84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Move Drift Solution?

54 Replies 4,569 Views Created 22-09-2010

I read on another forum that some thinks he's sorted the now infamous Move drift problem that so many people seem to be suffering from.  Remember this isnt me, I simply copied and pasted his words into this forum, unfortunately I'm at work at the moment so I cant test it out to see if it works, if it does though let us all know.

Right, solved the move drift issue. I got the help from Kung fu rider set up screen, which says when you calibrate, you MUST point HORIZONTALLY at the camera and the camera is also horizontal.

So, I did the following ;

1. Put the camera on bottom of the Plasma 42 inch TV. Its at thigh height.
Put it horizontal.

2. Sit 2m at least away.

3. calibrate pointing horizontally directly at the eye at the start of any move game, both horizontal, directly at it.

4. When playing shoot on start screen, doing the circular movement rapidly and its possible the pointer can drift a little, BUT the Gyro moves the pointer back in line !!!!

This worked when sitting down directly infront of the EYE about 2 m away. I then moved to the side so at 20 deg angle to TV (2 player) and the drift corrected itself.

YOOOAAAW,....

The set up I had before I had the camera on top of the TV, and to get the image right as I as too close the camera pointed maybe 10 degrees downard. when I calibrated I had to point maybe 10-20 degrees upards towards the eye when sitting down on the couch. The pointer drifted when flailing the pointer and corrected itself the wrong way and drifted.

So, Kung fu rider is pants, but at least the start screen shows you in pciture form how to calibrate, and following it religiously your gyro / magnetometer or whatever ist called will correct itself in a bout 2 -3 seconds after say 15 seconds of vigorous shaking.

So so happy. Just wish I did not have to figure it out...

Maybe I will post in a new thread...

So try it out and let us know if it works, it sounds like it should work and it could also explain why some people are having the drift problem and why some arent.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Workshed

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Workshed
Accepted Solution

Mine is drifting an annoying amount in Dead Space Extraction, House of the Dead Overkill and Child of Eden, did anyone ever find a solution?

I'm pretty sure it's not lighting as I've moved house and had the same drift issues in both living rooms.

0 Kudos

Re: Move Drift Solution?

/16

MadchesterManc

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MadchesterManc
Accepted Solution
Dead Space Extraction used to drift a bit for me (it was manageable tho) I think most people had an issue on this so its more than likely a sofware issue on the game side of things. If theres no patch I doubt it will be fixed ( wasn't patched the whole time I had it)

HOTD Overkill has a bit of drift too for me, but again manageable (usually 1-2cm to the left lol) Luckily this game has a nifty feature whereby a quick press of the SELECT button will return the cursor to its original calibrated position. I don't much drift with this game but its quickly fixed when I do.

As for Child of Eden Ive never had any drift so I can't help ya there mate (Incredible game in 3D tho)
0 Kudos

/16

Masquerada

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Masquerada
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

/16

Uzeven

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Uzeven
Accepted Solution

This is bugging me too, all games so far does this.

I got Resident Evil 5, same thing..

Sony, please watch this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF7bo8V1fSY&feature=channel

0 Kudos

/16

wannabemovefan

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
wannabemovefan
Accepted Solution

Wanted to post here as there seems to be a lot of knowledge within this forum and also because other users here look to be experiencing similar issues regarding the drift.

This is a lengthy first post (so of course don’t read if you don’t want to) only because I am trying to explain as much as possible about what I have experienced in order to be most efficient and not waste your time.  To do that, I simply looked at the many questions, comments and potential solutions from other forums and tried to address these ahead of time for you.  Hopefully, this more detailed all-in-one-note approach might also help other potential buyers at least know to look to buy Move locally where they have a trial period and easy return access if needed.   I’ll also give a little personal background as that seems to sometimes take up multiple needless posts of people going back and forth second guessing motive saying so and so is a hater or a fanboy, etc. until that person finally clarifies.

First off, I got the Move package yesterday along with 3 extra controllers (no other games) and was understandably excited about playing it.  Fast forward - hours later that night and today, no luck getting acceptable performance on Table Tennis and Gladiator (the games I really tried out) at all due to the drift which was a major bummer especially because I have loved the PS3 itself from day 1 and have suggested it to many (and still would besides Move so far).  As a side note, I have never had a Wii - but have played it before and enjoyed it like most anyone even if it is not super accurate. That said, I have no plans to get an XBOX or Wii as I wanted blu-ray in the same box and do not need or want two systems.  One other point just for reference - I am one of those that thinks small inconveniences you can get around easily in a system that don’t impact performance are not a big deal.  For example, I didn’t care, and still don’t, that Netflix needs a disk for the PS3 (of course, I’ll sure take it when it won’t need it soon too).  I also don’t care that there’s a recalibration each time you play a Move game as it’s super fast.  Because of that, even if I had seen the drift posts from many forums, I’m guessing I might have gone ahead with the purchase and thought, I’m sure it will be fine (especially as many people say there are fixes) and some of the people are just complaining about something small or there’s a very low amount of problems.  Well, that sadly turned out not to be the case personally (at least so far without a software update if there is one forthcoming).

To the issue, I noticed almost right away this weird drift when playing the first game, Table Tennis.  After a couple volleys where I hit some harder shots I would soon be hitting from the right side and it would show me essentially reversed and backhand and this off-center stuff kept happening.  It’s not slightly off I’m talking about, it can get majorly off, quickly and very often.  Then, the same thing happened with Gladiator as the center position became off so quickly.  Next, as others have said, I noticed even on the opening menu screen with the 6 pictures, that if I moved it right and left relatively quickly (requirements for harder shots in table tennis or smashes in Gladiator Duel), it drifted slightly right and stayed there when pointing straight on.  By the second quick left right motion, it had drifted even further, and more importantly, still stayed to the right.  The third left right shaking made it even go beyond the right side of the screen when pointing at the center.  The only even slight auto fixing I found was by doing an up and down more vigorous shaking which after a couple times brings it somewhat back in line but still quite far off from center.  One other point of note - the camera always seemed to pick me up totally fine no matter where it was.

I was quite surprised with all this as I had no idea an issue like this existed whatsoever so I took a look online and saw many discussing the issues and posting video that showed the same problem and that got me here.

Based on many forums and online comments, I tried many proposed solutions: placed the camera in multiple positions (and different angles as well as trying arm in each directly at it and also by the side), stood at multiple different distances and even tried camera on non-wide angle a couple times, played in light vs. dark, recalibrated all the ways possible, changed refresh rate, turned off magnetic sensor, etc.  The result was no change at all as the drift still occurred with pronounced left to right shaking (which, again, is what many of these games require).  These exact issues were recreated with 2 separate controllers so I didn’t even open the 3rd and 4th I bought.

Additionally, like others, I also noticed how every time I went back to the XMB screen it seemed to work fine (no drift) even with a few separate times of more forceful left to right shaking.  (This gives me some hope as do many of the points on this forum stating it seem like various software issues).

To summarize, if I calibrate the controller and then point it at the TV, I don’t think it’s asking for too much that it should always be on center (I’ll even take slightly off) especially as the shaking doesn’t even have to be overly rigorous (no more than what’s expected if you played a game of table tennis and hitting some harder shots).

The above said, still willing to wait for a week or so before returning it to see if the issue gets resolved as I have really liked the PS3.  Additionally, I did get a glimmer of how amazing the games could be the when they worked for slight bits of time and also I really want the motion tech but don’t want to buy another separate box.  However, unless new info on a true fix comes out (which would be great), it’s going back to the store .   I understandably am not willing to be left holding the bag past the 30 day return period and would just look to rebuy later if this kink gets worked out.

Thanks and any latest updates would be greatly appreciated.  And as a last comment to Sony, you have someone here who is basically begging to give you an additional $250 ($100+$50 x 3).  It sure also doesn’t sound like this is a solitary view and there are also many who haven’t bought yet so this issue will only increase until rectified.

Sincerely

Wanna Be Move Fan

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Xucas

55%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Xucas
Accepted Solution

I have little to no drift issues ... I only noticed a bit on Tumble ... seeing as it requires milimetric precision (sometimes to center blocks on top of each others). 

I see normal trembling of the cursor, normal as hands normaly do tremble a bit.

but it was a bit abnormal as it moved the block i'm holding in 3d space (forwards and backwards).

my move is always pink/purple ... which colours do the people with more problems usually have?

0 Kudos

/16

KAPBAM

44%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KAPBAM
Accepted Solution

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Lol. I tried this and it FINALLY worked. My Move controllers had been collecting dust for two weeks now because I was so frustrated with them. I placed the camera below the TV, at waist height. I put the Move controller at the exact height of the camera when I calibrate (it's at the height of my belly button, so it's easy to get it right each time.

I was having big problems with Sports Champion. To a non gamer, it may not have seemed like a problem, but to the trained gamer (that's me lol) you could easily tell there were issues. In Archery for example, you would be aiming at the wrong place after a while or your aim would go wild after pulling the arrow back (as in it would shoot to the top right of the screen!).

The Shoot finally works right as well! It's not perfect, but you can tell that's a game issue now, not a "wandering cursor issue"! My aim is finally as accurate as the game will allow, meaning there is noticeable lag in the cursor following your aim, but this lag is not apparent in other games. However after the cursor catches up (we're talking milliseconds here) the aim is right. I've noticed player 2's aim is a little harder to work with though, though I can't say for sure if the cause is the game or the controllers. Again though, after seeing how smooth everything is with both these games, I now think any further issues are the games' software.

Again, thank you for posting this. I was about to give up on Move, which saddened me dearly as I love when Sony comes up with great stuff like this! Now I get to enjoy it and all the great stuff to come... I'm looking at you Killzone 3! :D

0 Kudos

/16

Miths000

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Miths000
Accepted Solution
Unless I want to glue the camera directly onto the TV screen around a third of the height from the bottom, having it at the same height as where I hold my Move when I sit down just ain't gonna happen :). Not to mention it would then be far too low for games where I stand up.
I think I'll just stick to having it mounted at the top of my TV and hope developers get better at correcting this issue. So far most of my drifting problems have been in the The Shoot demo (I'm still considering picking up the full game tomorrow though) and the Tumble demo.
0 Kudos

::::::::::
Currently playing: Dead Island (PC), Dirt 3 (PS3), GT5 (PS3)
PS3 video (hdmi) -> 51" Samsung PS51D550 plasma 3D TV
PS3 audio (optical) -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic -> Firestone Audio Cute Beyond headphone amp -> Sennheiser HD650
Additional hardware: Logitech G25 wheel/pedals, 2x Move + Nav Controller
/16

Parv-B

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Parv-B
Accepted Solution

Miths000 wrote:
Unless I want to glue the camera directly onto the TV screen around a third of the height from the bottom, having it at the same height as where I hold my Move when I sit down just ain't gonna happen :). Not to mention it would then be far too low for games where I stand up.
I think I'll just stick to having it mounted at the top of my TV and hope developers get better at correcting this issue. So far most of my drifting problems have been in the The Shoot demo (I'm still considering picking up the full game tomorrow though) and the Tumble demo.

Agreed. I like playing Move games whilst I stand up; it makes me feel more immersed in the games.

I've also found another solution which could help quite a few of you. Although I haven't tried it properly myself, I think it could help a lot of you guys out.

You could try switching off the Move controller. Simple. To do this, hold down the PS button (small button underneath the Move button on the front), and do this for a few seconds until a screen comes up with some options. Pick the option which says 'Switch off controller'. Then all you have to do press the PS button again to switch the controller back on.

Hope this helps, especially to the 'Wanna be Move' person. I saw some guy do this technique on youtube, so I hope this works out for most of you out there.

0 Kudos

/16
42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GrilledCheese_84
Accepted Solution

Feel free to comment. I'm not a tech, this is just what I discovered and now my move controller is FIXED. Pretty much.

I have had all the problem

I have read all the”fixes”

I also suck at spelling...

Also to all those that write comments trying to discredit the problems others are having.

PLEASE STOP. It it so annoying.

First off to all those that say the ps3 move controller aim doesnt drift.

Congraduations! Yours doesnt, but it does exist. Mine used to drift well over a foot off

Yes the orb on the move is used for aiming. The move can do it without the orb but it reduces its accuracy and also leads to drift (I tried this by covering to orb and then uncovering it and watching the aimer on scream snap back to being more accurate.

Huh.... the eye cant see the orb and the aim drifts more. Interesting

this got me thinking.

when you calibrate your controller in game the first thing you do is aim the move controller at the ps eye and hit the move button.

The camera at this point tends to increase its brightness (noticed this playing The Fight lights out). But from what i can tell it now also decreased the significance of the orbs brigthness compared to the back ground, there by making the orb more difficult to track, leading to drift (kinda like covering the orb up, but now kinda blending it into the background)

from what i can tell the eye increase its brightness like you would do on a handhold camera, etc.

So... on a make believe brightness scale of 1-10 (assuming the eye wants a brightness of 10 in the room)

If my living room background brightness is 8, then when i calibrate move the camera increase its brightness by 2 making the brightness of the room at a 10.

But now the orb is blending in.

So after calibrating the controller and accepting it. turn off all the lights and say now the background brightness is a 4 but the camera is calibrated for a 2 point brightness increase which now leaves the total brightness at 6 compared to the 10 that it wanted to set the brightness to. So now the orb is significantly more brighter than the background and the eye can track it better.

This is how i fixed my move controllers so I can play killzone 3 with the sharpshooter and actually enjoy it instead of obsessing over the drifting aim.

1. like me you probably have messed with your move controller ALOT, so just reset it (little pin hole in bottom of move controller. Then go to the menu bar -->accessories -->calibrate move. Make sure the move is at the same height and directly in front of the eye. Also I leave my magnetometer on as I found it made the drifting worse when it was off, others experienced the same effect but then others said it fixed their problem.

2. Turn on your favourite move supported shooter video game (mine: Killzone3)

3. Make the viewing area of where the ps eye can see as BRIGHT as possible (turn on all the lights, open the blinds, etc.

4. Calibrate you controller as instructions, accept the calibration and play the game from that spot (note I haven't experienced a diff if the eye is at the same level of the controller or not). .

5. Make the room as dark as possible.

6. Play the game

Note: problem may occur if you cant get a significant enough brightness change. Its winter here now so there is plenty of dark but I dont know about when summer comes. A dark basement would be best I think.

And thats it.

Here's some answers to some questions

1. The drifting aim is not due to a drifting camera that is moving

2. The drifting aim does exist, its not just fussy people bitching over a couple mm, mine has been as much as a foot or more off

3. when calibrating in the XMB it does not matter if you use your left had or right. Its just a picture to show you to stabilise the move when doing the calibration

4. the drifting aim occurs if you dont move the move controller, if you move it gently, and if you move it vigorously

5. the move controller uses both the controller and the orb attached for aiming. Although it can still aim without the orb but less accurately and with more drift

6. I have no idea why moving the move controller up and down seems to help centre the aim again, but it does.

7. I know nothing about the tech so the problem could be partially game related by them doing a crappy job implementing the move functionality into their game, but i do think its software related as im assuming software is involved in changing the brightness see by the ps eye .

8. I dont calibrate in game with my controller level with the ps eye. I have the eye on top of the tv and I sit on the couch. Others say it makes a diff. Honestly nothing suggested has been the “fix” for me, just the lighting thing that i figured out.

0 Kudos

/16
42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GrilledCheese_84
Accepted Solution

New Note for this post regarding lighting during calibration in game

Shining a flashlight into the PS Eye will cause the image that the PS eye sees to be white (too much light)

When you calibrate the controller in the game, the ps eye with actually decrease the brightness of what it sees.  Then you just have to turn off the flashlight and a brightly lit room will apear dimmly lit through the ps eye, thereby causing the orbs on the move controllers to be significantly brighter than the background.  This effect can be even more increase by then also shutting off the other light sources.

Cheers!

0 Kudos

/16
42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GrilledCheese_84
Accepted Solution

k well that has its flaws too

if the lights too bright the camera cant reduce the brightness enough and you end up with white blobs which im thinking are blind spots.  Also it causes it to drift and covering up the orb and having it exposed  doesnt seem to make a difference when its white out bright during calibration.  Guess where I was sitting was in the white blob area

oops!

As much as I was thought and was hoping that this was the great fix.  It seems to have its flaws.

the other day it was fantastic.  Today not so much. Still far better than not messing with the lighting.  For me anyways.

I would say it has reduced drift significantly but not entirely.

And the quest for a no drift fix remains.

Im gonna run some more trials and will give an update.

0 Kudos

/16
42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GrilledCheese_84
Accepted Solution

Ok the light blob thing doesnt exist.

I dont know what i was thinking.

but I did noticed that some times the flashlight trick may not work cause the ps eye will send a message that its too bright and wont allow you to calibrate.

0 Kudos

/16

booker2121

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
booker2121
Accepted Solution
i don`t think there is a solution for this. Sony needs to patch this.
i tried all recommendation nothing have worked.
0 Kudos

/16

SlickkWilly

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SlickkWilly
Accepted Solution

Worst part about this is Sony sold us on the accuracy of the product and is just ignoring their loyal fans and consumers when they are crying out about some real issues.

I have been real polite and am yet to get an acknowledgement of this going on and them working on it. Here are a few forums with ongoing conversations about this. I have a group of local people getting material together as well.

It is terrible. At least my self and the group of people around me have been huge Sony and PS Move supporters throughout and we are getting silent treatment after purchasing product with defects.

If it is not defective, come out and say so. If you don't know come out and say so and at least acknowledge there is a problem out there they are working on.

Anything at this point may restore a little faith. I have discontiued buying anything Sony right now until I see how they ultimately handle this.

I mean I have kids and a family to take care of. I am not sure why I should be spending endless hours with consumer service and my own idea trouble shooting to solve something that they keep telling me in writing and in spoken word should not and is not happening.

keep making noise. Open up more forums. Maybe if the complaints start reaching potential buyers ears, then they will at least speak out about this.

http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-3-PS3/Move-Controller-constantly-losing-calibration/td-p/7...

http://boards.ign.com/playstation_move_games/b24901/200205890/r200303607/?statusId=PostReplySuccess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA5NWLV7SrY

http://boards.ign.com/playstation_move_games/b24901/200205890/p1/?0

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27589524

http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-3-PS3/Killzone-3-Controls-Discussion/m-p/772489

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/996959-killzone-3/58242446/645923755

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/30971708?tstart=0

http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-3-PS3/Ps-Move-problem/m-p/747115

http://www.youtube.com/TerryxMasters

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Move/Move-Drifting-I-think-its-software-and-here-...

If that is not enough

There are more...  

0 Kudos

/16

MadchesterManc

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MadchesterManc
Accepted Solution

You do understand that the drift problem is software based on the side of the game? right? Its not Sonys fault if developers cannot suffiecently code properly or are blissfully unaware of any isssues so they dont release a patch to fix it. Ive had a Move since launch and Ive encountered drift once. On Time Crisis Razing Storm. That was until a patch was released that addressed the issue and now its fine. see? software based issue.  Dead Space Extraction and The Shoot have drift issues that are yet to be sorted out with patches. If your using the Move with either of these games, theres your problem. Otherwise your not calibrating correctly or, unfortunatly, you have a defective Move (in which case take it back for a replacement?). Just because your having issues it deosnt mean that the Move sucks or Sony needs to go to hell or whatever people wail these days as not everyone is having issues. Like I said Ive had a Move since launch, used it on about a dozen games and never had a problem (other than the one stated)

Ive used the Move with -

Killzone3

MAG

RUSE

Heavy Rain

RE5

TC : Razing Storm

Eyepet

The Fight

Tumble

JD : Prostroke

If your having issues with any of these, Your not calibrating correctly OR you have a defective Move. Simple..

0 Kudos

/16
42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GrilledCheese_84
Accepted Solution

qucki post

been messing around still

saw a link to this guy who actually knew what he was talking about and the light adjustment is based on how bright the ps eye see the orb on the end of the move controller.

so just shine a light on the orb insted of the eye and the room will calibrate darker.

Also been messing with angles

insted of having the tv on the bottom or the top of the tv I have placed it about 2 feet above the tv

the aim is awsome now.  like the one good day i had before

still will drift slightly but it seems a gental side to side motion keeps it in place

oddly enough now the up and down which centered it before acutally is making it drift

and i noticed that it may drift if not aim around at all

but not really sure, just kinda noticed it

all in all though it seems to be fine now

lets see if tomorrow im pulling my hair out again though.

0 Kudos

/16
42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GrilledCheese_84
Accepted Solution

I Give UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One day it was amazing.  Flawless. Dead on shooting.

Today.     CRAP.

I think my entire theory just came crashing down.

at what point is a 50 dollar accessory no longer worth the effort put in to get it to work the way it should.

Hmmm... hours of pondering a soulution.  Hours of testing it.  A few minutes of making an ***** out of myself online.  Its not looking good.

A few more months, mabye a year and I swear im done move shooter games.

0 Kudos

/16
42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GrilledCheese_84
Accepted Solution

When I point the move controller straight up it recalibrates perfectly

removing all the drift.

Who ever reads this do you best to figure out the reason.

I dont think Im done with the light idea.

Worked once so I must have changed something for todays trials.

0 Kudos

/16
42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GrilledCheese_84
Accepted Solution

INTERESTING

so i though i had it figured out again and i stubbled on to a thing i havent heard of yet

when i have the ps eye plugged directly into my ps3 with no attachment/extentions along the way

then my aim works fine and it doesnt drift

but i attached an usb extension cord to it and plugged it in and the aim went back to the usual *****ty drift and any movement sent it on its way to what ever it felt like doing

now i got this good aim once before and i thought it was because of the light (which i was messing around with at the time) but then like not it just seemed to disapear.

i cant say because i mess with it so much and pull this cord and put the camera here and turn of that light that i may have changed the camera usb set up and didnt pay attention to it

Right now the camera is 2 feet about my tv (messing with angles right now, figure better triangulation, no idea what im doing really) and the camera is pluged directly into the ps3 with no extension or attachments

So try it out.  Plug the camera directly into the ps3 and see if it helps. 

cheers!

0 Kudos

/16
42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GrilledCheese_84
Accepted Solution
Feel free to comment. Im not a techy, this is just what I discovered and now my move controller is FIXED. Pretty much. I have had all the problem I have read all the”fixes” I also suck at spelling... Also to all those that write comments trying to discredit the problems others are having. PLEASE STOP. It it so annoying. First off to all those that say the ps3 move controller aim doesnt drift. Congraduations! Yours doesnt, but it does exist. Mine used to drift well over a foot off Yes the orb on the move is used for aiming. The move can do it without the orb but it reduces its accuracy and also leads to drift (I tried this by covering to orb and then uncovering it and watching the aimer on scream snap back to being more accurate. Huh.... the eye cant see the orb and the aim drifts more. Interesting this got me thinking. when you calibrate your controller in game the first thing you do is aim the move controller at the ps eye and hit the move button. The camera at this point tends to increase its brightness (noticed this playing The Fight lights out). But from what i can tell it now also decreased the significance of the orbs brigthness compared to the back ground, there by making the orb more difficult to track, leading to drift (kinda like covering the orb up, but now kinda blending it into the background) from what i can tell the eye increase its brightness like you would do on a handheld camera, etc. So... on a make believe brightness scale of 1-10 (assuming the eye wants a brightness of 10 in the room) If my living room background brightness is 8, then when i calibrate move the camera increase its brightness by 2 makeing the brightness of the room at a 10. But now the orb is blending in. So after calibrating the controller and accepting it. turn off all the lights and say now the background brightness is a 4 but the camera is calibrated for a 2 point brightness increase which now leaves the total brightness at 6 compared to the 10 that it wanted to set the brightness to. So now the orb is significantly more brighter than the background and the eye can track it better. This is how i fixed my move controllers so I can play killzone 3 with the sharpshooter and actually enjoy it instead of obsessing over the drifting aim. 1. like me you probably have messed with your move controller ALOT, so just reset it (little pin hole in bottom of move controller. Then go to the menu bar -->accessories -->calibrate move. Make sure the move is at the same height and directly in front of the eye. Also I leave my magnetometer on as I found it made the drifting worse when it was off, others experienced the same effect but then others said it fixed their problem. 2. Turn on your favorite move supported shooter video game (mine: Killzone3) 3. Make the viewing area of where the ps eye can see as BRIGHT as possible (turn on all the lights, open the blinds, etc. 4. Calibrate you controller as instructions, accept the calibration and play the game from that spot (note I havent experienced a diff if the eye is at the same level of the controller or not). . 5. Make the room as dark as possible. 6. Play the game Note: problem may occur if you cant get a significant enough brightness change. Its winter here now so there is plenty of dark but I dont know about when summer comes. A dark basement would be best I think. And thats it. Here's some answers to some questions 1. The drifting aim is not due to a drifting camera that is moving 2. The drifting aim does exist, its not just fussy people bitching over a couple mm, mine has been as much as a foot or more off 3. when calibrating in the XMB it does not matter if you use your left had or right. Its just a picture to show you to stabalize the move when doing the calibration 4. the drifting aim occurs if you dont move the move controller, if you move it gently, and if you move it vigerously 5. the move controller uses both the controller and the orb attached for aiming. Although it can still aim without the orb but less accuratly and with more drift 6. I have no idea why moving the move controller up and down seems to help center the aim again, but it does. 7. I know nothing about the tech so the problem could be partially game related by them doing a crappy job implementing the move functionality into their game, but i do think its software related as im assuming software is involved in changing the brightness see by the ps eye . 8. I dont calibrate in game with my controller level with the ps eye. I have the eye on top of the tv and I sit on the couch. Others say it makes a diff. Honestly nothing suggested has been the “fix” for me, just the lighting thing that i figured out.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel