23 Sep 2010

Playstation Staff

PS3 move - Problem with playstation eye?

28 Replies 12,499 Views Created 23-09-2010

Hey guys I bought the PS3 move starter pack at the day of release (september 15th in Denmark), and i hooked it up the very same day to test it out. It worked like a charm, but since i only had some demoes i only played for a few minutes. Yesterday i wanted to try it out again before i buy additional controllers and games, but ever since i've not been able to connect the playstation eye. I've spent the past two days googleing the problem, but i can't seem to find a solution. When i go to the menu --> accessory settings --> Camera device settings, it basically says that 'no device is found', or 'The camera in use may not be compatible with the PS3 system'. I hope some of you guys can help me.

Ps. I have the 'Fat' 60 GB PS3 version.

- Danny

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29 (12,499 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 move - Problem with playstation eye?

[ Edited ]

Hello There,

Just could you shed a little more light on your situation :--

a)Have you tried all the USB ports on your PS3?

b)Are you using a USB hub to connect the Eye?

c)Have you tested your Eye with a PC,and did it work?(eliminate a broken camera) 

d)Have you updated your PS3 to Ver 3.50 since you last used the camera?

e)Is your PS Eye an official one?Since the 3.50 update the PS3 no longer supports unofficial controllers(not fully confirmed though).

Hopefully by answering some of the above,myself or someone else can help eliminate the issue:Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29 (12,495 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hey Bazz

I'll try to shed some light on the situation:

a>> I have tried all USB slots on my PS3.

b>> No, i'm not using a USB hub.

c>> I just tried to hook it up on my laptop with no luck. I installed the 'CL-eye Test' driver, but i couldn't connect the camera properly. 

d>> I updated my PS3 to version 3.50 a couple of days ago, which means that the first time i tried (and was successful) playstation move was on another firmware. 

e>> I bought the official playstation Move starter kit, which featured the playstation eye, a move controller and some demoes.

Would this indicate that the camera is broken? I find it very strange that it worked the very first time i tested it, but after an official firmware update it doesn't. 

Thanks for your help so far. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29 (12,481 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Sorry to hear its still not working!!

Have you the correct drivers for your PC to recognize the Eye and do you have any friends around with a PS3 to test it on?

Sorry for all the questions,but its the only process to eliminate if you've a defective PS Eye.I'm no expert!

Have you tried to connect any other USB devices to the PS3 i.e controllers?

Seems that this is a new purchase you might have to return it and get a replacement.Unless(fingers crossed that it's not) your PS3 has become defective since the update!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29 (12,467 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 move - Problem with playstation eye?s e

If its easy to send back just do it. Like if its a retail store but if its online you may want to ensure it is definately faulty.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29 (12,463 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I've tried numerous USB controlled devices on my PS3, such as an external harddrive, and they run just fine. It really sounds like the device itself is broken, but what still bothers me is that it seems like it happened right after i upgraded to 3.50. Unfortunately i can't test the camera on other PS3's. I guess i'll return it to the store tomorrow. I'll give you guys an update right after i get a new one. :smileyhappy:

Ps. Thanks for your advices, much appreciated. 

- Danny

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29 (12,455 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Again sorry to hear you had no luck with it.Hope the exchange solves the problem.Excuse my wording!But I'll keep an "Eye" on this thread,to see how you get on:smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29 (12,451 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Today i brought the playstation eye back to the store, and got a new one. Initial tests shows that the new camera words fine. :BigGrin:

Thanks for the big help guys! 

- Danny

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29 (12,308 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Thats Great to hear,hopefully things will continue to run smoothly for you.Enjoy :Winner:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29 (12,298 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

hi guys, i am having the same problem...tried all the above...replaced the camera with a new one.. same crap, even formatted the hdd..lost all my saves....about to trade the thing in for an xbox 360...really ***** off

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29 (12,029 Views)
0 Kudos