17 Dec 2012
By bazgona
Playstation Staff

wonderbook

9 Replies 1,444 Views Created 17-12-2012

Im thinking of buying the wonderbook for my son who is 6. What id like to know is is it worth it, I already have the camera and move controller, thanks for your opinions

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10 (1,444 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: wonderbook

[ Edited ]

Are you buying it under pressure from your son or because you seen an advert for it...

If you seen it from an advert then the fact your posting here answers you own question...

Its only worth it if they are into magic, Currently there is only 1 title. The replay value is not there, They will do it once and never replay it. SCEE know this so its not a full value product and only <£20. Its released so that they can get the Book out there, they can then work in getting better titles out and get you to pay for the Games only then. if the user base is big enough.

Wonderbook Is just an extension of EYEPET Magic card, PSV and PSP AR cards tech... 

If your child adapts to only looking at the HDTV screen only they will enjoy it.

If they look at there hand, then TV, then hand again, then TV again. It will ruin it...

You already own the PSeye and Know most of the demo Video footage IS fake, The demo units have different specs and will run the camera feed at better quality, The PS Eye is not a £50.000 professional camera... its a free bee given with bundles most times. You will allready know the quality of the camera...

This realy is A Very limited market product unlike the other PS Eye product. Which Even adults could like due to the technology used..

This coulds be very BIG if SCEE got Nick, Disney ( Signed up but no announced product ) or Dreamworks to release sequal content for wonderbook from their big series names.  A low Brand product will kinda signal that they don't care and likely result in low sales. 

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 15 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10 (1,435 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

hey hey

my son tried this at gadget show live and I sat and watched with interest... 

Its not to bad and is pretty generic fare for a move game.  Its a task orientated game rather than a linear story or adventure.  We played a bug shooting mini game and we sat and watched others play a shooting game variant (shot a bolt spell at rats)  There was no real difference in what you did and both were simple variations on a theme. 

There is a good ammount of content to master and you get a skill rating after each mini game.  The onscreen ui does appear to be child friendly but can be disorientating. you see yourself inthe upper corner as well as a cluttered UI considering the actual game space. 

The book is horrendus. It is literaly giant AR cards for every page and I think they made  ahuge mistake here. It could of had an AR code inthe corner of the page and the book be illustrated but instead its giant AR cards and nothing more. 

IF he wants it because of the adds then he might be dissapointed and you could do better wioth Sorcery or Meadevil Moves (which is very very simple but fun)    Make sure you get a good look at the book first as he may have thought that its illustrated but its sadly cheap and nasty.

Dunno about the game as a whole but I get the impression that its a mini game rather than a full product of any value.  Its got a decent price point and I don't think you can go wrong in all honesty. As a gamer... its poor but for a 6yr old it is hard to pass up.  Meadevil moves would be better for sure but kids can get obsessed and if they really want something that bad then anything else is dissapointing.

google for some reviews and check amazon etc for buyer reviews. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (1,414 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Thanks for your coments, ive bought it, it was in game for £17 so not to bad ive shown my kid videos on utube and he still likes it,i have explained the book is blank and all the animation is on the tv he says he understands told him its like eyepet, i have allready got medievil moves which he enjoys. i will see next tuesday if he likes it or not.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (1,400 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Diggs Nightcrawler looks like it could be fun :smileyhappy:

Here is the trailer from the 2012 Gamescon

The BBC are even getting into the Wonderbook with Walking With Dinosaurs (2012 Gamescon trailer)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (1,078 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Mikal_Drey wrote:

The book is horrendus. It is literaly giant AR cards for every page and I think they made  ahuge mistake here. It could of had an AR code inthe corner of the page and the book be illustrated but instead its giant AR cards and nothing more. 

What were you expecting?

A new book tailor made for each new Wonderbook release??

That would just be stupid and drive the cost of each game up significantly!!

One book = You covered for EVERY new Wonderbook release.

The whole concept is when you are playing the game and looking at the book (on the TV) it will look totally unique. Who cares what it looks like when you are not playing a game??

You are hardly going to snuggle up on the sofa and read a book of AR cards now are you?

Then again I don't know you and this maybe what you had in mind?! :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (1,074 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Well it looks like the SCE UK big wigs got the sales they wanted..

MCV interview..

Wonderbook was SCEE’s big Christmas PS3 title. Were you disappointed with its sales?

Gara: It could have sold better, but it sold respectively well. I am encouraged that we have more titles coming and it may just take a little longer to get it to settle in consumer’s consciousness.

It was also relatively expensive if you didn’t already have a PlayStation 3 or a Move controller. But I think as people learn it’s about more titles, then that would give it some added momentum.

Murray Pannell, UK marketing director: From a marketing perspective, Wonderbook was an important step in becoming more family-focused as a platform. That is not an easy job to do and can take years to achieve.

Crap wanted SCE to make the more hard core title push... remake the grim brothers books but with out the kids friendly version were the wolf actualy kills red. 

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 15 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (852 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I understand having a generic book working for all games, but I've played Eye of Judgment, using cards with 90% of the card being the card layout and the picture and only 10% being the AR code.

Maybe they could have done the upper line of the book with the AR code and for each game drawn pages that you put in the book

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (609 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Way to complex for out side the UK market... 

SCEE already learned that... From the original EYE PET.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10 (601 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

i bough this recently from cex for £6 without the camera and ps move.its ok but it is more for kids.theres a new 'game' coming out (i dont know if its already been relesed) called diggs nightcrawler.i think that this is a bit too late this far in the ps3's life cycle with the ps4 coming out and theres no backwards compatibility for games and peripherals.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (467 Views)
0 Kudos