By owenp185

owenp185

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

American family sues Landlord because...

[ Edited ]
23 Replies 391 Views edited 15-04-2012

...the house was haunted. :smileyindifferent: :Lol:

Article link

A New Jersey couple is suing their landlord for a refund after they said paranormal activity caused them to flee their rental home.

Michele Callan and her fiance, Josue Chinchilla, moved into the home in Toms River, N.J., with Callan’s two children on March 1 and were immediately spooked.

“Three taps on the TV, taps on the shoulder…” Chinchilla told ABC News.

At first they chalked it up to the adjustment period of moving into a new home.

But things only got spookier, they said.

Doors opened and closed. The family even claimed they recorded strange voices whispering, “Let it burn.”

The new tenants said that between the menacing voices, flickering lights and clothes mysteriously flying from their closets, they couldn’t take it anymore. They fled the three-bedroom home and checked into a hotel, where they said they have been living since March 13.

Callan and Chinchilla filed suit last week in New Jersey Superior Court, seeking the return of their $2,250 security deposit from their landlord, Richard Lopez.

Lopez filed a counter-suit claiming the couple is using alleged paranormal activity as a way to break their lease.

“Frankly, there is something else going on,” David Semanchik, who is Lopez’s lawyer, told the Asbury Park Press. “She is a single mom, she has this fiancé living with her. I think she is in over her head and she can’t afford the rent.”

The couple said that isn’t the case, but ultimately a judge will have the final word on whether the family will be able to escape their alleged nightmare on Lowell Avenue.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
- - - - - - - - - - - -
www.owenprescott.com
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Chuk_Chuk

77%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Chuk_Chuk
Accepted Solution
Or it could be a burglar messing with them for lols.
0 Kudos

Re: American family sues Landlord because...

You can't save time only spend it.
Sneeze
/16

Strangesam

98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Strangesam
Accepted Solution

It would be 'lols' as well :)

*muhahaha*

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

/16

dannyjt

88%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dannyjt
Accepted Solution
Wow the American legal system baffles me sometimes.

0 Kudos

TonightWeRide2.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/people_of_the_honey

/16

Gawge

83%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Gawge
Accepted Solution

dannyjt wrote:

I'm going to sue you for that.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

dannyjt wrote:

But it's going exactly the same way here, with the blame-and-claim culture that is being pushed by slimeball lawyers, and readily embraced by greedy people unconstrained by morality.

0 Kudos

/16

Izorpo

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Izorpo
Accepted Solution

My mother use to work in small claims court in the US - one of the cases she sat on was a man had brought a case against a vet because the vet had brushed the dogs teeth and they fell out

the man sued the vet over trauma to the dog (mostly mental anguish) as the dog had lost his confidence and only let out pitiful yelps and couldn't seemingly bark properly after that

in all fairness to the dog - it probably was traumatic dogs don't generally gum bones and his days of chewing were over

the high point of the trial was when the dog "gave evidence" attempting to bark but more like pathetic yelping

can't remember who won - but it makes me glad I moved over to the UK because things in the states just get too freaking weird sometimes

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

englishgolfer

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
englishgolfer
Accepted Solution

Izorpo wrote:

My mother use to work in small claims court in the US - one of the cases she sat on was a man had brought a case against a vet because the vet had brushed the dogs teeth and they fell out

the man sued the vet over trauma to the dog (mostly mental anguish) as the dog had lost his confidence and only let out pitiful yelps and couldn't seemingly bark properly after that

in all fairness to the dog - it probably was traumatic dogs don't generally gum bones and his days of chewing were over

the high point of the trial was when the dog "gave evidence" attempting to bark but more like pathetic yelping

can't remember who won - but it makes me glad I moved over to the UK because things in the states just get too freaking weird sometimes

if they brought the dog into the court house on a leash, i'd would have jump up and screamed

"objection your honour (or honor in american)! the prosecution is leading the witness".

0 Kudos

/16
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LittleBigDragonz
Accepted Solution

englishgolfer wrote:

Izorpo wrote:

if they brought the dog into the court house on a leash, i'd would have jump up and screamed

"objection your honour (or honor in american)! the prosecution is leading the witness".

ROFLMAO!!

0 Kudos

/16

owenp185

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
owenp185
Accepted Solution

I think the ghost should sue the Landlord to to be honest. :P

0 Kudos

- - - - - - - - - - - -
www.owenprescott.com
/16

xElfenLied_US

85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xElfenLied_US
Accepted Solution
Well I know what I'll do when I get a place of my own and can't afford the rent :D
0 Kudos

Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
/16

Mike939

96%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mike939
Accepted Solution

xElfenLied_US wrote:
Well I know what I'll do when I get a place of my own and can't afford the rent :D

Kill the landlord?

0 Kudos

*All my spelling and grammar mistakes are on purpose.
/16

ProjectVRD

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution
So they waited until the ghost tapped the TV, turned on the lights, threw their clothes around, whispered "Let it burn" in the ears and actual physical contact before leaving the house?

Is it wrong for me to say we should expect this sort case considering one of them is a Mexican immigrant?
0 Kudos

I am going to be rude and ask you follow me 

@TweetScientific

If I had my own way then you wouldn't have a choice

But you will find out about some ridiculously awesome stuff,

Like QUANTUM TELEVISIONS!!!!

/16

Mr_Inconspicous

99%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mr_Inconspicous
Accepted Solution

Has anybody read the comments below :lol:

0 Kudos

/16

Mike939

96%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mike939
Accepted Solution
"Obama continues to sit on his hands on this issue."
0 Kudos

*All my spelling and grammar mistakes are on purpose.
/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution

I dont think they can win this case unless they prove that the landlord knew the house was haunted, maybe from complaints from previous tenants etc.

On the plus side the landlord will now have to disclose to any future buyers that the house is indeed haunted.

0 Kudos

/16

ProjectVRD

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution

fenian wrote:

I dont think they can win this case unless they prove that the landlord knew the house was haunted, maybe from complaints from previous tenants etc.

On the plus side the landlord will now have to disclose to any future buyers that the house is indeed haunted.

Before they can win such a case the judge would have to start another one in the Supreme Court that would establish the validity of such paranormal activity. As such this case will likely be thrown out, I would hope the judge sentences the two of them for wasting time.

0 Kudos

@TweetScientific

/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution

ProjectVRD wrote:

fenian wrote:

Before they can win such a case the judge would have to start another one in the Supreme Court that would establish the validity of such paranormal activity. As such this case will likely be thrown out, I would hope the judge sentences the two of them for wasting time.

I dont think they have to go to the supreme courts. In america they are supposed to do full disclosure, and tell you everything, if people have been murdered, committed suicide etc anything that can have a bearing on the price of the house.

You dont have to prove ghosts exist, just that complaints about them, or reports of them may impact the price and desirability of the premises and may have a bearing on the well being of people who live in the house if they believe the claims to be true.

Wether there are ghosts or not is irrelevant, if they have had complaints in the past it may go against them. If they havent had complaints then the person will lose as no judge would expect them to know that future guests may sense ghosts.

0 Kudos

/16

ProjectVRD

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution

fenian wrote:

ProjectVRD wrote:

fenian wrote:

I dont think they have to go to the supreme courts. In america they are supposed to do full disclosure, and tell you everything, if people have been murdered, committed suicide etc anything that can have a bearing on the price of the house.

You dont have to prove ghosts exist, just that complaints about them, or reports of them may impact the price and desirability of the premises and may have a bearing on the well being of people who live in the house if they believe the claims to be true.

Wether there are ghosts or not is irrelevant, if they have had complaints in the past it may go against them. If they havent had complaints then the person will lose as no judge would expect them to know that future guests may sense ghosts.

In this instance the existence of ghosts is entirely relevent, the complaint is that a haunting is the cause of them leaving and thus the higher more powerful courts would have to decide if there is a haunting for which there will need to be national consensus that such a thing can occur. As of yet there is no consensus in the United States that such a thing is possible so for the complaint to be successful it must be established first that the scenario can indeed be true. Declaring murders would be required because we know murder exists, you don't however have to declare ghosts as any complaints in the past are not founded.

These people are also claiming the haunting is the cause of them leaving, they ain't fighting him because he did not disclose it even if they try to say as such. Of which he would not need to disclose any notion of past hauntings because legally there is no such thing recognised as a paranormal haunting.

If the case was purely about the owner not disclosing any so called past hauntings, and no mention of them leaving because of the haunting, then the complaint would still be worthless because of the basis that ghosts or other simular paranormal cirumstances do not legally exist.

Therefore, this case will go the same route as all other cases like it, the judge will not deem it worthy of first establishing the validity of hauntings via the Supreme Court and will throw the case out. Apart from the entire lack of scientific evidence there is the cost to be tax payer. It all comes down to the validity of the possibility of a haunting being scientifically sound.

The defendent will then have his case and possibly be successful in his counter claim that they have breached contract.

0 Kudos

@TweetScientific

/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution

You dont have to prove anything project.

You only have to prove the landlord knew to get out of the contract.

For example, if you find out someone was murdered in a place where you lived, and you asked the landlord and he said there never was, you can get out of the contract.

If a landlord had complaints about hauntings and didnt tell new tenants, then they would lose the case instantly, why not tell? because they know it would make the property less diserable, and thats all it comes down to in these cases.

0 Kudos

/16

Gawge

83%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Gawge
Accepted Solution
So, if your landlord got on your nerves, you could 'report' that Tutankhamun and his alien friends come to probe everybody in the house each Wednesday and Friday night, without requiring an ounce of proof?

Somehow I doubt that a landlord is forced to advertise every claim that has ever been made about the house, especially in instances with zero evidence.
0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel