98%
15 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Any thoughts, input on this?

25 Replies 273 Views Created 02-06-2012

The kids school had a party thing going on yesterday for the jubilee and were told they could come dressed in red white and blue to represent the union flag.

When I picked the kids up from school I saw the little Polish kid I've mentioned before that knocks on my door all the time to play with kids and he was dressed in his Polish football kit for the party.

I didn't find it offensive on a personal level but I sort of thought it was in bad taste a little, maybe?

It could come across as his parents sticking up the middle finger to the UK and not wanting anything to do with the culture of the country they have moved to. 

If I lived in another country and they were having a national holiday the last thing I would do is dress up as a Pearly King or Queen and wave around the St George Cross, sort of reminds me of the groups of young lads in English Airports waiting to take them off to Tenneriffe for a fortnight all dressed up in England shirts, I've always found that tasteless and ignorant.

There's also the point about some councils a few years ago banning people (if even that was true) from flying the St Georges Cross during the world cup because it could offend some of our ethnic minorities.

Now if UK citizens can't be patriotic and fly flags without getting grief  because of immigrants then it's a sorry state of affairs.

Anyway, back to the Polish kid........if his parents aren't into the royal family (like me, I would never celebrate anything royal) it would have been better if they had just sent him into school wearing regular clothes rather than a Polish footy strip instead of making a statement out of him.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Award Winner
/16

Warren_Jeeves

• Award Winner
98%
15 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Warren_Jeeves
Accepted Solution
Well if I get any Greek Goddess types wearing skimpy blue and white striped bikini's running around my garden hose to cool down next summer I'll be sure to come here and complain all about it, the bloody cheek.
0 Kudos

Re: Any thoughts, input on this?

MVP
/16

englishgolfer

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
englishgolfer
Accepted Solution
i can't see anything wrong in it. let the kid wear his polish football kit - it will make him feel part of the celebrations as he's wearing one of the colours asked for. knowing kids, if he showed up in normal clothes to school he would have been given a lot of stick for being different.
0 Kudos

Community Forum Events | Click for all things Uncharted! | Community Twitch Channel

Down with nested replies, bring back quoting
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

Warren_Jeeves wrote:

PatC_PSN wrote:

Anyway, given the origins of our Royal Family wouldn't a German football strip have been more appropriate? That would have enraged the Brits and the Poles . Win-win :Thumbs:

Not sure about it enraging the Poles, I saw that documentry some time back that Ross Kemp did about the Polish footy thugs and it seemed that their game has many right wing Nazi supporters involved.

That is indeed curious, but I very much doubt that the knuckle-dragging troglodytes in question represent the views of the average Polish person.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

michelle_tabor

• Beta Tester
92%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
michelle_tabor
Accepted Solution
They were told they could wear red, white and blue. The kid perhaps misinterpreted why and just wanted to wear the footie kit as it's those colours.
0 Kudos

/16

dannyjt

88%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dannyjt
Accepted Solution

michelle_tabor wrote:
They were told they could wear red, white and blue. The kid perhaps misinterpreted why and just wanted to wear the footie kit as it's those colours.

Exactly. I remember similar things happening when I was at school and most of the kids just used it as an excuse to wear their favourite football kits.

0 Kudos

TonightWeRide2.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/people_of_the_honey

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel