94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

EU wants cars to phone 999

46 Replies 271 Views Created 09-07-2012

So from 2015 onwards, all new cars will have GPS built in and a system that immediately phones the emergency services so they can attend the site of an accident. It means that in the event of a crash and an occupant is unable to signal for help, an ambulance and police presence is automatically dispatched.

Personally speaking I am happy with the idea but it could do with a big trial period because if two cars bump into each other with a relative speed of 10mph do we really need an ambulance for that?

I would also like to see the police track my car if it was stolen but that raises questions about privacy, not my question as I am happy to be tracked, but I know others have things to hide so they will not be happy with the system even though the EU insist the system is only live when sensors detect an impact, much like airbags.

What do you think folks?

0 Kudos
LABELS:

I am going to be rude and ask you follow me 

@TweetScientific

If I had my own way then you wouldn't have a choice

But you will find out about some ridiculously awesome stuff,

Like QUANTUM TELEVISIONS!!!!

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

Chuk_Chuk wrote:

My point is that without exact figuers and a proper specfication we can't say how this will be built. For all we know it may be suffcient to intergrate it just behind the dashboard and on the other hand this thing may need to be built like a mini tank.

Jesus H Christ! I wasn't trying to define the design specifcation, just making the general point about it surviving a collision in tact.

0 Kudos

Re: EU wants cars to phone 999

Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution
I'd say install it between the driver and passenger seat. Then, if it's destroyed, chances are an ambulance is largely moot...
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

InfiniteStates wrote:
I'd say install it between the driver and passenger seat. Then, if it's destroyed, chances are an ambulance is largely moot...

That does make sense, although I'm not sure I'd want to have to sell that idea to drivers.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

PatC_PSN wrote:

InfiniteStates wrote:

That does make sense, although I'm not sure I'd want to have to sell that idea to drivers.

True - I wouldn't put it at the top of the marketing list of USPs. But in my experience 90% of drivers are too stupid to realise why it is where it is. Put a cup or mobile phone holder on top of it and we're golden...

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Chuk_Chuk

77%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Chuk_Chuk
Accepted Solution

PatC_PSN wrote:

Chuk_Chuk wrote:

My point is that without exact figuers and a proper specfication we can't say how this will be built. For all we know it may be suffcient to intergrate it just behind the dashboard and on the other hand this thing may need to be built like a mini tank.

Jesus H Christ! I wasn't trying to define the design specifcation, just making the general point about it surviving a collision in tact.

All I said is that it is possible for it survive a collision without the need for extra protection.

0 Kudos

You can't save time only spend it.
Sneeze
/16

Chuk_Chuk

77%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Chuk_Chuk
Accepted Solution
I doubt it would make vehicles that much more expensive since GPS is now found in phones for about £100 quid at the system for ringing 999 would be similar to a mobile phone. I guess just activating it when the airbags are deployed would be sufficient.
Personally I would prefer that the GPS is switched off till an accident.

@Shane
It's not just speed that determines whether they are activated and I doubt the settings are industry standard.
0 Kudos

Sneeze
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

ProjectVRD wrote:

Personally speaking I am happy with the idea but it could do with a big trial period because if two cars bump into each other with a relative speed of 10mph do we really need an ambulance for that?

I would think/hope the system would be tied to a button that alerted you it was going to call emergency services in X seconds unless you press to cancel.

xElfenLied_US wrote:

It's not really needed to be honest, everyone has mobile phones, so any passer by's would just ring for help.

And what if you are unconscious in a car that has rolled into a field and is either out of sight of the highway or in a remote location...?

0 Kudos

/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution

InfiniteStates wrote: 

And what if you are unconscious in a car that has rolled into a field and is either out of sight of the highway or in a remote location...?

Yeah just what we need, emergency services rushing to help drunken country people stuck in ditches. You know thats who is going to use this most, dumb drunken country people.

0 Kudos

/16

Chuk_Chuk

77%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Chuk_Chuk
Accepted Solution

fenian wrote:

InfiniteStates wrote: 

Yeah just what we need, emergency services rushing to help drunken country people stuck in ditches. You know thats who is going to use this most, dumb drunken country people.

I doubt that.

0 Kudos

Sneeze
/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution

Chuk_Chuk wrote:

I doubt that.

Bet half the time they turn up will be some country guy who drove into a field to try catch sheep, and they will catch him in the act.

Every bank holiday weekend its the same, drunken country people involved in fatal accidents outside the city.

0 Kudos

/16

seany_boy2k8

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
seany_boy2k8
Accepted Solution

sounds like a typical irish man to me :P

0 Kudos

PSN: seany_boy2k8
Xbox tag: Seany_Blitz
Award Winner
/16

shanethegooner

• Award Winner
93%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shanethegooner
Accepted Solution

fenian wrote:

InfiniteStates wrote: 

Yeah you know what those bloody country people are like.

0 Kudos

/16

ProjectVRD

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution

fenian wrote:

InfiniteStates wrote: 

Not necessarily mate, there is road by me which consists of five staights only seperated by roundabouts. Each straight is about mile long or so and people use it as drag strip, so dumb wreckless (ironic wording) idiots cause crashes as well.

An elderly group were caught up in such an accident and didn't make it through. :(

0 Kudos

I am going to be rude and ask you follow me 

@TweetScientific

If I had my own way then you wouldn't have a choice

But you will find out about some ridiculously awesome stuff,

Like QUANTUM TELEVISIONS!!!!

/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution

ProjectVRD wrote:

Not necessarily mate, there is road by me which consists of five staights only seperated by roundabouts. Each straight is about mile long or so and people use it as drag strip, so dumb wreckless (ironic wording) idiots cause crashes as well.

An elderly group were caught up in such an accident and didn't make it through. :(

But did the police turn up in an orderly time? I bet they did, cause thats how city folk roll, and you and others have already said its only of real benefit in isolated areas.

We all know what goes on in isolated areas, drunk driving, zoophilia, and incest.

Also, what if youre on a horse?

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

shanethegooner

• Award Winner
93%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shanethegooner
Accepted Solution

fenian wrote:

We all know horses carry mobile phones with them.

Silly.

0 Kudos

/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution

shanethegooner wrote:

fenian wrote:

We all know horses carry mobile phones with them.

Silly.

True, but they are notoriously bad at giving directions.

What if youre in a ditch, upside down, bleeding and in pain, you think "oh well the rescue service will be here soon" and you decide not to move cause its better to stay still.

but there is no cell coverage in the area and you die alone waiting for rescue thats not coming, and the whole time yorue wondering "i wonder whats keeping them, cold, so cold".

what then?

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
99%
15 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution
Use your lightsaber to cut open the horse and then you can crawl inside for warmth. And also you can cut bits off it for food.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

fenian wrote:

We all know what goes on in isolated areas, drunk driving, zoophilia, and incest.

Are you extending your own experiences to what-must-be for the entire population again?

Like when you knew a girl once who couldn't go to a club without getting raped, therefore no-one could go clubbing without getting raped anywhere ever...

0 Kudos

/16

seany_boy2k8

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
seany_boy2k8
Accepted Solution

this thread makes me realise how geek you lot really are -_- theres good geek and theres your never getting laid geek you crossed that line a long time ago lol im out for good this time you wont be missed :)

0 Kudos

PSN: seany_boy2k8
Xbox tag: Seany_Blitz
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

seany_boy2k8 wrote:

this thread makes me realise how geek you lot really are -_- theres good geek and theres your never getting laid geek you crossed that line a long time ago lol im out for good this time you wont be missed :)

My Monday certainly just took a nose dive for sure...

0 Kudos

/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution

seany_boy2k8 wrote:

http://www.nerdpassions.com/

http://www.gk2gk.com/

girl geeks are awesome

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel