Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 49

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

20 Jun 2012
By LarasAider

LarasAider

  • Offline
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Falling from Grace

16 Replies 263 Views Created 20-06-2012

No; not the TV program; but social graces

 

when you greet men or women would you say to them "Hello Ladies/Gentlemen" and then introduce yourself, offer to buy a round of drinks and ask to join in on their conversation. Also would you open the door for them or offer to take their luggage. But also; who would you say it too and who would you open the door for?

 

The reason why ask this is because some complete strangers came to my brothers house with some freinds of his and he referred to the strangers as ladies and gentlemen, The strangers were of working class (Can I say Chav?) with a taste for trackies. lol

Reply
0 Kudos
LABELS:
To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
12
/16

dannyjt

  • Offline
88%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dannyjt
Accepted Solution
I wouldn't greet them. Too much social interaction for a guy like me.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

TonightWeRide2.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/people_of_the_honey

06
/16

fenian

  • Offline
95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution
New people you say? id slink out the door and go hide till they left.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

Award Winner
15
/16

Warren_Jeeves

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
98%
15 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Warren_Jeeves
Accepted Solution
Track suit wearing chavs don't work.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

05
/16

LarasAider

  • Offline
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

Warren_Jeeves wrote:
Track suit wearing chavs don't work.

 

I got that from a dictionary A chav is a working class person with vulgar tastes that'll make you puke. :smileyvery-happy: o.k. so I made that last bit up. But would you call a Chav or a rowdy teenager a lady or a gentlemen. I don't think I would, I probably use slang to match their slang so I can impress them. 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance
Award Winner
15
/16

Warren_Jeeves

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
98%
15 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Warren_Jeeves
Accepted Solution
If they tucked thier trackie bottoms into thier socks I would pour petrol over them and then set my mate Zippo onto them.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

10
/16

EdwCarnby

  • Offline
98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution
Funny how working class is a term now commonly used to describe a majority of people that do not work or intend to work.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

___________________________
PS4 Preordered - yipeeee!
Beta Tester
12
/16

michelle_tabor

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
91%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
michelle_tabor
Accepted Solution

EdwCarnby wrote:
Funny how working class is a term now commonly used to describe a majority of people that do not work or intend to work.

it's crazy, I'd say working class would be people on lower payed or minimum wage type jobs, working behind a bar, in a shop etc.

I get called a snob if I call people on benefits by choice lower class not working class if we are discussing that.

(Note the itallics - I am talking about people who set out to not work and live on benefits by cheating the system, NOT people who are on benefits because of unfortunate circumstances (ie losing their job and struggling to find one) or can't work because of disability etc)

 

The manager of technical service insists that he is working class and gets annoyed when I point out that being a departmental manger with a mortgage he can easily afford, about 10 carbon fibre bikes and 2-3 holidays a year doesn't really fit in with the description of "working class"

 

back on topic, I always hold doors open for people, if I was meeting a few friends in a pub I would offer to get a round, give up a seat on the bus/train for old people etc.

 

I don't call people ladies and gentlemen (unless giving a speech or making an announcement), offer to carry the luggage of strangers, though I will help a smaller/weaker person lift stuff into the overhead locker on a plane, or ask permission to join in a conversation.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

10
/16

EdwCarnby

  • Offline
98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution
Amen!
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

___________________________
PS4 Preordered - yipeeee!
08
/16

KrazyFace

  • Offline
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KrazyFace
Accepted Solution

michelle_tabor wrote:

EdwCarnby wrote:
Funny how working class is a term now commonly used to describe a majority of people that do not work or intend to work.

it's crazy, I'd say working class would be people on lower payed or minimum wage type jobs, working behind a bar, in a shop etc.

I get called a snob if I call people on benefits by choice lower class not working class if we are discussing that.

(Note the itallics - I am talking about people who set out to not work and live on benefits by cheating the system, NOT people who are on benefits because of unfortunate circumstances (ie losing their job and struggling to find one) or can't work because of disability etc)

 

The manager of technical service insists that he is working class and gets annoyed when I point out that being a departmental manger with a mortgage he can easily afford, about 10 carbon fibre bikes and 2-3 holidays a year doesn't really fit in with the description of "working class"

 

back on topic, I always hold doors open for people, if I was meeting a few friends in a pub I would offer to get a round, give up a seat on the bus/train for old people etc.

 

I don't call people ladies and gentlemen (unless giving a speech or making an announcement), offer to carry the luggage of strangers, though I will help a smaller/weaker person lift stuff into the overhead locker on a plane, or ask permission to join in a conversation.


 

 This manager person sounds like he's holding onto the ideal of where he came from, maybe. Just a guess, but he should really be able to smell the coffee; 10 (TEN?!) carbon fibre bikes is NOT working class lol! Anyways, people who wear trakies are A) taseless and B) ugly. Sorry people but it's true. And tucking them into socks is just WRONG WRONG WRONG! Yes, they deserve to be set on fire.

 

 I'll open a door for someone if they need me to, and I'll help frail old ladies with luggage if I'm not busy myself but the weak and feeble can just struggle as far as I'm concerned, unless their really really sexy weak and feables lol. Umm, what was the question again?

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

05
/16

Mikal_Drey

  • Offline
96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution

Warren_Jeeves wrote:
If they tucked thier trackie bottoms into thier socks I would pour petrol over them and then set my mate Zippo onto them.

 

 

Meths and One of these

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

[ Edited ]
04
/16

KIERONOO

  • Offline
94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KIERONOO
Accepted Solution
Entice them too get of your doorstep with Tesco value larger
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

Beta Tester
14
/16

WinnieP

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
14 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WinnieP
Accepted Solution

Cant remember the last time i said gentleman to anyone, i tend to use sir to any man that i feel deserves it.

I call ladies lady's occasionally 'girls' if its a group of slightly 'older' ladies ( it might seem a bit patronising (?) but they seem to like it...)

 

I open the door for people, offer to by a round of drinks if some of the people in the group were 'strangers', help moms off the bus/train with their push chairs (well used to until kneeling buses came along).

It's just manners really.

 

I try and treat everyone the same when meeting them for the first time, whether they're wearing a track suit or sharp suit, regardless of culture, 'social status', race, sexual orientation, etc etc

Until they show me reason not to...

 

 

 

And yea, I do see some of the points been raised in this thread about 'Working class' etc

But the whole "Great British Class system" doesn't work in this country anymore...

 

There are people that contribute to this country in different ways and those that don't..Blah blah blah :Sleep:

Sorry getting a bit too political now and boring my self.......:Sleep:

 

Im gona shut up now and go play some games :smileyfrustrated:

 

 

 

 

Edit:

Oh and one more thing as much as old people should be respected, some of them are just plain horrible!

And this ol' "they fought in the war for you"  YEAH THEY DID!! and im gratefull to em, but the majority of old people you see wandering round your highstreet today didnt....

"Flippin jumping on the band wagon, i tell ya" :smileytongue:

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

[ Edited ]
06
/16

fenian

  • Offline
95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution

Working class is anyone who works for a living.

 

Middle class are just well paid working class who are snobby.

 

Upper class dont work.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

05
/16

LarasAider

  • Offline
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

Has anyone been taught Etiquette at school? it involves learning to right italic, using good posture and manners and how to refer to people who are of a higher social standard than yourself. (The last one is bit old fashioned in my book). I think it was only one of a few that actually still taught etiquette till my school closed down that is.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance
Award Winner
15
/16

Warren_Jeeves

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
98%
15 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Warren_Jeeves
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:

Has anyone been taught Etiquette at school? it involves learning to right italic, using good posture and manners and how to refer to people who are of a higher social standard than yourself. (The last one is bit old fashioned in my book). I think it was only one of a few that actually still taught etiquette till my school closed down that is.


By the way you "right" I can tell you didn't attend  that class.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

Award Winner
12
/16

PatC_PSN

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

Warren_Jeeves wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

Has anyone been taught Etiquette at school? it involves learning to right italic, using good posture and manners and how to refer to people who are of a higher social standard than yourself. (The last one is bit old fashioned in my book). I think it was only one of a few that actually still taught etiquette till my school closed down that is.


By the way you "right" I can tell you didn't attend  that class.



I have to assume that some of this stuff is quite deliberate. It must be.

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Falling from Grace

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel