02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Glasgow Uni

73 Replies 636 Views Created 17-01-2008
Hey folks,

Was just wondering if any of you folk are heading to Glasgow Uni in september? I've just secured my place in Computing Science and wondered if anyone else is going to Glasgow, or is currently studying there.

-Allan
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

[THOMSON]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[THOMSON]
Accepted Solution
Interesting act: Oil is not Scotland's biggest export, Whiskey is. And the oil in the North Pole is running dry. They have to drill deeper and deeper to get to it. Scotland could not survive on the oil for any longer. I disagree 100% with independence, but if it happened the country would survive. And would not be "financially ruined". Saying that, a higher percentage of all taxes produced over the whole country went to Scotland a couple of years ago. I couldent comment on that now, but it did. Not a huge percentage different, but there was one. As for an argument that Scottish Education is better than English, sorry mate, its not. English equivalents of our standard grades/highers are tougher than Scottish version. True story We have to pay the government back at the end of the degree... you do realise this don't you? Its not the full amount but is about 2-3k. The fact it is that University education does not really matter where you get it. A degree is a degree. Sorry for the late reply, i need to work to fund my uni life when i go out drinking every week... :p
0 Kudos

Re: Glasgow Uni

/16

[jacksnesaurus]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[jacksnesaurus]
Accepted Solution

The fact it is that University education does not really matter where you get it. A degree is a degree.

not true.

degree from cambridge > degree from wolverhampton
0 Kudos

/16

TheJurg

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheJurg
Accepted Solution
We have to pay the government back at the end of the degree... you do realise this don't you? Its not the full amount but is about 2-3k. Considering that's the equivalent cost of the degree tuition fees if i'd started the course a year earlier, that doesn't make a difference. And considering we have to pay an average of £20,000 for a three-year course, again...meh. Yes, that includes accommodation/bills, but it's all part of the process. And the above estimate refers to cheap accommodation, try imagining that if one lived in the more expensive parts of town.
0 Kudos

/16

[THOMSON]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[THOMSON]
Accepted Solution
Depends what you degree is in. Degrees are over rated anyway. Most good employers will want to know more about your thesis work rather than your actual course content. Maybe some time ago Cambridge was seen as a great university and thats just stuck, but in real life, a degree is a degree. You cant change the status of a first in anything Except a MA... but and arts degree isent really a degree... EDIT: 20,000 for a three year course? What the hell are you doing? I'm £3500 for a three year course. And thats Engineering. But everyone stays for the honors year anyway...
0 Kudos

/16

[haze]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[haze]
Accepted Solution
Depends what you degree is in.

Any good quality degree from UCL, LSE, Imperial and Oxbridge > any good quality degree from anywhere else.

20,000 for a three year course?

3kish per year in tuition costs + living.
0 Kudos

/16

TheJurg

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheJurg
Accepted Solution
Except a MA... but and arts degree isent really a degree...

EDIT: 20,000 for a three year course? What the hell are you doing? I'm £3500 for a three year course. And thats Engineering. But everyone stays for the honors year anyway...

I'd like to see you argue how a Media Studies degree is as valuable as a degree in Law or Physics.

And as haze says, the tuition fees now (since 2006 i believe, which is when i started) are 3k a year (they've just started increasing that cost as well) and accommodation at the lower end is £300+ a month, not including bills in some places.

It all adds up.
0 Kudos

/16

[THOMSON]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[THOMSON]
Accepted Solution
Oh i wasn't including accommodation in my £3500 for three years (about 1200 i think i year i am). We don't get money for accommodation unless we apply for a student loan. Which i didnt. £3000 a year is more than double what the majority of the fees are in abdn and rgu. I'm not sure about the central belt though. I'm not arguing that media studies is better than engineering. I don't think i ever insinuated that it was. What i did say was an arts degree isn't really a degree. As in the are silly'
0 Kudos

/16

TheJurg

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheJurg
Accepted Solution
What i did say was an arts degree isn't really a degree. As in the are silly'

And sadly, i'd have to agree with you in that respect. I'm actually considering changing degree even though i'm coming to the end of my second year :(
0 Kudos

/16

[THOMSON]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[THOMSON]
Accepted Solution
And sadly, i'd have to agree with you in that respect. I'm actually considering changing degree even though i'm coming to the end of my second year :( If i only ever give one piece of advice its this. Even if you 2 years through your degree and dont like it, changing would be the best thing. Dont do as i do and stick it out, you get within 3 months of graduation in utter contempt of the degree and no revision will get done.
0 Kudos

/16

TheJurg

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheJurg
Accepted Solution
If i only ever give one piece of advice its this. Even if you 2 years through your degree and dont like it, changing would be the best thing. Dont do as i do and stick it out, you get within 3 months of graduation in utter contempt of the degree and no revision will get done.

Thanks man. I've been looking at the option of changing the side-course from Culture to Professiona English (which, given i was going to do English anyway seems like the best idea).

Who would i go to, to discuss this possible change?
0 Kudos

/16

[THOMSON]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[THOMSON]
Accepted Solution
Your advisor of studies. And then... umm, i dont actuallyknow...
0 Kudos

/16

TheJurg

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheJurg
Accepted Solution
Your advisor of studies. And then... umm, i dont actuallyknow...

Y'see, my Uni is so incompetently run that i have no idea who anyone is. I'll just go to the Department Office on Monday and have a look around there.
0 Kudos

/16

StueLDUK

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
StueLDUK
Accepted Solution
I have the old debate of modern or traditional uni now Newcastle for English Language or Northumbria for Journalism I'm leaning very heavily towards Newcastle, but I won't rule the other out.
0 Kudos

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
/16

[THOMSON]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[THOMSON]
Accepted Solution
I went to a traditional uni. Its falling apart. Modern is the way forward
0 Kudos

/16

[Nithead]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[Nithead]
Accepted Solution
Come to Northumbria with me splid... /incentive
0 Kudos

/16

StueLDUK

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
StueLDUK
Accepted Solution
But 50p said lots of posh rich girls do English at Newcastle :( ....But then again, Nithead Curses this is making my head hurt.
0 Kudos

/16

[THOMSON]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[THOMSON]
Accepted Solution
Dont go to a uni for the hot people! They will be everywhere regarldess
0 Kudos

/16

[Nithead]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[Nithead]
Accepted Solution
splid, northumbria is about 30 seconds alk away from newcastle uni, you can still meet the fitties... or you could just be satisfied with me...
0 Kudos

/16

StueLDUK

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
StueLDUK
Accepted Solution
But i could be with the fitties all the time then you some other times... Your not the clingy type are you...ARE YOU?
0 Kudos

/16

[Nithead]

80%
01 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
[Nithead]