05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

HMV voucher is back!

[ Edited ]
21 Replies 660 Views edited 26-12-2011

http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/221072 HMV is so going under...

0 Kudos
LABELS:
3969.png
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Pin-Pin-Ire

96%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pin-Pin-Ire
Accepted Solution
Pardon?
0 Kudos

Re: HMV voucher is back!

/16

jessser

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jessser
Accepted Solution

Or if you dont want to click the referral link http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/221072 :P

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

ProjectVRD

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution
Meh... still overpriced HMV.
0 Kudos

I am going to be rude and ask you follow me 

@TweetScientific

If I had my own way then you wouldn't have a choice

But you will find out about some ridiculously awesome stuff,

Like QUANTUM TELEVISIONS!!!!

Award Winner
/16

shanethegooner

• Award Winner
93%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shanethegooner
Accepted Solution

ProjectVRD wrote:
Meh... still overpriced HMV.

Indeed.

I still don't understand why people keep buying from them. :|

0 Kudos

/16

Pin-Pin-Ire

96%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pin-Pin-Ire
Accepted Solution
Tbh they are really the only place to buy DVD's and games in Ireland. Not to mention that they are the cheapest retailer here.
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

shanethegooner

• Award Winner
93%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shanethegooner
Accepted Solution

Pin-Pin-Ire wrote:
Tbh they are really the only place to buy DVD's and games in Ireland. Not to mention that they are the cheapest retailer here.

And that's the reason they can get away with it, because they know there's no where else for people to go, except online.

0 Kudos

/16

K1LLMEBILL

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
K1LLMEBILL
Accepted Solution

But who buys DVDs in shops these days? 

Amazon is usually at LEAST 20% cheaper and it only takes a couple of days to arrive...

Even here in Denmark, they are delivered 3 days after ordering and are most of the time cheaper! 

Oh and HMV will go bust in 2012... Thats for certain! 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Lee I PSN and Xbox Live: K1LLMEBILL I
/16

Pin-Pin-Ire

96%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pin-Pin-Ire
Accepted Solution
Personally I hope HMV survives for a few reasons. They are the cheapest retailer here, I like popping into HMV and finding something I wouldn't normally buy and finally they are the best place(here at least) to do game trade ins.
0 Kudos

/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution

hmv is pretty poor in Ireland, Id rate it as abysmal. Their music selection despite the odd gems is poor compared to the shops they put out of business. Their prices are a joke, their dvd collection is a joke specifically world cinema.

I mean the hmv in Dundrum dosent even stock the full studio ghibili collection, and are missing a lot of films id love to own.

Again, its a lot worse than the companies they put out of business.

Their game selection and pricing is a joke, there used to be some really good game shops in Ireland they have been replaced by shops who just get in the big games and slap a 60 euro price tag on them, so what if hmv is cheaper, Irish people are still ripped off.

HMV in the UK, now its a totall different kettle of fish, id say higher than internet prices but decent and close enough to internet prices in most cases that its not a huge deal, and in the UK they generally stock some really really cool interesting stuff from films to music like limited edition picture records, to dvds and bluray.

I think the main problem is tesco, its made hmv concentrate on money making stuff rather than the cool place to go where you will see films you never even heard of before. I find it hard to even find films in my hmv that I havent seen. Before id go to a film store and buy ones i knew nothing about.

0 Kudos

/16

ProjectVRD

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution

K1LLMEBILL wrote:

Amazon is usually at LEAST 20% cheaper and it only takes a couple of days to arrive...

Even here in Denmark, they are delivered 3 days after ordering and are most of the time cheaper! 

ASDA and Tesco are able to compete with online retailers when new films and music goes on sale, but yeah... anything two months after release and it is always going to be online stores that win out.

HMV would do good by approaching the likes of ASDA and Tesco and asking them if they can move into their superstores, it is done in many places in the America. DVD's and CD's are a loss making department for the big superstore chains but they do bring in more customers who then buy other stuff... so in the US some of those big superstores struck a deal to stop selling their own DVDs/CDs and let the struggling entertainment stores move in and take over that part.

The result was the likes of HMV didn't need to pay any cost for the space they used to sell like a whole building as is the case for HMV, and also didn't have to provide as much staff as they normally would. It meant they could offer vastly cheaper prices and the superstore no longer had to take a burden of selling cheap merchandise at a constant loss, but still saw that kind of product available within their massive building so general buyers kept coming in.

Unfortunately, this is the United Kingdom and R.O.Ireland so companies don't think that way because they are stupid.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@TweetScientific

/16

babaoriley3

96%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
babaoriley3
Accepted Solution
WRC 2. Brand new in GAME for £20. Preowned was £42 in HMV, and they wonder why they are going under.
0 Kudos

/16

eleven1181

72%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
eleven1181
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

https://m.youtube.com/user/MrEleven1181
/16

K1LLMEBILL

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
K1LLMEBILL
Accepted Solution

ProjectVRD wrote:

K1LLMEBILL wrote:

ASDA and Tesco are able to compete with online retailers when new films and music goes on sale, but yeah... anything two months after release and it is always going to be online stores that win out.

HMV would do good by approaching the likes of ASDA and Tesco and asking them if they can move into their superstores, it is done in many places in the America. DVD's and CD's are a loss making department for the big superstore chains but they do bring in more customers who then buy other stuff... so in the US some of those big superstores struck a deal to stop selling their own DVDs/CDs and let the struggling entertainment stores move in and take over that part.

The result was the likes of HMV didn't need to pay any cost for the space they used to sell like a whole building as is the case for HMV, and also didn't have to provide as much staff as they normally would. It meant they could offer vastly cheaper prices and the superstore no longer had to take a burden of selling cheap merchandise at a constant loss, but still saw that kind of product available within their massive building so general buyers kept coming in.

Unfortunately, this is the United Kingdom and R.O.Ireland so companies don't think that way because they are stupid.

Asda and Tesco would never ask a third party to come in and take over their entertainment areas... It would mean less profit for them. They make money on their electronics! No doubt about it! They have the best purchasing agreements in the country, so I would be seriously surprised if they turned a loss on all that... Loss leaders, sure, every retailer will do that, however a general loss on the whole department. No way... Not with the supermarkets in the UK at least... 

You say that Asda and Tesco can usually compete, well I am here in England for a few days to visit my family ( I live abroad as you can probably guess) and I have found that despite them being cheaper than the usual suspects in the high street, they are still a fair amount off Amazon for most of the games I have looked at... 

Book prices are usually very good compared with Amazon, but then again I have an Kindle :) 

-------

The only solution for HMV and waterstones which is HMV owned is to reduce prices... Sure they have higher overheads, but it does not warrant an average of 30-40% higher prices than supermarkets and amazon... 

10-15% sure, and if they are in town people will pay that bit extra, but they won't pay any higher than that.... 

HMV will disappear in Q2 after an terrible christmas season.. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Lee I PSN and Xbox Live: K1LLMEBILL I
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

K1LLMEBILL wrote:

The only solution for HMV and waterstones which is HMV owned is to reduce prices... Sure they have higher overheads, but it does not warrant an average of 30-40% higher prices than supermarkets and amazon... 

I'd say that their only real option is to move to an online-only business. Running a business at a lower margin than competitors isn't an option that shareholders are likely to entertain for very long.

0 Kudos

/16

Dee-C

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dee-C
Accepted Solution

Sorry to bring an old thread back up but does anyone know if HMV will still accept vouchers?

I know they announced they'd be accepting them again but I wasn't sure if it's just for a limited time or if they've stopped accepting them again?

0 Kudos

/16

xElfenLied

90%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xElfenLied
Accepted Solution
You'll have to go in store and find out. Some stores have been kept open. Check your local one and see if it still is.
0 Kudos

/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution

Most of you don't know how it works, or why hmv is in trouble.

HMV used to be very close to the record labels, they paid nothing to stock their shops full of the record labels stuff. In 2000ish they went public and all ties were broken as the record companies sold most of their shares.

Now HMV gets its stock from 3rd party suppliers, who dont have such a big catalogue and they have to pay for it. 

HMV has rekindles its relationship with the Record companies and made new friendships with movie studios, it has been decided that HMV is too valuable to fail totally. HMV will be given access to the huge back catalogue for free and have buying power at cost price, below what tesco or any online retailer has.

This will save HMV, but in the process lots of people will get burned, lots of innocent people that did nothing wrong. None of the current stock on closing hmv stores will be passed on cheaply to customers and in the end it might end up harming people who would come to replace HMV.

So, HMV can compete, they can get access to stock even online finds it hard to, they can get access to it cheaply cheaper than anyone. They can be saved.

Tesco are useless, they sell slightly under retail only on top films and if we have to go online for everything else it will be tragic, all that money going straight out of country.

0 Kudos

/16

Dee-C

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dee-C
Accepted Solution

xElfenLied wrote:
You'll have to go in store and find out. Some stores have been kept open. Check your local one and see if it still is.

My local store is still open (supposedly having a closing down saleso I'll check at the weekend and see if they'll accept my voucher.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

Dee-C wrote:

Sorry to bring an old thread back up but does anyone know if HMV will still accept vouchers?

If you have a £25 voucher you can probably pick up a medium sized branch.

/16

ProjectVRD

94%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution

K1LLMEBILL wrote:

ProjectVRD wrote:

K1LLMEBILL wrote:

Asda and Tesco would never ask a third party to come in and take over their entertainment areas... It would mean less profit for them. They make money on their electronics! No doubt about it! They have the best purchasing agreements in the country, so I would be seriously surprised if they turned a loss on all that... Loss leaders, sure, every retailer will do that, however a general loss on the whole department. No way... Not with the supermarkets in the UK at least... 

You say that Asda and Tesco can usually compete, well I am here in England for a few days to visit my family ( I live abroad as you can probably guess) and I have found that despite them being cheaper than the usual suspects in the high street, they are still a fair amount off Amazon for most of the games I have looked at... 

Book prices are usually very good compared with Amazon, but then again I have an Kindle :) 

-------

10-15% sure, and if they are in town people will pay that bit extra, but they won't pay any higher than that.... 

HMV will disappear in Q2 after an terrible christmas season.. 

Tesco and Asda do not make a profit on the DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs and Video Games after the first couple of weeks. They are loss leading products, that means they underprice them to get buyers into the store and hope they pick up profit making products at the same time.... which works some of the time. Tesco and Asda are known for reducing the prices of Blu-Rays to around £10 or £12 just two weeks after the release date, they pay the supplier MORE than that in that time frame.

That is why Asda offered HMV the opportunity to take over dealing with that stuff. HMV name gets people in their stores, HMV can keep Asda prices because of no rent cost, HMV customers go for a little shop in Asda. It is a tried and tested method now employed in many nations that benefits the customer, the supermarket retailer and the media entertainment retailer.

Reducing prices is NOT an option, they would still go bust with the current overheads. 

0 Kudos

@TweetScientific

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel