ProjectVRD

95%
06 Rank
Progress

Internet Explorer 7 Tax

51 Replies 360 Views Created 14-06-2012
14 Jun 2012
By ProjectVRD

An Australian webstore has started charging customers a 6.8% if they are using Inetrnet Explorer 7.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18440979

0 Kudos
LABELS:

I am going to be rude and ask you follow me 

@TweetScientific

If I had my own way then you wouldn't have a choice

But you will find out about some ridiculously awesome stuff,

Like QUANTUM TELEVISIONS!!!!

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Orla-Ireland

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Orla-Ireland
Accepted Solution

They should Tax people for using the PS3 Web browser as well.

0 Kudos

Re: Internet Explorer 7 Tax

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

Orla-Ireland wrote:

They should Tax people for using the PS3 Web browser as well.

They should certainly shoot the people that created it.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

GoodBytes

• Award Winner
94%
08 Rank
Progress
GoodBytes
Accepted Solution

I'm Australian and work in IT and I think the IE7 tax has both good and bad elements.

Its good in that it will encourage most users to upgrade their browser to a later version.

Its bad for the web merchant because the people who are unable to upgrade their browser will stop shopping at their website. People who spend all day at work shopping online in IE7 (because the IT team isnt able to upgrade to IE8+ due to compatability or vendor support reasons) will suffer the most from this tax and its not fair on them.

If keeping their site compatable with older version of IE is a cost issue then its simple enough to keep the site that does work with it and direct people using said browsers to that site.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
fenian
Accepted Solution

You're not really supposed to be shopping online in work anyway, and if the tech guys at work cant manage a simple browser upgrade then you should complain to the guy who pays them that the software is years out of date and possibly open to security attacks.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Chuk_Chuk

77%
05 Rank
Progress
Chuk_Chuk
Accepted Solution

fenian wrote:

You're not really supposed to be shopping online in work anyway, and if the tech guys at work cant manage a simple browser upgrade then you should complain to the guy who pays them that the software is years out of date and possibly open to security attacks.

Just because you are shopping online doesn't mean it's for personal reasons. Also if it for personal reasons you can shop online during a persons lunch break.

0 Kudos

You can't save time only spend it.
Sneeze

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

It's bad enough paying for delivery charges and the product purchase itself without adding an inconvenience tax with it. I hope that after Microsoft have screwed their brains back in, that they'll soon realise that this is the worst tax idea to be generated in history of computing. I hope no other company like Google or Firefox will follow suit. 

Why Internet Explorer 7 and why not IE8 or IE9 for that matter, the sceme doesn't make sense in my book cos' all them three are rubbish browsers anyway and that's going on my personal experience: They're Slow, complex and jumbled. Google is more faster, as a more detailed search and is more user freindly.

"Microsoft are thieves in disguise" is how I sum the corporation up.

0 Kudos

To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Chuk_Chuk

77%
05 Rank
Progress
Chuk_Chuk
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:

It's bad enough paying for delivery charges and the product purchase itself without adding an inconvenience tax with it. I hope that after Microsoft have screwed their brains back in, that they'll soon realise that this is the worst tax idea to be generated in history of computing. I hope no other company like Google or Firefox will follow suit. 

Why Internet Explorer 7 and why not IE8 or IE9 for that matter, the sceme doesn't make sense in my book cos' all them three are rubbish browsers anyway and that's going on my personal experience: They're Slow, complex and jumbled. Google is more faster, as a more detailed search and is more user freindly.

It's not MS that's taxing them it's a website owner.

0 Kudos

You can't save time only spend it.
Sneeze

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

dannyjt

88%
12 Rank
Progress
dannyjt
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:

It's not Microsoft introducing the tax....

0 Kudos

TonightWeRide2.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/people_of_the_honey

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:

Well done yet again Laras :Lol: Your stupidity knows no bounds it seems.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Pin-Pin-Ire

96%
07 Rank
Progress
Pin-Pin-Ire
Accepted Solution
I can see why they are doing it but I think some people may be stung and will only realise after they have paid.

Personally I prefer Firefox but in the past few years I have noticed it freezing more, so I have reluctantly moved to Chrome. I prefer the layout of Firefox though, as Chrome just feels cheap. :(
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution
Try Firefox 13 Pin if you've not used it for a good while, big improvement from where it was a few months ago.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Pin-Pin-Ire

96%
07 Rank
Progress
Pin-Pin-Ire
Accepted Solution
I'm using 13 at the moment and the freezing still occurs sadly.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution
Tried to a clean install of it and not an upgrade?

I've got it on a few machines and had no issues thus far with it.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

michelle_tabor

• Beta Tester
92%
12 Rank
Progress
michelle_tabor
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mike939

96%
06 Rank
Progress
Mike939
Accepted Solution

michelle_tabor wrote:

in b4 the edit

0 Kudos

*All my spelling and grammar mistakes are on purpose.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

James91 wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

Well done yet again Laras :Lol: Your logic knows no bounds it seems.

Well I didn't know it was down to the website owner; but I think Microsoft would've given the go ahead since it's their product which is up for discussion in the media, they won't just let anyone put tax on their product. Until it is proven that Microsoft had no say in this matter of taxing IE7, i will stand by my original post in the mean time.

James91: Everytime you target my posts with negative remarks i.e. idiot, stupid, dumb**** etc. it will be replaced; by a positve remark. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

GoodBytes

• Award Winner
94%
08 Rank
Progress
GoodBytes
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:

Well I didn't know it was down to the website owner; but I think Microsoft would've given the go ahead since it's their product which is up for discussion in the media, they won't just let anyone put tax on their product. Until it is proven that Microsoft had no say in this matter of taxing IE7, i will stand by my original post in the mean time.

I can confirm that this tax was implemented by the website owner and Microsoft Australia was not involved. The website owner reserves the right to implement such a tax on browsers should they choose to do so. Microsoft do not endorse implementing such tax but they are unable to prevent it from happening.

Internet Explorer 7 will continue to be Supported by Microsoft until 08 April 2014. As this is only one website charging the tax and that its easy enough to get around (by modifying the HTTP headers) Microsoft will not be taking any action at this time.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

GoodBytes wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

I can confirm that this tax was implemented by the website owner and Microsoft Australia was not involved. The website owner reserves the right to implement such a tax on browsers should they choose to do so. Microsoft do not endorse implementing such tax but they are unable to prevent it from happening.

Internet Explorer 7 will continue to be Supported by Microsoft until 08 April 2014. As this is only one website charging the tax and that its easy enough to get around (by modifying the HTTP headers) Microsoft will not be taking any action at this time.

Yeap confirmed: Why don't Kogan advise people correctly to switch to a more modern browser e.g. "In order to view this site; you'll need to update your browser to the latest version of Internet Explorer or choose from our selected browsers" rather than taxing IE7 and mentioning "You must've been in a coma in over 5 yrs and you are still using IE7" which come across as rather un-proffesional and insulting to somebody who's been in a coma.

BBC News

Kogan.com

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:

How on earth do you think they could tax a browser? They're taxing stuff bought on their site by people using IE7, to cover the cost of having to keep supporting it.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

James91

• Award Winner
94%
05 Rank
Progress
James91
Accepted Solution

LarasAider wrote:

James91 wrote:

LarasAider wrote:

Well done yet again Laras :Lol: Your logic knows no bounds it seems.

James91: Everytime you target my posts with negative remarks i.e. idiot, stupid, dumb**** etc. it will be replaced; by a positve remark. 

Good luck with that.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
fenian
Accepted Solution

Microsoft cant do anything about it. You can drop support or charge for support of any browser you want to.

Web developers are supposed to code websites to the standard set out by the world wide web consortium. Browser makers are supposed to make their browsers meet the standard.

Its mainly internet explorers fault, their early browsers totally disregarded the standards, and in a lot of cases used unique to internet explorer code. Web developers got used to hacking sites to work, you actually had to hack your own code to make it look the same on both.

internet explorer is getting better, but still most browsers miss out on one standard or another. 

If you ask me, the website is complying with the spirit of internet standards by dropping support, all sites including facebook, this one, google, are supposed to drop support and are supposed to code to the current standards which surpass the capabilities of browsers, why? because browser makers know that they have web developers hostage.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel