06 Rank
Progress

Let the arguments.... BEGIN!

42 Replies 548 Views Created 16-01-2013
16 Jan 2013
By ProjectVRD

0 Kudos
LABELS:
You'll be surprised what you come across on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=LLQj5RfmzQZHkYiIaW8h-a6g
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Chuk_Chuk

77%
05 Rank
Progress
Chuk_Chuk
Accepted Solution
Well there are people who feel that it's reasonable price to pay, hence why apple continue selling this stuff. I'm not one of them though.
0 Kudos

Re: Let the arguments.... BEGIN!

You can't save time only spend it.
Sneeze

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

foxhill

• Award Winner
95%
07 Rank
Progress
foxhill
Accepted Solution

I agree.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

chrisa3211

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
chrisa3211
Accepted Solution

Chuk_Chuk wrote:
Well there are people who feel that it's reasonable price to pay, hence why apple continue selling this stuff. I'm not one of them though.

This. I can't say I understand why you'd may >$3000 for that machine, but y'know, capitalism.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

These anti-Mac threads are always funny

Let's agree that the fastest machines are the best. In the same way that the thickest books are the best to read, the loudest music is the best to listen to, the strongest scent is the most alluring, and the largest Tesco horseburgers represent the best value for money.

Quality, quantity, it's all pretty much the same thing at the end of the day.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Elite-Hawk

99%
07 Rank
Progress
Elite-Hawk
Accepted Solution

The Mac Pro's target audience aren't the basic level consumers who want to browse facebook and use word.  People who are likely to buy Pros are company studios, such as media companies, who can afford to spend that amount of cash.  

£3,000 on a dream build though.. one day i'll make that happen.  (120Hz Tri monitors would take you to almost a grand already)

EDIT: So my dream build is over £3k and costs £4,000 :(

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/xUfL

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Pretty sure I could run the same argument train for Porsche, but I'd rather have one made in a Porsche garage than by me at home.

I'm not defending Apple - everyone knows they are overpriced and you largely pay for the brand name, but they wouldn't be the first company to pull this off (cars, fashion and food being other examples).

The advantage Apple does have is that stuff generally works when going from Apple to Apple. And for people who don't like messing around in settings and updating drivers etc they have an ease-of-use appeal.

But yeah - they're expensive for what they are.

Oh, P.S: their customer support is excellent.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

InfiniteStates wrote:

Pretty sure I could run the same argument train for Porsche, but I'd rather have one made in a Porsche garage than by me at home.

I'm not defending Apple - everyone knows they are overpriced and you largely pay for the brand name, but they wouldn't be the first company to pull this off (cars, fashion and food being other examples).

The advantage Apple does have is that stuff generally works when going from Apple to Apple. And for people who don't like messing around in settings and updating drivers etc they have an ease-of-use appeal.

But yeah - they're expensive for what they are.

Oh, P.S: their customer support is excellent.

Apples customer support is pathetic.

To give you a perfect example one of my friends iphone 4 broke & was told he had to make an appointment to get it replaced.

So he made an appointment & took a day off work but when he went to the appointment they told him they couldn't exchange his phone because they had none in stock as they had just sold the last one as he walked in for his appointment.

And the response he got from the person dealing with him was 1st come 1st served.

Now on that if you have booked an appointment then that put you as 1st priority over some random walking in off the street.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

lfcrule1972

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
lfcrule1972
Accepted Solution
That's not my experience of Apple customer service, sounds poor but not typical to me. I don't own a Mac but if I had the money for one I would buy one.....

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Strangesam

98%
08 Rank
Progress
Strangesam
Accepted Solution

Lets stir things up...

You pay for the Operating System.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

lfcrule1972

• Beta Tester
97%
06 Rank
Progress
lfcrule1972
Accepted Solution
I thought we paid for the cutesy lickle apple sticker ?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xElfenLied

90%
08 Rank
Progress
xElfenLied
Accepted Solution
I don't like Mac's, simply because of the OS design, and it doesn't run half the programs I need, like Microsoft Office for a start.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

dannyjt

88%
12 Rank
Progress
dannyjt
Accepted Solution

xElfenLied wrote:
I don't like Mac's, simply because of the OS design, and it doesn't run half the programs I need, like Microsoft Office for a start.

TonightWeRide2.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/people_of_the_honey

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

xElfenLied wrote:
and it doesn't run half the programs I need, like Microsoft Office for a start.

It does here.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

shanethegooner

• Award Winner
96%
09 Rank
Progress
shanethegooner
Accepted Solution

xElfenLied wrote:

OPC Football Bingo Results

[2013/2014] [2014/2015]

[2015/2016] [2016/2017]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ProjectVRD

96%
06 Rank
Progress
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution

There is nothing in the MAC Pro hardware line up to warrant the prices Apple charge, my PC can obliterate anything the MAC Pro can do in the media business world, and by the time my PC (and several others on this forum) has finished the work the most expensive configuration of MAC Pro offered by Apple would barely be half way through the work load... if that.

Those two Xeon processors are not going to do anything to bring those MACs in line with a good PC rig with a current gen graphics card with Cuda or ATI Stream. The 5780's they are offering are nowhere near powerful enough.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
You'll be surprised what you come across on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=LLQj5RfmzQZHkYiIaW8h-a6g

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gawge

83%
12 Rank
Progress
Gawge
Accepted Solution
Numbers aren't everything, there are more nuanced and subtle experiences to be enjoyed which are not easily quantified. If people prefer certain things over others, who cares? Surely we agree that there are no truths in matters of taste?

That being said, i'm sure that Apple's marketing and strong brand ensures that it sells more products than perhaps it would if there was perfect market information amongst consumers. Though, at the same time, if people prefer one thing over another, let them get on with it.

Is it not enough to be satisfied in your own choice, rather than attempting to convince others, almost as if you aren't fully secure in your own preferences.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

Gawge wrote:
Numbers aren't everything, there are more nuanced and subtle experiences to be enjoyed which are not easily quantified. If people prefer certain things over others, who cares? Surely we agree that there are no truths in matters of taste?

That being said, i'm sure that Apple's marketing and strong brand ensures that it sells more products than perhaps it would if there was perfect market information amongst consumers. Though, at the same time, if people prefer one thing over another, let them get on with it.

Is it not enough to be satisfied in your own choice, rather than attempting to convince others, almost as if you aren't fully secure in your own preferences.

Exactly. I don't hear people slating Lamborghini owners on the basis that the Volkswagen Polo is quite clearly better value for money, or because the Veyron has a more powerful fuel injected willy engine.

I would readily acknowledge that my attachment to Apple products is both rational and emotional. And I really wouldn't want it to be any other way.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

GoodBytes

• Award Winner
94%
08 Rank
Progress
GoodBytes
Accepted Solution

I love my Mac! It runs Windows 8 perfectly :p

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

rancidpunk

• Award Winner
88%
14 Rank
Progress
rancidpunk
Accepted Solution

Gawge wrote:

That being said, i'm sure that Apple's marketing and strong brand ensures that it sells more products than perhaps it would if there was perfect market information amongst consumers.

Now I'm not an Apple fan, in fact I have no allegiance to any manufacturer (although I do tend to check Miele and Panasonic first when selecting their respective electricals), but Apple's marketing (by luck or genius) has set them apart from their competitors in almost every market they compete. 

Whether the products are actually better or not can be argued by others, but it's resulted in a brand that is seen to add value, quite a lot of value. Any manufacturer in this enviable position will always be able to charge a premium for the brand alone.

I'm not sure why people criticise it so much as it's just sound business sense. I never see brands like Miele (although I don't frequent many forums discussing white goods) or Loewe getting the same treatment, but they charge a considerably higher premium for similar specced products than Apple ever could.

0 Kudos

My flickr
Down with nested replies, bring back quoting

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

michelle_tabor

• Beta Tester