60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

New laptop decision..... MAC or PC

52 Replies 278 Views Created 23-12-2009

Hi guys. Now I'm sure that most of you have seen these sort of posts before, but I need help to make the decision. Basically I'm in the market for a new laptop. I have found a couple of laptops that run on Windows 7. However I have never owned a MAC before and am more and more tempted to buy one. However, I don't want to spend a lot of money on a MAC and it turns out to be pants! Could anyone please advise? Thanks.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

jai163

76%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jai163
Accepted Solution

You'll definitely feel a little strange at first if you switch to a Mac. It's a very different experience, but ultimately can be a lot more rewarding than a PC. A lot of people will tell you that Macs have limited hardware capabilities, or aren't compatible with most things like printers and stuff and have limited software, but that’s not true. Macs are compatible with everything now and software for Macs easily rival anything that’s available on the PC.

If you're looking to play games, however, you're better off getting a PC as games on a Mac are limited.

Also, all Macs come with Mac OS X. No matter what anyone says, Macs operating system is much easier and much more productive to use. Software on Macs are made to not only be powerful but also beautiful to look at, plus you can always obtain a copy of windows 7 and put it on to your Mac so you have best of both worlds.

Macs are expensive though. You might find, hardware wise, you'd get more bang for your buck if you bought a PC. But if you're looking for a stable computer with a great OS, and some of the best software on the market at your fingertips and you're getting tired of Windows then I'd recommend a Mac.

Get a Mac

0 Kudos

Re: New laptop decision..... MAC or PC

[ Edited ]
/16

centrinoduo91

79%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
centrinoduo91
Accepted Solution

jai163 wrote:

You'll definitely feel a little strange at first if you switch to a Mac. It's a very different experience, but ultimately can be a lot more rewarding than a PC. A lot of people will tell you that Macs have limited hardware capabilities, or aren't compatible with most things like printers and stuff and have limited software, but that’s not true. Macs are compatible with everything now and software for Macs easily rival anything that’s available on the PC.

If you're looking to play games, however, you're better off getting a PC as games on a Mac are limited.

Also, all Macs come with Mac OS X. No matter what anyone says, Macs operating system is much easier and much more productive to use. Software on Macs are made to not only be powerful but also beautiful to look at, plus you can always obtain a copy of windows 7 and put it on to your Mac so you have best of both worlds.

Macs are expensive though. You might find, hardware wise, you'd get more bang for your buck if you bought a PC. But if you're looking for a stable computer with a great OS, and some of the best software on the market at your fingertips and you're getting tired of Windows then I'd recommend a Mac.

Get a Mac

The fuhrer couldn't have put it better himself
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

DeathroW22

• Beta Tester
91%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DeathroW22
Accepted Solution

As its a laptop, i'd say go give one a try in an Apple shop, if you like it, then go for it. Of course, if it was a desktop, i'd say go build your own PC.

0 Kudos

/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fenian
Accepted Solution

jai163 wrote:

. Macs are compatible with everything now

Thats a lie, Unless youre willing to pay for windows and put windows onto the mac they are not compatible with everything.

HTC a huge phone maker, do not have official sync software for macs for their phones yet for example.

0 Kudos

/16

jai163

76%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jai163
Accepted Solution

Just because HTC don't make official software to sync their phones with Macs doesn’t mean HTC phones aren't compatible with Macs. the great thing about Mac developers is that they are passionate about Mac software. They make alternatives that are just as powerful (in some cases more powerful) than anything that can be made by the manufacturer.

Google it and you'll find plenty of Mac software to Sync a HTC phone that has either Android or Windows mobile OS. Not just just Android, Palm OS , Symbian, Blackberry, all have Official syncing software or powerful alternatives. Some cost money, some don't. but they are there and they are compatible.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

owenp185

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
owenp185
Accepted Solution

Personally I would go for a PC, I used to have to use Mac's in college and couldn't stand them. I now have a new laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545) with Windows 7 and its great. So yh im sure you can find a good number of higher spec laptops for the same price as a Mac. :)

0 Kudos

- - - - - - - - - - - -
www.owenprescott.com
/16

ChrisDavo

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ChrisDavo
Accepted Solution
Get the mac. It's quicker to do stuff in macs compared to windows i have found, used windows since 95, switched to mac last year and wont be going back.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

zooloomuzik

• Beta Tester
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
zooloomuzik
Accepted Solution

Get the MAC ... they are vastly better built machines than pretty much any PC lappy.

Aside from that, OSX is head and shoulders better than Windows, it's simpler to use and safer too, granted that in the end most things are achievable with either, so it just comes down to choice and how much money you are willing to spend.... and in the unlikley event that you don't get on with OSX, you can load Windows on the MAC (via bootcamp or VMWare/Parallels) ... and you can't load OSX on a PC lappy.

Get the Mac and don't look back ;)

0 Kudos

/16

Chas19

86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Chas19
Accepted Solution

zooloomuzik wrote:

Get the MAC ... they are vastly better built machines than pretty much any PC lappy.

Aside from that, OSX is head and shoulders better than Windows, it's simpler to use and safer too, granted that in the end most things are achievable with either, so it just comes down to choice and how much money you are willing to spend.... and in the unlikley event that you don't get on with OSX, you can load Windows on the MAC (via bootcamp or VMWare/Parallels) ... and you can't load OSX on a PC lappy.

Get the Mac and don't look back ;)

Couldnt of said it better myself. Get a mac...But obviously try it out in the apple shop first..

0 Kudos

PSN / Steam - Chas19, My Flickr
/16

K1LLMEBILL

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
K1LLMEBILL
Accepted Solution

Even though I love Windows 7, I shall be switching to a Mac as soon as my bank balance allows...

They are just more me, they are fast, virus free, easy to use etc.

So i would say buy a Mac... You won't regret it, the only thing you will regret is not deciding to do it before! :)

0 Kudos

Lee I PSN and Xbox Live: K1LLMEBILL I
/16

Non-Adhesive

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Non-Adhesive
Accepted Solution

If i was in your position i'd get a Mac.

My flatmate had the old mac book pro. It has phenomenal battery life! Also he installed windows on a partition on it so he could still use windows only programs & games etc though it did use up the battery quicker when using it with Windows Vista

When buying computers from now on i'd buy a PC for a desktop (as hardware can be upgraded to keep upto date) or a Mac laptop (excellent battery life, can install windows on it if needed and both PC & MAC laptops don't get upgraded so MAC lack of hardware upgrade-ability isn't an issue).

Also don't forget if your a student you can get discount from the local/online Apple store. (I forgot when buying my ipod classic & headphones D'oH!)

If you've not used a mac before find the local apple shop & have a play around on them.

Or if you know anyone with an apple as them if you can have a go.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

steve797

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steve797
Accepted Solution

Isn't it annoying though swapping between OS? I wouldn't really use my laptop for games I'd use my desktop for any major games. Although in saying that I have my PS3 for any real gaming so I'm not too bothered about it. What was the primary reason as to why people did buy a MAC?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

zooloomuzik

• Beta Tester
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
zooloomuzik
Accepted Solution

steve797 wrote:

Isn't it annoying though swapping between OS?

only if you use the bootcamp option which requires a complete restart of the computer... if you use VMWare or parallels, it's seamless and you can run windows and mac apps at the same time.... this is clearly the best solution.

people buy macs for many reasons...

simply to get away from windows and it's problems

for a safer computing experience

to take advantage of all the wonderful media software Apple delivers with all new macs

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Non-Adhesive

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Non-Adhesive
Accepted Solution

steve797 wrote:

Isn't it annoying though swapping between OS? I

Nope all he had to do its press the command button as it starts up. Then you'll get 2 large harddrive icons and pick the partition you want. If you don't press the command button it boots up as it normally would in mac.

steve797 wrote:

What was the primary reason as to why people did buy a MAC?

The main reason my next laptop will be a mac is the battery life.

They also have a graphics card as standard these-days which is what the old mac books were missing.

There's alot less virus as most of the population use Windows viruses tend to be designed to attack systems running windows.

0 Kudos

/16

AZanshin

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AZanshin
Accepted Solution

You don't wanna feel left out when everyone is doing this 

On a more serious note since change to mac everything feels faster and more streamline from basic tasks to audio editing

0 Kudos

You don't wanna feel left out when everyone is doing this...

Feel Free To Add But Don't Be A Stranger
Member of The PS Forum MSN Group ! :D
/16

steve797

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steve797
Accepted Solution

MACs do sound really good. The only other thing that is annoying about MACs is that they are way more expensive but the hardware is the same as say a £500 laptop. The MAC book pro cost about £800.

0 Kudos

Re: You don't wanna feel left out when everyone is doing this...

Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

steve797 wrote:

MACs do sound really good. The only other thing that is annoying about MACs is that they are way more expensive but the hardware is the same as say a £500 laptop. The MAC book pro cost about £800.

Yes, they are more expensive, but having used Macs for years I'd never go back to Windows again.

0 Kudos

/16

dnlgee

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dnlgee
Accepted Solution
Make a hackintosh? :D
0 Kudos

/16

renegadefunk6

87%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
renegadefunk6
Accepted Solution
Have a go on one and see what you think. Personally I prefer a PC, I spent two years working with Macs and whilst I could see why people like them, I couldn't justitfy the price at all.
0 Kudos

/16

steve797

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steve797
Accepted Solution

I've always had that thought myself. What makes a mac more expensive opposed to a PC? Although I'm warming more and more to the mac book. mac book or mac book pro?

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel