03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

PC Gaming thread.

7,860 Replies 19,132 Views Created 28-10-2009

Welcome to the PC Gaming Thread!

Now I know there is a PS3 discussion thread and an Xbox 360 discussion thread.

So thought it was about time us PC gamers had an area to talk about...

• Upcoming Games
  • Latest Releases
  • Modding
  • Favourite Games
  • Gaming set up
  • How you feel as a PC gamer.

If you ever need advice on any of the above then this should be your first stop for all your PC gaming needs.

So go ahead and get chatting!

LABELS:
What is the point in having a signature?
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Elite-Hawk

99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Elite-Hawk
Accepted Solution

Got a problem and wondering if anyone would help. I get crazy screen tearing when I have V-sync off, when I enabled V-sync the screen tearing is totally eliminated but there is very slight input lag when moving the mouse and would like to get rid of that. My monitor is 60Hz.  Adaptive V-Sync still gives me tearing.

In theory, if I lower my FPS to less than 60Hz then I shouldn't get tearing but when I used a Frame Rate Limiter to 55 FPS I still get tearing. Not sure what I should do.

0 Kudos

Re: PC Gaming thread.

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

Danlisa

• Beta Tester
89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Danlisa
Accepted Solution

Elite-Hawk wrote:

Got a problem and wondering if anyone would help. I get crazy screen tearing when I have V-sync off, when I enabled V-sync the screen tearing is totally eliminated but there is very slight input lag when moving the mouse and would like to get rid of that. My monitor is 60Hz.  Adaptive V-Sync still gives me tearing.

In theory, if I lower my FPS to less than 60Hz then I shouldn't get tearing but when I used a Frame Rate Limiter to 55 FPS I still get tearing. Not sure what I should do.

nVidia 6xx series by any chance? Is the lag about every few seconds?  If you have a OSD FPS display enabled, with vsync active, the rate should dip from 60.1 to 58 now and again. It's a known issue that still remains unfixed.  The currently available beta drivers were supposed to correct it but most users report that it doesn't.

0 Kudos

/16

Elite-Hawk

99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Elite-Hawk
Accepted Solution

Danlisa wrote:

Elite-Hawk wrote:

nVidia 6xx series by any chance? Is the lag about every few seconds?  If you have a OSD FPS display enabled, with vsync active, the rate should dip from 60.1 to 58 now and again. It's a known issue that still remains unfixed.  The currently available beta drivers were supposed to correct it but most users report that it doesn't.

Yeah its a 6xx series card, I thought that issue related to micro-stutter more so input lag?  I think my issue is more to do with:

V-sync = Input lag but not screen tearing

No V-Sync = No input lag but screen tearing

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Danlisa

• Beta Tester
89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Danlisa
Accepted Solution

dannyjt wrote:

I was on DayZ for a matter of seconds before a zombie chased me and hit me.

I quickly dived into the sea and swam to the opposite shore, bandaged myself up, ran down a road and now finally cowering on a roof somewhere :smileylol:

I've never had a game make me panic so much, as I was running away I was just shouting "No, I don't wanna die, I don't wanna die!" :D

Now I need a gun...

I know that feeling.

My first ever spawn was at night. I could hear very strange noises all around me, and then there's the flies. :xCry:

My biggest issue with DayZ is how to approach built up areas to obtain medical/weapon supplies.  In my first 2 hours I scavenged food, flares and a pistol (no ammo) from an old airbase but the moment I go anywhere near urban areas, there's too many Zeds to even think about entering without having a usable weapon.

Those 2 hours did see me legging it about like a right spaz, sometimes with as many as 6 Zeds in tow.  They can't do hills well and if you can run into a building that has 2 exits, it's quite easy to enter and exit, then run around to the rear of the building and completely loose the Zed. :Lol:

Enjoying it, apart from the tricky business of finding stuff and knowing where you are.

0 Kudos

/16

ProjectVRD

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution
So Day-Z is basically a survival game and guns have no use but for defence?
0 Kudos

I am going to be rude and ask you follow me 

@TweetScientific

If I had my own way then you wouldn't have a choice

But you will find out about some ridiculously awesome stuff,

Like QUANTUM TELEVISIONS!!!!

Beta Tester
/16

Danlisa

• Beta Tester
89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Danlisa
Accepted Solution

ProjectVRD wrote:

Nope, Guns work as normal. You can go on the offense, but sound attracts more Zeds, so it's best to be quiet.

You can even shoot other players and steal thier stuff.  Infact, the endgame is really only base raiding between players/teams.

0 Kudos

/16

ProjectVRD

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution

Danlisa wrote:

ProjectVRD wrote:

Nope, Guns work as normal. You can go on the offense, but sound attracts more Zeds, so it's best to be quiet.

You can even shoot other players and steal thier stuff.  Infact, the endgame is really only base raiding between players/teams.

:(

I was hoping it would be a survival game from all the stuff you guys were saying.

0 Kudos

I am going to be rude and ask you follow me 

@TweetScientific

If I had my own way then you wouldn't have a choice

But you will find out about some ridiculously awesome stuff,

Like QUANTUM TELEVISIONS!!!!

Beta Tester
/16

Danlisa

• Beta Tester
89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Danlisa
Accepted Solution

Well, it is. To get to the point where you have scavenged enough gear to create a base etc you have to play for many many hours. As a single player, you will spend most of the time, running away from Zeds/Bandits (and other players), when you're not running you are looking for food/water and other consumables to keep your thirst and hunger in check. It is a survival game.

Even with all the player at the moment, the average life expectancy is around 45 mins. ;)  You have to work hard to survive.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

/16

Elite-Hawk

99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Elite-Hawk
Accepted Solution

Danlisa wrote:

Well, it is. To get to the point where you have scavenged enough gear to create a base etc you have to play for many many hours. As a single player, you will spend most of the time, running away from Zeds/Bandits (and other players), when you're not running you are looking for food/water and other consumables to keep your thirst and hunger in check. It is a survival game.

Even with all the player at the moment, the average life expectancy is around 45 mins. ;)  You have to work hard to survive.

I think that timers broken.  I find it hard to believe the average player can only last 45 minutes.  People who constantly respawn on the coast to get the spawn point they want are skewing the stats IMO.

You can do what you want in the game.  If you wanna act like a bandit and PvP then you can.  If you wanna team up with survivors and try to get a base and good gear then you can.

0 Kudos

/16

Pin-Pin-Ire

96%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pin-Pin-Ire
Accepted Solution
It sounds a bit like minecraft crossed with Left 4 Dead.
0 Kudos

Community Coordinator

LordRoss

• Community Coordinator
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LordRoss
Accepted Solution

I think I found one of these "bases".

It had barbed wire around the perimeter and lots of guns and all sorts beside a fire.

There was no one there though, they musta been out hunting or whatever, naturally I took the lot and legged it lol.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

ArsenalMark

• Award Winner
95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ArsenalMark
Accepted Solution

LordRoss wrote:

Oh you are a diamond!

Have a cookie on me :)

Bookmark this too, great wiki: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

Page for KOTOR: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic

0 Kudos

/16

PinkPrincess81

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PinkPrincess81
Accepted Solution

Hey hey,

Nice thread.

Anyone play Diablo? :)) I am monk para 18 at moment if anyone fancies a run?

Carly x

0 Kudos

Twitter: xMissCarlyNx Steam: PinkPrincess81
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution

PinkPrincess81 wrote:

Hey hey,

Nice thread.

Anyone play Diablo? :)) I am monk para 18 at moment if anyone fancies a run?

Carly x

Occasionally. Perhaps once a week I'll jump on and do an Act III clear, in the hope of getting something remotely useful. Fact is, with PvP being pushed back even further, I don't really find myself caring much about it any more. Torchlight II is just a more enjoyable game :)

0 Kudos

/16

PinkPrincess81

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PinkPrincess81
Accepted Solution

Hey,

Handy I can't remember my battle.net account but give me yours and I'll add you so we can have a run through next time you're on. Word on the grapevine is that PVP is now not going to be released in the format originally planned as it wasn't good enough, but a dualling system is going to be introduced. What are your thoughts? Personally i'm not sure, sounds pretty rubbish.

I am also into Witcher 2 but only just started, enjoying it so far though the first was amazing so looking forward to getting stuck in x

0 Kudos

/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
I agree with that tbh (news can be found here: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6816948/Diablo_III_PvP_Update_-27_12_2012 ) Pretty bad considering it was supposed to be a launch feature. Dueling might be fun for about 5 minutes, but everyone I used to play Diablo with no longer plays (for good reason). Diablo 3 just came across as lazy in too many ways... The lack of character customization really did irritate me.

Anyway, my BattleTag is Semaphia#2375 and this is my ugly Wizard http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Semaphia-2375/

I've finished it now :) It has it's issues (minor, but they're there), but it's still one of my favourite RPG games since the 90s.
0 Kudos

/16

PinkPrincess81

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PinkPrincess81
Accepted Solution

Lack of customisation is my absolute biggest bugbear with Diablo too, as well as the PVP issue. A girl with 'Pink' in the name needs pink hair at least LMFAO. Overall though I must admit I do love the game, and enjoy playing, but yeah naughty blizzard have been so lazy. My fave bit is the beam of light on finding a legendary item and then the disappointment when it turns out to be absolute garbage xD xD

I'll check out your character tonight for some reason my work PC is blocking the webpage grrrr.

Carly x

0 Kudos

/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
I went months without finding a legendary, then after a patch I found two in 24 hours :p They were both absolute junk lol.

I've given up... I've spent ages searching for a game which I could dedicate time to since leaving WoW behind. I was primarily interested in a top tier competitive game (Dota2, CS, & SC2), but I don't know anyone who plays the team games, and SC2 isn't fair with it's matchmaking system (plus space setting is meh).

Decided to reinstall WoW for the first time in almost half a year, and try the 10 day free trial... I hope it's truly awful :p If not, oh dear.
0 Kudos

/16

PinkPrincess81

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PinkPrincess81
Accepted Solution

Hahaha love it, I did exactly the same but not been on WOW for a year maybe? I might end up on the free trial too to be fair, Pandaria any good? I was a rogue and a crappy one at that, I found the whole build system really confusing actually. The weird lower/upper caps I don't think I ever understood it properly (as it doesn't tell you in game) and that made me pretty damn crap if i'm honest, and therefore I got bored of L85 very quickly.

Maybe I could start again with a panda or sort out my rogue.

0 Kudos

/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
I'd tell you, but there's 8.01GB still to download :p I don't think I'll enjoy it much, but it's gotta be worth a try. I don't think any MMO came close to TBC at its peak, but since 2009 the game has just slipped downhill a bit... I "retired" with every class at 85, 14.5k+ achievement points, & half a mil gold (which I sold... Shhh! :D) Will be nice to play with my old guild again :) Have most of them on Skype, but that green guild chat is just somewhat relaxing...

Hawk has talked me into trying SC2 properly :) I'll get around to that after MoP.
0 Kudos

/16

PinkPrincess81

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PinkPrincess81
Accepted Solution

Sorry what is TBC? Let me know what you think of WOW when you enter the realm again, if you think it is worth it I might come give it another shot hehe. Good luck with that download, takes ages or mine did first time, got a better lappy now so shouldn't be an issue anymore. Hehehe have fun with the pandas :p

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel