09 Rank
Progress

TFL Strike during Olympics.

[ Edited ]
14 Replies 253 Views edited 22-06-2012
21 Jun 2012
By shanethegooner

What is this madness?

TFL workers are striking because they want bonus pay during the Olympics? What the hell is that?

They're still going to be doing the same route, they'll probably do more hours but they'll be paid normally for that and they'll definitely have more passengers but why should they get bonus pay for doing the job they're suppose to do?

Because they have more passengers? In that case, should TFL take money from their staff if they have an empty bus with no passengers? Bet the workers wouldn't approve of that! pfff

Thankfully I don't use TFL any more. It's going to be a tough time trying to get around during the Olympics. Another reason for us to look silly and the world to laugh at us because people can't get to the games. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18530784

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18544552

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
fenian
Accepted Solution

Its profiteering, I wouldn't mind if they were sacked. Its not as if bus routes make huge massive money, and the companies rely on events like this to bring in more money to do things like upgrade the buses.

I think I would like being a bus or train driver, maybe train driver more cause I wouldnt have to interact with people, but as a bus driver i could slow down coming up to bus stops when I see people running, then drive off with my troll face on.

Actually that would be my dream job, driving a bus that drives past bus stops full of people waiting when the bus is empty and slows down to troll people running.

0 Kudos

Re: TFL Strike during Olympics.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

dannyjt

88%
12 Rank
Progress
dannyjt
Accepted Solution

fenian wrote:

Actually that would be my dream job, driving a bus that drives past bus stops full of people waiting when the bus is empty and slows down to troll people running.

We had a bus driver at college that did exactly that to some students on the way there. We were running a bit late and he couldn't be arsed stopping.

We laughed, but kinda felt bad for them, as it would've certainly made them late.

0 Kudos

TonightWeRide2.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/people_of_the_honey

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xElfenLied_US

85%
06 Rank
Progress
xElfenLied_US
Accepted Solution
When is the Olympics anyway?
0 Kudos

Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
fenian
Accepted Solution

dannyjt wrote:

fenian wrote:

We had a bus driver at college that did exactly that to some students on the way there. We were running a bit late and he couldn't be arsed stopping.

We laughed, but kinda felt bad for them, as it would've certainly made them late.

Happened me loads of times, I even made eye contact with a bus driver in the side mirror as he was driving away as I ran.. I raged out, he must have enjoyed it though.

Loads of half empty buses used to drive past too, full ones would drive past unless they had to let someone off.

Because i live on the edge of the city, all the buses heading into the city are usually full by the time they get to me, luckily about 10 different bus routes pass through the area.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

shanethegooner

• Award Winner
95%
09 Rank
Progress
shanethegooner
Accepted Solution

fenian wrote:

dannyjt wrote:

fenian wrote:

Happened me loads of times, I even made eye contact with a bus driver in the side mirror as he was driving away as I ran.. I raged out, he must have enjoyed it though.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

They should fire every single one of the strikers and replace them with people on non-union employment contracts.

There are plenty of people around who could be trained to drive a bus or tube train, and are willing to work.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mid3get

94%
04 Rank
Progress
mid3get
Accepted Solution

We have an ordnance map up showing all the venues and surrounding areas, where all the bases are etc and part of the map is detailing expected impact areas and is coloured for severity.  Obviously there is a fair proportion noted as being severely restricted for travel purposes.

So basically the bus drivers want extra pay just to sit in traffic all day?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

mid3get wrote:

So basically the bus drivers want extra pay just to sit in traffic all day?

No, they are striking for more money because they believe there is a good chance they will be given it to avoid the global embarrassment of a strike.

Or 'blackmail' as it used to be known.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mid3get

94%
04 Rank
Progress
mid3get
Accepted Solution

I think everyone knows the reasoning behind it, The unions may play the sympathy card but we all know they are just profiteering.

I was just putting my two pence in to say that for whatever extra money they may or may not get all they are going to be doing for it is just sit in traffic.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

mid3get wrote:

I was just putting my two pence in to say that for whatever extra money they may or may not get all they are going to be doing for it is just sit in traffic.

Don't they do that already in central London?

I think people should start gobbing at bus drivers as they get off the bus. Not very becoming perhaps, but it would get the message across.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

I think the bus drivers are justfied as they are being taken for mugs.

Every other worker for the london underground, docklands light railway, Trams & over ground railways are getting a £500 bonus for working during the olympics.

Why should the bus drivers be treated any different they will probably be busier than the other services as it is easier to put more buses on than more trains or tubes.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution

Muttykins wrote:

Every Some other workers for the london underground, docklands light railway, Trams & over ground railways are getting a £500 bonus for working during the olympics.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution
Hey hey

The ODA has given money to TLF and the various companies who will be operating the plethora of services for the Olympics. The money is given to the companies because they are being forced to operate additional services and either do not have the staffing levels or need the investment to provide whatever extra they can.

The problems with the transport sector has been that they are severely understaffed and will NOT be able to cope with the increased passenger numbers expected. They are pretty much throwing out any terms and conditions during the Olympics and pushing staff to work extra for nothing.

Strikes and unions serve a very important purpose and regardless of the spin the media puts on them or any personal feelings about money etc they are protecting their staff from getting butt*****ed by their employers.

I've worked a broad range of jobs and some companies seriously "extract the Michael" from their staff. Wages are dwindling and a lot of companies don't get annual pay rises. There has been a fair amount of recent legislation to prevent companies from treating their employees badly.

In the heyday of unions and strikes I agree the country was being held to ransom but when you put it into perspective the dwindling pay and conditions and the increase in private companies making tons o cash at the expense of their employees you have to wonder if the decline of the unions was a good thing.

Strikes are the last line of defense an employee has. Teachers, Doctors, Transport Workers, Nurses, Public Sector.... have all been on strikes recently and you can understand why.

Just because we often do not agree with a strike or their motivation behind it you need to put yourself in their shoes.

sorry for the rant

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

dannyjt

88%
12 Rank
Progress
dannyjt
Accepted Solution

PatC_PSN wrote:

They should fire every single one of the strikers and replace them with people on non-union employment contracts.

There are plenty of people around who could be trained to drive a bus or tube train, and are willing to work.

Yes please :)

Free train tickets for me please <3

Also I want to speed up when people throw themselves in front of my train <3

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
TonightWeRide2.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/people_of_the_honey

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel