Problem Solved

View Original Post
07 May 2012
By Orla-Ireland

Orla-Ireland

90%
03 Rank
Progress

Why is English music so depressing/about sex.

52 Replies 489 Views Created 07-05-2012
07 May 2012
By Orla-Ireland

No really, It's not a joke, J-POP is so super happy, about cuddly happy things that make people smile but when I look at English songs its about sex, drugs, bad times in life etc. That's so depressing and most of these people suck when they play live, but everytime I hear something live in Japanese there voices is almost as if it was studio quality. Let me compare just to show you what I mean, I don't know what to compare to however, I've spent the past 15 years of my life listening to J-Pop (No joke) I can't find any rock that would match this video so I'll just post whatever comes up on my first youtube.

UK/US: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ECl8_XL2c

Japan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRZ3YJ_yXdg&feature=relmfu

Now lets take a look at two big people currently in Japan, and UK/US thats all over the place.

UK/US: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic 

Japan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_x0GDeW77w&list=FLLRcYVyOITsS3Dn_T4ku5Tg&index=44&feature=plpp_video

Why does all of the songs we English always listen to always have things to do with some kind of''Dirty girl'' looking for someone's number, or something about a devil and that. It makes me feel even more depressed when I hear songs like this. No wonder the rate of teens self harming has went up, its clearly got something to do with today's music. Nothing is bubbly or happy, its all about there life's and I'm really not interested when I and all of us have are own problems. I just want to be happy, and its sad that J-POP and rock is the only thing that does that. I blast this music in my car and get funny looks but I don't care =). What do you guys think? Am I crazy?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

IrelandSniper

96%
08 Rank
Progress
IrelandSniper
Accepted Solution
.... so Jedward?
0 Kudos

Re: Why is English music so depressing/about sex.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Berzerker793

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Berzerker793
Accepted Solution

errr...what? don't get the point you're arguing. That jpop doesn't exist as a genre outside Japan? or that western bands should stop singing their stuff and get all sickly sweet n fluffy?

Japanese music is more than just jpop, it has its fair share of black metal, death metal, stoner, punk, emo etc...so its not just English music thats so depressing is it? 

Jpop probably isn't a big deal in the west probably because our music scenes formed from a sense of rebellion and the jpop stuff comes across as the opposite of that, far too polished, far too commercial, not enough grit...and a little bit cheesy. 

It's a cultural thing, thats not to say we dont have our own comparative genres and bands though , "Steps" anyone?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Orla-Ireland

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Orla-Ireland
Accepted Solution

^

Please don't make the topic go into what its not suppose to be. Where does it say that Jpop does not exist outside of Japan? And where did I say that western should stop? I never. Please read carefully. How can everyone else get it, but you can't. I can't explain it any better. Western music = Always depressing, about the same things, about life storys. Japanese music = Great live, life storys with fun. Happy and cuddly with music videos that don't take things seriously.

Far to commercial? Huh? What? If anything is Commercial its are stuff. Sway use to rap like a boss. Now look at him, look at Dizzy, look at the call me maybe, all of that is '' Polished'' and tuned to make it sound just right, The Japanese don't do that, and you can tell that when you go to any live shows they do. Your not really talking from knowledge but judging something in-correctly.

Indeed, There is Death Metal, but it is by no means like the junk we have. They have there own spin on things and its not all about killing, the devil etc. Death Metal is not popular in Japan. And when it is, its got something to do with Anime, and when its got something to do with anime, the Deah Metal is done with fantasy in mind.

Read Fen's post, it's great and explains what I try to do 100%.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gawge

83%
12 Rank
Progress
Gawge
Accepted Solution

Orla-Ireland wrote:

^

Please don't make the topic go into what its not suppose to be. Where does it say that Jpop does not exist outside of Japan? And where did I say that western should stop? I never. Please read carefully. How can everyone else get it, but you can't. I can't explain it any better. Western music = Always depressing, about the same things, about life storys. Japanese music = Great live, life storys with fun. Happy and cuddly with music videos that don't take things seriously.

Far to commercial? Huh? What? If anything is Commercial its are stuff. Sway use to rap like a boss. Now look at him, look at Dizzy, look at the call me maybe, all of that is '' Polished'' and tuned to make it sound just right, The Japanese don't do that, and you can tell that when you go to any live shows they do. Your not really talking from knowledge but judging something in-correctly.

Indeed, There is Death Metal, but it is by no means like the junk we have. They have there own spin on things and its not all about killing, the devil etc. Death Metal is not popular in Japan. And when it is, its got something to do with Anime, and when its got something to do with anime, the Deah Metal is done with fantasy in mind.

Japan is really cool, and totally not lame. Other places suck. 

Japan is really awesome.

Did I say that Japan is better?

Japan

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Orla-Ireland

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Orla-Ireland
Accepted Solution

Sorry but Trolling does not make you ''cool'' it just shows how much of a kid you can be. Reported.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gawge

83%
12 Rank
Progress
Gawge
Accepted Solution

Orla-Ireland wrote:

Sorry but Trolling does not make you ''cool'' it just shows how much of a kid you can be. Reported.

Geez, I can't express an opinion? 

I may not be cool. But at least Japan is. Japan is totally cool. Nothing uncool about Japan, it's all cool.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Orla-Ireland

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Orla-Ireland
Accepted Solution

Just sounded like you where being an idiot and making fun of me. Or attempting to mimic how I'm being. I don't like that sadly. If that was your intention.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xLegioNx

96%
11 Rank
Progress
xLegioNx
Accepted Solution
I think Gawge was trying to lighten the mood. But he's not very funny. Forgive him. :P
0 Kudos

Property of xLegioNx

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LarasAider

90%
05 Rank
Progress
LarasAider
Accepted Solution

Every country has it's fare share of pop music, the Netherlands for instance are a prime example, they showcase pop every year on the Eurovision and we're just the same with Jedward and 1Direction. I think what makes songs depressing is the people singing them e.g. like a person being drugged up or an alcoholic that's most likely gonna sing rubbish songs about suicide and death. A person who is light-hearted and funny would sing happy songs. If you's listen to depressing songs then it says more about you, than it does about the music itself. So if it's depressing you then listen to something else, there's plenty of good music out there to fuel your satisfaction. :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

To Gaming... Always Faithful.

Error: Undergoing Maintenance

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Warren_Jeeves

• Award Winner
98%
15 Rank
Progress
Warren_Jeeves
Accepted Solution
This thread is weird, if you have to stay home to poo lots then you should know some of the best music in the world by now and it's British and it's not what the OP linked.

Of course it's only opinion but my opinion is always right, although I did see the 5678's once and they were one of the best live bands I've seen.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Orla-Ireland

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Orla-Ireland
Accepted Solution

Warren_Jeeves wrote:
This thread is weird, if you have to stay home to poo lots then you should know some of the best music in the world by now and it's British and it's not what the OP linked.

Of course it's only opinion but my opinion is always right, although I did see the 5678's once and they were one of the best live bands I've seen.

Okay 0.o. If you say so, If this thread is ''weird'' then what is an normal thread on GD? I kind of put it out there that I don't actually listen to British music. Or any English music. Hardstyle is the only exception in a few cases when they have some English lyrics to them.

I guess theads that seem Gingerism is normal? :S. Or Pokemon fan posting silly stuff? :S They're not weird? I'd love to know what kind of threads are actually normal on GD. I'm baffled in a nice way :]

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Furys-embrace

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Furys-embrace
Accepted Solution

Orla-Ireland wrote:

Nor does blasting your J-pop out of your car to appear different in your local community. Attention seeking much?

Fact is Orla, not everyone likes that kind of plastic pop. Some people are a lot more cynical towards it. I can appreciate you are probably sick to death of the radioheads and all those other doom and gloom merchants out there but they are talented song writers and dont need to fall back on a gimmick of forced optimism and painted on smiles to sell music. I guess they are the ying to the j-pop yang thats all.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

There's nothing depressing about the Cheeky Girls.

Touch my bum this is life

It doesn't get any more profoundly uplifting than that. I rest my case.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Yaster

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
Yaster
Accepted Solution
I hate the terms "J-pop" and "K-pop" just as much as I hate the term "cosplay".

"Music of Japanese origin". MOJO, there's an awards ceremony in there somewhere.
0 Kudos

yaster's Streambadge

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

michelle_tabor

• Beta Tester
96%
12 Rank
Progress
michelle_tabor
Accepted Solution
I think some people took your post as being "english music all sucks only j-pop is good"
I don't think that's what you meant, you prefer it and tried to explain why.

Sometimes it's not easy to explain why you prefer certain types of music.
I like a lot of loud angry stuff, I'm not an angry or depressed person I just like the energy and bass in a lot of metal music.

I am a happy person but I don't like cheesy pop (apart from a few exceptions) because most of it feels fake to me.

I can't comment on j-pop because I don't know anything about it, I did like that "woo hoo" song by the 5678s though.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Orla-Ireland

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Orla-Ireland
Accepted Solution

Furys-embrace wrote:

Orla-Ireland wrote:

Nor does blasting your J-pop out of your car to appear different in your local community. Attention seeking much?

Pardon me? Being mean much :S? Is there any call for random attacks like that? If you take everyones words for granted all the time then I don't know :S.. But I guess no normal person would understand.

I'm really sorry if I'm appearing to be an idiot =(. All I'm really trying to do is getting people to talk about something I like, and finding others that have the same kinds of interests than me, I'm shareing my feelings as to what English music does to me. It my come across strange in how I've typed it but on a personal level, I just want to find people with the same interests =( Perhaps something is '' Wrong '' with me, and this is the reason why I'm completely friendless in the real world. But I wont explain a life story on a forum.

Its okay for people to bash Japanese music, calling it all kinds of words, so how is it not okay for someone to do the opposite of what some people are doing? What if Western music is alien to me? I may have an Irish name but who says I don't have an mother or father originally from the country of Japan? Its my own opinion about western music, yet people appear being mean in many ways. Even if they don't mean it, they're not really adding anything into the topic, they're just being a little hurtful. I mean the point is sometimes for some kind of discussion, it takes flames in the OT to kick great conversations, but what you get is people calling you out for looking for attention, picking out flaws in what your doing or saying and I don't know... But sorry. Don't attack at me if I'm not attacking you. If it hurts you and others so much that I have a bad opinion on music that you may like, don't come being an evil troll.

:smileysad:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Im_notSneaky

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Im_notSneaky
Accepted Solution

If it's English music you've got such a problem with try a bit of Rod Stewart.

He's Scottish don't you know.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Furys-embrace

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Furys-embrace
Accepted Solution

Orla-Ireland wrote:

Furys-embrace wrote:

Orla-Ireland wrote:

Pardon me? Being mean much :S? Is there any call for random attacks like that? If you take everyones words for granted all the time then I don't know :S.. But I guess no normal person would understand.

I'm really sorry if I'm appearing to be an idiot =(. All I'm really trying to do is getting people to talk about something I like, and finding others that have the same kinds of interests than me, I'm shareing my feelings as to what English music does to me. It my come across strange in how I've typed it but on a personal level, I just want to find people with the same interests =( Perhaps something is '' Wrong '' with me, and this is the reason why I'm completely friendless in the real world. But I wont explain a life story on a forum.

Its okay for people to bash Japanese music, calling it all kinds of words, so how is it not okay for someone to do the opposite of what some people are doing? What if Western music is alien to me? I may have an Irish name but who says I don't have an mother or father originally from the country of Japan? Its my own opinion about western music, yet people appear being mean in many ways. Even if they don't mean it, they're not really adding anything into the topic, they're just being a little hurtful. I mean the point is sometimes for some kind of discussion, it takes flames in the OT to kick great conversations, but what you get is people calling you out for looking for attention, picking out flaws in what your doing or saying and I don't know... But sorry. Don't attack at me if I'm not attacking you. If it hurts you and others so much that I have a bad opinion on music that you may like, don't come being an evil troll.

:smileysad:

No one is trolling. I merely expressed MY opinion much like you have expressed yours Orla. Thank you for editing my post btw and taking it out of its context when quoting me.

It seems its alright for you to criticise things you dont like, but if anyone dares to have an opinion not the same as your own they are a troll?

:xRolleyes:

For someone that listens to all this positive happy happy music it appears you are far from that. But I wont make assumptions about someone I don't know, I might get reported for trolling.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Orla-Ireland

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Orla-Ireland
Accepted Solution

Ehehehe.. This is not the Home Froums kiddy ^.^. You twist what I say to make it sound worse than what it is. The thing is I don't see much  criticise going on, so how is it possible that I don't like it? And what? Are you actually calling me sad? I see =) There are ways to criticise, with out being a troll. 

Your attempting to cause drama it seems :]. You should get back to the Home froums. You'll find all you need there. Your far to insulting. Your way out of context. I can't take humans like you seriously :] You just give me entertainment when you act all kid like :]. Like your not mature or something.

Nah. I wont report you <3 I'll let people see your lack of respect for calling me what seems to be '' A sad persion, who can't take any ''Criticism''. That is attention seeking. Its great that you don't know me. I'd love it to be kept that way.

Your the one way out of context, I don't need to report you for anything, the mods will notice how anti community like your being by contently being negative towards me, calling me names under the sun and insulting me in attacks that has no cal for.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Furys-embrace

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Furys-embrace
Accepted Solution

Orla-Ireland wrote:

Ehehehe.. This is not the Home Froums kiddy ^.^. You twist what I say to make it sound worse than what it is. The thing is I don't see much  criticise going on, so how is it possible that I don't like it? And what? Are you actually calling me sad? I see =) There are ways to criticise, with out being a troll. 

Your attempting to cause drama it seems :]. You should get back to the Home froums. You'll find all you need there. Your far to insulting. Your way out of context. I can't take humans like you seriously :] You just give me entertainment when you act all kid like :]. Like your not mature or something.

Nah. I wont report you <3 I'll let people see your lack of respect for calling me what seems to be '' A sad persion, who can't take any ''Criticism''. That is attention seeking. Its great that you don't know me. I'd love it to be kept that way.

Your the one way out of context, I don't need to report you for anything, the mods will notice how anti community like your being by contently being negative towards me, calling me names under the sun and insulting me in attacks that has no cal for.

Orla, now read your original post on this topic where you make huge generalisations about Western/English music and berate it as ALL being depressing. I actually posted a link to "Joy Divisions Love will tear us apart" earlier in this thread as an example of uplifting music even if the lyrics if listened to, are depressing. What do I know though? I'm just a "Kiddy"

Because YOU are driving things off topic now with epic dollops of hypocracy even though you previously requested we stay on topic in one of your other posts, I wont remark on any of your other comments in the FULLY quoted post as I'll be "twisting" I suppose.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Orla-Ireland

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Orla-Ireland
Accepted Solution

I seen the song, and it was not uplifting. To me personally. Just go away I guess. Your making me depressed. You've done all the harm you've wanted to do so leave it at that. I can't help drive things off topic if your going to be nasty.

I've not done anything to you, what gives you any right to come and say the things you've said, aimed at me at an level that has nothing to do with the topic. I hope you feel good about yourself really and I hope you did what your goal was. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel