By RaiCoss

RaiCoss

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Why is the 360 WiFi adapter so expensive?

37 Replies 416 Views Created 11-04-2010

£50? O_O

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

WJB1 wrote:

PatC_PSN wrote:

It also means users can now replace their old adapter with the new 'N' wireless adapter that should be much faster than the one built into the PS3. Modular is a much better design for some technologies.

But at the moment that's only worth doing if you want to transfer lots of stuff stuff across the network.  Even when net connections get faster it probably won't be worth doing as it's ping time that counts rather than speed.  If you do want to transfer lots of stuff across the network it's better to have a wired connection, in which case the PS3 is 1gbps while the 360 is 100mbps.

I'd say that both server ping time and bandwidth/throughput are important, although I accept that an N wireless connection isn't going to be a benefit in all cases. Possibly only a few, but the principle of modular design is still sound.

Another factor is that some B/G/N routers drop everything on the LAN down to the lowest speed connection type, so the PS3 could be dragging everything down to G speeds.

0 Kudos

Re: Why is the 360 WiFi adapter so expensive?

/16

Modern-Rock

79%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Modern-Rock
Accepted Solution
buy a wireless router,
use wireless for the PS3,
and ethernet for xBox.
0 Kudos

I HATE ppl hu tlk like this bruv.
Photobucket
/16

RaiCoss

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RaiCoss
Accepted Solution

Modern-Rock wrote:
buy a wireless router,
use wireless for the PS3,
and ethernet for xBox.

We have a wireless router, but it's like 30m away from the 360.. :(

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

WJB1

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WJB1
Accepted Solution

PatC_PSN wrote:

I'd say that both server ping time and bandwidth/throughput are important, although I accept that an N wireless connection isn't going to be a benefit in all cases. Possibly only a few, but the principle of modular design is still sound.

Another factor is that some B/G/N routers drop everything on the LAN down to the lowest speed connection type, so the PS3 could be dragging everything down to G speeds.

It's better to have a much higher speed net connection for some things but gaming isn't one of them.  You would get  the same experience playing a game online on a 1mbps connection as you would on a 100mbps connection, as long as you have a good ping time.

TBH a PS3 dragging the WLAN down from n to g isn't the fault of the PS3 it's the fault of a cheap router, very few people are going to symultaneously upgrade everything they own to n equivalents (if they exist), so the router should be able to handle it.

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
I've got to agree with PatC on this one - modular is better for this sort of thing - especially with the Xbox having a 'spare' USB at the back of the box so it can be nicely tidied away :)

All my PS3s are wired - so in effect I have paid for the wireless capabilities that I'm not ever going to use :(
Not a biggy, but...

Also, it appears that if the wireless part of the board fails, it takes out wired as well, which isn't handy :(

Personally I'd have preferred it if they had pulled the wireless onto an external device - either USB (pref for power) or even via the existing ethernet port (plus external power), and drop the PS3 price by £40 or so.

I'd also pull the PS3 PSU out of the box too = smaller and less hot :) - but that's a different thread :)
0 Kudos

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

/16

RaiCoss

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RaiCoss
Accepted Solution

TTDegs wrote:
I've got to agree with PatC on this one - modular is better for this sort of thing - especially with the Xbox having a 'spare' USB at the back of the box so it can be nicely tidied away :)

All my PS3s are wired - so in effect I have paid for the wireless capabilities that I'm not ever going to use :(
Not a biggy, but...

Also, it appears that if the wireless part of the board fails, it takes out wired as well, which isn't handy :(

Personally I'd have preferred it if they had pulled the wireless onto an external device - either USB (pref for power) or even via the existing ethernet port (plus external power), and drop the PS3 price by £40 or so.

I'd also pull the PS3 PSU out of the box too = smaller and less hot :) - but that's a different thread :)

Tbf, those are valid points. ***** your logic! >=(

P.S. Ummm, I said damñ, without the accented n O_o

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

TTDegs wrote:

Yes, that is another good reason to make it modular/optional. Most people may end up needing to buy one, but the 'hidden cost' pricing strategy doesn't seem to have done Microsoft any harm.

0 Kudos

/16

WJB1

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WJB1
Accepted Solution

PatC_PSN wrote:

TTDegs wrote:

Yes, that is another good reason to make it modular/optional. Most people may end up needing to buy one, but the 'hidden cost' pricing strategy doesn't seem to have done Microsoft any harm.

You could say that about half of the hardware/features though, most people will have something that they don't/rarely use that it might have been better for them if it was optional and they will have something that they frequently use that doesn't come as standard, they can't customise the console for everyone.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

WJB1 wrote:

You could say that about half of the hardware/features though, most people will have something that they don't/rarely use that it might have been better for them if it was optional and they will have something that they frequently use that doesn't come as standard, they can't customise the console for everyone.

There may be other examples, but apart from Bluetooth for the controllers I can't think of anything else on the PS3 that is effectively duplicated like Ethernet/Wi-Fi is. That seems to be a little different to unused functionality, although even there I can't think of anything else that it may make sense to make modular/optional.

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

WJB1 wrote:

PatC_PSN wrote:

TTDegs wrote:

true - although I'm not sure that it is half ;)

The only other bits I can think of that might only have limited appeal are the cards readers and whatnot under the 60Gb flap - and they went already ;)

0 Kudos

/16

EdwCarnby

98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution

You can get some cheapy Chinese wireless adaptors for 30 and under on eBay. Some might need setting up on the PC before you plug them into the XBOX, and some work as simply as the official adaptor. But be warned, read the descriptions thoroughly to make sure you're not being ripped off for something that effectively only acts as a receiver for game-pads or does wireless bridge (you could just as easily do ethernet bridge for £0.00).

0 Kudos

WJB1

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WJB1
Accepted Solution

TTDegs wrote:

WJB1 wrote:

PatC_PSN wrote:

TTDegs wrote:

The only other bits I can think of that might only have limited appeal are the cards readers and whatnot under the 60Gb flap - and they went already ;)

You could include USB ports (more or less), the BD drive (which is very expensive, if you don't watch BDs you don't really need it - most games would fit on a DVD, if they didn't you could swap discs),  the gigabit LAN (and cable), the HDMI (and cable), the PS multi out (and cable), the optical out (and cable), wireless controllers, extra controllers, PS eye, buzz buzzers, singstar mics, a bigger HDD and probably lots more as features that would be good for some and bad for others if they were/weren't included as standard and that's just hardware.

Everyone uses different features of their console and sony (and microsoft and nintendo) will have weighed up the cost of having something as standard or a peripheral and decided what's best.  I would guess that the amount of people using a wireless or wired network is roughly 50:50, hence the three different strategies used.

0 Kudos

/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

WJB1 wrote:

TTDegs wrote:

WJB1 wrote:

PatC_PSN wrote:

TTDegs wrote:

You could include USB ports (more or less), the BD drive (which is very expensive, if you don't watch BDs you don't really need it - most games would fit on a DVD, if they didn't you could swap discs),  the gigabit LAN (and cable), the HDMI (and cable), the PS multi out (and cable), the optical out (and cable), wireless controllers, extra controllers, PS eye, buzz buzzers, singstar mics, a bigger HDD and probably lots more as features that would be good for some and bad for others if they were/weren't included as standard and that's just hardware.

Everyone uses different features of their console and sony (and microsoft and nintendo) will have weighed up the cost of having something as standard or a peripheral and decided what's best.  I would guess that the amount of people using a wireless or wired network is roughly 50:50, hence the three different strategies used.

I do agree that people use different features, and you have to draw a line somewhere :)

You could include USB ports (more or less) - Slims only have 2 anyway, and we're looking at price point reduction - so going down to just 1.  Which might save a bit of money, but possibly not enough to be worth while?

the BD drive (which is very expensive, if you don't watch BDs you don't really need it - most games would fit on a DVD, if they didn't you could swap discs), - yes... But.  Sony (in rather clever marketing ploy) used the inclusion of the BD drive in the PS3 to help them win the HD disc 'war'.  So yes, definitely something which 'could' have been chopped to reduce price point, but probably not one that Sony would have done.

the gigabit LAN (and cable) - yes.  Although in order to add it on as a separate device option, we would need to not cut back on the USBs that we were thinking about in point one above :)

the HDMI (and cable) - yes... Although that goes pretty much hand in hand with the blu-ray drive reasoning above :)  

the PS multi out (and cable) - got to have a minimum spec method for audio / visual in there somewhere ;)

the optical out (and cable) - yes, although not sure how you could add that as an optional afterwards, unless you went down the MS route of throwing it out of the custom AV bus connector, which probably wouldn't then reduce overall costs anyway.

wireless controllers - but unless you only allowed wired controllers, this would mean another USB port in use.  Valid one to potentially make optional though :)

extra controllers, PS eye, buzz buzzers, singstar mics, a bigger HDD

These are all already optional add on extras :)

(although granted they can be bought as part of some bundles :))

0 Kudos

/16

WJB1

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WJB1
Accepted Solution

TTDegs wrote:

extra controllers, PS eye, buzz buzzers, singstar mics, a bigger HDD

These are all already optional add on extras :)

(although granted they can be bought as part of some bundles :))

Yeah but I was saying that they could come with the console.  I would guess that >80% of people that own a console buy  at least one more controller.

0 Kudos

/16

thenextbutton

87%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
thenextbutton
Accepted Solution

I have to agree that I think it is because they ship out the 360 at a low price that they charge extra for the accessories. I still think when you put all the stuff down on a piece of paper the PS3 works out cheaper in the long run. Issue is people can only see the price that is in front of them, and at the price that they charge for a 360 it seems like a bargain.

0 Kudos

Unofficial U.K Playstation.com Forums flickr Group |  | Last Platinum: NFS Hot Pursuit
>>> click here for my ps3 mac theme <<<
/16

RaiCoss

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RaiCoss
Accepted Solution

thenextbutton wrote:

I have to agree that I think it is because they ship out the 360 at a low price that they charge extra for the accessories. I still think when you put all the stuff down on a piece of paper the PS3 works out cheaper in the long run. Issue is people can only see the price that is in front of them, and at the price that they charge for a 360 it seems like a bargain.

It does work out better. Only reason I ever bought a 360 (again) is because of the massive amount of lockups I had with my Slim. If SONY can get their ***** together, my Elite will be traded in as soon as.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

nerdlegend

• Award Winner
96%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
nerdlegend
Accepted Solution

Wireless thing is a first party one.

If i remember right only MS have the rights to make and produce it. Therefore they can control the price :) 

And who makes it

That the reason why :P

0 Kudos

Photobucket
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel