Problem Solved

View Original Post
13 Jun 2012
By Logicintuwisdom

Logicintuwisdom

82%
03 Rank
Progress

Your darling bambinos - how do you discipline them?

[ Edited ]
112 Replies 596 Views edited 13-06-2012
13 Jun 2012
By Logicintuwisdom

When they are naughty, are you:-

a) A smacker?

b) Naughter stepper?

c) You use another form of discipline?

Whether a) b) or c), please state what parameters you have decided to set for yourself for the way you have chosen to discipline YOUR children? 

Also, do you feel your views are the same as what you hear in the media and our present day society or do they differ slightly or greatly as to what is the correct way to discipline our next generation?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
fenian
Accepted Solution

No one can answer this question, you can get banned for talking about violence towards minors.

0 Kudos

Re: Your darling bambinos - how do you discipline them?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Logicintuwisdom

82%
03 Rank
Progress
Logicintuwisdom
Accepted Solution
fenian wrote:
No one can answer this question, you can get banned for talking about violence towards minors.
I wonder if the owner of that furniture shop in Croydon that was burnt to the ground during the last riots would agree with what you've just said.
If we as a society don't know the difference between abuse and discipline, then imo we really are lost as a species!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

EdwCarnby

98%
10 Rank
Progress
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution
Well, it doesn't matter if that guy agrees with fen or not, there's basically house rules for the forum. If you talk about certain stuff you get banned. Some of us have had too many bans already.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Logicintuwisdom

82%
03 Rank
Progress
Logicintuwisdom
Accepted Solution
EdwCarnby wrote:
Well, it doesn't matter if that guy agrees with fen or not, there's basically house rules for the forum. If you talk about certain stuff you get banned. Some of us have had too many bans already.
Well, I hear your cautionary message loud and clear and feel I have asked the question in a responsible manner, especially after seeing the report on children in care in Thanet on Newsnight tonight.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
fenian
Accepted Solution

You're heavily implying you support violent punishment even to kids? what like beatings and stuff?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Logicintuwisdom

82%
03 Rank
Progress
Logicintuwisdom
Accepted Solution
fenian wrote:You're heavily implying you support violent punishment even to kids? what like beatings and stuff?Now we're getting down to the nitty gritty!
Perhaps you would like to define violence towards children.
I am already finding yout phrasing quite emotive!
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
fenian
Accepted Solution
no i wont, you implied it so you define it.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Logicintuwisdom

82%
03 Rank
Progress
Logicintuwisdom
Accepted Solution
fenian wrote:
no i wont, you implied it so you define it.
See how defensive you have become over a subject we should be able to discuss calmly as adults.
Violence is plain and simply a fact of life.
Sometimes it is necessary to use violence to maintain order.
There is a huge difference between controlled violence e.g. a martial arts teacher and uncontrolled violence, say two drunks fighting in the street.
The former example will not escalate, the latter will probably certainly escalate with a likelihood of more people becoming involved and possibly hurt!
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

EdwCarnby

98%
10 Rank
Progress
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution
I see, so we should use violence, to maintain order with a 6 year old. Have you considered moving to America?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

fenian

95%
06 Rank
Progress
fenian
Accepted Solution

America sounds right.

What do you think about in America they try punch the gay out of kids, would you try that with your child?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

michelle_tabor

• Beta Tester
92%
12 Rank
Progress
michelle_tabor
Accepted Solution
I wonder if this thread will be deleted or locked when I get back home later?

I was smacked once when I was 3 for running into the road, I wasn't again because sending me to my room/shouting at me/taking stuff away was enough.

I think/hope everyone on here understands there is a difference between a smack on the bum/hand and a full on beating, though sadly not everyone that has kids.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Logicintuwisdom

82%
03 Rank
Progress
Logicintuwisdom
Accepted Solution
michelle_tabor wrote:
I wonder if this thread will be deleted or locked when I get back home later? I was smacked once when I was 3 for running into the road, I wasn't again because sending me to my room/shouting at me/taking stuff away was enough. I think/hope everyone on here understands there is a difference between a smack on the bum/hand and a full on beating, though sadly not everyone that has kids.
I totally agree with what you have just said & I hope my thread is not deleted or lock & I'll do my level best to keep it on topic & not be drawn into meaningless insults.
I feel it should be mandatory that when a family has a new baby that they have to attend parenting classes to help them bring up this new child.
Reading some of the few posts to my thread already, I can see that there's almost something akin to hysteria over this whole subject. 
As a society we have to be far more level headed about this issue. There needs to be clear rules from the goverment of what is permissable & what is not.
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

PatC_PSN

• Award Winner
80%
12 Rank
Progress
PatC_PSN
Accepted Solution

Logicintuwisdom wrote:
As a society we have to be more level headed over this whole issue The needs to be clear rules from the goverment of what is permissable & what is not.

I'd say that we need far less advice and guidance from the government on how parents should raise and discipline their children, combined with far more stringent sanctions for those who are clearly not well suited to being parents (such as those who cannot distinguish between measured smacking and mindless beating for example).

In any case doesn't all of that 'smacking is violence' thinking originate from the bureaucracy of Brussels who have nothing better to do than define new rules?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xElfenLied_US

85%
06 Rank
Progress
xElfenLied_US
Accepted Solution
You sir have some sick and twisted views on things in life.

So were your parents gay, and they beat you when you took the last piece of candy?
0 Kudos

Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xElfenLied_US

85%
06 Rank
Progress
xElfenLied_US
Accepted Solution

You realise any violence towards a minor, will traumatise them later on in life, yes? And develop mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, depression, post traumatic stress disorder, or any one or mash of personality disorders.

6 year olds are smarter than you think. Just because you were stupid at that age, doesn't mean British 6 year olds are like you.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

EdwCarnby

98%
10 Rank
Progress
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution
You see, there is a difference between violence to a minor and simply disciplining them. You have used wording that implies you condone violence, thus I cannot condone this. A wee smack on the bum or a pinch on the ear to an unruly child until they submit and behave is not the same as beating them to a pulp if only to "respect" you.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Logicintuwisdom

82%
03 Rank
Progress
Logicintuwisdom
Accepted Solution
EdwCarnby wrote:
You see, there is a difference between violence to a minor & simply disciplining them. You have used wording that implies you condone violence, thus I cannot condone this. etc.,
I don't know where you're getting this notion, that I think a child should be exposed to excessive violence. I certainly do not.
It's becoming plain to me from this thread alone, that the government should be clearly defining the difference between acceptable discipline & what crosses the line into abuse.
To bring back a point that PatC_PSN raised - & I agree with, it should be OUR government in England & not Brussels that should be deciding this definition.
It's all a matter of degree. Some children are little tough nuts & a gentle tap may not be enough. To put it bluntly, if they're not shocked by a tap, then it may need to be a firm smack so it hurts to get the message through.
As far as I'm concerned anything beyond a red welt on the arm or leg is abuse. This should be the maximum a child receives.     
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Logicintuwisdom

82%
03 Rank
Progress
Logicintuwisdom
Accepted Solution
PatC_PSN wrote:
Logicintuwisdom wrote:
As a society we have to be more level headed over this whole issue There needs to be clear rules from the goverment of what is permissable & what is not.
"I'd say that we need far less advice and guidance from the government on how parents should raise and discipline their children, combined with far more stringent sanctions for those who are clearly not well suited to being parents (such as those who cannot distinguish between measured smacking and mindless beating for example)."
That's more like it!
For once, an answer from you I really liked this time.
Due to my space restriction problems, I've only quoted the portion of your post that I wanted to answer.
It reminded me of that old saying "stupid people shouldn't breed"!
However, stupid people will breed, but then go on to have babies that are not stupid; regardless, it is all the more reason to assist those parents who may not have a lot of common sense.
(cont.)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Logicintuwisdom

82%
03 Rank
Progress
Logicintuwisdom
Accepted Solution

(Continued to PatC_PSN) The real danger and where I feel the goverment should definitely be getting more involved, is where you have a sitution where parents give birth to children that are brighter than they are. It is entirely logical, although not right, that a parent or parents who sense their offspring are more intelligent may seek to control and subjugate that child through fear of that greater intelligence, when obviously what they need to be doing is nourishing and encouraging that intelligence to flourish.

Indeed, so called 'gifted' children with high IQs, imo definitely do not get the kind of 'fast-track' attention they need from parents that maybe are at the less affluent ends of society and also the various institutions that need to know they exist in the first place.  

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xElfenLied_US

85%
06 Rank
Progress
xElfenLied_US
Accepted Solution

Logicintuwisdom wrote:

(Continued to PatC_PSN) The real danger and where I feel the goverment should definitely be getting more involved, is where you have a sitution where parents give birth to children that are brighter than they are. It is entirely logical, although not right, that a parent or parents who sense their offspring are more intelligent may seek to control and subjugate that child through fear of that greater intelligence, when obviously what they need to be doing is nourishing and encouraging that intelligence to flourish.

Indeed, so called 'gifted' children with high IQs, imo definitely do not get the kind of 'fast-track' attention they need from parents that maybe are at the less affluent ends of society and also the various institutions that need to know they exist in the first place.  

Wow you posted without using a quote for every sentence! Can you do this more often please?

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel