09 Oct 2007
Playstation Staff

PSP Instructions - PSN Accounts, Updating and USB Mode

[ Edited ]
114 Replies 35,228 Views edited 05-09-2010

Hi all,

This thread is to help people who want to sign into a different PSN Account on their PSP's, update the PSP and to help with problems relating to USB mode.

Using a different PSN Account:

If the PSP has already had one PSN Account logged in on it and you wish to use a different account, you can:

1) Go to "Account Management" and press triangle. (Dont need 2 sign in)
2) Choose "Delete Account" (it just deactivates it off ur psp).
3) Choose "Sign Up" and then "Existing Account".
4) Put in your account details and choose ok.
5) You can now sign into your account.

How to Update the PSP: (Via USB)
1) Download the Update file off the PlayStation website. (http://uk.playstation.com/psp/support/system-software/ use this site, then click on the newest firmware version, normally the one at the top)
2) Connect PSP via a USB Cable
3) Go into My Computer > Drive X (X being the removable drive of your PSP's Memory Stick) > PSP (if doesnt exist, create) > GAME (if doesnt exist, create) > UPDATE (if doesnt exist, create) (Note: Each folder MUST be in capital letters)
4) Open a new window, and go to where you saved the EBOOT Update File.
5) Right click the EBOOT Update File > and Copy.
6) Go back onto the GAME window > Right Click in a blank area and select Paste. (It is best to copy the file, because if it appears corrupt on the PSP then you dont have to re-download the file)
7) Press 'O' on your PSP.
8) Plug in the AC Adapter (Charger)
9) If you are using a PSP with System Software 5.51 or below, go to the GAME section of the XMB (Cross - Media Bar) and go to the Memory Stick option (Bottom) and press “X”. Click on the Update file (PSP Update Version X.XX) (Please note – if the update file is not there, or shows as “Corrupt”, press “Triangle” on the file, Delete, and repeat Steps 2 onwards)
10) If you are using a PSP with System Software 6.00 or above, go to the Settings section of the XMB (Cross-Media Bar / Home Menu), go to “System Update” at the top, Press “X”, and choose “Update via Storage Media”.
12) Run the Update, being careful NOT to switch off the power or knock anything, just let it run.
13) Once the update has run, it will restart your PSP. You can now delete the Update file.

PSP Firmware Updating (Via Wireless)
1) On the PSP XMB (Cross-Media Bar), go to SETTINGS.
2) If you are using PSP System Software 5.51 or below, scroll up to Network Update, and press 'X'. If you are using PSP System Software 6.00 or above, “Network Update” is renamed to “System Update”. Click on “System Update” and choose “Update via Wireless”
3) Choose the name of the WLAN connection.
4) The PSP system will now be scanning to see if there is a later version of the firmware. (which, at the time of posting, is 6.31)
5) Once scan has done, it will give you an option to download the update.
6) Press download and let the system download the update.
7) Once download has finished, it will ask whether you would like to update now or do it manually. (I chose manual, only because battery was low so it wouldnt let me do it automatically, i had to put on charge)
8) Before you update, plug in the AC Adapter (Charger)
9) If manually updating, follow the instructions above for “How to Update the PSP: Via USB”, from step 9) Onwards.
10) Once update is finished, the PSP system will reboot and you can now delete the update.

NOTE: If you lose connection whilst downloading, DO NOT WORRY! The download % will just stay still for about 3minutes. if in that time it cannot reconnect itself, it will show a pop-up stating that it has lost connection. If this happens, just restart the download. You will start from 0%. If it reconnects, the %bar will just carry on increasing as normal.

PSP not recognised in USB Mode (PC with Windows XP) (not sure if works on other PC's with different Windows versions)
1) Connect PSP via USB. It should say Please Wait...
2) If you have a PC with Windows, go to Start, then Control Panel
3) Go to Printers and Other Hardware
4) On the left should be a drop down menu. The top option is Add Hardware. Click it
5) Once the window loads up, press Next
6) It should now be scanning for 'Recently Added but Not Installed Hardware'
7) Once it has stopped searching, just click cancel
8) Now, on your PSP, press a direction button if it has gone into screen saver mode, or just look at the screen. It should now say USB Mode.

(Thanks Tyrant1234)For anyone experiencing the psp type A or type B message when connecting via USB, and it says it cannot find drivers.

The solution I have found to work well is to let the device wizard let you choose driver location, when you have selected that option get your computer to search:

C:\Windows\System32

And make sure to check the "search all subfolders" tab

This SHOULD get your computer to find the drivers needed, just repeat for as many things come up until it says device is ready to use.

This mainly seems to be an issue for Vista but if it helps anyone on XP then thats all well and good .

If the problems whilst trying to connect via USB still persist, try a different USB cable, as sometimes it may be something that simple.

(Thanks DaDarkVolkaN) If you need to install PSP on a PC with Windows XP, please put USBSTOR.INF and USBSTOOR.SYS in one folder and then let windows look in this folder

Problem: Cannot connect PSP via wireless to a friends PSP via AD-HOC, even though in same room

Solution: (do this on all participating PSP systems)

1) On the XMB (Xross-Media Bar, or home menu, whatever u prefer to call it), go all the way to the left to SETTINGS.
2) On SETTINGS, scroll all the way down to NETWORK SETTINGS and press "X"
3) Choose AD-HOC
4) Set each PSP to the same Channel (I recommend Automatic).
5) Now each PSP should be able to connect with each other, for sharing pictures, Game Sharing, or to vs. each other.

I hope this thread has helped people, if there are any more problems, please post and I am sure the PlayStation community will do our best to help out.

With thanks to Tyrant1234 for the PSP Type A / B solution, DaDarkVolkaN for PSP installation on a PC, and Yaster for updating the thread

Message 1 of 115 (35,228 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: PSP Instructions: Updating and USB Mode

yes!, i hope this will stop people asking for help Make this a sticky
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

w00p
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 115 (35,149 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Thank God. Hopefully this area wont get clogged with threads about updating.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 115 (35,142 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

im not clogging up, but it didnt work:xCry: i think its to do with the system version (3.71)as my freind has an earlier version but it did
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 115 (35,141 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

PSP Firmware Updating (Via Wireless)

1) On the PSP XMB (Cross-Media Bar), go to SETTINGS.
2) Scroll up to Network Update, and press 'X'
3) Choose the name of the WLAN connection.
4) The PSP system will now be scanning to see if there is a later version of the firmware. (which, at the time of posting, is 3.72)
5) Once scan has done, it will give you an option to download the update.
6) Press download and let the system download the update.
7) Once download has finished, it will ask whether you would like to update now or do it manually. (I chose manual, only because battery was low so it wouldnt let me do it automatically, i had to put on charge)
8) Before you update, plug in the AC Adapter (Charger)
9) If manually updating, follow the instructions.
10) Once update is finished, the PSP system will reboot and you can now delete the update.
If doing automatically, I presume it is the same procedure.

NOTE: If you lose connection whilst downloading, DO NOT WORRY! The download % will just stay still for about 3minutes. if in that time it cannot reconnect itself, it will show a pop-up stating that it has lost connection. If this happens, just restart the download. You will start from 0%. If it reconnects, the %bar will just carry on increasing as normal.

LOSING CONNECTION CAN NOT BRICK YOUR PSP!
I should know, I lost connection to my neighbours wireless (he got it in his front room, so I have to stay in my front room, and i just thought i wud check if losing connection would brick the psp)(he does know I use his internet, he told me password)

I hope this addition has helped

NOTE 2: Using someone elses Wireless internet access without them knowing IS ILLEGAL. It is classed as theft as you do not have permission to use that internet connection, and you are not paying the bill. If that person knows you are using the connection and have told you the password/you can use it, it is LEGAL
Message 5 of 115 (35,138 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i dont have my psp yet but when i get it will i have to upsate it with all this?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 115 (35,137 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I brought psp-2006 this is the model nos. but this model is not showing in the www.playstation.com site . I would like to register my model # & serial # so that i can received sms & emails at my psp for the lastest sofeware & updates.
So, can you pls help me out what shall i do to get register for my psp:smileysad: :Confused:
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 115 (35,138 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

i dont have my psp yet but when i get it will i have to upsate it with all this? It gets worse, you will then have to give it to me.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 115 (35,138 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Replying to:

PSPtillxmassad:
You dont have to update to the latest firmware, but if you have a PS3 (or even if you dont), the updates can contain useful things, such as Themes (The PSP Icons can now be changed), or extra connectivity to the PS3.

Juni:
I think that model PSP isnt European/Region 2. On the box, there should be (im not too sure, as i cant find my original PSP box), should be a diagram of a sphere and a number. if that number IS 2, then I cannot see why, but if IS NOT 2, then its because it is from a different region (such as Japan/USA).
Message 9 of 115 (35,132 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

For anyone experiencing the psp type A or type B message when connecting via USB, and it says it cannot find drivers.

The solution I have found to work well is to let the device wizard let you choose driver location, when you have selected that option get your computer to search:

C:\Windows\System32

And make sure to check the "search all subfolders" tab

This SHOULD get your computer to find the drivers needed, just repeat for as many things come up until it says device is ready to use.

This mainly seems to be an issue for Vista but if it helps anyone on XP then thats all well and good :Thumbs:
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 115 (35,133 Views)
0 Kudos