New messages in the last hour
Get a response within minutes
92% percent of messages responded to
This thread is to help people who want to sign into a different PSN Account on their PSP's, update the PSP and to help with problems relating to USB mode.
Using a different PSN Account:
If the PSP has already had one PSN Account logged in on it and you wish to use a different account, you can:
1) Go to "Account Management" and press triangle. (Dont need 2 sign in)
2) Choose "Delete Account" (it just deactivates it off ur psp).
3) Choose "Sign Up" and then "Existing Account".
4) Put in your account details and choose ok.
5) You can now sign into your account.
How to Update the PSP: (Via USB)
1) Download the Update file off the PlayStation website. (http://uk.playstation.com/psp/support/system-software/ use this site, then click on the newest firmware version, normally the one at the top)
2) Connect PSP via a USB Cable
3) Go into My Computer > Drive X (X being the removable drive of your PSP's Memory Stick) > PSP (if doesnt exist, create) > GAME (if doesnt exist, create) > UPDATE (if doesnt exist, create) (Note: Each folder MUST be in capital letters)
4) Open a new window, and go to where you saved the EBOOT Update File.
5) Right click the EBOOT Update File > and Copy.
6) Go back onto the GAME window > Right Click in a blank area and select Paste. (It is best to copy the file, because if it appears corrupt on the PSP then you dont have to re-download the file)
7) Press 'O' on your PSP.
8) Plug in the AC Adapter (Charger)
9) If you are using a PSP with System Software 5.51 or below, go to the GAME section of the XMB (Cross - Media Bar) and go to the Memory Stick option (Bottom) and press “X”. Click on the Update file (PSP Update Version X.XX) (Please note – if the update file is not there, or shows as “Corrupt”, press “Triangle” on the file, Delete, and repeat Steps 2 onwards)
10) If you are using a PSP with System Software 6.00 or above, go to the Settings section of the XMB (Cross-Media Bar / Home Menu), go to “System Update” at the top, Press “X”, and choose “Update via Storage Media”.
12) Run the Update, being careful NOT to switch off the power or knock anything, just let it run.
13) Once the update has run, it will restart your PSP. You can now delete the Update file.
PSP Firmware Updating (Via Wireless)
1) On the PSP XMB (Cross-Media Bar), go to SETTINGS.
2) If you are using PSP System Software 5.51 or below, scroll up to Network Update, and press 'X'. If you are using PSP System Software 6.00 or above, “Network Update” is renamed to “System Update”. Click on “System Update” and choose “Update via Wireless”
3) Choose the name of the WLAN connection.
4) The PSP system will now be scanning to see if there is a later version of the firmware. (which, at the time of posting, is 6.31)
5) Once scan has done, it will give you an option to download the update.
6) Press download and let the system download the update.
7) Once download has finished, it will ask whether you would like to update now or do it manually. (I chose manual, only because battery was low so it wouldnt let me do it automatically, i had to put on charge)
8) Before you update, plug in the AC Adapter (Charger)
9) If manually updating, follow the instructions above for “How to Update the PSP: Via USB”, from step 9) Onwards.
10) Once update is finished, the PSP system will reboot and you can now delete the update.
NOTE: If you lose connection whilst downloading, DO NOT WORRY! The download % will just stay still for about 3minutes. if in that time it cannot reconnect itself, it will show a pop-up stating that it has lost connection. If this happens, just restart the download. You will start from 0%. If it reconnects, the %bar will just carry on increasing as normal.
PSP not recognised in USB Mode (PC with Windows XP) (not sure if works on other PC's with different Windows versions)
1) Connect PSP via USB. It should say Please Wait...
2) If you have a PC with Windows, go to Start, then Control Panel
3) Go to Printers and Other Hardware
4) On the left should be a drop down menu. The top option is Add Hardware. Click it
5) Once the window loads up, press Next
6) It should now be scanning for 'Recently Added but Not Installed Hardware'
7) Once it has stopped searching, just click cancel
8) Now, on your PSP, press a direction button if it has gone into screen saver mode, or just look at the screen. It should now say USB Mode.
(Thanks Tyrant1234)For anyone experiencing the psp type A or type B message when connecting via USB, and it says it cannot find drivers.
The solution I have found to work well is to let the device wizard let you choose driver location, when you have selected that option get your computer to search:
And make sure to check the "search all subfolders" tab
This SHOULD get your computer to find the drivers needed, just repeat for as many things come up until it says device is ready to use.
This mainly seems to be an issue for Vista but if it helps anyone on XP then thats all well and good .
If the problems whilst trying to connect via USB still persist, try a different USB cable, as sometimes it may be something that simple.
(Thanks DaDarkVolkaN) If you need to install PSP on a PC with Windows XP, please put USBSTOR.INF and USBSTOOR.SYS in one folder and then let windows look in this folder
Problem: Cannot connect PSP via wireless to a friends PSP via AD-HOC, even though in same room
Solution: (do this on all participating PSP systems)
1) On the XMB (Xross-Media Bar, or home menu, whatever u prefer to call it), go all the way to the left to SETTINGS.
2) On SETTINGS, scroll all the way down to NETWORK SETTINGS and press "X"
3) Choose AD-HOC
4) Set each PSP to the same Channel (I recommend Automatic).
5) Now each PSP should be able to connect with each other, for sharing pictures, Game Sharing, or to vs. each other.
I hope this thread has helped people, if there are any more problems, please post and I am sure the PlayStation community will do our best to help out.
With thanks to Tyrant1234 for the PSP Type A / B solution, DaDarkVolkaN for PSP installation on a PC, and Yaster for updating the thread
yeah thanks saw it right after posting and tried to cancel my last post but guess it didn't work. after installing it says i could delete the update.....HOW?
went thru just about all the settings and couldn't find it.
also is it possible to add friends on psp or is that only on ps3? got a couple m8's i wanna play with but could be difficult if unable to set up private room then invite them
I just tried to download from the store onto my PSP and the software I installed from the site tells me to connect my PSP in USB mode. However, according to my PSP screen, it is connected. Is there any way I can fix this?
mine doesnt have internet thats why im doing it wirelessly, HELP
Website ©2017 Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe Limited. All content, game titles, trade names and/or trade dress, trademarks, artwork and associated imagery are trademarks and/or copyright material of their respective owners. All rights reserved. More info