22 Dec 2008
Playstation Staff

psp wifi not supported

24 Replies 112,810 Views Created 22-12-2008

hi i recently bought a psp

and in the time i had it before the screen cracked after a day when i tried connecting to my home wifi or college wifi it would say it wasn't supported

any reasons why it may not be supported or a patch of any kind

this is what's stopping me from replacing the screen as all i want it for is the wifi mainly so i can connect to my ps3 (which uses the home wifi)

cheers

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25 (112,810 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: psp wifi not supported

Do you know what type of security is on the network? ie. WEP, WPA etc.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25 (112,796 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

not supported means the security isnt supported. 4 example, u will probs have WPA2 encryption, wich ps3 supports, however psp dont. u will need 2 change 2 one psp supports, WPA being the highest it can support i think
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Coventry City FC Fan, BSc Hons in Computer Science.
PS1 original, PS2 original & slim, PS3 original & slim, PSP original, PSVita Day 1, PS4 Day 1 Player Edition bundle #4ThePlayers
YouTube Channel - Gaming | Sporting Events | Music Events
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25 (112,782 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

so is this something i can change on my wifi box thing lol

anyone recon there will be a firmware update that makes the psp support more wifi security types?

cheers for the replies 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25 (112,761 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

The PSP already supports most of the more popular encryptions, so I doubt that there'll be a firmware update for more.

It's a bit strange that it wouldn't connect to your college wi-fi nor your home connection. You may have to phone Sony: 08705 99 88, as your wi-fi chip may be fryed.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25 (112,749 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

i was going too but my screen broke before i got round to doing it

it did pick up one wifi signal at my college, but i don't think it was a college network. Only problem was that it had a password. But i have heard that there is a patch you can get on the internet that cracks all wifi passwords

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25 (112,744 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'm sure you can find a pc program that would do it, but we are definitely not allowed to talk about that here, because decrypting someone else's wifi without permission is illegal.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25 (112,736 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

The psp uses wireless B, there's a strong chance your router is broadcasting in wireless G only - I had this issue : psp will detect network then complain about unsupported security despite key being correct. You need to change your router to broadbast in wireless B & G : normally a setting in the web interface of the router.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25 (112,733 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'm having the same problem.  I bought the Metal Gears Solid edition and tried to connect with my Apple Time Capsule and it told me psp wifi not supported.  I've tried changing all the security settings around with no luck.  

Does anyone know how to connect my psp to this type of mac device?  I would appreciate it!

Pete

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25 (107,724 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'm REALLY not a genius when it comes to internet connections and such, but i managed to fix the same problem!

I had the same problem, ate my guts out of frustration while trying to fix it.

I tried to connect my psp a hundred times with all different types of passwords! wep, wpa, wpa2, wpa aes,... whatever!

nothing worked...

What I did is I just disabled my router's password, then I connected the psp to it (manually, choose password: none), boom!  Seems to work... O_o

afterwards I put back a WEP-password on my connection, and my psp still connects!

Maybe give it a try! 

However, if I want to make a new connection and press scan, the same network name appears on the screen and it's still not supported... but you know, i can play online now... good enough I say!

If this method doesn't work, I really don't know what else to do. While I was trying, I changed sooo many settings on my connections, really messed things up! ^^

gl!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25 (107,328 Views)
0 Kudos