25 Jan 2009
Playstation Staff

PSP WiFi Problems...

[ Edited ]
6 Replies 1,283 Views edited 25-01-2009

I have had my PSP Slim for over a year and have not had any problems, but recently the WiFi has been playing up. I'll scan for an Access Point and it will detect my Wireless Router (and any other available Access Points), but when i Scan it again, it will not detecting anything (even when im next to the Router)...

I have double checked my Router that the Access Point has been enabled, checked that the SSID is the same on the PSP and on the Router, checked that the WEP/WPA-PSK Key are the same on the PSP and on the Router, and have checked the Router to see if it might be blocking the PSP's MAC Address, but it isn't... 

Antone got any suggestions ???

Message Edited by DeadCell-198X on 25-01-2009 09:19 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (1,283 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: PSP WiFi Problems...

[ Edited ]

A proper working WiFi connection is depending on lots of factors in the area/neighborhood where it's used, compared to a wired connection(so people who don't know what to do can configure their wlan device in such a way that they messed up other networks, so try to learn how it works, to enjoy stable connections in your area).

Also be shure that the antenna(right type for your situation, and good polarized) & coax cable is connected properly.

WiFi uses a few channels, different in some regions on this world.

I assume you live in Europe. Europe uses WiFi channel 1 to 13.

A wifi device who offers a wlan (max 254 devices in theory), or a ad-hoc(max 2 devices) connection uses a wifi channel for transmitting/broadcasting & receiving) .

So if you want to have a stable connection, then it's very important that you use a wifi channel that isn't used by another device in your neighborhood.

And Wifi channels are overlapped. See image below:

WiFi 802.11 frequency channel map

So If you want a stable connection, use a wifi channel that isn't already in use in your neighborhood. And if you want full bandwith, choose a free not in use wifi channel, with above and under it at least 4 channels free/not in use.

You need some kinda wifi scanning software on a computer with wifi module (IEEE802.11b/g) remember our PSP is IEEE802.11b only, so be shure that your wirelessrouter is set to mixedmode b/g, and so not g or n protocol only!

IEEE802.11 scanning software:

Linux users: see your package manager and search for "air", be aware what you installed, because Linux offers also neat wifi scanners/decrypters/sniffer tools, software that can be illegal, it depends on how you use it and where, so read the package discription before you install it..

Windows users: 2000 & xp : Netstumbler, Vista & 7 : Vistumbler, Mobile : WiFiFofum.

OS-X, hell you find out, probably the same as Linux, since OS-X & Linux are almost the same, both unix based.

Bericht bewerkt door Jeroensky op 26-01-2009 05:57 PM
∆○×□ PSP1004 (Phat 1st gen.) 5.00 M33-6 (+1.50) + 32GB Pro-Duo.
∆○×□ PS4 1.7X + 500GB hdd + Dualshock4 + PS4 Camera,
Xperia-Z1 Android 4.4.X + 32GB microSD + Philips SHB9100
My website.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (1,257 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Err, what's all that about ???

Anyone got a price of how much it will be to get it repaired (if it can) ???

Message Edited by DeadCell-198X on 27-01-2009 04:58 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (1,227 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

stupid question but, is the psp's WLAN switch turned on?
Net Yaroze PS1 || Universal JPN PS2 || PS3 320GB - PS3 Slim 1TB || PS4 500GB || || Limited Edition Crisis Core PSP-2000
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (1,210 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Obviously the switch is turned on...

Iv emailed the Customer Service and not much help that they are i got given a number to call, but when i ring up all's i get is "For such and such please press 1, please press 2" ect, then it's "Due to the heavy snowfall no one is available to take your call" or something like that !!!!!!

What the hell am i supposed to do ???

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (1,136 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

First, try to see if your router is compatible. Then diagnose it with Windows.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (1,104 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Can anyone help me please???

I recently change the security on my router to WPA2-PSK due to having problems logging into the playstation network on my PS3. I made a new connection, and it lists my access point, but under security says 'not Supported'. Can anyone help me sort this out please as i've checked if the PSP supports WPA2-PSK and it says it does so i do not know what the problem is :Confused:

Thanks

Router: Netgear DG834G v3

PSP: 2003

[url=http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/akinola1/] [img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/akinola1.png[/img] [/url]
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (817 Views)
0 Kudos