20 Apr 2008
By: obiwan3000 Member 443 Posts
Level 3

PSP battery saver

5 Replies 179,974 Views Created 20-04-2008
i always have the WLAN switch on. Does it save battery if i turn this off even when not using the internet or remote play?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (179,974 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: PSP battery saver

i think that when the wlan switch is switched on it is always searching for a connection so im pretty sure yes
Visit http://freewebs.com/best4budget for fast and free buying advice on anything that you could want- anything from games consoles to holidays.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (179,960 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

is that just a guess or 100% correct
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (179,947 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I am 99% certain that when you have the WLAN switch on then your PSP is actively looking for a connection to log on to - which uses more power than if you don't have it searching for anything at all.  It can't hurt to turn it off if you're not using it... 

(#[_]+) PSP
---------------------------------------------
Now playing: FFVII Crisis Core, LEGO Indiana Jones.
My wishlist: Elder Scrolls Travels, Jackson/Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (179,935 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Duff_B wrote:
I am 99% certain that when you have the WLAN switch on then your PSP is actively looking for a connection to log on to - which uses more power than if you don't have it searching for anything at all.  It can't hurt to turn it off if you're not using it... 
I dont think it does because:
1. The green WLAN light doesnt flash.
2. It only connects to a network when you want it to.
3. It checks for WLAN APs when you want to go online 
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (179,925 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

On the PSP Slim and Lite at least, merely having the WLAN switch enabled is at least doing something. I'm not entirely certain if it's scannig for connections or doing something else, but I've been able to observe a definite and repeatable problem with loading from the UMD drive when the WLAN switch is on. Given that the problem can be eliminated simply by disabling the WLAN it's fair to assume that it does do at least something when enabled, even if it's only something very minor. I should probably contact Sony about my findings, as I believe it's a design flaw (or at least a long standing problem in the firmware) and may affect all Slim and Lite users. Whilst I don't believe the same problem affects the original PSP, I would imagine that it operates the WLAN in a similar way when the switch is enabled.

I've been intentionally vague in my reasons for assuming the WLAN draws power when enabled even if the game being played does not make use of it, but this is simply because I don't want to derail the thread. I'll leave my findings for another time and place. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (179,919 Views)
0 Kudos