PlayStation®Network

PlayStation®Store

PlayStation®Store

09 May 2012
By: nrvallen Member 13 Posts
Level 1

Do full digital games include online passes? Specifically Bad Company 2.

9 Replies 4014 Views Created 09-05-2012

I've read elsewhere that some games purchased on PSN require a separate online pass.  Is this correct?  Purchasing from a high street store you would get a code with the game.

I've seen Bad Company 2 on the store and was tempted to buy it but I don't want to get screwed with the online pass.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (4,014 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Re: Do full digital games include online passes? Specifically Bad Company 2.

Yes the passes are built into the download file Bad Company 2 isn't too badly priced actually if you weigh up the price of second hand copy and the price of a online pass on top.

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (4,007 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

I think every online game on PSN will come with the online pass built in. Unless anyone knows of any exceptions?

"And when I grow up
I will be smart enough to answer all
the questions that you need to know
the answers to before you're grown up"
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (4,004 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

yes you get the PASS included if you buy the game from PSN.

PASS is for games on the 2nd hand market you are buying first hand new from PSN

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (3,998 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Thank you.  I will probably pick this game up again in that case.

I had read somewhere that games from certain developers (Ubisoft, Capcom) don't inlcude an online pass when purchased through the online store.  Also, with EA games you have to be careful because often times you can buy the game new on the store but they've already turned off online mulitplayer.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (3,984 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

QuietlyWrong wrote:

I think every online game on PSN will come with the online pass built in. Unless anyone knows of any exceptions?

Given the reasoning behind online passes and the bad press they garner, it would be suicidal for publishers to require one for a download title, in my opinion.

Doesn't mean Activision won't :CoolDevil:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (3,978 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

nrvallen wrote:

I had read somewhere that games from certain developers (Ubisoft, Capcom) don't inlcude an online pass when purchased through the online store.  Also, with EA games you have to be careful because often times you can buy the game new on the store but they've already turned off online mulitplayer.

Capcom and Ubisoft don't do online Passes

Who do online passes  at the moment are

EA

THQ

SONY

CODEMASTERS

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (3,972 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

nrvallen wrote:

EA

THQ

SONY

CODEMASTERS

Ubisoft have introduced the Uplay passport when Assasin's Creed Revelations released. 

I think some Capcom games require PSN login to actually play them. Which annoyed loads when the network was down last year for weeks.

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (3,964 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

mont348 wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

nrvallen wrote:

EA

THQ

SONY

CODEMASTERS

Ubisoft have introduced the Uplay passport when Assasin's Creed Revelations released. 

I think some Capcom games require PSN login to actually play them. Which annoyed loads when the network was down last year for weeks.

Ah not a fan of assasins creed,

I beleive Capcom have pacthed that out of the games that required it also due to the PSN downtimelast year.

But as said online pass is for 2nd hand games not new or PSN downloads

Below is a Signature

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (3,962 Views)
0 Kudos

I have a question. I know that games from Ubisoft require the online pass Uplay passport , and it was mentioned on this exact post. I have purchased a few games starting with AC: Rev, I currrently have Assassin's Creed 3 which came with its own Uplay passport as well. But one problem I have with games is I will always trade them in, and I dont like to buy the pre owned, but if i do i Look through ALL the boxes and see if any of them have the insert in them still with the registration code, or passport, or online pass etc. usually the codes will be already used up but I have found if you check them all at the store your buying from about 1/3 times you will find the items, and or Online pass hasnt been redeemed.

So I dont wanna pay 59.99 to buy a game on the psn store that isnt physically in my hands, that I cant take with me, or let a friend or family member borrow. And lastly To trade in. I subscribe to PS plus so I can take advantage of permanently installed games though, and I have purchased my fair share of software off the PSN store, as y 3 fwell as being a hardcore Ps Enthusiast since day 1 and having bought between the 3 ps1'2, 2 ps2, and now 4th ps3 I have had i definetely have been loyal to sony. But I find it OUTRAGEOUS that they have the nerve to require u to purchase online passes to access multiplayer on games, its a smart business tactic sure, but it feels cheap too me.

Nev ertheless my question is specififcally I have been waiting a LONGGGG time for Far Cry 3, and its multiplayer experience is a whole 'nother story seperate from the single player game, which is a major draw on why I have been waiting a long time to buy this game. I would love to NOT be able to trade it in and have this game permanently. But I do NOT want to pay more for this game then I would in the store, so if I buy a New 59.99 purchase of Far Cry 3 from the Playstation Store i WONT have to additionally buy a 9.99 uplay passport for it as well? If thats the case then Where do I recieve the Uplay passport to register my copy on my console with it? How does it come to you? I read on this specific post that Uplay passports from Ubisoft games are included in the initial purchase so thats why I ask here. SORRRY for the Long Post. I hope you have been patient enough to read it.

Thanks for anyone who can confirm for me , and anyone who cares to read my thoughts on Digital games downloads, and online passes.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (3,255 Views)
0 Kudos