PlayStation®Network

PlayStation®Store

PlayStation®Store

Level 10

Re: Kingdoms of amalur demo?

It's really, really buggy, but I enjoyed what I did get to play... Bugs aside, it would be nicer if there was slightly more feeling of weight to the player character and a bit deeper shading on the graphics.

But I tried to play it during peak time - big mistake. It just spend forever trying to connect to EA's one 386 server they have set aside for this demo. Not a good first impression for an offline single player game. I tried off peak and it connected - eventually, and I got to play.

But once I got outside, things went a bit strange after a while. Sound would only play for either the background music or sound effects, but not both. Dialogue with NPCs auto-skipped, so the only bit I could read was the last subtitle it left on screen as I chose an option. It seemed to have difficulty determining which NPC I had just talked to, as it teleported me between two that were close together. Then it eventually gave up all together and hard locked my console... I never even made it to the village.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 20 (335 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

I agree with what you said about the character, it was really floaty and I never actually felt in control.

PSN: SlickShoes
Steam: Skiiba
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 20 (329 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

i had some small annoyances but overall I liked it.

EA is notorious for simply churning out titles and this felt like a bog standard RPG where the developers have paid little effort to the UI and feel of the game. I think DA and skyrim have set the bar for RPG's and titles like this just feel bland and washed out by comparison.

I'm certainly gonna give it a rent

the game wouldnt even load for me yesterday. I thought it was due to the maintenance (yes i know you connected to EA) for some reason or another it looked like you needed to be signed in for it to load :/

EA just love making every game connect to their servers (data harvesting)
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 20 (318 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I too had issues with this demo. Biggest being the sound constantly dropping. Also and graphical bugs and it seemed the fps lagged every now and again. I hope this is based on a early build build as it seems to have a lot of potential. Would have liked the ability to have a mount as well but I've read it won't be included at all

Playing: Tomb Raider, COD: ghosts
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 20 (297 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

[ Edited ]

The demo build was 3 months old :-

http://www.analoghype.com/video-games/playstation-3-news/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-2-confirmed-fi...

I assume that applies to the PS3 build.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 20 (270 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

3 months is nothing given all the problems with it - no doubt most of the issues I had with the demo design-wise will be in the retail copy then...:smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 20 (262 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Bugs aside, this game is lacking technically wise !

Are you guys really that exited about dynamic lighting that produce NO dynamic shadows, invisible walls, narrow corridors instead of levels, you-can-jump-only-here points, non-existent facial animation etc?

----------------------------- essential backlog -----------------------------
[ Heavy Rain, inFamous, Killzone, Jak, Ratchet, God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Sly Cooper, Resistance, The Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls ] [ Half-Life 2, Bioshock, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Batman, Dead Space, Remember Me, Deus Ex ]
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 20 (245 Views)
Level 7

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 20 (230 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

It's not the obvious bugs that are the problem for me - you would hope it didn't ship in that kind of state. It is more the design, feel and look that doesn't grab me as much as I hoped it was going to. I will no doubt pick it up one day, it's not bad. But I certainly won't be pre-ordering and paying top dollar for it. Especially while I have Resistance 3, God of War 3, Uncharted 3 and Arkham City sitting on my shelf unplayed...

(Man it was a year of 3's last year - and BF3 is what is taking all my time right now).

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 20 (229 Views)
0 Kudos

It's on the US page boo
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 20 (79 Views)
0 Kudos