96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Should online trophies be scrapped?

111 Replies 962 Views Created 24-01-2012

For me personally, getting online trophies is a real pain. I hate depending on others to achieve a goal.
Anywho, I do think they can be enjoyable, especially multiplayer FPS one's.

But... how many threads on here ask for help / boosts on games where the servers are practically dead? It gets particularly hard if some of the desserted games require 4x (or more) players in order to achieve a trophy.
AND in one particular case I can think of, online trophies are an impossibility to attain. EA's TheLord of the Rings: Conquest has had it's server taken down and the platinum is no longer possible.

To me... it seems that completing online trophies are more of a hassle than anything else... but what do you think?? (shame i can't do a poll)

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

whittle1

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
whittle1
Accepted Solution

It seems some of you have misunderstood me.
I love getting co-op trophies, but they should give the player the option to achieve them either online or offline.
And to the poster who mentioned LOTR Plat... I don't have that game smart git!

0 Kudos

Re: Should online trophies be scrapped?

/16

Haggisdodger

83%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Haggisdodger
Accepted Solution

I’m kind of on the fence with this one, yeah I have stated before that I hate playing online for trophies ala dead Rising 2 when I needed one event for the platinum and it took me days to eventually win said event, it’s the grinding out that annoys me the most.

It gets past the enjoyment stage when you have to grind it out. But in the same sentence it was awesome seeing the Plat eventually pop.

It was the same for Bioshock 2 I enjoyed the main game immensely and could easily play it again now even though I have Platinum’d it, but it got past the stage of enjoying the online experience as it was taking an eternity to level up that I just wanted to get the Plat done so I boosted it.

It’s not an obsessive thing with me but if I have done all the main game stuff then why not try and achieve the Platinum even if it requires online play, but as I state if I have to grind it out for days or weeks I would rather boost as I would not want to spend all my time on one game.

I think if people want to play multiplayer online that they will regardless of the trophy’s as said with Modern Warfare and Borderlands.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

MissSouthampton

• Beta Tester
96%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MissSouthampton
Accepted Solution

Yes! @Ytevo. If I had more time and less of a life (if possible) I would attempt to 100% everything. Just for my own personal benefit. No matter how crappy the game is but I probably would find this impossible. I don't have the committment for AMY so maybe I am losing it ha ha ha! :D

Ya know what I really enjoyed Bioshock 2 online and did it within about 24 hours but if you didn't I guess it would be a right slog. 

/16

CJ101

92%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CJ101
Accepted Solution

MissSouthampton wrote:

Yes! @Ytevo. If I had more time and less of a life (if possible) I would attempt to 100% everything. Just for my own personal benefit. No matter how crappy the game is but I probably would find this impossible. I don't have the committment for AMY so maybe I am losing it ha ha ha! :D

Ya know what I really enjoyed Bioshock 2 online and did it within about 24 hours but if you didn't I guess it would be a right slog. 

I used to hate online trophies  but I don't worry so much about them now.  For example if you were to check my trophies you would see that on Far Cry 2 & Killzone 2 I have achieved all of the single player trophies.  Online I haven't touched & I'm completely comfortable leaving it that way.  I just think that if anyone has a gander they can easily figure that I'm not a keen online gamer so it's nice that it says something about me.

A few I did enjoy getting the platinum for was Resistance 2, Wipeout and as mentioned in the quote above Bioshock 2.  However the R2 10,000 kills trophy was too much really and was beyond sensible.  Wipeouts bling brigade had nothing to do with skill & was nigh on impossible to achieve without help from this forum.

As mentioned by MissSouthampton Bioshock 2 had a great online mode.  No silly trophies, required just about the right amount of time to reach the required levels (probably around 20hrs) & had many options on how to go about doing this.  It wasn't all combat related so it's achievable for all.

[ Edited ]
/16

gothicsyn

82%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gothicsyn
Accepted Solution

Maybe they could release a patch before they turn the servers off that would, delete or disable the need for the online trophies? Making game plats possible even without the obsolete online trophies?

0 Kudos

Nothing worse than climbing the ladder of success only to realise its against the wrong wall.
/16

Nakatomi_Uk

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Nakatomi_Uk
Accepted Solution

Yes in a way because some people who buy games at a later date wont have the chance to get them for example FIFA games EA drop the servers after 1-2 years is it some people and a small some maybe buy the older game first and find out you cant earn the plat because there's no online.

Online trophies for games from companies who drop online modes shouldn't have online trophies altogether, the worst trophies ever to come from online ones have to be the likes of Resistance 2 and Battlefield Bad Company with it's 10,000 kills and for public matches only its stupid that I cant get them in custom matches where I set up my own spec games settings and allow people to come into be it friend or people I've never met.

Assassins Creed Brotherhood is another game that can be annoying due to the level trophies FarCry 2 is far thee worst ever game for online because max XP per match is 1,500xp and you need 1.4 million for max level.

So yes trophies that require a grind defo shouldnt be allowed online trophies should be ones where boosting isnt required and you can just earn them easily but just over time.

Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Nakatomi_Uk wrote:

So yes trophies that require a grind defo shouldnt be allowed online trophies should be ones where boosting isnt required and you can just earn them easily but just over time.

Grind isn't restricted to online though (think collectible trophies for example). And what is the defining line between "grind" and "easily but just over time". They are largely the same thing, with the only difference being how fun the journey is. And that is not something that is easy to quantify in a rules and guidelines document for trophy development.

Plus, it's very easy in retrospect to say which trophies are good and which are bad, but developers don't have the luxury of hindsight when they submit trophy requirements (unless maybe they've had an extended open public beta with fixed values).

I agree with what you're saying, but it's very easy to say and not quite so simple to put into practise.

/16

nlindz27

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
nlindz27
Accepted Solution

I say scrap them I see trophies/achievements as something to extend a games campaign/story mode online achievements are pointless imo.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

StuR328

• Beta Tester
98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
StuR328
Accepted Solution
I say keep them I see trophies/achievements as something to extend a games online mode campaign/story mode achievements are pointless imo.

|¬_¬|™
/16
79%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
disturbedheretic
Accepted Solution

i agree, i hate online trophys so much, co-op trophys are ok, espicialy if it can be done in split screen cos my internet cant handle online gaming all the time, on occasions i works ok but not all the time

assassins creed brotherhood and revelations really annoy me tho, up untill them i complete every assassins creed games 100% with all the flags ect in AC1 and plat in AC2 but cos i waited to buy brotherhood, the servers are empty, revelations isnt as bad as there isnt as much trophys and they dont look too difficult (not given them a try yet)

bad company 2 by far tho has been the most annoying, knife 5 friends, what the hell is that, its near impossible to get without boosting, unless your basicly friends with everyone who plays bc2, plus aswell the servers are almost always empty or full of hardcore bf players who dont give a crap about helping you out with trophys

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

disturbedheretic wrote:

bad company 2 by far tho has been the most annoying, knife 5 friends, what the hell is that, its near impossible to get without boosting, unless your basicly friends with everyone who plays bc2, plus aswell the servers are almost always empty or full of hardcore bf players who dont give a crap about helping you out with trophys

LOL it's totally true, but to be fair, expecting to get online trophies a long time after release is asking a bit much ;)

0 Kudos

/16

Strangesam

98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Strangesam
Accepted Solution

Some online trophies for some games really are irritating to get, just as there are no people online or just a lack of people.

Personally, myself i'm just happy with offline trophies only, but its not up to me.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

/16

jimmy20

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jimmy20
Accepted Solution
Some games have trophies like kill x number of people (obtainable from single player and multiplayer playthroughs) so if multiplayer was your 'thing' you could get a bulk of them there, however if you prefered the single player campaign, or the servers were closed down, this trophy was still collectable for the majority of people.
0 Kudos

"They say... hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness searching for their destiny. The darkness, for me, is where I shine."
/16

KarlG

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KarlG
Accepted Solution
Keep them but add them to a separate list, like how the DLC is done. Also make it so you can get the platinum without them.
0 Kudos

/16

Kogia_breviceps

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kogia_breviceps
Accepted Solution

Keep them in and as they are. If you for some reason feel that you get kudos and respect because you can say that you got platinum in a game then you should have played all parts of it. Earn your reward, if you like.

I've got several games I loved the single player and played all parts of it, but knew I wouldn't bother with the online parts, no big deal, I didn't play it as much or extensively as someone else who did go mp so I don't get platinum, no shame for me.If it's a game I really want platinum in it's because I really love the game, so I want to play multiplayer because it extends my game time.

Multiplayer is a part of a game, I find some of the 'go collect 100 of this item' trophies tiresome, should I ask for them to be removed too, just so I can get the platinum I want easier and my way?

Getting platinum in a game means you played that game a hell of a lot, nothing more, nothing less.

/16

cnx2022

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
cnx2022
Accepted Solution

Truth be told, yes. Or at least the player NOT be forced to play to Max Rank. (War for Cybertron, Red dead, etc). The offline trophies are truly hard enough. To force the player to play online is not fair. Why do I say that? Well, consider this: would it be fair to obligate players that only want to play the online aspect of a game-because there  are TONS of players that do that Bf3, MW3, Black Ops etc..-that in order to rank to Max level, or to pimp up weapons to the max, that they'd have to go to campaign and get 100% completion of it?

Well, why do that to the "campaigners"? We need to understand that there are completionist fanatics of campaigns, and online war-machine addicts.  2 sides here.  I believe that if a game's online feature is well done, there will be NO need to obligate players to play it.  there are games out there that with no online, require TONS of hours to complete. Red dead was a game I wanted to plat, but truly hated its online. And that is a mistake i will NOT make again. I did it with Bioshock 2 and Brotherhood.  two friggin' online games that i really hated. stuck through with it JUSt for the plat. Now, i avoid games that "force" you to do that.

Now, another very important aspect to this conversation is: that online features are FAR, but FAR from perfect. there are currently: bad nat types, server glitches, P2P host-ending problematics, and above all LAG. this presents a huge problem.  Check this out:

In my aquisition of co-op trophies for BF3, communication was essential. it turns out (as many of you know) that you need to kill A LOT of baddies at the SAME time.. Because of Lag, our communication was 1.58 seconds apart. So, when I would count to 3 (to shoot the baddie) we would end up messing up the mission. it turns out my partner learned that he would have to shoot when i said "two" in order to be on par with me. Now,I have done this co-op Twice already. Once to get the trophies with a friend, and another to simply help another friend. And Both it happened.

Many players out there (that SWEAR are SO good) fail to recoginse that due to connection problems that MANY people have, they end up beating. But few fail to recoginse that a lot of the people they beat are simply having MAJOR LAG problems. When you go on to record the same games with buddies, and you watch the 2 vids SIDE by SIDE, you-like me- will be VERY dismotivated to continue playing online features.

Until Devs can perftect this (virtually impossible), online should NOT be obligational.

/16

cnx2022

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
cnx2022
Accepted Solution
Keep them in and as they are. If you for some reason feel that you get kudos and respect because you can say that you got platinum in a game then you should have played all parts of it. Earn your reward, if you like.

<Really, some of us do not do it for Kudos and respect. In fact, I do not share my new plat aquisitions with even my friends because the ones that are not "platters" do no even care about plats. So it's not Kudos. Its simply the fun in getting them.<

I've got several games I loved the single player and played all parts of it, but knew I wouldn't bother with the online parts, no big deal, I didn't play it as much or extensively as someone else who did go mp so I don't get platinum, no shame for me.If

<Some of my friends, whom happen to have 50+ plats, would not agree with you. In fact, no matter how much fun, if they know they do not like the MP component of a game, the dont even touch it. They only go for 100% completion. Otherwise, they go on to the next. So really, that is simply a very personal opinion of yours (which I very much respect of course!).>

it's a game I really want platinum in it's because I really love the game, so I want to play multiplayer because it extends my game time.

< again, a very personal opinion. I personally do not touch games whom will force me to play its MP. Some of us can REALLY come to love a game, but for technical difficulties that many MP's come with, can be a really bad experience for others.

Multiplayer is a part of a game, I find some of the 'go collect 100 of this item' trophies tiresome, should I ask for them to be removed too, just so I can get the platinum I want easier and my way?

< No you should not ask that. MP should be for the online "competitors". campaign should be for the "collector" lovers. Its not about getting the plat "your way". I'll put it to you this way: People that ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY buy a game for its online component, that care less for a plat, would it be fair to obligate them to get 100% in campaign in order to fully upgrade and unlocks their favorite weapons? The answer is obviously No, it's not fair.

Getting platinum in a game means you played that game a hell of a lot, nothing more, nothing less

True, but many of us already played the "hell out of a game" in campaign. Does this mean I must also put up with the frustation of getting slaughtered by those who happen to have better Internet speeds and better Host connections?

Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

I have no problem with online trophies, but for any game where they are tacked on, they should really be patched in after release or DLC... like with Uncharted 2... I'm not really a tro-ho, but I would have been livid if trophies stood in the way of me platting Uncharted 2 and 3..

0 Kudos

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
/16

nx13

99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
nx13
Accepted Solution
I would say yes for the initial platinum, but no to extra DLC.

I have a friend who doesn't have internet, but loves trophies, and he feels cheated out a few due to his lack of internet.
0 Kudos

/16

cnx2022

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
cnx2022
Accepted Solution

InfiniteStates wrote:

disturbedheretic wrote:

LOL it's totally true, but to be fair, expecting to get online trophies a long time after release is asking a bit much ;)

Why do I see so many players stating this kind of idea? So, its not bad fore-seeing in behalf of the Devs for those issues that arise?

So, if someone gets an online game 4 years from release date, its that person's fault and NOT the Devs?

A bit selfish if you ask me. So since you seem to be able to buy games on release date, why assume that everyone else can or should? There is a whole community of gamers here. If there are people out there that are saying they have bad internet connections, that is enough for me to vote in their favor to help my fellow man out, not an opportunity to bash and stomp those that cant enjoy the priviliges I can.

Just my opinion, though. I hope I am not offending you here.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

StuR328

• Beta Tester
98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
StuR328
Accepted Solution
who, if serious about trophies, would buy a game that has unobtainable online trophies 4 years after the games release?

|¬_¬|™
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel