80%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

New Zealand PlayTV Thread...Bugs and comments here please

104 Replies 7,669 Views Created 18-11-2009

Just thought we would start a New Zealand PlayTV thread. Could everyone please report there thoughts, comments and bugs here.

Things I have found:

- When exporting from PlayTV Library to the XMB AAC/AAC+ audio is lost ( I see PS3 firmware update 3.10 will be out soon hopefully this issue may be resolved)

- EPG not fully functional and the TVNZ mux has no time slots beyond 3 events ahead

- No subtitles

- Channel order incorrect (is in order of mux not physical channel)

- No telex??

- Ratings not working

- Audio on TV2 only is not in perfect sync

- On some TV's screen size/aspect ratio not 100% (this is not happening on all TV's

- Can not change audio on TV3 is defaulted to AC3, can not select AAC/AAC+

- Can not alter volume on individual channels, the PlayTV volume affects all channels at the same time

0 Kudos
LABELS:
Photobucket
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

snaffta

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
snaffta
Accepted Solution

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORAHHHHHHHHH.

0 Kudos

Re: New Zealand PlayTV Thread...Bugs and comments here please

/16

BuckoNZ

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BuckoNZ
Accepted Solution

Hi All,

Thought I would jump on the forum and say HELLO to my fellow New Zealand brethren who have been waiting for the official release of 'PlayTV' in New Zealand for far too long.

I personally won't be purchasing it... frankly I have moved on.  However it's great to see that this product will finally make it'a way onto our shelves before Christmas.

Cheers,

BuckoNZ

0 Kudos

/16

sektanz

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sektanz
Accepted Solution

I agree Bucko. Way, way too late, but at least it's officially here. Looks like importing is still the way to go looking at the Mighty Ape price.

I personally went the MySky HDi route a couple of months back and don't regret it at all.

0 Kudos

/16

BuckoNZ

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BuckoNZ
Accepted Solution
Sektanz,

Yep, same here. Made my way to 'MySkyHDi' as well a year or so ago and no complaints here. Plus with 'iSky' on the way, it wouldn't surprise me - once the service/solution has matured - if they allow you to access content (i.e. recorded shows) from your MySky box, remotely!

Cheers,
BuckoNZ
0 Kudos

/16

astrae555

43%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
astrae555
Accepted Solution

The update is up! NZ is now a location in the setup. The channels have also resorted.

but..... The 7 day epg is not part of the free update....

0 Kudos

/16

snaffta

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
snaffta
Accepted Solution

Only thing accomplished here was a reordering of the channel listings. 

No other bugs addressed.  (AT ALL) 88Mb download for that?

:xCry:   "I am dissapoint" needless to say. 

0 Kudos

/16

BeachMonkeyNZ

44%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BeachMonkeyNZ
Accepted Solution

I've downloaded the software update and purchased the 'premium' service from the PS store.

I have to say that it's a bit of a rip at $15.50 for essentially the improved EPG content, which should be provided for a PVR of this calibre. Who wants / needs the social add on's for TV watching anyway?

I'm very disappointed the limited Mediaworks EPG content but hopefully this will be resolved in the near future.

As for bugs etc.....

The 1 minute skip function has been removed if NZ is selected for your region. GRRRRRR!

This really *#*%A$ me off as this was a very useful feature to quickly skim through adverts etc. The skip function is now at 10 minute intervals so to get through adverts, or navigate your recordings, you must fast forward at up to 120X unless you want to jump 10 minutes at a time.

I understand that this probably is part of complying with Freeview standards but why do we have to 'dumb down' the gear to the lowest common denominator?

While this technically isn't a bug, it is an annoying removal.

You can of course retain the 1 minute skip function by selecting your region as "Other" but this means you then cannot access the extended EPG data, even if you have paid for it. It's one or the other only. Again, GRRRRRR!

As for Bugs:

When watching 'The Event' last night my Live TV would not display any picture on any channel but would let me watch what I was recording if I went and viewed through the library. So, I started recording The Event and watched the recording 'live'.

Strange bug and I have not had this happen beofre the latest update.

This morning all appears to be working again.

Also, a couple of times now when I have recorded something the library shows a large number of titles of that recording but with no viewable content on them. There is usually 1 file at the top which can be viewed but then there are a large number of useless duplicate titles that need to be deleted.

Again, have not seen this bug before the software patch.

On a positve note, the scheduled recordings function appears to have been improved so that if two recordings on different channels overlap then the 1st scheduled recording doesn't get deleted completely but is truncated to fit. I only saw this briefly yesterday so not 100% on the detials yet.

So, some improvements but at a $ cost. Let's hope Sony isn't testing the waters for chargeable firmware updates in general.

Just think - you might end up paying for the next Blu Ray improvements or a 'premium' web browser that can actually play flash content properly......

0 Kudos

/16

wilt64

80%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
wilt64
Accepted Solution

BeachMonkeyNZ wrote:

I've downloaded the software update and purchased the 'premium' service from the PS store.

I have to say that it's a bit of a rip at $15.50 for essentially the improved EPG content, which should be provided for a PVR of this calibre. Who wants / needs the social add on's for TV watching anyway?

The NZ release comes with a voucher that lets you download the full version at no cost. The $15.50 cost only applies to the "grey imports" To be honest the $15.50 cost to get full EPG does not worry me.....that was a gamble I took importing PlayTV in the first place. We still got it cheaper even with the update costs not only that we have had a good 1yr+ use.

I'm very disappointed the limited Mediaworks EPG content but hopefully this will be resolved in the near future.

Yes 100% agree I think MediaWorks will see the light but not sure about Prime.....remember they soured up with TiVo as well!!

As for bugs etc.....

The 1 minute skip function has been removed if NZ is selected for your region. GRRRRRR!

This really *#*%A$ me off as this was a very useful feature to quickly skim through adverts etc. The skip function is now at 10 minute intervals so to get through adverts, or navigate your recordings, you must fast forward at up to 120X unless you want to jump 10 minutes at a time.

I understand that this probably is part of complying with Freeview standards but why do we have to 'dumb down' the gear to the lowest common denominator?

That had to be done to meet Freeview specifications not SCEE's fault.

You can of course retain the 1 minute skip function by selecting your region as "Other" but this means you then cannot access the extended EPG data, even if you have paid for it. It's one or the other only. Again, GRRRRRR!

As for Bugs:

When watching 'The Event' last night my Live TV would not display any picture on any channel but would let me watch what I was recording if I went and viewed through the library. So, I started recording The Event and watched the recording 'live'.

Have not come across this...

Also, a couple of times now when I have recorded something the library shows a large number of titles of that recording but with no viewable content on them. There is usually 1 file at the top which can be viewed but then there are a large number of useless duplicate titles that need to be deleted.

Yes a common complaint since the update, I am sure SCEE are addressing this... 

On a positve note, the scheduled recordings function appears to have been improved so that if two recordings on different channels overlap then the 1st scheduled recording doesn't get deleted completely but is truncated to fit. I only saw this briefly yesterday so not 100% on the detials yet.

So, some improvements but at a $ cost. Let's hope Sony isn't testing the waters for chargeable firmware updates in general.

Just think - you might end up paying for the next Blu Ray improvements or a 'premium' web browser that can actually play flash content properly......

0 Kudos

Photobucket
Beta Tester
/16

chriswhv6

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
chriswhv6
Accepted Solution

BeachMonkeyNZ wrote:

As for bugs etc.....

As for Bugs:

Im from Aus and i did the update on 1 of my PS3's and its creating now the exact same errors u are having.

i get a bunch of recodrings all blank in the library now..

setting it to record more early/later causes errors to teh recordings plus it turns on 10 mins earlier than its suppose too..

man this sucks big time..i so hope they fix this stuff up fast...

what i cant understand is..didnt they test the update on there own units before releasing it to the public.

0 Kudos

/16

astrae555

43%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
astrae555
Accepted Solution

I'm getting annoyed now...

I have the full paid update.  Everything was all good.

Now I have no 7 day EPG for: TV3, C4, C42 TV3 Plus 1 & Prime......

If I go into the channel mappings they are showing as "No Selection".  Have done a full setup again, Chose nz, channel scan, Channel mappings for EPG & these channels aren't in the list..

Whats going Sony?

Can anyone else with the full update comment?

0 Kudos

/16

astrae555

43%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
astrae555
Accepted Solution

Re my post above. Have just read another thread which states no epg from media works and prime..

but..

I did have a full epg for mediaworks when I first installed as I did a search for GT Academy on C4 and booked it well in advance...

not happy...

0 Kudos

/16

Alyndri

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Alyndri
Accepted Solution

about the 'no selection' for tv3, prime, tv4 etc... this was working for me last week, and after having to get a new playstation (old one broke) the channel mappings are no longer working for these channels!!

0 Kudos

/16
42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
laminated-teabag
Accepted Solution

I had play tv for about a month and it would work on and off during that time. It's not worth the headacks, I  finally gave in and got myfreeview instead, it costs more but at least it works.

0 Kudos

/16

A_ntix_

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
A_ntix_
Accepted Solution

I got a new aerial installed as when it rained, I lost reception of the TVNZ shows on Playtv. Old aerial wasnt that good, so out it went new UHF Aerial installed.

PlayTV reception for TVNZ shows has become even worse now. Bought a cheap Freeview decoder, perfect picture. Cost loads less than the PS3/Playtv combo.

Aerial tech said that the problem is that the Playtv is picking up its signal from the wrong place, and I should tune it manually. Cant seem to do this at all. TVNZ channels are still completely unwatchable on Playtv, but perfect picture on cheap as box.

Next update, can we set it so we can manually tune the channels please.....

0 Kudos

/16

redfiat

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
redfiat
Accepted Solution
Bought the update and I now cannot press sideways buttons to see what is next, nothing happens.
Also I get no peg for tv3, etc

Not happy

Also I've had to turn off background recording to stop the pixelation and jittering
0 Kudos

/16

KIiwiH2O_Boy

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KIiwiH2O_Boy
Accepted Solution

Greetings all,

I bought a Play TV awhile ago, and just tried to install it last night. I also have a Freeview digital (but not HD) decoder.

I opened the pack yesterday and followed the installation instructions (inserted the disk, proceeded through the steps etc.). The PS3 prompted me to update the Play TV software, so I did. The problem arises in Step 7 of the setup, where the PS3 (or Play TV) is unable to find any channels. I think the error message says "unable to find channels on this frequency".

My setup is as follows:

- Sky TV dish into satellite input into freeview digital decoder (as opposed to the RF input)

- Freeview digital decoder to TV via a composite output (Video, Left Audio and Right Audio)

- RF out into Play TV

I have also tried:

- Sky TV dish into satellite input into freeview digital decoder (as opposed to the RF input)

- Freeview digital decoder to TV via a composite output (Video, Left Audio and Right Audio)

- Satellite out into Play TV (as opposed to RF out)

I still haven't been able to find any channels. Do I have to split the signal from my antenna, one into my Play TV and one into my freeview decoder? Is there any way to connect an output from my freeview decoder to my PS3?  My ideal set up would have me able to watch TV (via my freeview decoder) directly on the TV without having to watch through the PS3.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Play TV can't find channels

/16

redfiat

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
redfiat
Accepted Solution

Hi

PlayTV is not satellite based, you need a UHF aerial on your roof for it to pick up the terrestial signals.

You should be using the RF cable from you aerial straight into the playtv box.

hth

1 Kudo

Re: Play TV can't find channels

/16

stupidbunnysuit

88%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stupidbunnysuit
Accepted Solution

Hi,

As redfiat has mentioned, you'll need a terrestrial UHF outlet -> the PlayTV unit will only work in conjunction with the PS3.

You need to have it connected: Wall -> PlayTV -> PS3.

Also, make sure you're choosing Australia / NZ as the country (as appropriate)

In the country selection, you need to browse left from the UK option to find Australia, FYI.

-sbs

0 Kudos

Re: Play TV can't find channels

/16

maryhnz

34%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
maryhnz
Accepted Solution

Hi,

We have recently bought a PS3 and Play TV in New Zealand.  We have a freeview digital tv (Panasonic Viera), which has always picked up all the channels really well.  For some reason we cannot get TV1 or TV2 on the play tv.  I have tried deleting all data (not that there is any), new user name, all sorts.  Sometimes the two channels have are assigned a channel, but it doesn't work at all - can vaguely make out shapes for about 20 seconds, and then goes to blurred colours and nothing more, no sound.  Other times I've reset it all, and there isn't even a space for TV1 or TV2.  All the other channels are functioning really well.

I'm in Christchurch, so not in a rural area and can't understand this.  I have spent hours trying to sort it out.  The Play TV helpline should have been called the No Help line - I don't think I've ever had a more ineffective person on the other end.

I have a surge protector - so my aerial goes from wall - surge protecter, and then out of surge protector to play tv.  Is this the correct set up?

Any help much appreciated.  I have phoned round a few tv installation people and they've got no idea why i should have a weak signal, and in fact can't help.  What seemed a great idea has been a complete waste of money, not being used at all as without the two main channels we watch. 

0 Kudos

/16

wilt64

80%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
wilt64
Accepted Solution

It has been well over a year now and I would have thought the dispute between SCEE MediaWorks and Prime would have been sorted by now. It is a shame the EPG is limited due to this. I would have thought SCEE would have been “on the case” with this using the “community favourites” function on PlayTV as a positive feature to the networks, community favourites is an awesome real time “people meter” which would benefit the networks.

So I have started a pole and in a couple of weeks will be sending it to SCEE NZ MediaWorks and Prime....so start voting people!!!

http://www.doodle.com/dmx3kgztwfnp3pts

0 Kudos

PlayTV New Zealand lack of EPG for MediaWorks and Prime pole

[ Edited ]
Photobucket
/16

BuckoNZ

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BuckoNZ
Accepted Solution

I was hot on the PlayTV topic several years ago but gave up waiting for it to happen and went with MySky instead.

However, I have family friend who has a PS3 and can now get FreeviewHD in their area. They were looking into the PlayTV as an option. Now these people aren't the most "tech savvie" and are some way away from myself to support them.  Looking at this thread, it's clear there are still a number of issues - that it's a long way from simple "plug and play". Therefore, I think we may look at another option for them.

Cheers,

BuckoNZ

0 Kudos

Re: PlayTV New Zealand lack of EPG for MediaWorks and Prime pole

[ Edited ]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel