Progress
Accepted Solution

[SUGGESTION] Let's talk about flight...

[ Edited ]
76 Replies 569 Views edited 22-11-2011
22 Nov 2011
By MusterBuster

Hey LBI and Beta Trialists!

I'd like to talk a bit about flight. I've made this post as simple as possible for easy developer consumption.

Here's my feedback about flight:

• Flying is too basic, there's very little to master. Make the current "Advanced Flight" mode the default and add a Pro-Flight mode which all players should aspire to (and are encouraged to aspire to by the game).
  • Dodging missiles is too easy, I don't panic when locked like I did in Warhawk, there's no rush. Remove the ability to dodge and make players perform their own evasive maneuovers
  • I don't have enough control over my speed. I can slow down, but I can't speed up without using the afterburners which destroy my agility. Add an additional speed and bring back double-tap for afterburners.
  • I really miss the ability to insert a team mate into the heat of the battle by transporting them in a hawk. Allow passengers to get into Hawks and give them something to do (like spotting targets) whilst there.

A short disclaimer: I understand the need to make games accessible. However wih Starhawk, after a couple of flights I have nothing further to learn and no skills to hone. I've mastered it, there's nothing more to accomplish and nothing to brag about. I don't feel special any more.

My supporting argument would be: Look at the positive sentiment that Dark Souls has achieved. It gives the player enough controls to get by, but the game requires that they master the advanced controls in order to become successful in the late game (or, more relevantly, when playing against the tougher players).

Discuss!

MB

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

MusterBuster

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
MusterBuster
Accepted Solution

I just want to say thanks.

I tried the latest patch the other night and I'm completely hooked again! Most of the feedback given seems to have been taken on board. Double tap afterburner and 3 default speeds, as well as more maneuvorability when using the afterburner.

Now really, really excited to see this game released!

Thanks LBI :)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: [SUGGESTION] Let's talk about flight...

[ Edited ]

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

morgothemighty

• Beta Tester
96%
03 Rank
Progress
morgothemighty
Accepted Solution
Well, I have to say I am very disappointed by the flight mechanics

I'm not going to touch on the dodge mechanics as that is a ***** idea from the off.

I've only had a very brief amount of time flying but have come away unhappy - the controls just don't seem as intuitive as warhawk. Every time I have been left disorientated and have found it difficult to actually fly straight towards my target

The hawk seems to not be sat central in the screen and any kind of acrobatics just leave me clueless as to where I am

I'll give it more time, but I'm not impressed so far

One other thing - choosing weapons seems a bit of a chore also. not sure if by tapping the d pad I have selected or not - why give the choice to tap or hold (to see the options) - just let me tap and show me what I have picked

YOUR FACE!
JUST PLAY IT!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

shika1983

97%
07 Rank
Progress
shika1983
Accepted Solution

morgothemighty wrote:

I'm not going to touch on the dodge mechanics as that is a ***** idea from the off.
---------
One other thing - choosing weapons seems a bit of a chore also. not sure if by tapping the d pad I have selected or not - why give the choice to tap or hold (to see the options) - just let me tap and show me what I have picked

Both these points for me.

I know they aren't trying to make a clone of WH but if something isn't broke then why fix it?

The only problem I had with WH was the A2Ging of troops when they had no weapons

Shika1983

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CinkCobra

98%
03 Rank
Progress
CinkCobra
Accepted Solution
There trying to make starhawk too user friendly and honestly it ain't working. Its quite clear that everyone has the same issues/complaints, I hate to say it, but if they don't fix these asap I dont see this game succeeding.
0 Kudos

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

morgothemighty

• Beta Tester
96%
03 Rank
Progress
morgothemighty
Accepted Solution
for such a key part or selling point of the game to be overhauled in such a way to ruin it from the smooth and excellent experience it was seems ludicrous

I'm not bothered that this isn't warhawk - for me many things are vast improvements over an excellent gaming formula, but what they have done to the flight is just wrong wrong wrong

@shika; I hear ya - removing hover has gone some way to removing the blight that was a2g'ing - so long as the balance is there between mechs and infantry scrapes then it's all good

YOUR FACE!
JUST PLAY IT!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

caul606

80%
02 Rank
Progress
caul606
Accepted Solution

Exactly. Warhawk players will not enjoy this game if the flight stays how it is.

They need to go back to warhawk flight... End of.

THis game will fail with these mechanics.

<3 Caul

GodsIllest

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

alisound

96%
02 Rank
Progress
alisound
Accepted Solution

MusterBuster wrote:

I'd like to talk a bit about flight. I've made this post as simple as possible for easy developer consumption.

• Flying is too basic, there's very little to master. Make the current "Advanced Flight" mode the default and add a Pro-Flight mode which all players should aspire to (and are encouraged to aspire to by the game).
  • Dodging missiles is too easy, I don't panic when locked like I did in Warhawk, there's no rush. Remove the ability to dodge and make players perform their own evasive maneuovers
  • I don't have enough control over my speed. I can slow down, but I can't speed up without using the afterburners which destroy my agility. Add an additional speed and bring back double-tap for afterburners.
  • I really miss the ability to insert a team mate into the heat of the battle by transporting them in a hawk. Allow passengers to get into Hawks and give them something to do (like spotting targets) whilst there.

A short disclaimer: I understand the need to make games accessible. However wih Starhawk, after a couple of flights I have nothing further to learn and no skills to hone. I've mastered it, there's nothing more to accomplish and nothing to brag about. I don't feel special any more.

My supporting argument would be: Look at the positive sentiment that Dark Souls has achieved. It gives the player enough controls to get by, but the game requires that they master the advanced controls in order to become successful in the late game (or, more relevantly, when playing against the tougher players).

Discuss!

MB

Completely agree with you MusterBuster. The flight mechanics of warhawk are still the best in any arcade flight game.. I was pro flight all the way but when trying it in this game felt instantly disapointed with it.

if it doesnt get better (like warhawk better) i feel i will not by this game. with out having something to spend hundreds of hours mastering (or trying too) i will lose interest quickly. Common Dylan, hear your fans and sort it out.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jifri_cdq

92%
02 Rank
Progress
jifri_cdq
Accepted Solution

forgiveness if that is not in place, if so I hope that some moderator put it in the appropriate site, thanks
hello friends, and played warhawk for 3 years, I am part of a clan with over 200 players WH is an incredible game.
These days been testing the beta of Starhawk, the truth is that the game is good but the controls of the aircraft in air combat leave much to be desired, control plane warhawk depended entirely on the player, learn to dodge, throw missiles and so on. .. and that's what people liked and what to WH be different to others.
Starhawk The CPU controls in these movements, fighting emotion and do not stain the game a little pleased to warhawk players.
I would like to propose that controls the plane normal mode were equal to warhawk, since in this section is where warhawk pulled their full potential.
I hope to assist as many players say that in this section is where Starhawk lose quality and lose popularity.

and change the button to access the various parts of the razorback, I'd put in the square as in WH

greetings and hope to see changes in that aspect

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PRO-ACE

92%
02 Rank
Progress
PRO-ACE
Accepted Solution
I got the code on the 5th of December so maybe things have changed since the the first batch of codes went out. I think the flgiht mechanics are great once you change the flight settings to pro flight. I agree with earlier comments that tapping a direction once should select the weapon you want to use as this seams quite slow and if everyone really wants to hold R" to accelerate fine, but it really doesn't take more than the first few times your boost runs out for you to realise ok let go to accelerate.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

NivNov

99%
03 Rank
Progress
NivNov
Accepted Solution

MusterBuster wrote:

Discuss!

MB

KUDOS to you Muster... I agree 99.9% Just add Arcade flight ..

I think they should of left the way the flight controls where in WH with a few miner tweaks like the backwards flying and the stupid spinning locks in NF, from what I have seen and heard Pro flight was fine.

They need to remove the missile scrubbing and let players wiggle wiggle dodge.

If LB where to bring back original Pro they would have to bring back NF as well, the Skill levels would be so unbalanced, you would have all the NF pilots who have put in hundreds of hours having to learn PRO flight and the original PRO Pilots with hundreds of hours just taking to the stars and causing mayhem..

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

JoshBall

83%
03 Rank
Progress
JoshBall
Accepted Solution

MusterBuster wrote:

Discuss!

MB

Agree to all these points, I personally think the Warhawk style flying should be default, along with the double tap afterburners, R2 as a standard boost etc. Definitely need to be able to take a passenger in the hawk aswell!

Did most people used to fly with or without Sixaxis? It's probably been disabled for the beta but I thought that was what made WH unique, being able to fly and drive everything with sixaxis, it made flying more difficult but more fun and harder to master, what are all your thoughts on bringing it in as default?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

MusterBuster

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
MusterBuster
Accepted Solution

I just want to say thanks.

I tried the latest patch the other night and I'm completely hooked again! Most of the feedback given seems to have been taken on board. Double tap afterburner and 3 default speeds, as well as more maneuvorability when using the afterburner.

Now really, really excited to see this game released!

Thanks LBI :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hogezz

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Hogezz
Accepted Solution
Yea, that last update was proper!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

tylerswimNW500

53%
02 Rank
Progress
tylerswimNW500
Accepted Solution
I agree with everything you said. What it's at now isn't bad, but seeing how they enjoy improving their games this is something they can improve
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Green_Man_

33%
02 Rank
Progress
Green_Man_
Accepted Solution

Obviously the hawks should have an option to steer with SIXAXIS cotrols. Dogfights would be way more fun and turning sharply 180' would be easier to initiate & control. Anyone who has played "FL@WER" knows that flying with sixaxis has tiny learnig curve, but then flying becomes much more intuitive.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel