02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Starhawk Beta - Build & Battle Feedback

[ Edited ]
280 Replies 1,436 Views edited 15-11-2011

"Build & Battle?" I hear you say, well if you have not yet checked it out, it is worth doing so. Of course with this impressive tool which makes every match different, there may be some areas for improvement. So this is the perfect place to let the developers know.

The Starhawk developers will be actively monitoring these official feedback threads, although as they are very busy please do not expect a reply to every post/query.

To help the Starhawk developers look into the issue, it would be helpful to include the below information in your posts within this thread:

----------------------------------------------------------

Brief Description of the issue: (i.e "I get trapped underneath the Sniper Tower")

Map which the issue occurred on:

Where on the map was the object being placed?: (Try to describe as best as possible)

Frequency: (i.e has the issue happened just once, can you repeat it, etc):

Steps to reproduce the issue (if possible):

Any suggestions to improve the issue?: 

----------------------------------------------------------

If you are not reporting an issue, but would like to suggest something to the developers, please put [SUGGESTION] at the top of your post.  This will help the developers to filter out the bugs vs suggestions within this thread.

Thanks for your feedback :Thumbs:

- LiquidRunner

LABELS:
------------------------------------------------
LiquidRunner (or just 'Liquid')
Ex-PlayStation Beta Manager

Don't worry, β Happy

Click here to track my posts
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

MusterBuster

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MusterBuster
Accepted Solution

Hey LBI:

• As noted in one of your dev diaries, there's a risk that players will all build the same buildings motivated by their selfishness

• However, it's far cheaper and more efficient for the team to only have one type of each construction building in each base.

• To combat building spamming, could you add a counter which charts the number of buildings of a specific type that have already been deployed by that team.

• This could be as simple as number in the corner of each icon in the Build and Battle menu.

• If you wanted to go further, you could also add an icon to each building on the radar, so that the team can easily identify where they need to go to pick up a discount Hawk.

Cheers!

[SUGGESTION] Building counter

/16

Commandofin

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Commandofin
Accepted Solution

MusterBuster wrote:

Hey LBI:

• As noted in one of your dev diaries, there's a risk that players will all build the same buildings motivated by their selfishness
  • Showing the number of said buildings already deployed on the battlefield will help players to determine do you need said building

• However, it's far cheaper and more efficient for the team to only have one type of each construction building in each base.
  • Also players should be able to vote buildings to be destroyed when they go near the control panel or option pops up which issues start voting option. Players then can press Start button or Show Map button to access vote screen which will have the said building shown by map or by camera.
  • To combat building spamming, could you add a counter which charts the number of buildings of a specific type that have already been deployed by that team.

• This could be as simple as number in the corner of each icon in the Build and Battle menu.

• If you wanted to go further, you could also add an icon to each building on the radar, so that the team can easily identify where they need to go to pick up a discount Hawk.

Cheers!

0 Kudos

Re: [SUGGESTION] Building counter

/16

scapepicture

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
scapepicture
Accepted Solution

Brief Description of Issue: Resupply base is too powerful and promotoes camping to a certain extent.  It provides an unlimited amount of resupplies of rockets, which makes it very overpowered as it is also incredibly resistant as well. I find I can rack up 5-6 kills within minutes of building one of those things.

Maps: All

Placement: Near enemies base

How to improve: I think it would be a good idea to either make the weapon spawn time longer inside the base, only allow a certain number of weapon spawns or make the base weaker. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Photobucket
Beta Tester
/16

TalllPaul

• Beta Tester
97%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TalllPaul
Accepted Solution
With the lack of weapons around the maps the bunkers are pretty vital. Maybe having a no go zone for bunkers close to enemy spawn points could be the answer rather than nerfing them?

/16

sike1779

98%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sike1779
Accepted Solution

(SUGGESTION)

Maybe a certain perimeter around the main base, that can't be built in by the opposing team, to keep the base raping down...

/16

sike1779

98%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sike1779
Accepted Solution

I couldn't build anything, and even though i had plenty of rift all the items were blacked out and everytime i highlighted an item, a red number appeared in the middle of the dial.

This was on the Space map, only happened once.

There were alot of built items already so it could have been a limiter?

Beta Tester
/16

TalllPaul

• Beta Tester
97%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TalllPaul
Accepted Solution
The limiter shows in the build and select menu in the top right with 32 being the maximum.

/16

sike1779

98%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sike1779
Accepted Solution

aha, thankyou! 

/16

Kurby2008

87%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kurby2008
Accepted Solution

I've had an issue where I can't build anything (I had enough cores to build anything). It was on Acid Sea just right of the main base (where the rift barrel things spawn). After I killed someone, it let me build again.

Beta Tester
/16

TalllPaul

• Beta Tester
97%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TalllPaul
Accepted Solution
Had it reached the max amount of buildings permitted?

Also, I am pretty sure I was in a game with you tonight :P

/16

scapepicture

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
scapepicture
Accepted Solution
Two problems:
1) There needs to be warning that comes up on screen with a reason why you can't sometimes build and battle: Quite often, I am scrolling through the buildings with the d pad and they suddenly all go black and I am unable to choose any. No reason is given to me as to why i cannot build.

2) Some of the buildings are really hard to select on the d-pad( the ones on the diagonals). When I try and select one of them, it flick to the one on the left or right.
0 Kudos

Photobucket
Beta Tester
/16

TalllPaul

• Beta Tester
97%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TalllPaul
Accepted Solution
When you hold triangle in the top right there is a building counter, if it is 32 of 32 the buildings will grey out and you won't be able to select any.

/16

sike1779

98%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sike1779
Accepted Solution

scapepicture wrote:

2) Some of the buildings are really hard to select on the d-pad( the ones on the diagonals). When I try and select one of them, it flick to the one on the left or right.

use the analog stick

/16

Pentex

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pentex
Accepted Solution

I'll try to make this really fast, as i know i have a lot more i could talk about, but for now i'll just have a few minutes to write.

So... the main gripe i have is: the enemy being able to build on our main base. That ability makes for horrendous base rapes. I haven't even played that much yet and already have been on the end of some severe punishing. Some people have built turrets all around, so when you drop down you immediately get shot at, there was a bunker right at the entrance of our base, from where the enemy was firing heavy fire at us (shotgun mostly, it overpowers most other ground weapons sadly) and also, the pod beacons shouldn't be able to be built that much on top of our base.

So i think that perhaps the pod beacons shouldn't be able to be built if any of its circle area touches either the enemy base or other beacons' circles. Also, i don't know how Zones would work but i'm seeing the possibility of it being maps with pre-positioned pod beacons that you can go over to and concert into your own. There's 3(?) side to a pod beacon with screens that look like control panels but aren't active, so they could indeed be used for Zones. Would be interesting if in other modes, those same beacons could be dealt in two different ways. You could either destroy them or try to "convert" them for your team, with the added difficulty of it taking quite some time and the enemy team being alerted to it, for example, by it's green circle flashing and turning into red.

But now, the major thing i want to say about B&B is that there needs to be a limit per structure, not just the overall limit. There's walls all over the place and sometimes no room to build anything more. On the B&B wheel, you should see each building's limit and how many you have already built. Also perhaps, who knows if not a building limit per player too.

Say, each player can build 8 structures, that's already a lot. Also, the turrets should be independent and limited to 2 per player and if you build a 3rd, the first one blows up, so when on the B&B menu, you'd see 0 out of 2, 1 out of 2 or 2 out of 2 concerning just your own turrets. But as for the limit per structure i'd say that walls could for instance be limited to 12 or 16, bunkers to 4 or 6, just like most other buildings and finally the shield limited to 1 or 2. It would be a case of tinkering with it.

And finally, if we want Starhawk to be fast paced, the way we start games right now just is inadmissable. You start with almost no rift, people end up grounded most of the time, walls are built left and right, a Hawk alone is 3 slots and nobody takes to the skies because it costs too much, let alone the issues people are having with the flight system itself.

So i would be in favor of starting the game with 6 rift slots, enough for a launch pad. But you might be worried that everyone would build one so they could take to the skies?! Well, if you limite the number of each structure, only 4 or 6 people would be able to build pads and the others would have enough rift to buy their own hawk. Bunkers could be built straightaway to avoid the shortage of weapons, another huge problem and things would be sped up, making constructing a base much faster. In due time, what this could mean would be that people would prioritize what they wanted to build, making it more strategic, and most importantly, faster paced.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

bowes_foundation

• Beta Tester
92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bowes_foundation
Accepted Solution

Can you team switch in game? If so can you destroy the buildings of the team you switched to? Serious flaw if so

Photobucket
"...To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."
Beta Tester
/16

mcduff32

• Beta Tester
90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mcduff32
Accepted Solution

Pentex wrote:

But now, the major thing i want to say about B&B is that there needs to be a limit per structure, not just the overall limit. There's walls all over the place and sometimes no room to build anything more. On the B&B wheel, you should see each building's limit and how many you have already built. Also perhaps, who knows if not a building limit per player too.

Say, each player can build 8 structures, that's already a lot. Also, the turrets should be independent and limited to 2 per player and if you build a 3rd, the first one blows up, so when on the B&B menu, you'd see 0 out of 2, 1 out of 2 or 2 out of 2 concerning just your own turrets. But as for the limit per structure i'd say that walls could for instance be limited to 12 or 16, bunkers to 4 or 6, just like most other buildings and finally the shield limited to 1 or 2. It would be a case of tinkering with it.

And finally, if we want Starhawk to be fast paced, the way we start games right now just is inadmissable. You start with almost no rift, people end up grounded most of the time, walls are built left and right, a Hawk alone is 3 slots and nobody takes to the skies because it costs too much, let alone the issues people are having with the flight system itself.

So i would be in favor of starting the game with 6 rift slots, enough for a launch pad. But you might be worried that everyone would build one so they could take to the skies?! Well, if you limite the number of each structure, only 4 or 6 people would be able to build pads and the others would have enough rift to buy their own hawk. Bunkers could be built straightaway to avoid the shortage of weapons, another huge problem and things would be sped up, making constructing a base much faster. In due time, what this could mean would be that people would prioritize what they wanted to build, making it more strategic, and most importantly, faster paced.

I see your point, but I think LighBox want to give freedom to the players to build whatever they want with the tools at their disposal. Limiting who can build what and when would also limit the ways in which a typical game can play out. 

If someone wants to defend a base with 30 turrets:

They can do that.

It's this freedome that makes the game great. 

What if I'm on a really bad team that doesn't know how to collect cores effectively? I don't want to hit a personal limit on the stuff I can build because that would only contribute to a more one-sided game.

If you think there aren't enough cores to go round, they can look at putting more core pods on the maps, increase the amount of cores you have on spawn, or increase the rate at which you collect cores when a spawn beacon is up. I would rather this than putting in more limits.

Photobucket
/16

Pentex

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pentex
Accepted Solution

mcduff32 escreveu:

I see your point, but I think LighBox want to give freedom to the players to build whatever they want with the tools at their disposal. Limiting who can build what and when would also limit the ways in which a typical game can play out. 

They can do that.

It's this freedome that makes the game great. 

What if I'm on a really bad team that doesn't know how to collect cores effectively? I don't want to hit a personal limit on the stuff I can build because that would only contribute to a more one-sided game.

If you think there aren't enough cores to go round, they can look at putting more core pods on the maps, increase the amount of cores you have on spawn, or increase the rate at which you collect cores when a spawn beacon is up. I would rather this than putting in more limits.

I also see your point, but i only agree to the extent of not having a building limit per player. I still think that it's imperative that there's a limit per structure because, really, having 20 walls, 10 garages and 2 sniper towers isn't going to help the team in any way. If anything, the limit per building can work to remind people that there's already too many of those built. I can se it even after only a little time dedicated to the game, i've been in a team that built walls up to our ears but has no pod beacons, no shield, no beam turrets and with luck has a launch pad.

I'm not saying that the limits per structure would equal the overall 32 limit, it would always be way above that, at least double. So, for example:

16 walls

8 garages

6 sniper towers

4 pod beacons

6 launch pads

6 beam turrets

6 bunkers

6 jetpack dispensers

2 shields

That alone equals 60, and there's still two structures that we don't have access to. So easily you can get that up to 64. This would mean that there would be a lot of room to adapt to each team's style without going overkill on a single structure. With a limit like that one i just presented you can reach almost 32 structures with just walls, garages and bunkers if your team wants to play ground.

/16

Pentex

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pentex
Accepted Solution

Oh, not to mention that i do feel that turrets acting like your personal weapon should mean that you don't get to spam them and instead get a limit outside of the overall 32 limit, my suggestion being 2. Your example of building 32 turrets might look cool but we both know that's just for giggles on a serious game.

0 Kudos

/16

Commandofin

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Commandofin
Accepted Solution

mcduff32 wrote:

Pentex wrote:

I got to admit I loled after seeing that pic. Its good to know that you can build that many buildings. I was a bit worried about the build cap being too low but alas my worries were for nothing.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

TalllPaul

• Beta Tester
97%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post