30 May 2010
Playstation Staff

Need New RPG To Play: Recommendations?

17 Replies 1,047 Views Created 30-05-2010

Just finished Dragon Age, awesome game.  i've finished oblivion but wasn't keen on fallout 3.  Final Fantasy 13 i found got too hard too quickly (not sure why?), got stuck on sacred 2 facing a nasty dragon fairly late on in the quest (cant remember exactly where, was ages since i had and played it)

Been looking at a few rpgs as follows:

Disgaea 3:  i woud be new to the series so with that in mind, how accessible is it? 

Star Ocean 4: looks fun, how does it compare with FF13

Demon Souls:  hear that its rock hard

Eternal Sonata: enjoyed the demo

Resonance of fate:  is this even out yet?  how does it play?

What RPG's are worthy of my time?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18 (1,047 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: Need New RPG To Play: Recommendations?

Will only comment on RPGs I own from that list.

SO4, Personally I like the game a lot, there is a lot of stuff to be done in addition to the storyline which is a plus, on the negative side some tedious back and forth is sometimes involved but there is plenty of freedom once you get going. Personally I like this more than FF13 but the two can't be compared they are in 2 entirely different directions. Game gives you a difficulty option at the beginning of a new game so you can decide how much of a challenge you want.

Eternal Sonata, it took me getting some use to, its not bad but I found that I had to grind levels fairly often just to get past the next boss, dialog can get a little long winded too.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18 (1,044 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Resonance of Fate is.. brilliant. Love the music, and the way it's mixed. The semi turn-based battle-system is extremely good. ..I wrote a review here: http://www.honestgamers.com/reviews/8792/Resonance-of-Fate.html ..few shops have picked them up, so might be an idea to order it on the net.

You should probably at least have tried Demon's Souls. It's more of an action-game than an rpg. But it's interesting enough to spend a lot of hours in, building your character, and discovering the mysteries behind the different people in the game. Some of the areas are really well designed, and will be guaranteed to make you grin while playing. Others will make you grit your teeth, just like some of the game's mechanics will, as you get wasted by the same monster for no reason. Multiplayer approach is very unique... It's definitively a very good game, in spite of some flaws.

Valkyria Chronicles as well.. episodic story-telling. Brief upgrade and experience spending system, that still is deep enough to make things interesting. Another go at a more action-oriented battle-system, without making the pacing too fast - similar to, but still different from Resonance of Fate. Absolutely worth your time.

Disgaea 3 - quirky Japanese humor - it has a very good English voice-track. But the entire game consists of grinding battles on a pseudo-3d mesh. With ridiculously complex rules for everything from the fighting to the way upgrades and skills work. It's the kind of game you can spend years on before completing.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18 (1,041 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I see Folklore has some good ratings on the net.  How do you guys rate this game?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18 (1,038 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

..I haven't played Folklore that much. But.. I think it fits in the same category as Eternal Sonata. It's not a bad game. But most likely.. only slightly older gamers will really get the plot and the references, understand the characters... or accept the scene-warps, or some of the mind-journeys as natural for the story-telling. While the presentation of the game seems to be aimed for hooking in ten-year olds. So when Folklore has a 16 year recommendation, then you wonder who the game is made for. Same with eternal sonata.. not sure how that got an 8+ rating, unless the board that set it up just watched the first couple of cutscenes.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18 (1,014 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Demon's Souls isn't as hard as people say.  It is brilliant though and I recommend it as a first choice RPG.  I also have Oblivion (which in a way is harder than Demon's Souls because of the unfriendly leveling system) and Valkyria Chronicles which I haven't finished but is unique and full of character.

I was recently looking into RPGs and considered Resonance of Fate and White Knight Chronicles, but reviews put me off both as purchases.  However Eternal Sonata reviewed well.

If you find FF13 hard then you're probably not using the best combination of classes.  They all have situations when they're required.

Fallout New Vegas and White Knight Chronicles 2 are on the way.

Have you played FF9 now available on the store?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18 (998 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

NIER - The hidden gem the more you play the more it grows on you totally addictive.

Enchated arms - Great classic RPG

Demons Souls - is hard but good.

SO4 - good game but dont buy it if you want a game to plat this will take you forever to plat.

Valkyria Cronicles - is awesome but its more a turn based strategy game with RPG elements

Folklore - is a cool cult game lots of fun

FFXIII - well you should be able to get further is you level up a bit, awesome game.

WKC - hit and miss reasonable game but ultimately dissapointing

Resonance of Fate - Great Game but can get repetitive at times

Oblivion and Fallout - are both very open games with little direction

Dragon Age - good game

Borderlands - RPG crossed with fps surprisingly addictive

Eternal Soneta - Average

Disgaea - could be so much better

Last Rebellion - Poor

Alpha Protocol - Epic Idea - Epic FAIL...

OK thats pretty much all the RPGs on the PS3 other than the CLASSICS on PSN FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, Vagrant Story etc etc..

There are plenty to come tho with more of a MMO trend, with FF Online, DC Universe Online etc.

Look out for Last Guardian too..

"Play you like a violin, I did."
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18 (991 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

If youre not sure you could always go replay old ones you havnt played in ages,

i recently replayed FF7 and  there is nothing better than a good trip down memory lane.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18 (973 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Demon's Souls when it comes out here, hands down.

It is only hard if you suck at the quality combat system - if you button mash, it will be hard. If you take your time and are sensible enough not to engage too many things at once it is not that hard at all.

And even if you die, all it costs you is the time spent getting to where to did in the level. You won't lose equipment or anything. Although the odd enemy may remove a level with a special attack - but they are rare.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18 (950 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

well picked up disgaea 3 and folklore today dirt cheap.  happy with both. 

Thinking of picking up star ocean 4 or resonance of fate tomorrow too - not decided which yet

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18 (899 Views)
0 Kudos