Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 112

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

08 Mar 2012
By DUKE_FOOKEM

DUKE_FOOKEM

  • Offline
75%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

52 Replies 1,235 Views Created 08-03-2012

Finished the game after getting way early on me 360 ignore the reviews its terrible. EA have killed the game massive plot holes which don't have any relevance to what happened in the previous two games. Awful storytelling entirely predictable, dumbed down everything and possibly the worst ending to a game ever. Plays more like Gears of War than Mass Effect. Mass effect 1 was awesome number 2 was still good but 3 is awful :(

Reply
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
02
/16

OmegaPyrate

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
OmegaPyrate
Accepted Solution

Now this is intresting.....

Maybe that leak during development is partly responsible?  I remember reading a while back that Bioware may be altering the story because of it.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

04
/16

steveeire

  • Offline
94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steveeire
Accepted Solution
It would be nice, in other news some filed a complaint with the FTC in America about mass effect 3
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG BLEARYSTEVEEIRE

STEAM ID: BLEARYSTEVE
06
/16
99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Solid_Snake12345
Accepted Solution

OmegaPyrate wrote:

Now this is intresting.....

Maybe that leak during development is partly responsible?  I remember reading a while back that Bioware may be altering the story because of it.


That was confirmed false unfortunately.

EDIT: Not the online pack. That is almost certainly true. The name of a DLC called "The Truth" which would change the ending is false.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

[ Edited ]
03
/16

metallicorphan

  • Offline
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

There has been an update to that 'discussion on the endings'

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/16/bioware-to-discuss-mass-effect-3-endings.aspx

 

 

 

See the highlighted part for the gist of things in this quote

 


"[Update] Mass Effect 3 executive producer Casey Hudson has issued the following statement on Mass Effect 3's endings:

There’s been a lot of discussion and debate about the conclusion of Mass Effect 3, so I thought I’d share my perspective with you here. I’ll avoid outright spoilers, but I’d still recommend finishing the game and experiencing it for yourself before reading this.

For the last eight years, Mass Effect has been a labor of love for our team; love for the characters we’ve created, for the medium of video games, and for the fans that have supported us. For us and for you, Mass Effect 3 had to live up to a lot of expectations, not only for a great gaming experience, but for a resolution to the countless storylines and decisions you’ve made as a player since the journey began in 2007. So we designed Mass Effect 3 to be a series of endings to key plots and storylines, each culminating in scenes that show you the consequences of your actions. You then carry the knowledge of these consequences with you as you complete the final moments of your journey.

We always intended that the scale of the conflict and the underlying theme of sacrifice would lead to a bittersweet ending—to do otherwise would betray the agonizing decisions Shepard had to make along the way. Still, we wanted to give players the chance to experience an inspiring and uplifting ending; in a story where you face a hopeless struggle for basic survival, we see the final moments and imagery as offering victory and hope in the context of sacrifice and reflection.

We've had some incredibly positive reactions to Mass Effect 3, from the New York Times declaring it “a gripping, coherent triumph”, to Penny Arcade calling it “an amazing accomplishment”, to emails and tweets from players who have given us the most profound words of appreciation we've ever received.

But we also recognize that some of our most passionate fans needed more closure, more answers, and more time to say goodbye to their stories—and these comments are equally valid. Player feedback such as this has always been an essential ingredient in the development of the series.

I am extremely proud of what this team has accomplished, from the first art concepts for the Mass Effect universe to the final moments of Mass Effect 3. But we didn't do it on our own. Over the course of the series, Mass Effect has been a shared experience between the development team and our fans—not just a shared experience in playing the games, but in designing and developing them. An outpouring of love for Garrus and Tali led to their inclusion as love interests in Mass Effect 2. A request for deeper RPG systems led to key design changes in Mass Effect 3. Your feedback has always mattered. Mass Effect is a collaboration between developers and players, and we continue to listen.

So where do we go from here? Throughout the next year, we will support Mass Effect 3 by working on new content. And we’ll keep listening, because your insights and constructive feedback will help determine what that content should be. This is not the last you’ll hear of Commander Shepard.

We look forward to your continued support and involvement as we work together to shape the remaining experiences in the story of the Mass Effect trilogy.

Thanks for taking this journey with us.

Casey Hudson"

 



so,if this was planned(the highlighted part)...was it really planned to let everyone know so soon?,or has the criticism got that much?

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

[ Edited ]
FF14:ARR-Mancunian Metal


02
/16

Yrag86

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Yrag86
Accepted Solution

Theres a few fan based discussion on the net, suggesting something called indoctrinated theory. Which basically says that the last part of the game was all a dream, or that the reapers had managed to indoctrinate you into believing that not destroying them was the right thing to do. Theres a few sites with pictures and points pointing towards this being true.

 

The only problem i have with this theory is that i cant help but think that if it gets enough support that Bioware are going to announce it to be true, even if not the case. Just to keep the fans happy.

 

And when someone says something like -

Throughout the next year, we will support Mass Effect 3 by working on new content. And we’ll keep listening, because your insights and constructive feedback will help determine what that content should be

 

I cant help but think that bioware havent a clue how to finish the series off and will just end up creating new DLC by stealing the most popular fan ideas.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

[ Edited ]
03
/16

metallicorphan

  • Offline
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

here you go Yrag86

 

 

I love these videos,they really changed everything i was thinking about the end of ME3

 

If Bioware did mean these,then i have to hand it to them for sticking to it,however i still think Bioware could of done more,instead of creating their own chaos on the net

 

so,this first video will give you the jist of things,its 3 minutes long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7bsIpEKIg

 

 

and this second video is 20 minutes long and goes into more detail,going right through the 3 games,it really is quite good the theory,which isn't new i might add as Yrag mentioned,but seeing it all come together is pretty cool

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

 

 

especially check around 7:30-7:50ish...i definitely did not notice that,as i don't think i turned around after i got hit by the red beam and then stumbling towards the light,LOL

 

please take the time to watch these videos,they are really good

 

I love the scene from Arrival DLC for ME2,because i was thinking the very same thing at the time,but forgot all about it

 

even if this is just some fluke and this is not actually Bioware's intention,this is the meaning of the end for my game from now on anyway :)

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

[ Edited ]
FF14:ARR-Mancunian Metal


02
/16

Yrag86

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Yrag86
Accepted Solution

I guess my biggest problems with the ending are the fact that every ending is basically the same. They just chance the colour of the beam.

And also how the choices from the first 2 games really make no difference what so ever. I guess the reason for this is they wanted people who hadnt played either of the previous games to be able to get all the endings as well.

I think the better way to do this would of been to give everyone a questionaire at the start if you hadnt played either of the previous games, Then a bit of a catch up video showing the choices you had made. Rather than just giving you a default set of choices. That way people who had never played the first 2 would of still been able to change the way the game played out. And they could of given you a much wider selection of endings. They could of even given you a ending within the first hour of the game if you had made nothing but poor choices.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

06
/16
99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Solid_Snake12345
Accepted Solution

metallicorphan wrote:

here you go Yrag86

 

 

I love these videos,they really changed everything i was thinking about the end of ME3

 

If Bioware did mean these,then i have to hand it to them for sticking to it,however i still think Bioware could of done more,instead of creating their own chaos on the net

 

so,this first video will give you the jist of things,its 3 minutes long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7bsIpEKIg

 

 

and this second video is 20 minutes long and goes into more detail,going right through the 3 games,it really is quite good the theory,which isn't new i might add as Yrag mentioned,but seeing it all come together is pretty cool

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

 

 

especially check around 7:30-7:50ish...i definitely did not notice that,as i don't think i turned around after i got hit by the red beam and then stumbling towards the light,LOL

 

please take the time to watch these videos,they are really good

 

I love the scene from Arrival DLC for ME2,because i was thinking the very same thing at the time,but forgot all about it

 

even if this is just some fluke and this is not actually Bioware's intention,this is the meaning of the end for my game from now on anyway :)



I've said it before but it is. The Mass Effect 3: The Final Hours app states that they originally were going to go with Shepard being indoctrinated or fighting indoctrination but they abandoned it after not figuring out a way for it to work. It's simply fans over-thinking and over-analysing the game unfortunately, clinging onto something to justify the ending as unfortunate as I find that.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

02
/16

OmegaPyrate

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
OmegaPyrate
Accepted Solution

Maybe the simple answer is they just wanted to put a big full stop on the 'Shepard' story of Mass Effect- that way when they inevitably make another game in the universe, they won't have to worry about details carrying over.  Fresh start, story, characters etc......

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

02
/16

Yrag86

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Yrag86
Accepted Solution

OmegaPyrate wrote:

Maybe the simple answer is they just wanted to put a big full stop on the 'Shepard' story of Mass Effect- that way when they inevitably make another game in the universe, they won't have to worry about details carrying over.  Fresh start, story, characters etc......



Ive got no real problem with Shepard dieing,

Him dieing is probably the only part of the ending im happy with. Cause i at least know what happened to him. Unlike the rest of my crew.

But yeah as endings go, it wasnt too bad. Not as bad as what people have made it out to be anyway. And if this was a one off game i would be more than happy with it.

But as i said in my earlier post, the ending itself isnt the problem. The problem is that to allow people who havent played the previous games still get the perfect ending, bioware have made it so none of your choices make any real difference to the game.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

02
/16

Yrag86

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Yrag86
Accepted Solution
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

02
/16

OmegaPyrate

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
OmegaPyrate
Accepted Solution

Yrag86 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG4EyfXOTJ4&feature=player_embedded

 

OK, now im happy with the ending.


XD  The irony is, that' almost  exactly what I had in mind the ending would be like..... minus the silly music and such, obviously.  Maybe a solemn voice-over by Hackett telling us what happened to everyone after the fighting, with a few nostalgic  clips from all the games....... 

Shame.  :( 

And LOL @ Jacob.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

04
/16

steveeire

  • Offline
94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steveeire
Accepted Solution
anyone played insanity mode yet?
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG BLEARYSTEVEEIRE

STEAM ID: BLEARYSTEVE
03
/16

metallicorphan

  • Offline
96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

Bioware have been sent 402 cupcakes

 

134 Green Cupcakes Labelled A
134 Blue Cupcakes Labelled B
134 Red Cupcakes Labelled C

 

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/27/someone-sent-bioware-400-cupcakes.aspx

 

"A user on the BioWare forums quickly organized a donation pool of over $1,000 and made a massive order of approximately 402 cupcakes from a local bakery near BioWare's Edmonton studio. "As fans, we want Bioware to do right by us, and fix the endings for Mass Effect 3. But we also want to let Bioware know, that we trust them, and have faith in them."

 

 

"The cupcakes are colored Red, Blue and Green and labeled A, B or C as a dig at executive produce Casey Hudson's statements where he said, “It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C…The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them.”

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

FF14:ARR-Mancunian Metal


02
/16

OmegaPyrate

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
OmegaPyrate
Accepted Solution

XD  Was going to post that.......

I bet Casey's sitting there in his office right now with chocolate smeared all over his face, thinking to himself- "I KNEW it was the right decision!"  :D

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

06
/16

YorkshirePud82

  • Offline
99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
YorkshirePud82
Accepted Solution
I have no problems with any of the endings or the one i chose, leaves them open ended and i though some of the decisions were thought provoking. haters gonna hate though....

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

Oldies can still be goldies
07
/16

Wait-Jester-Sec

  • Offline
99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wait-Jester-Sec
Accepted Solution

I didnt mind the single player nor the endings. Granted there were a few things i would of loved to of found out after all we went through to accomplish these certin tasks

 

But the multiplayer is giving me all kinds if hell :Argh: it has taken me over an hour to get a game going then i get booted and bad lag. Yeah way to go EA and Bioware way to make a multiplayer game :| bloody fail on their part and i know full well they wont do a thing to fix it.... all they care about is the $$$ they line their pockets with

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

 photo Signature_zpsc792b269.jpg
Beta Tester
10
/16

InfiniteStates

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Sounds like you might need to open ports...?

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

05
/16

Ew_Tux

  • Offline
97%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ew_Tux
Accepted Solution

Wait-Jester-Sec wrote:

I didnt mind the single player nor the endings. Granted there were a few things i would of loved to of found out after all we went through to accomplish these certin tasks

 

But the multiplayer is giving me all kinds if hell :Argh: it has taken me over an hour to get a game going then i get booted and bad lag. Yeah way to go EA and Bioware way to make a multiplayer game :| bloody fail on their part and i know full well they wont do a thing to fix it.... all they care about is the $$$ they line their pockets with



How do you connect as I have no issues finding games or getting games going. If I say 10 seconds to find a game it's long ..

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.


07
/16

Wait-Jester-Sec

  • Offline
99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wait-Jester-Sec
Accepted Solution

Ew_Tux wrote:

Wait-Jester-Sec wrote:

I didnt mind the single player nor the endings. Granted there were a few things i would of loved to of found out after all we went through to accomplish these certin tasks

 

But the multiplayer is giving me all kinds if hell :Argh: it has taken me over an hour to get a game going then i get booted and bad lag. Yeah way to go EA and Bioware way to make a multiplayer game :| bloody fail on their part and i know full well they wont do a thing to fix it.... all they care about is the $$$ they line their pockets with



How do you connect as I have no issues finding games or getting games going. If I say 10 seconds to find a game it's long ..


 

I am hooked up wired to the PS3 normally i dont ahve any problems but last night was a horror of a thing on the game :(

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

 photo Signature_zpsc792b269.jpg
05
/16

Ew_Tux

  • Offline
97%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ew_Tux
Accepted Solution

Wait-Jester-Sec wrote:

Ew_Tux wrote:

Wait-Jester-Sec wrote:

I didnt mind the single player nor the endings. Granted there were a few things i would of loved to of found out after all we went through to accomplish these certin tasks

 

But the multiplayer is giving me all kinds if hell :Argh: it has taken me over an hour to get a game going then i get booted and bad lag. Yeah way to go EA and Bioware way to make a multiplayer game :| bloody fail on their part and i know full well they wont do a thing to fix it.... all they care about is the $$$ they line their pockets with



How do you connect as I have no issues finding games or getting games going. If I say 10 seconds to find a game it's long ..


 

I am hooked up wired to the PS3 normally i dont ahve any problems but last night was a horror of a thing on the game :(



Could have been a bad night? Although I was on with my friend and we had some good games ...

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.


View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel