80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Need New RPG To Play: Recommendations?

17 Replies 1,111 Views Created 30-05-2010

Just finished Dragon Age, awesome game.  i've finished oblivion but wasn't keen on fallout 3.  Final Fantasy 13 i found got too hard too quickly (not sure why?), got stuck on sacred 2 facing a nasty dragon fairly late on in the quest (cant remember exactly where, was ages since i had and played it)

Been looking at a few rpgs as follows:

Disgaea 3:  i woud be new to the series so with that in mind, how accessible is it? 

Star Ocean 4: looks fun, how does it compare with FF13

Demon Souls:  hear that its rock hard

Eternal Sonata: enjoyed the demo

Resonance of fate:  is this even out yet?  how does it play?

What RPG's are worthy of my time?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

TheOrion

• Beta Tester
81%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheOrion
Accepted Solution
Will only comment on RPGs I own from that list.

SO4, Personally I like the game a lot, there is a lot of stuff to be done in addition to the storyline which is a plus, on the negative side some tedious back and forth is sometimes involved but there is plenty of freedom once you get going. Personally I like this more than FF13 but the two can't be compared they are in 2 entirely different directions. Game gives you a difficulty option at the beginning of a new game so you can decide how much of a challenge you want.

Eternal Sonata, it took me getting some use to, its not bad but I found that I had to grind levels fairly often just to get past the next boss, dialog can get a little long winded too.
0 Kudos

Re: Need New RPG To Play: Recommendations?

/16

fleinn

96%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fleinn
Accepted Solution
Resonance of Fate is.. brilliant. Love the music, and the way it's mixed. The semi turn-based battle-system is extremely good. ..I wrote a review here: http://www.honestgamers.com/reviews/8792/Resonance-of-Fate.html ..few shops have picked them up, so might be an idea to order it on the net.

You should probably at least have tried Demon's Souls. It's more of an action-game than an rpg. But it's interesting enough to spend a lot of hours in, building your character, and discovering the mysteries behind the different people in the game. Some of the areas are really well designed, and will be guaranteed to make you grin while playing. Others will make you grit your teeth, just like some of the game's mechanics will, as you get wasted by the same monster for no reason. Multiplayer approach is very unique... It's definitively a very good game, in spite of some flaws.

Valkyria Chronicles as well.. episodic story-telling. Brief upgrade and experience spending system, that still is deep enough to make things interesting. Another go at a more action-oriented battle-system, without making the pacing too fast - similar to, but still different from Resonance of Fate. Absolutely worth your time.

Disgaea 3 - quirky Japanese humor - it has a very good English voice-track. But the entire game consists of grinding battles on a pseudo-3d mesh. With ridiculously complex rules for everything from the fighting to the way upgrades and skills work. It's the kind of game you can spend years on before completing.
0 Kudos

/16

GeneticDeviant

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GeneticDeviant
Accepted Solution

I see Folklore has some good ratings on the net.  How do you guys rate this game?

0 Kudos

/16

fleinn

96%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fleinn
Accepted Solution
..I haven't played Folklore that much. But.. I think it fits in the same category as Eternal Sonata. It's not a bad game. But most likely.. only slightly older gamers will really get the plot and the references, understand the characters... or accept the scene-warps, or some of the mind-journeys as natural for the story-telling. While the presentation of the game seems to be aimed for hooking in ten-year olds. So when Folklore has a 16 year recommendation, then you wonder who the game is made for. Same with eternal sonata.. not sure how that got an 8+ rating, unless the board that set it up just watched the first couple of cutscenes.
0 Kudos

/16

McWopper

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
McWopper
Accepted Solution

Demon's Souls isn't as hard as people say.  It is brilliant though and I recommend it as a first choice RPG.  I also have Oblivion (which in a way is harder than Demon's Souls because of the unfriendly leveling system) and Valkyria Chronicles which I haven't finished but is unique and full of character.

I was recently looking into RPGs and considered Resonance of Fate and White Knight Chronicles, but reviews put me off both as purchases.  However Eternal Sonata reviewed well.

If you find FF13 hard then you're probably not using the best combination of classes.  They all have situations when they're required.

Fallout New Vegas and White Knight Chronicles 2 are on the way.

Have you played FF9 now available on the store?

0 Kudos

/16

TheNomadic1

83%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheNomadic1
Accepted Solution

NIER - The hidden gem the more you play the more it grows on you totally addictive.

Enchated arms - Great classic RPG

Demons Souls - is hard but good.

SO4 - good game but dont buy it if you want a game to plat this will take you forever to plat.

Valkyria Cronicles - is awesome but its more a turn based strategy game with RPG elements

Folklore - is a cool cult game lots of fun

FFXIII - well you should be able to get further is you level up a bit, awesome game.

WKC - hit and miss reasonable game but ultimately dissapointing

Resonance of Fate - Great Game but can get repetitive at times

Oblivion and Fallout - are both very open games with little direction

Dragon Age - good game

Borderlands - RPG crossed with fps surprisingly addictive

Eternal Soneta - Average

Disgaea - could be so much better

Last Rebellion - Poor

Alpha Protocol - Epic Idea - Epic FAIL...

OK thats pretty much all the RPGs on the PS3 other than the CLASSICS on PSN FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, Vagrant Story etc etc..

There are plenty to come tho with more of a MMO trend, with FF Online, DC Universe Online etc.

Look out for Last Guardian too..

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"Play you like a violin, I did."
/16

FalconIsis

72%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FalconIsis
Accepted Solution

If youre not sure you could always go replay old ones you havnt played in ages,

i recently replayed FF7 and  there is nothing better than a good trip down memory lane.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Demon's Souls when it comes out here, hands down.

It is only hard if you suck at the quality combat system - if you button mash, it will be hard. If you take your time and are sensible enough not to engage too many things at once it is not that hard at all.

And even if you die, all it costs you is the time spent getting to where to did in the level. You won't lose equipment or anything. Although the odd enemy may remove a level with a special attack - but they are rare.

0 Kudos

/16

GeneticDeviant

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GeneticDeviant
Accepted Solution

well picked up disgaea 3 and folklore today dirt cheap.  happy with both. 

Thinking of picking up star ocean 4 or resonance of fate tomorrow too - not decided which yet

0 Kudos

/16
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ObsessionDesigns
Accepted Solution

I've recently picked up Resonance of Fate and White Knight Chronicles and I can say that both games are awesome, don't let the reviews put you off.

Both are good games and I would recommend them.

This year I've played through Dragon Age, FFXIII, Demons Souls, SO4 and probably a few others that I can't think of.

0 Kudos

Games most looking forward to: Dragon Age II, Infamous 2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Star Wars TFU II, Street Fighter X Tekken, Marvel Vs Capcom 3
/16

GeneticDeviant

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GeneticDeviant
Accepted Solution

Well picked up star ocean. the shop didnt have anymore copies of resonance of fate.  Loving the game thus far,  more fun IMO than FF13.

First impressions are as follows:  long long cutscenes, nice battle system - blindsiding is a neat touch, good graphics though on some areas a bit hit and miss, good story, some back and forth involved - for example i had to collect 8 insect eggs which you normally get by killing insect enemies - i must have spent at least an hour going round killing enemies waiting for the last egg to drop. 

Enjoying this game

Struggling to get into Disgaea 3, its very niche, however i really want to like this game as it does have a certain charm.

0 Kudos

/16

Lifeshield

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lifeshield
Accepted Solution

If you like hack & slash RPG's (like Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, etc) then Sacred 2 is a decent acquisition. I don't know how well it was recieved on the PS3 though or whether it had any glaring faults that were any different from the Xbox 360 version. I enjoyed it alot though.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 are great. Final Fantasy XIII is ok though very linear until it opens up. Didn't enjoy Resonance of Fate though, it's style is like marmite, you'll either love it or hate it.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

/16

fleinn

96%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fleinn
Accepted Solution

Lifeshield wrote:

Didn't enjoy Resonance of Fate though, it's style is like marmite, you'll either love it or hate it.

Oh, come on. How can you not like this :p : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrB6Yc3SK4
0 Kudos

/16

Lifeshield

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Lifeshield
Accepted Solution

fleinn wrote:

Lifeshield wrote:

Didn't enjoy Resonance of Fate though, it's style is like marmite, you'll either love it or hate it.

Oh, come on. How can you not like this :p : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrB6Yc3SK4

Lol. The game just wasn't to my taste.

0 Kudos

/16

slugvendor

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
slugvendor
Accepted Solution

The fact that you enjoyed oblivion and dragon age so much suggests you enjoy melee combat over ranged combat but what exactly are you looking for in a RPG? both of the above games are epic in scale and heavily story driven ... although there is no denying that the conbat in Demon souls is quality, the story can me summed up in one sentance, the world is on the brink of destruction and many have tride to save it but failed, now its your turn. unfortunately there is little / no dialogue and the game is probably best viewed as an action adventure rather than an RPG. its also worth pointing out that genre's are less clearly deffined these days and many RPG elemnts such as character development, shops, exploration and item collection appear in many other games which dont have the RPG label. Darksiders for example has many of the above elemts and there is more dialogue in the opening sequence than there is in the whole of Demon souls. if your looking for a traditional RPG with lots to do, semi-real time combat and lots of customisation you could do worse than White Knight Chronicles or Star Ocean however if you like the idea of your decisions affecting gameplay then you should give fallout a go or maybe risk trying Alpha protocol. Good luck :)

0 Kudos

'War does not determine who is right, Only who is left!!!!'
/16

fleinn

96%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fleinn
Accepted Solution
..or go for something completely different - Oblivion was always bugged beyond belief.. but the.. er.. "game of the year, ultimate, really, really final version edition" that turned up on the ps3... that version actually runs well. The AI is still retarded, but at least it is fast..

Another gem.. got a lot of extremely disappointed reviews at launch, because people were expecting something else - but it is a pretty good action/rpg in first person. Fighting, sneaking, spells - all very good. With a good story to go along with it. Might&Magic: Dark Messiah. Really liked that game, with the twist on the story.. and the limb-cutting with the sword in slow motion :D

I wish those devs could write some more games.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Lifeshield wrote:

If you like hack & slash RPG's (like Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, etc) then Sacred 2 is a decent acquisition. I don't know how well it was recieved on the PS3 though or whether it had any glaring faults that were any different from the Xbox 360 version. I enjoyed it alot though.

^This. I'm loving Sacred 2 at the moment. The world is vast, and the character build options are vast. Excellent but under rated game.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel