12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Rainbow Moon!

25 Replies 743 Views Created 09-07-2012

Rainbow Moon!

did anyone else grab this from the Store and start wandering around slaying monsters over the weekend?

its all about battling creatures, dungeon hunting, eating carrots, staying in inns (innit) and finding sticky comics. and something about escaping the land aswell, but thats secondary to finding keys (and shears) to unlock your next area and looting for materials and general adventuring.

the fights are turn based, and once you get some more party members and sub-turns and start taking on tougher enemies, theres quite a bit of strategy involved in getting into the best positions, using the right characters and just trying to survive in the case of some bosses and higher level foes.

a natty extra feature is it has an online Ranking board (i said ranking):

http://www.rainbowmoongame.com/

which shows stuff like your Level (013), Time (12 hours) and number of Fights (185). has anyone else uploaded their stats yet?

if youve been getting into it recently, how have you been finding the game and what do you think of it? have you been grinding on poor little Imps or jumping straight into Skeletons and Poisonous bad guys?

LABELS:
KZAM!
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

aaron9992000

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
aaron9992000
Accepted Solution

I bought it too, i think its really fun. The graphics and music are good, and the gameplay is very addictive, if a little samey after extended play.

My only real thumbs down is the selling of 'buffs'. Im not overly concerned if people want to pay to get ahead,  but the obscene amount of 'rainbow points' you need to keep your character maxed out does suggest they are trying to nudge you into buying instead of grinding. even at level 18 all my characters would need about 1000 each to reach the caps.

Dont get me wrong it is playable without having your character at max hp and mana available though.

0 Kudos

Re: Rainbow Moon!

[ Edited ]
MVP
/16

TheNarrator

• MVP
99%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheNarrator
Accepted Solution
yeah, the stuff to buy on the Store is a bit silly, though as youd still need to play the game an awful lot even if you bought them all, guess its more of a leg up really as you say.

level 18 is pretty darn good! its good for 'short' 2 hour plays at a time xD.
0 Kudos

KZAM!
/16

aaron9992000

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
aaron9992000
Accepted Solution

Im pretty much ignoring the hp and mana increases from the savant, it would take ages to keep them topped up, it means im running around with half of potential hps, but it doesnt seem to matter. Im playing in normal mode though.

A lot of the monsters seem very tough at first, but lots have a way of being defeated. Finishing your last turn with 'defend' is very good against skeletons and other hard hitters, making sure you dont finish your turn in direct line of sight of poison throwers, stuff like that makes it easier to grind quickly.

0 Kudos

/16

J-Matt-

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
J-Matt-
Accepted Solution

The game is brilliant but after 30 hrs into the game it does get a tiny bit annoying grinding enemies and once u hit lvl 20 you seem to easily get exp more easily.....

seems that the game is massive and its nice playing a good old fashion rpg with improved graphics its pretty fun.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
MVP
/16

TheNarrator

• MVP
99%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheNarrator
Accepted Solution

aaron9992000 wrote:

Im pretty much ignoring the hp and mana increases from the savant, it would take ages to keep them topped up, it means im running around with half of potential hps, but it doesnt seem to matter. Im playing in normal mode though.

A lot of the monsters seem very tough at first, but lots have a way of being defeated. Finishing your last turn with 'defend' is very good against skeletons and other hard hitters, making sure you dont finish your turn in direct line of sight of poison throwers, stuff like that makes it easier to grind quickly.

gah, think ive left a battle poisoned more times than leaving normally lol, theyre tough. and those slimey Geletin monsters that split arequite tough at the moment too.

richard4481 wrote:
Narr who's Darren?

;)

i dont know, but he sounds awesome and hunky. i didnt like his original name xD (or Dozerus lol).

0 Kudos

KZAM!
/16

aaron9992000

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
aaron9992000
Accepted Solution

still making my way through this, the level up system is a little weird, at about 20 you really start flying up, because experience needed is like 15000,16000,17000, but at about 30 it starts flying up, 25000, 50000, 75000. im 33 and need 100000 to get to 34.

I can only imagine this wont go on til 500 or its going to be a very long road to the 500 trophy lol.

Have found a somewhat dubious way of getting one of the silver trophys quickly though.

Spoiler

stand by a healer and just keep casting magic light until its level 50. You get the trophy and as an added bonus the spell stacks, so you wont have to cast it again for a long long time.

0 Kudos

/16

TamKing

94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TamKing
Accepted Solution

been having a blast with rainbow moon,takes me back to the old days of ff7.

the only thing that lets it down compared to the old classics is the story and character development,but i can look over that due its awsome gameplay mechanics...

i had a spare 2 quid in my account,due to the plus discount, so i didnt mind buying dlc,i bought the dozeru pack with the 50.000 pearls and ring,i gave the ring to my main and dozeru is always maxed which is a big help early on, im about 40 hours in and level 39,just when i thought i was getting near the end of the game i get access to a ship and can now cross the oceon and visit more islands!!!  the first island is basically just a tutorial lol this game is huge!!

i urge anyone who likes rpg's to buy this game,show them the old school rpg genre isnt dead and hopefully we will see alot more games likes this released..

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

TheNarrator

• MVP
99%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheNarrator
Accepted Solution

TamKing wrote:

... just when i thought i was getting near the end of the game i get access to a ship and can now cross the oceon and visit more islands!!!  the first island is basically just a tutorial lol this game is huge!!

oh my xD. sounds like the game just gets bigger the more you play it lol.

im only up to level 32 after 40+ hours atm, kinda doing well with Baldy, Dozer and Serena of all characters. dispite having totally weak defence and only being able to shoot in straight lines with her (least expensive) skill, after beefing her up with weapons and extras, shes now been my strongest member for a while xD (as long as no gets too close lol). Dozerus skills are can easily carry you through most battles aswell.

starting to dislike the dungeons with those warp pad things, just because its hard to keep track of where youre going, especially if you want to check every corner and defeat all enemies.

anyone met any really, double-hard high level enemies yet? or come across any good tactics for the more difficult ones?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
KZAM!
/16

TamKing

94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TamKing
Accepted Solution
TheNarrator wrote:

TamKing wrote:

... just when i thought i was getting near the end of the game i get access to a ship and can now cross the oceon and visit more islands!!!  the first island is basically just a tutorial lol this game is huge!!

oh my xD. sounds like the game just gets bigger the more you play it lol.

im only up to level 32 after 40+ hours atm, kinda doing well with Baldy, Dozer and Serena of all characters. dispite having totally weak defence and only being able to shoot in straight lines with her (least expensive) skill, after beefing her up with weapons and extras, shes now been my strongest member for a while xD (as long as no gets too close lol). Dozerus skills are can easily carry you through most battles aswell.

starting to dislike the dungeons with those warp pad things, just because its hard to keep track of where youre going, especially if you want to check every corner and defeat all enemies.

anyone met any really, double-hard high level enemies yet? or come across any good tactics for the more difficult ones?

ill need to give that setup a try,i have just stuck with my character/dozeru/trisha from the start, when i recruited the others they were a much lower level and wanted to move on instead of grinding their level (ill probably regret it later onl)

my only real weak link is trisha due to her low hp/def but once you get her some decent gear and a bit of defence shes excellent for hitting enemies nearly anywhere on the grid,she can now do 4 moves a turn and can kill most enemies before her turn ends..

my character along with dozeru are the main damage dealers and with 5 moves a turn each they decimate enemies (although bosses are starting to get tough,they have hp into the thousands and are usually backed up by a grid full of monsters too making lots of health a  and buffs essential. (protect/haste/cure etc)

it may not be the best tactic,but it works for me,for some of the tougher fights i found that sending dozeru(or a high hp/def character) straight into the boss's melee range the boss wont use his longer range moves/magic as much (which is usually really strong) and just keeping him topped up with health then i focus on killing the weaker mobs first and then finish the boss..

as for high level boss's,on the first island a couple of the dungeons have high level boss's that you need the dematerialiser to get to,i managed to get to the other side of a wall to them and saw one that was a vampire lord or something and his level was in the 700+,i also saw one in another dungeon at level 999..  i think it will be a long time before i take them on :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

KAngermann

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KAngermann
Accepted Solution

This game is gorgeous and fun to play. Sure its grind heavy but thats the type of Tactical RPG's I grew up on like the Shining Force trilogy and the early FF's. Kudo's to Sidequest studios for releasing this. When I bought my PS3 five years ago I really expected more games like this on the PSN. Oh well, at least we got this gem. Absolutely a stunning game on my 1080 52 incher.

0 Kudos

/16

aaron9992000

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
aaron9992000
Accepted Solution

ressurection items are very good for bosses if they are whipping you.  one sub turn brings back a dead character at full health. im using the first three characters you get too, and trisha gets revive skill, but i dont get to use it that much as on the boss battles the boss tends to make a beeline towards her.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

J-Matt-

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
J-Matt-
Accepted Solution

well i stick with the first original 3 characters trish is my fav, im 48 hrs into it lvl 51 and i have seen 2 unltra hard enemies to vs one is a lvl 150 and another is a lvl 999 so they would be fun to vs lol.

I have found dozar to be good against enemies lvl 40+ seems they as more weak against physical attacks

0 Kudos

/16

TamKing

94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TamKing
Accepted Solution

aaron9992000 wrote:

ressurection items are very good for bosses if they are whipping you.  one sub turn brings back a dead character at full health. im using the first three characters you get too, and trisha gets revive skill, but i dont get to use it that much as on the boss battles the boss tends to make a beeline towards her.

same here think ive only used revive skill twice,a good tactic for protecting trisha is to use her defend skill (one that creates boxes on the grid) then stick her in a corner/behind the other characters and just throw lots of boxes around her,she can still be hit by magic attacks but most mobs/bosses will prioritise the boxes instead of her..

they are usually destroyed in 1 hit but thats 1 less hit on your character for each box they attack,they can also be usefull for blocking and forcing mobs to take a longer route to your characters..

0 Kudos

/16

Sasha_Je

79%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sasha_Je
Accepted Solution
I wish someone would make a Tactical RPG with a decent gfx. Don't get me wrong, I am not a gfx ***** but I think it's about time we stooped playing games where we can even get a good look at our characters/enemies. I had my fair share of Disgaea other similar titles but they should try a bit more harder. On the other side it's good that we even have this titles because in this "golden age" of gaming if you want anything similar to this genre you should look at hand-held's. I would have never imagined that this type of games would be so hard to find. Best regards, Sasha_
0 Kudos

/16

aaron9992000

86%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
aaron9992000
Accepted Solution

Sasha_Je wrote:
I wish someone would make a Tactical RPG with a decent gfx. Don't get me wrong, I am not a gfx ***** but I think it's about time we stooped playing games where we can even get a good look at our characters/enemies. I had my fair share of Disgaea other similar titles but they should try a bit more harder. On the other side it's good that we even have this titles because in this "golden age" of gaming if you want anything similar to this genre you should look at hand-held's. I would have never imagined that this type of games would be so hard to find. Best regards, Sasha_

its a bit of a niche genre unfortuantly, you aren't going to see a multi million pound tactical rpg because not enough people play them.

Valkyria chronicles is probably the pinnacle graphics wise for this sort of game at the moment, it doesnt have the exploration part though really.

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

richard4481

• MVP
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
richard4481
Accepted Solution

Love it!!!

Grinding is not to hard in this game , well so far.

Just got my 3rd party member though my I haven't updated my latest stats :)

Head here for your stats 

http://www.rainbowmoongame.com/ranking.php

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Sasha_Je

79%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sasha_Je
Accepted Solution

We don't need a multi million pound games, we just need someone with a bit of budget to take interest in this genre. Valkyria Chronicles is a lovely game but because of the anime approach the game was viable only to anime fans and therefore in the west it failed sailing. Developers took note and released every sequel to PSP, mainly Jap only. The problem is no one took the time to evolve this genre, I don't know why because game like Pokemon Black and White are selling unbelievable well and even Atlantica Online is doing pretty well as far as I know. My last hope was with Square Enix but they decided Final Fantasy should be an action game with small tactical features ( I like the idea, the system but overall it fails to deliver any actual tactical decision ). It's a shame because with every title coming out on the hand-held's people are rushing to buy the and I'm positive it would happen the same with a decent budget console game.

Best regards,

Sasha_

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

richard4481

• MVP
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
richard4481
Accepted Solution
Narr who's Darren?

;)
0 Kudos

/16

PUDZY08

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PUDZY08
Accepted Solution

Im Currently playing and I am level 17, Seems pretty slow atm but still love it

Was having trouble with the big groups of skeletons and hound so bought 50K pearls and got Fire rings etc... and Helped alot and now even know the mosters hunt down the chick with the arrow they dont one hit her anymore..... :D

0 Kudos

/16

KAngermann

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KAngermann
Accepted Solution

I'm sticking with the original 3 also but I wonder. In older games of this type,..sometimes the game would end with a huge boss and all the characters would fight fight it together. I hope this is not the case here else there will be a ton of grinding at the end.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel