nx13

99%
06 Rank
Progress

Trading in Skyrim for Dragons Dogma?

13 Replies 452 Views Created 26-06-2012
26 Jun 2012
By nx13

I know this is an opinionated question, but please, give me your opinions on whether this would be a smart move. I'm sort of poor atm, so I have to keep my spending to a limit, and although I've played 15 hours in Skyrim, I'm struggling to make myself play it, and when I do, I just can't get round to doing anything in it.

YELL ABUSE AT ME OR CONGRATULATE ME ON BEING ACE. 

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Si_Ozzman

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Si_Ozzman
Accepted Solution
If your bored and struggling with Skyrim then I think Dogma is worth a shot...I found the combat and pawn companion system in Dogma to be awesome, the storyline was minimal, but I liked that (no trawling / listening through pages of dialogue).

The world is a bit one dimensional, gfx average and menu systems not as nice as Skyrims, but I found it really compelling and actually am starting a second playthru (something I've not done since DA:O)..
0 Kudos

Re: Trading in Skyrim for Dragons Dogma?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

nx13

99%
06 Rank
Progress
nx13
Accepted Solution
Mmm, I wasn't ALL that keen on the Skyrim combat, although I frickin' loved Morrowind, Skyrim didn't seem all that involving for me.

Is Dragons Dogma use quick travel, or like Morrowind, a cool travelling method? ( Morrowind had those giant jellyfish things! ).
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

There's no fast travel until later in the game - you mostly have to run everywhere. But that's why it's good IMO - you run, you fight, day turns to night.

I just wish the game got harder. It's pretty hard when you first start, but just gets easier and easier.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GroundBreaker91

96%
02 Rank
Progress
GroundBreaker91
Accepted Solution

nx13 wrote:
Mmm, I wasn't ALL that keen on the Skyrim combat, although I frickin' loved Morrowind, Skyrim didn't seem all that involving for me.

Is Dragons Dogma use quick travel, or like Morrowind, a cool travelling method? ( Morrowind had those giant jellyfish things! ).

Dragon's Dogma doesnt have a quick travel option so wherever your quest asks you to go you have to walk there which can get abit frustrating but theres enough enemies along the way to keep you occupied, you can buy Ferrystone's which teleport you back to Gran Soren (this place is the capital city and kind of like your base where you'll stock up on things before you do a quest) though so you dont have to trek all the way back.

I put 50 hours into it then my save data corrupted so i traded it in because although its an awesome game i cant be bothered to start from scratch, ive never been so involved in a RPG before even my favourites like Mass Effect 2, there's something about the game i loved

Its a strange game because there are like boss battles when your just exploring, you could enter a new area and stumble across a Chimera (mix of a snake, goat and lion) and be involved in an epic battle for like 15 minutes and that enemy isnt even part of the quest your on

Ive never played Skyrim but i definitely recommend Dragon's Dogma, it hasnt got the deep, richly detailed world of Skyrim but the combat and pawn system are so addictive 

0 Kudos

Currently Playing: FIFA 13 / DARK SOULS / BURNOUT PARADISE

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

steveeire

94%
04 Rank
Progress
steveeire
Accepted Solution
Keep Skyrim, there will be new dlc for it soon
0 Kudos

XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG BLEARYSTEVEEIRE

STEAM ID: BLEARYSTEVE

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

J-Matt-

92%
02 Rank
Progress
J-Matt-
Accepted Solution

well it depends what you like dragons dogma is more a paced game where u have to explore everywhere and the game can be hard on ur first playthrough, the combat mechanics are simply and you can explore different weapon combo's 3-6 different weapon attacks can be equiped at once which is a nice little mix it up.

Dragons dogma is a new rpg experience because the mini boss fights that take place by surprise in ur first playthrough which if ur not a high level will make u run or die..... the game is simply and fun and is an enjoyable game with both people who only play a little and for those who play it for hours. Dragons dogma is a 3rd person game

Skyrim is a more in depth game it is good in some many level's the combat mechanics are simply but nothing special about it expect the one button attack, the game is more for those that play for hours because it is a massive map to explore and lots of quests to keep you busy, the mini boss fights can be hard again depending on your levvel but they can get boring vs'ing the same mini boss over and over again, it is a good game as well no doubt about it but there are bugs with skyrim that can make you not liking it  but a good game none the less. Skyrim is a mix between 1st and 3rd person.

skyrim is getting an expansion pack next month for ps3 costing £20 a lot of people saying it isnt worth it for what you get in it... so best thing i can say is look at a few videos of both games gameplay and judge for urself what would suit your better.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

nx13

99%
06 Rank
Progress
nx13
Accepted Solution
Sold Skyrim for £22, but unsure about Dogma.

What is the online features do to help improve the game?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

J-Matt-

92%
02 Rank
Progress
J-Matt-
Accepted Solution

well you can select other peoples pawns that can be a great help with quests and fighting certain monsters but they do cost rift crystals if they are higher level then you, which u can get in-game if u have friends who have it their pawns will be free no matter what level they are.

also ur pawn can be selected by other people and used which can help ur pawn gain knowlodge of quests and enemies and you can recieve items from other players as well through ur pawn

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GroundBreaker91

96%
02 Rank
Progress
GroundBreaker91
Accepted Solution

Basically you create a 'pawn' (your sidekick) and that pawn can be hired by friends and other players around the world to help them with their game and depending on how helpful your pawn was to that player you'll receive a certain amount of rift crystals and items, you can also hire other people's pawns

Its not an good as something like Dark Souls online component because their isnt any actual co-op play but if you hire a pawn and that pawn has completed the quest your doing then it'll give you helpful hints so its still pretty good 

0 Kudos

Currently Playing: FIFA 13 / DARK SOULS / BURNOUT PARADISE

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Si_Ozzman

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Si_Ozzman
Accepted Solution
The lack of fast travel can seem frustrating, but it also brings about some of the games greatest dynamic moments. Wading through a forest and realizing your not going to make it to your destination before the sun sets brings about some true fear, and if you do stumble upon a Chimera then panic!

The game does start out difficult, but like mentioned above, it gets easier (too easy in fact, as you become overpowered for the game in my opinion). Does make for a fun run and gun second playthrough though!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Yeah I would have definitely liked at least the option to retain that difficulty level from first stepping outside Cassardis... I remember a pack of Saurians being an epic challenge in the early days too. And those bandits sent me packing with my tail between my legs on several occasions by the Witchwood. Now I barely even break stride as I run past.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

nx13

99%
06 Rank
Progress
nx13
Accepted Solution

Infinite, I trust your insight into games, so is Dogma worth the pick up, or should I save my scarce amount of pennies for a new upcoming title?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

I got 200 hours out of it before platinum. And I really enjoyed it. Having said that, you could easily wait until it drops in price, and there's nothing to stop you trading it in once you're bored of it...

If money is an issue, I'd say get something with decent online and get this cheap. But I'd definitely recommend it, yes.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel