14 Mar 2011
By Yaster
Beta Tester
Playstation Staff

SOCOM - Lets Reminisce

[ Edited ]
54 Replies 1,089 Views edited 19-03-2011

Hey all.

Well the release of SOCOM Special Forces is upon us and conversation is hotting up in here.  I notice that we still have many players from the early SOCOM titles still posting in here who feel very passionate about the game, so I felt it appropriate to begin a topic on your experiences over the last 8 years.

I'm wanting you to prove your old school SOCOM credentials by giving us your stories of the "good old days" for this franchise that kicked off the PlayStation franchise in the online gaming world.

Doesn't matter if you only started playing with Confrontation, only played the Fireteam Bravo games or even started with SOCOM 1.  Do you have any tales of your best matches, ever cleaned up an entire team of elite soldiers by yourself in Suppression?  Has it ever come down to the last second in the 11th round before the outcome of a match has been decided?

yaster's Streambadge
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 55 (1,089 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: SOCOM - Lets Reminisce

[ Edited ]

SOCOM 1, my mother in law got me it for christmas because my dad had bought me a router since we had just got broadband.

My first memory of SOCOM is sitting with my mate and going to play online, we both were excited. Started up the game and the map was abandoned, we thought it looked amazing. Next we heard people talking on the headset, this was AMAZING. Then we managed to work out that everyone in the game was a real person, this completely blew us away and I was then completely addicted. Up until that day I was a casual gamer and that day changed my life.

I ended up writing a critique of SOCOM2 as part of my job application at Rockstar North. I ended up getting the job and working on San Andreas on every platform and even an expansion for it that was never actually released to the public.

After that I got jobs in IT and now run the games development labs at a Uni.

Pretty much all of that is because I got SOCOM1  for Christmas 2003.

THANKS SOCOM! xx

PS. The funniest moment was when my Mrs was over on Boxing day, and in a game I was playing she had the headset on, this player called "Kingfries" had an idea that everyone should lie down so that the other team thought we were dead, i watched from behind and up a hill as him and his mates all tried this and died pretty much instantly. My wife and I still laugh about that to this day.

PSN: SlickShoes
Steam: Skiiba
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 55 (1,044 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Best game ever is Combined Assault  this game was just unbelievable it even had his own messaging system. Its the first game I ever played online on PS2. This game was so advanced compared to all other games on PS2 back in those days. If this game had better graphics then it would be the perfect PS3 game.

Anyway this was also the last socom game that zipper made

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 55 (1,017 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

My dad actually got me into online gaming by buying a network adapter for the PS2 because he wanted to play world championship snooker online :Lol:

As there was no one online the only other game I could think of was socom 2 with the headset. I actually rented it first and I will always remember getting into my first game on fish hook and straight away someone was dancing on another persons body, from that day I was addicted!

Good times were being the last person on the seal team with a IW! There were around 6 of them left and I took them all out to win the game :Winner: I was very happy with myself before getting into the lobby and being called a noob for using that gun! 

Another time was talking to my mate over the comms but he wouldn't respond for some reason... Only to find a few seconds later he has lagged round the whole map and taken out the entire enemy team! Very bad connection but very funny at the time watching it happen. :Lol: 

Good times...

I'm with PS plus but not a beta trialist.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 55 (1,007 Views)
Level 1

Playstation Staff

i never got to play the early socoms.   and have only recently got a ps3.. but i bgot confrontation for a fiver, and i cant get off the ps3 now....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 55 (1,000 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Well where do i start from? I know socom1 :smileyhappy: absolute beast of a game and the best entry for a series i have ever seen i bougt this on the uk release date and played through the singplayer campaign and i loved it, i then seen it had network play so i went straight out to the shop and bought a network adapter and set up my online. From then on all i can say is i dont remember i was that mezmorised. The game that followed socom2 was definatly to me the best socom i have ever played and still play it to date and still loving it. 3 and CA introduced vehicles this was a change but the socm feel was still there and i still loved it. Confrontation was the first entry on ps3 and i was shocked that it wasnt zipper making it but from videos it looked a good game :smileyhappy: it was released in USA and Asia and not the eu because the game was broke i was not having that so i imported it to the UK and played it so much even though it was broke the patches came and things got better the dlc was great and the remastered maps from the old socoms were brilliant. During these times i purchase socom ftb 1,2,3 and TS. I love socom and socom is my life if this franchise died it would be the end of my gamig days i could not live without it :-/ but i know the support socom has this game will never die. On all of these Socoms i have met good old vets from the s1 & 2 days i have met new noobs who are enjoying the games as much as i did from the start. I thank all the socom community, developers and sony for brining this amazing game to my livingroom :smileyhappy: i salute you. The one game i remember was On socom 2 fish hook, it was 8v8 and 7 of my team mates had been destroyed and it was down to me to win this tie breaker, i just remember the gun fights and out skilling them move like a navy seal i really felt like i was i. The game one mistake and boom its all over, my heart was pounding and i whiped out one or two and then got a double kill with my well placed grenade, i took cover And flanked them to take out another two it was 1v1 my heart was racing i seen him took the shot and got a headshot then i heard all my team mates down the mic applauding me and cheering it was so exciting and this was socom and what socom should never lose (forget this and its not even socom any more) as for socom 4 i believe this feel is still there and really want this game to be a success like its predecessors. Socom, Zipper, /6, Sony i thank you all and wish the best for the future with socom i will be hear for aslong as i live. I <3 Socom
DeludedGaming the best gaming site around
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 55 (957 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

sovak wrote:

My dad actually got me into online gaming by buying a network adapter for the PS2 because he wanted to play world championship snooker online :Lol:

As there was no one online the only other game I could think of was socom 2 with the headset. I actually rented it first and I will always remember getting into my first game on fish hook and straight away someone was dancing on another persons body, from that day I was addicted!

Good times were being the last person on the seal team with a IW! There were around 6 of them left and I took them all out to win the game :Winner: I was very happy with myself before getting into the lobby and being called a noob for using that gun! 

Another time was talking to my mate over the comms but he wouldn't respond for some reason... Only to find a few seconds later he has lagged round the whole map and taken out the entire enemy team! Very bad connection but very funny at the time watching it happen. :Lol: 

Good times...

I like your signature.  Dunno if you've noticed but I said in the General Chat thread that I'm looking to change the image at the top of SOCOM HQ.  Do you still have the assets from when you made that sig?  I'm having a time tracking down an image of just the game title.

yaster's Streambadge
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 55 (950 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Yaster wrote:

sovak wrote:

Good times...

I like your signature.  Dunno if you've noticed but I said in the General Chat thread that I'm looking to change the image at the top of SOCOM HQ.  Do you still have the assets from when you made that sig?  I'm having a time tracking down an image of just the game title.

Hiya Yaster, sovaks sig is part of a batch that were done for TNW by mattsimmo,I`m sure he`s got all the assets you need,give him a shout. To be honest there isn`t much artwork around for the game apart from a few screenshots and the boxart. The image of the squad is below if it`s any use ...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 55 (932 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Yaster quick search of google look what i found http://www.google.co.uk/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en&gl=uk&client=safari&q=socom%20special%... special forces title
DeludedGaming the best gaming site around
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 55 (928 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

btw yaster we already talked about the betas :smileytongue: don't know if you got any updates that we should know

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 55 (912 Views)
0 Kudos