Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

SOCOM - Lets Reminisce

[ Edited ]
54 Replies 1,225 Views edited 19-03-2011

Hey all.

Well the release of SOCOM Special Forces is upon us and conversation is hotting up in here.  I notice that we still have many players from the early SOCOM titles still posting in here who feel very passionate about the game, so I felt it appropriate to begin a topic on your experiences over the last 8 years.

I'm wanting you to prove your old school SOCOM credentials by giving us your stories of the "good old days" for this franchise that kicked off the PlayStation franchise in the online gaming world.

Doesn't matter if you only started playing with Confrontation, only played the Fireteam Bravo games or even started with SOCOM 1.  Do you have any tales of your best matches, ever cleaned up an entire team of elite soldiers by yourself in Suppression?  Has it ever come down to the last second in the 11th round before the outcome of a match has been decided?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
yaster's Streambadge
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

SlickShoes

91%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SlickShoes
Accepted Solution

SOCOM 1, my mother in law got me it for christmas because my dad had bought me a router since we had just got broadband.

My first memory of SOCOM is sitting with my mate and going to play online, we both were excited. Started up the game and the map was abandoned, we thought it looked amazing. Next we heard people talking on the headset, this was AMAZING. Then we managed to work out that everyone in the game was a real person, this completely blew us away and I was then completely addicted. Up until that day I was a casual gamer and that day changed my life.

I ended up writing a critique of SOCOM2 as part of my job application at Rockstar North. I ended up getting the job and working on San Andreas on every platform and even an expansion for it that was never actually released to the public.

After that I got jobs in IT and now run the games development labs at a Uni.

Pretty much all of that is because I got SOCOM1  for Christmas 2003.

THANKS SOCOM! xx

PS. The funniest moment was when my Mrs was over on Boxing day, and in a game I was playing she had the headset on, this player called "Kingfries" had an idea that everyone should lie down so that the other team thought we were dead, i watched from behind and up a hill as him and his mates all tried this and died pretty much instantly. My wife and I still laugh about that to this day.

0 Kudos

Re: SOCOM - Lets Reminisce

[ Edited ]
PSN: SlickShoes
Steam: Skiiba
/16

sovak

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sovak
Accepted Solution

My dad actually got me into online gaming by buying a network adapter for the PS2 because he wanted to play world championship snooker online :Lol:

As there was no one online the only other game I could think of was socom 2 with the headset. I actually rented it first and I will always remember getting into my first game on fish hook and straight away someone was dancing on another persons body, from that day I was addicted!

Good times were being the last person on the seal team with a IW! There were around 6 of them left and I took them all out to win the game :Winner: I was very happy with myself before getting into the lobby and being called a noob for using that gun! 

Another time was talking to my mate over the comms but he wouldn't respond for some reason... Only to find a few seconds later he has lagged round the whole map and taken out the entire enemy team! Very bad connection but very funny at the time watching it happen. :Lol: 

Good times...

I'm with PS plus but not a beta trialist.

/16

fkafly

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fkafly
Accepted Solution

i never got to play the early socoms.   and have only recently got a ps3.. but i bgot confrontation for a fiver, and i cant get off the ps3 now....

0 Kudos

/16

born2destroy

95%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
born2destroy
Accepted Solution
Well where do i start from? I know socom1 :) absolute beast of a game and the best entry for a series i have ever seen i bougt this on the uk release date and played through the singplayer campaign and i loved it, i then seen it had network play so i went straight out to the shop and bought a network adapter and set up my online. From then on all i can say is i dont remember i was that mezmorised. The game that followed socom2 was definatly to me the best socom i have ever played and still play it to date and still loving it. 3 and CA introduced vehicles this was a change but the socm feel was still there and i still loved it. Confrontation was the first entry on ps3 and i was shocked that it wasnt zipper making it but from videos it looked a good game :) it was released in USA and Asia and not the eu because the game was broke i was not having that so i imported it to the UK and played it so much even though it was broke the patches came and things got better the dlc was great and the remastered maps from the old socoms were brilliant. During these times i purchase socom ftb 1,2,3 and TS. I love socom and socom is my life if this franchise died it would be the end of my gamig days i could not live without it :-/ but i know the support socom has this game will never die. On all of these Socoms i have met good old vets from the s1 & 2 days i have met new noobs who are enjoying the games as much as i did from the start. I thank all the socom community, developers and sony for brining this amazing game to my livingroom :) i salute you. The one game i remember was On socom 2 fish hook, it was 8v8 and 7 of my team mates had been destroyed and it was down to me to win this tie breaker, i just remember the gun fights and out skilling them move like a navy seal i really felt like i was i. The game one mistake and boom its all over, my heart was pounding and i whiped out one or two and then got a double kill with my well placed grenade, i took cover And flanked them to take out another two it was 1v1 my heart was racing i seen him took the shot and got a headshot then i heard all my team mates down the mic applauding me and cheering it was so exciting and this was socom and what socom should never lose (forget this and its not even socom any more) as for socom 4 i believe this feel is still there and really want this game to be a success like its predecessors. Socom, Zipper, /6, Sony i thank you all and wish the best for the future with socom i will be hear for aslong as i live. I <3 Socom
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Yaster

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Yaster
Accepted Solution

sovak wrote:

My dad actually got me into online gaming by buying a network adapter for the PS2 because he wanted to play world championship snooker online :Lol:

As there was no one online the only other game I could think of was socom 2 with the headset. I actually rented it first and I will always remember getting into my first game on fish hook and straight away someone was dancing on another persons body, from that day I was addicted!

Good times were being the last person on the seal team with a IW! There were around 6 of them left and I took them all out to win the game :Winner: I was very happy with myself before getting into the lobby and being called a noob for using that gun! 

Another time was talking to my mate over the comms but he wouldn't respond for some reason... Only to find a few seconds later he has lagged round the whole map and taken out the entire enemy team! Very bad connection but very funny at the time watching it happen. :Lol: 

Good times...

I like your signature.  Dunno if you've noticed but I said in the General Chat thread that I'm looking to change the image at the top of SOCOM HQ.  Do you still have the assets from when you made that sig?  I'm having a time tracking down an image of just the game title.

0 Kudos

yaster's Streambadge
Beta Tester
/16

gonzoyid

• Beta Tester
72%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gonzoyid
Accepted Solution

Yaster wrote:

sovak wrote:

Good times...

I like your signature.  Dunno if you've noticed but I said in the General Chat thread that I'm looking to change the image at the top of SOCOM HQ.  Do you still have the assets from when you made that sig?  I'm having a time tracking down an image of just the game title.

Hiya Yaster, sovaks sig is part of a batch that were done for TNW by mattsimmo,I`m sure he`s got all the assets you need,give him a shout. To be honest there isn`t much artwork around for the game apart from a few screenshots and the boxart. The image of the squad is below if it`s any use ...

0 Kudos

/16

born2destroy

95%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
born2destroy
Accepted Solution
Yaster quick search of google look what i found http://www.google.co.uk/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en&gl=uk&client=safari&q=socom%20special%... special forces title
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

mennik

• Award Winner
84%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mennik
Accepted Solution

btw yaster we already talked about the betas :p don't know if you got any updates that we should know

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

Yaster

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Yaster
Accepted Solution

mennik wrote:

btw yaster we already talked about the betas :p don't know if you got any updates that we should know

I will

But why not join in with the reminiscing?  it will make it easier to keep a track of your name.

0 Kudos

yaster's Streambadge
Award Winner
/16

mennik

• Award Winner
84%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mennik
Accepted Solution

I did look at the third post :p I will upload my famous avatar later :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

Yaster

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Yaster
Accepted Solution
Ah right, I see you now.
0 Kudos

yaster's Streambadge
Beta Tester
/16

JimmyJumble

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JimmyJumble
Accepted Solution

I can honestly say that over 7 years, there prolly really has been too many memories.

M60 charges were [ZP]'s staple nearing the end of SOCOM 2. Vid HERE :P

Messing around with claymores, PMN's and shotguns. HERE

Annnd Messing around with vehicles and bumping into people as they placed conrol points as it would reset them entertained us. =P

Beta Tester
/16

I_SCAR_I

• Beta Tester
89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
I_SCAR_I
Accepted Solution

JimmyJumble wrote:

I can honestly say that over 7 years, there prolly really has been too many memories.

M60 charges were [ZP]'s staple nearing the end of SOCOM 2. Vid HERE :P

Messing around with claymores, PMN's and shotguns. HERE

Annnd Messing around with vehicles and bumping into people as they placed conrol points as it would reset them entertained us. =P

I actually get quite choked up sometimes reminiscing about SOCOM.

Super Geek, I know! :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

/16

sovak

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sovak
Accepted Solution

gonzoyid wrote:

Yaster wrote:

sovak wrote:

Good times...

Hiya Yaster, sovaks sig is part of a batch that were done for TNW by mattsimmo,I`m sure he`s got all the assets you need,give him a shout. To be honest there isn`t much artwork around for the game apart from a few screenshots and the boxart. The image of the squad is below if it`s any use ...

Yeah Matt has done most of TNW sigs, he is very good at it as well. Did he do the one that is top of socom HQ?  First time i seen it anyway.

0 Kudos

/16

Captain_Cabinet

89%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Captain_Cabinet
Accepted Solution

Unfortunately Confrontation was my first SOCOM.  Although I had a PS2 and went online I only really played PES on there.

For all the slating Confrontation received I can honestly say it turned me into a proper gamer.  I ,must have spent 500 hours on there ranked and unranked and that doesn't account for sitting in lobbies or quick match parties!

The game also introduced me to the whole clan concept and I couldn't have played with a better bunch of lads than the [SOD]s.

As for memories the night my girlfriend went to bed and I agreed to have 1 more game at 11ish then when I went to get up to go to bed it was fully light and about 5AM has always stuck with me, she wasn't happy!

We have had some epic clan matches with the guys from [TNW] and [ETW] and made some ridiculous videos with claymores etc which I will link if I can find it!

..............................................................................................................

Challenge SOD

/16

Vyper82

85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Vyper82
Accepted Solution

Captain_Cabinet wrote:

Unfortunately Confrontation was my first SOCOM.  Although I had a PS2 and went online I only really played PES on there.

For all the slating Confrontation received I can honestly say it turned me into a proper gamer.  I ,must have spent 500 hours on there ranked and unranked and that doesn't account for sitting in lobbies or quick match parties!

The game also introduced me to the whole clan concept and I couldn't have played with a better bunch of lads than the [SOD]s.

As for memories the night my girlfriend went to bed and I agreed to have 1 more game at 11ish then when I went to get up to go to bed it was fully light and about 5AM has always stuck with me, she wasn't happy!

We have had some epic clan matches with the guys from [TNW] and [ETW] and made some ridiculous videos with claymores etc which I will link if I can find it!

Hopefully we can start having epic clan matches again on Socom 4. I miss those matches we used to have, 2 hours of pure heart thumping action :smileytongue:

Beta Tester
/16

Smokybacon

• Beta Tester
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Smokybacon
Accepted Solution

I went into a GAME store at 9am on Friday 11th June 2003 and bought a network adaptor and a copy of SOCOM. It was a truly epic day.

My first room:

was a DVDF clan room. They had all played the beta for a month or two so were having great fun shooting noobs such as myself.

My first map:

was Abandoned. I charged over the bridges like a mad man as many times as it took me to realise that SOCOM was a different game to most shooting games. I think most people had the back to the drawing board moments.

My first clan:

was the HUCKERS (HKRS). I had called myself (HKRS) Hawkish. They became one of the best non-beta based clans on SOCOM 1.

My second clan:

was >GoodBoyz< and I took the food name Smokybacon. >GB< were named after a popular Chinese restaurant in Chorley, Lancs and I believe the takeaway is still going strong.

The rest is very long.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

craig5320

25%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
craig5320
Accepted Solution
Just found these forums, as I'd left my region as US and been hanging out at the socom.com forums. Shame on me!

I picked up a PS3 and confrontation at Christmas, my first experience was spending £100 in HMV to get Socom 1 with Headset and a Network adapter. Back in the crazy days of console networking does anyone remember trying to get 5 green lights! sitting there as they ticked through I got three! awwww it failed. I remember as I assembled my team of friends, we would visit the next recruits house and install network cables and attempt to get 5 green lights. I think the biggest challenge we faced was AOL broadband, I think it took about 6 hours and 4 of us messing with it before we achieved 5 green lights.

I think I was lucky in that Socom landed in my University days, late nights, skipping lectures and of course the obligatory drunk 3am socom. What followed were many years of enjoyment of both Socom 1 and Socom 2. I'll admit sadly I was corrupted and turned to the dark side. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for 360. It didn't provide the excitement of socom, but the next gen graphics were hard to resist. What followed was game after game from GRAW, SWAT, Rainbow Six Vegas, COD4, Vegas 2, World at War, MW2, and finally Black Ops, I was like a hobo going from game to game never finding a home.

Finally I have come full circle, have been blasting away on Confrontation for the last 3 months, and realising why on Earth didn't I invest in a PS3 sooner. The excitement as I first landed in Crossroads, the thrill as I started remembering I can no longer willfully run down a corridor without expecting a guy waiting to unload his clip at me just as I get a few metres away.

I am ready. I am able. I am back.
0 Kudos

crilly

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
crilly
Accepted Solution

The first map I ever played was Blizzard the first person who ever killed me was EVL blackbird been spending many a hour in the dead zone since god knows when

I want Abandoned to be ressurected  !

0 Kudos

/16

OsamaBinLiner69

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
OsamaBinLiner69
Accepted Solution

I haven't got time to read everyone's stories and I certainly haven't got the time to write my own. For certain nobody would have the time to read mine as I'm sure it would go on for hours.

But in short, just reading a few lines of a few posts gives you a sense of just what this game has meant to so many people. Unfortunately as the title of this post suggests, reminising is something you do of a fond memory of something that has past.

But why of why, when people feel as they do about Socom, would Zipper then go and destroy the game as we know it. The early reports on the US forums about the beta are, how shall we put it? Awful. Most people seem to be suggesting that they will not be buying the game when it comes out.

This leaves me in something close to meltdown. Most people's stats measure their playing time in hours, mine is in days. I have over 250,000 kills over the socom series and have played no other game for more than a month since Socom came out.

So what the bleep do I do now?

I hate COD, MOH and all the other wannabes. Socom was the original and best, the only 3rd person shooter and the only one that has got a community.

What a shame that Zipper have decided that we don't count

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel