60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Sad excuse for a Socom game

26 Replies 896 Views Created 26-03-2011

Can someone please explain to me what kind of game this is because its not Socom lol, the things I find funny is the classic mode, again I don't see anything that is classic about it, I thought after Confrontation this one would be a bonus, but to be honest I would rather go back to playing confrontation.

Why do they put things in it to do with Call Of Duty, I mean come on, are you guys really going lower your self to that bunch lol, no offence. Well I aint going to rant on more because there seems to be enough of that going on in here, wonder why lol.

Come on Zipper wake up, do your self a favor and start listening to your Socom vets or this game will die to.

Bring Socom Back To Its Roots

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

JammyMuffin

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JammyMuffin
Accepted Solution
It is very much a Socom game and imo better then most shooters out there on the market and infinitely better then Confrontation. I really don't get a lot of this hate that gears towards this idea it's not Socom, it absolutely feels like Socom 0_o. Aiming is a bit different I guess, but the aiming on socom 1, socom 2, socom 3 and Confrontation were all different so...

It's definitely nothing like COD once you start playing clan matches and stuff, and to be honest I don't want open rooms to be all that over serious.

Re: Sad excuse for a Socom game

Beta Tester
/16

KingStevie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KingStevie
Accepted Solution

JammyMuffin wrote:
It is very much a Socom game and imo better then most shooters out there on the market and infinitely better then Confrontation. I really don't get a lot of this hate that gears towards this idea it's not Socom, it absolutely feels like Socom 0_o. Aiming is a bit different I guess, but the aiming on socom 1, socom 2, socom 3 and Confrontation were all different so...

It's definitely nothing like COD once you start playing clan matches and stuff, and to be honest I don't want open rooms to be all that over serious.

Best post ive read on here for ages

0 Kudos

/16

x_HellsFuture_x

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
x_HellsFuture_x
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

/16

x_HellsFuture_x

24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
x_HellsFuture_x
Accepted Solution

the more i play this beta the less i like it. As far as shooters go it will be good. but its not a socom game. & trust me it is very much like cod, but with a socom title and uncharted cover system. If you buy this game get it 2nd hand of ebay so Zipper dont get your support/money or positive sales figures.

You will get bored of this game very quickly.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

KingStevie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KingStevie
Accepted Solution

I think its more like gt5 think i saw a car on one of the maps you see

0 Kudos

/16

TheGaffer57

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheGaffer57
Accepted Solution

The game would have been better received if they'd hae just re-released confrontation with better graphics its seems, people not prepared for change.

0 Kudos

/16

WillPG1212

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WillPG1212
Accepted Solution
@TheGaffer57

you say that like every change is better... some changes make it worst, and theres alot of those in S4...
0 Kudos

/16

born2destroy

95%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
born2destroy
Accepted Solution
Sorry this is a new title called special forces XD this is just not socom its addicted mag/cod campers socom isnt a camping game XD
0 Kudos

/16

TheGaffer57

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheGaffer57
Accepted Solution

WillPG1212 wrote:
@TheGaffer57

you say that like every change is better... some changes make it worst, and theres alot of those in S4...

No, I am merely saying there are some people who like things the way they are and are not receptive to any change whatsoever.

0 Kudos

/16

RotorHed

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RotorHed
Accepted Solution

SOCOM – 2,541,340 units (including headset SKU)
SOCOM II – 2,024,440 units
SOCOM 3 – 1,119,015 units
SOCOM: Combined Assault - 415,350 units
SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo (PSP) - 707,444 units
SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 2 (PSP) - 263,499 units

OK, so SOCOM 2 was sold when the PS2 had sold a lot so a bigger user base.

If S2 were a new release for PS3 today would it seel 2mil? I doubt it. Sooooo, is SOCOM 4 the game to sell 2 mil over its lifetime?

Reality is Zipper/Sony are trying to get the sales on an upward trend - if they need to steal ideas from other popular franchises then they're going to do that. Alienation of some vocal people on SOCOM.com is irrelevant to them in the grand scheme of things.

Personally, I like this game with a SOCOM badge. 

Rotor.

TacticalGaming.net - home of Tactical Gaming

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Vyper82

85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Vyper82
Accepted Solution

RotorHed wrote:

If S2 were a new release for PS3 today would it seel 2mil? I doubt it. Sooooo, is SOCOM 4 the game to sell 2 mil over its lifetime?

Reality is Zipper/Sony are trying to get the sales on an upward trend - if they need to steal ideas from other popular franchises then they're going to do that. Alienation of some vocal people on SOCOM.com is irrelevant to them in the grand scheme of things.

Rotor.

Don't ever say you like this game because 1. your not allowed to have a positive opinion 2. the resident forum trolls will come out of their caves to get you  :smileytongue:

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

JimmyJumble

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JimmyJumble
Accepted Solution

Vyper82 wrote:

RotorHed wrote:

Rotor.

Don't ever say you like this game because 1. your not allowed to have a positive opinion 2. the resident forum trolls will come out of their caves to get you  :smileytongue:

*Yawn*

There's having an opinion and speaking that opinion, whether positive or negative and then there's being a complete and utter dullard. I know which i'd rather be.

0 Kudos

/16

Vyper82

85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Vyper82
Accepted Solution

I can't believe someone actually took the bait  :Lol:

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

JimmyJumble

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JimmyJumble
Accepted Solution

Vyper82 wrote:

I can't believe someone actually took the bait  :Lol:

Fine...don't retort with an intelligent arguement then.

Win with emooooooooooooticons. :Winner:

0 Kudos

/16

Vyper82

85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Vyper82
Accepted Solution

I'm disappointed you decided to reply tbh, as when I thought about who is a forum troll you wasn't on the list.

I know not everyone will like this game, everyone has their own definition of what a socom game should be but the "trolls" I was referring to are the ones that just seem to swear/give abuse/ be self righteous to anyone who thinks differently to them.

Back at ya....Win with emooooooooooooticons.   :Winner:  :Sniper:

0 Kudos

/16

Dannehkins

99%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dannehkins
Accepted Solution
I actually had a go of confrontation after I came off the beta and for me, it showed how better SOCOM 4 played in comparison to Confrontation.

Beta Tester
/16

JimmyJumble

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JimmyJumble
Accepted Solution

Vyper82 wrote:

I'm disappointed you decided to reply tbh, as when I thought about who is a forum troll you wasn't on the list.

I know not everyone will like this game, everyone has their own definition of what a socom game should be but the "trolls" I was referring to are the ones that just seem to swear/give abuse/ be self righteous to anyone who thinks differently to them.

I know the forum a lot better than you and i haven't seen a single troll, just people voicing their concerns and disapointment.

Just because someone has a negative opionion on something doesn't mean they are a troll, in the same way just because someone is positive about something, doesn't make them a fanboy.

Believe it or not, there is middle ground.

Most people are looking for certain changes to the game, to make it better, which is being positive and not just moaning for the sake of it.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Bumblebee

• Beta Tester
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Bumblebee
Accepted Solution

I'm a SOCOM vet from the SOCOM 1 beta, through the SOCOM 2 beta to S2, hated S3 and think Confrontation is OK but it has terrible niggles that should have been ironed out, like the poor control scheme and lack of doors, maps and decent lobbies.

But SOCOM 4: Special Needs I think is a reasonable game BUT it is NOT A GREAT SOCOM GAME.

The controls and graphics are better than Confrontation, but SOCOM (2) was about the COMMUNITY. About tight, sociable, exciting games. 8 v 8 was ideal, and I know there is an option for 8 v 8 here but it's buried under a blanket that is emblazoned with "LOOK AT ME, I AM A BIT LIKE CALL OF DUTY NOW" when really, it should be saying "Do you remember how great SOCOM 2 was? WELL CHECK THIS SHIZZ OUT".

Sadly, instead of this it's saying "We have moved on, and this is better because we say it is so DEAL WITH IT".

It's a game that disregards everything that made SOCOM 2 so, SO great. So yeah... it's a decent game. But it's not a decent SOCOM game. 

And I think that those who think otherwise weren't there "back in the day". Because you HAD to be there, part of it, on the cusp of Online Console Gaming, and a part of that close-knit community, to REALLY get what people are saying when they say "this is not a great SOCOM game". 

SOCOM 2 was nothing like Call of Duty, for example. But SOCOM: Special Needs certainly has an eye on CoD... and the wrong parts. Quick Play? Meh. Part of the joy of SOCOM was finding "good" rooms, where someone who knows there stuff had picked a fine selection of maps, gameplay types and options. And rooms with your countrymen, where we all had Something In Common other than our choice of game or console. Did it rain today? Likely it did for your fellow gamers. Did some crazy nonsense happen in Eastenders, or in the news? Someone in your room will know about it too. We had a Bond. We were Brothers In Arms.

In SOCOM: Special Needs we're all lumped together willy-nilly in silly game-types, more often than not with people that you don't just have nothing in common to talk about, but they don't even talk your language.

It's a huge error in judgement. You may love the game, sure. It's quite well done in places. But the fact is, Veterans of SOCOM 2 will KNOW how much better it could have been if certain decisions had been made. Decisions like "let's make this more like SOCOM 2... FOR THE FANS!" rather than "Let's make this more like Call of Duty... FOR THE MONEY!"

/16

BASSX

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BASSX
Accepted Solution

Well said Bumble

0 Kudos

/16

shankly1985

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shankly1985
Accepted Solution

I haven't even played socom 2 and I totally agree with you.

Bumblebee wrote:

I'm a SOCOM vet from the SOCOM 1 beta, through the SOCOM 2 beta to S2, hated S3 and think Confrontation is OK but it has terrible niggles that should have been ironed out, like the poor control scheme and lack of doors, maps and decent lobbies.

But SOCOM 4: Special Needs I think is a reasonable game BUT it is NOT A GREAT SOCOM GAME.

The controls and graphics are better than Confrontation, but SOCOM (2) was about the COMMUNITY. About tight, sociable, exciting games. 8 v 8 was ideal, and I know there is an option for 8 v 8 here but it's buried under a blanket that is emblazoned with "LOOK AT ME, I AM A BIT LIKE CALL OF DUTY NOW" when really, it should be saying "Do you remember how great SOCOM 2 was? WELL CHECK THIS SHIZZ OUT".

Sadly, instead of this it's saying "We have moved on, and this is better because we say it is so DEAL WITH IT".

It's a game that disregards everything that made SOCOM 2 so, SO great. So yeah... it's a decent game. But it's not a decent SOCOM game. 

And I think that those who think otherwise weren't there "back in the day". Because you HAD to be there, part of it, on the cusp of Online Console Gaming, and a part of that close-knit community, to REALLY get what people are saying when they say "this is not a great SOCOM game". 

SOCOM 2 was nothing like Call of Duty, for example. But SOCOM: Special Needs certainly has an eye on CoD... and the wrong parts. Quick Play? Meh. Part of the joy of SOCOM was finding "good" rooms, where someone who knows there stuff had picked a fine selection of maps, gameplay types and options. And rooms with your countrymen, where we all had Something In Common other than our choice of game or console. Did it rain today? Likely it did for your fellow gamers. Did some crazy nonsense happen in Eastenders, or in the news? Someone in your room will know about it too. We had a Bond. We were Brothers In Arms.

In SOCOM: Special Needs we're all lumped together willy-nilly in silly game-types, more often than not with people that you don't just have nothing in common to talk about, but they don't even talk your language.

It's a huge error in judgement. You may love the game, sure. It's quite well done in places. But the fact is, Veterans of SOCOM 2 will KNOW how much better it could have been if certain decisions had been made. Decisions like "let's make this more like SOCOM 2... FOR THE FANS!" rather than "Let's make this more like Call of Duty... FOR THE MONEY!"

Case: Corsair Carbide 540/MB: Asus P8Z77 WS/CPU: i7 2600k/GPU: 2X MSI 290s Gaming/Cooling: Corsair H80i/Ram: Kingston HyperX 16GB/PSU: Superflower 1000w Plat / 2TB Seagate Sata3 HDD+250GB Samsung Evo/Audio: Asus Xonar D2X/Philips Fidelio x1
ROCCAT Ryos MK Glow Mechanical / Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Steam-shankly1985 - Psn-shankly1985
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel