25 Mar 2011
Playstation Staff

Why SOCOM 2?

19 Replies 1,007 Views Created 25-03-2011

Just out of curiosity, why do all the vets keep talking about SOCOM 2? Why does no-one ever mention SOCOM 3???

Surely, being the sequel, SOCOM 3 would have been the one most of you have played????  :Confused:

Sweet: Num-num-numbers!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20 (1,007 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: Why SOCOM 2?

Socom 2 because just about everything in the game was perfect apart from hit detection which wasnt the best :-/ it was a wonderful game :smileyhappy: socom 3 was great to but they introduced vehicles and the maps were huge, still a great game but socom 2 was the best of all of them and the one i enjoyed the most
DeludedGaming the best gaming site around
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20 (997 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

born2destroy wrote:
socom 3 was great to but they introduced vehicles and the maps were huge

As soon as I read that, I was like "That explains it!"  :smileyvery-happy:

Zipper aren't very good with their shopping-trolley car physics  :Lol:

Sweet: Haze had the worst car physics EVER.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20 (997 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Rave-nhill wrote:
Troll, *****, your getting boring now....

Me:

6000+ posts.

2 years on the forums.

Well-known regular in the GD section.

Has in the past regularly participated in official OPC forum events.

You:

Around 50 posts.

One look at your profile shows that almost all of those are trolling other forumers.

Here's looking at you, Troll  :xLol:

Sweet: Eating a Yoghurt.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20 (912 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

People look back at Socom 2 with rose tinted glasses a bit, forget about the amount of lag it suffered from, the hit detection, cheats, weapon imbalance, fail ranks etc.

The core gameplay though is still far better then anything else, it balanced camping / attacking perfect, it required teamwork but also had enough emphasis on individual skill. Every single map was designed brilliantly and played well etc. The community was awesome as it was pretty much the only worth while PS2 online game. No yanks etc etc.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20 (904 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

JammyMuffin wrote:
People look back at Socom 2 with rose tinted glasses a bit, forget about the amount of lag it suffered from, the hit detection, cheats, weapon imbalance, fail ranks etc.

The core gameplay though is still far better then anything else, it balanced camping / attacking perfect, it required teamwork but also had enough emphasis on individual skill. Every single map was designed brilliantly and played well etc. The community was awesome as it was pretty much the only worth while PS2 online game. No yanks etc etc.

The bold part was issues, but remember that games was on PS2, and at that time the internet and peoples connection wasn't exaclty top notch.

The cheats was nearly impossible to stop in the end, as the PS2 didn't have a harddrive.

Zipper worked on and realesed a few patches, but these had to be downloaded and stored on a... 8 mb memory card.

There's just so much you can do with that.

But I remember especially having played Socom 3 for a while and went back to Socom 2. I couldn't stand the hit detection, it was so much better in Socom 3, which wasn't perfect.

Watch these classics or burn in Socom hell!
FoxRoads Glory - Foxhunting
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20 (816 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

As a veteran of the SOCOM 1 beta who loved the game, and SOCOM 2, and bought SOCOM 3 but spent most of my time with S3 smacking my head in disbelief at the terrible decisions made for that game, I feel qualified to talk a little about why SOCOM 2 was so great.

SOCOM 2 was an 8 v 8 online shooter. 8 v 8 games were ideal. The amount of people in a room meant that you would get to know people by their voices, which made the whole "community feel" all the more fantastic. S3 had 16 v 16 which meant far more people, which meant the voices tended to get lost in the crowd. S3's maps were also far too big and whereas in SOCOM it felt like one player could make a difference - for example, protecting the hostages against the opposing team when your fellow team members had died (or were useless), or sometimes being able to take the whole opposing team down against the odds... this was far more unlikely in 16 v 16 matches. Furthermore, when each team was down to the last man in S2, it was often gripping watching from the "ghost room", chatting with your fellow team members, watching the last man hiding and/or hunting... in S3 it was boring, the maps were too big and way, WAY too often, in the "last man left" scenario you'd just be watching someone wandering around a FAR too big map with little hope of even running into the opponent by chance. And because the maps were bigger in S3, they were less detailed, much more "open" and far less exciting.

The match lengths were perfect in S2 too... not so long that you'd think "ooh I'd best not start another game" but perfect to make you think "well... I'll squeeze in ONE MORE MATCH before bed"...

Also consider the soundtrack and interface of S2, and even S1... SOCOM 3 just lacked the character, class and charm. From the moment I first fired up S3 all I thought was "uh-oh"... it was nothing, NOTHING compared to the moment S1 first loaded up, and that "watery" opening screen hit with an orchestral burst. I actually MP3'd the music to S1 & 2, so great they were. I wouldn't know S3's music if you bashed me over the head with a room-sized ghetto blaster playing it. Do that to me while playing S2's tunes and I'd die a happy man...

Also, odd as it may be, just the fact you could open and close doors - either softly, or kicking them in - added a fair amount to the gameplay. For example, in Blizzard you could hide in the toilet... that slight interactivity of the door made a huge difference, and it is sad that Confontation didn't bother with it, because there were some fantastic gameplay moments just from that one small feature. Laziness on the part of Slant Six, I'd say. It was quite a heart-racing moment when you'd be in a room, last man on your team, and the door would fly open...

But really, it was the increase to 32 players and the map size that wrecked S3 for me.

Sure, the game had problems but at the time you'd be lucky to get a 1MB connection, so it did lag a bit when players had awful connections, but if you knew what you were doing - e.g. don't download stuff on PC while playing and don't play with people far, far away (there was a test where we played with some of our friends in the Far East at one point and the lag was AWFUL) it could be AMAZING at times. I'd say I've not played a game since that has evoked the feelings that S2 did, and I made friends in that game I'm still in contact with today... and we're all STILL WAITING for the next SOCOM 2. Or, SOCOM 2 in HD.

SOCOM 3, Combined Assault and even Confrontation just didn't "get" what made SOCOM 2 so special.

And, sadly, neither does SOCOM 4.

You'd think Zipper would listen to their community but instead of listening they seem to be trying to kill it. I suspect that the devs at Zipper don't actually play their games. They can be proud of their "network code" which has been pretty decent since SOCOM 1, but the actual gameplay refinements that they have needed have taken massive strides BACKWARDS since S2.

For one, I wish they'd stuck to  8 v 8 on small, tight maps with no respawn and decent regionalised lobbies.

There's certainly a gap in the market for it if any devs are out there. Zipper don't want to make another SOCOM 2, they wan't to make "SOCOM Special Needs"... so please, talented devs, take a look at what the SOCOM 2 community are after and RIP OFF SOCOM 2!

It was flawed by lag but it is still my favourite game in thirty years of gaming. It even ran alright on my B/C PS3 and I tried to play it but sadly it was plagued by filthy cheating scum in the later years.

I lost a couple of summers to SOCOM 2 and it saddens me that I will never have that thrill of firing it up and entering a game with my friends again because Zipper just don't care enough to listen to what the gamers want. Such a shame.

So, in summary:

S2 had 8 v 8 players, which gave the game a more "friendly" vibe and made it easier to "get to know" your fellow gamers.

The maps were smaller and game length shorter which meant for tighter gameplay, making it VERY addictive.

The music and presentation had a certain class that has been lacking in all SOCOMs since.

Everything that has happened since SOCOM 2 has been a step backwards. I HATE 16 v 16 games, even in Confrontation, because you do feel "lost in a crowd" compared to the tight community feel of the 8 v 8 S1/S2 games. 

Oh, how I pine for S2. And I'm not the only one. So there's a gap in the market, like I said. A gap that Zipper don't care about... all they seem to care about is the false equation that "bigger = better". It doesn't. That, and Call of Duty's sales figures. 

Such a shame, because a refined, honed, tight, smooth, HD SOCOM 2 with less lag than back in the day, tighter controls and REGIONALISED LOBBIES would RULE ALL.

Ah well. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (776 Views)
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I laugh at all this hate. Happens with every game this generation and it really is bad for the industry with carbon-copies of other games. It's on every forum, with members liking the previous iterations (Killzone 2 over Killzone 3, Killzone 1 over Killzone 2, Call of Duty 2 instead of Call of Duty 4, Crysis over Crysis 2, Battlefield 2 over Bad Company 2, San Andreas over IV I could go on).

Thing is we're in the minority. And it's not Zipper's fault. EVERYONE IS COPYING the Call of Duty model and I understand why. Over a billion pound of income, who doesn't want a bit of that. But they're screwing their fans with this *****. 

Meh in around 5 years, people will be complaining about SOCOM 6:Modern Ops Forces not being like SOCOM 4.

I've just learnt to live with it.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (673 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Big_Boss_001 wrote:

I laugh at all this hate. Happens with every game this generation and it really is bad for the industry with carbon-copies of other games. It's on every forum, with members liking the previous iterations (Killzone 2 over Killzone 3, Killzone 1 over Killzone 2, Call of Duty 2 instead of Call of Duty 4, Crysis over Crysis 2, Battlefield 2 over Bad Company 2, San Andreas over IV I could go on).

Thing is we're in the minority. And it's not Zipper's fault. EVERYONE IS COPYING the Call of Duty model and I understand why. Over a billion pound of income, who doesn't want a bit of that. But they're screwing their fans with this *****. 

Meh in around 5 years, people will be complaining about SOCOM 6:Modern Ops Forces not being like SOCOM 4.

I've just learnt to live with it.

^This, to be honest.

Sweet: The pattern of the patternless.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20 (668 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos