Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 76

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

30 May 2012
By ytevo79

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

[ Edited ]
22 Replies 631 Views edited 30-05-2012

What can only be described as the ultimate Doom SKU is heading to Xbox 360 and PS3 later this year.

 

Called Doom 3 BFG Edition, the pack will include Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3 and Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil.

 

As you’d expect, graphics and controls have been fully revamped for the move to console. There’s also new content in the form of a brand new previously “lost” mission for Doom 3 that contains seven new levels and a new boss battle.

 

"A number of companies have done these 'retro projects' but we're trying to do something with new content," Id’s Tim Willits told Polygon. " We have all the games. We tried to make the offering the best we can."

 

And yes, before you ask, players WILL be able to use their gun and flashlight at the same time. There are other tweaks too, including an increased amount of available ammo, more light and improved checkpointing.

 

A release date has not yet been announced.


http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/id-announces-doom-3-bfg-edition/096920

 

 

And yes, before you ask, players WILL be able to use their gun and flashlight at the same time. There are other tweaks too, including an increased amount of available ammo, more light and improved checkpointing.

 

Sweeet, sounds how it should have been :) Still I enjoyed the game, it just didn't quite have that classic DOOM feel to it though.

Reply
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
12
/16

dannyjt

  • Offline
88%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dannyjt
Accepted Solution
Hopefully, this means we're closer to DOOM 4.

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

TonightWeRide2.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/people_of_the_honey

03
/16

FooFan73

  • Offline
90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

I think I've just orgasmed

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

Photobucket
Beta Tester
10
/16

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

dannyjt wrote:
Hopefully, this means we're closer to DOOM 4.

 

Knowing Id its a way of saying we wont be seeing Doom 4 for a while yet :( They're like Valve and its ready when its ready. Well they want to be hurrying up this gen! I'd hate to wait another several years..

 

 

FooFan73 wrote:

I think I've just orgasmed

 

I nearly said you and me both, but this is a family forum, I think I'll refrain :Lol:

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

12
/16

dannyjt

  • Offline
88%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dannyjt
Accepted Solution

ytevo79 wrote:

dannyjt wrote:
Hopefully, this means we're closer to DOOM 4.

 

Knowing Id its a way of saying we wont be seeing Doom 4 for a while yet :( They're like Valve and its ready when its ready. Well they want to be hurrying up this gen! I'd hate to wait another several years..



Though they now have Bethesda in charge.

 

This could be a way to get people's interest up for DOOM 4, to bring in some new fans who might have missed them the first time round because they were too young and such.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

TonightWeRide2.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/people_of_the_honey

02
/16

The-Sea-Trout

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
The-Sea-Trout
Accepted Solution

I never properly played Doom 3 so this all good for me.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

Beta Tester
10
/16

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

dannyjt wrote:

ytevo79 wrote:

dannyjt wrote:
Hopefully, this means we're closer to DOOM 4.

 

Knowing Id its a way of saying we wont be seeing Doom 4 for a while yet :( They're like Valve and its ready when its ready. Well they want to be hurrying up this gen! I'd hate to wait another several years..



Though they now have Bethesda in charge.

 

This could be a way to get people's interest up for DOOM 4, to bring in some new fans who might have missed them the first time round because they were too young and such.


 

Yeah but they still operate under their own rule like Dice do and are free to do as they like.

 

But you could be right, its been a long time, and BFG is a great way to introduce new people. I'm ok with waiting, and this package will help me a long a little while longer.

 

 

The-Sea-Trout wrote:

I never properly played Doom 3 so this all good for me.

 

At least you'll get to play the the better version. The fact that you had to switch from torch, to gun to see or shoot in most places was rather frustrating so having them both together is how it should have been in the first place. Yeah it added to the tension, but it lost that fast paced action that Doom was known for :( Still a great game to play though.

 

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

Beta Tester
10
/16

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution

Up for preorder on Shopto for £27.85 with trailer as well ;) GO!

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

02
/16

BlueSkiesXXV

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlueSkiesXXV
Accepted Solution

Great news!!! Looking forward to playing this again + with a HD makeover. Also interested to see how the MP looks :)

 

The original DOOM 3 had an awesome co-op mode. Hurrah!!!

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
10
/16

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
PS3 was my first online console so I never played any coop.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

05
/16

existenz1

  • Offline
94%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
existenz1
Accepted Solution

omg omg omg

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

Beta Tester
10
/16

InfiniteStates

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

ytevo79 wrote:

Sweeet, sounds how it should have been :) Still I enjoyed the game, it just didn't quite have that classic DOOM feel to it though.



I don't think it ever will to be honest. That "classic DOOM feel" I imagine is the same as the feeling of GTA 3 on PS2, or the first Monster Hunter game on PS2, or maybe even the same feeling as sailing an ice breaker through a glacier...

 

It's the feeling of pushing in a new direction and breaking new ground, and can't be recreated through samey sequels. I personally think iD are over-rated, in much the same way Infinity Ward are/were. They stumbled upon a commercial success but are oblivious to what makes it successful and have continually moved away from the formula in attempts to recreate it. Simply because they don't actually know what the formula is.

 

Rockstar North on the other hand are fully aware of their formula and continue to reproduce quality in different forms because they are conscious of the underlying abstractions on which that quality is founded.

 

And that is the difference between a truly great developer and one that lucked into greatness.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

Beta Tester
10
/16

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
I meant by it was more Dead Space then Doom. Dark, tight environments, it just lost that fast paced, open space feel that Doom had. I understand that games evolve and move on, but I think Doom 3 was a bit too extreme.

Classed as a reboot rather then a sequel. Unlike Doom 4 which Id have said that like Doom 2, it will take place on Earth, and will feature gameplay more akin to the original Doom games rather than the horror styled gameplay of Doom 3 :)

Either way, you can count me in then :)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

12
/16

dannyjt

  • Offline
88%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dannyjt
Accepted Solution

InfiniteStates wrote:

ytevo79 wrote:

Sweeet, sounds how it should have been :) Still I enjoyed the game, it just didn't quite have that classic DOOM feel to it though.



I don't think it ever will to be honest. That "classic DOOM feel" I imagine is the same as the feeling of GTA 3 on PS2, or the first Monster Hunter game on PS2, or maybe even the same feeling as sailing an ice breaker through a glacier...

 

It's the feeling of pushing in a new direction and breaking new ground, and can't be recreated through samey sequels. I personally think iD are over-rated, in much the same way Infinity Ward are/were. They stumbled upon a commercial success but are oblivious to what makes it successful and have continually moved away from the formula in attempts to recreate it. Simply because they don't actually know what the formula is.

 

Rockstar North on the other hand are fully aware of their formula and continue to reproduce quality in different forms because they are conscious of the underlying abstractions on which that quality is founded.

 

And that is the difference between a truly great developer and one that lucked into greatness.


They should just hire the guys that made Painkiller to make it. Painkiller was essentially what DOOM 3 should haveve been anyway.

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

TonightWeRide2.jpg

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/people_of_the_honey

Beta Tester
05
/16

Yaster

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Yaster
Accepted Solution
I think the Painkiller guys did Bulletstorm.

You should definetly check that one out.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

yaster's Streambadge
Beta Tester
10
/16

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
Ha just had to check some youtube vids out, looks pretty good, shame its PC only though by the looks of it.

It was developed by Polish developers People Can Fly, now a subsidiary of Epic Games.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

06
/16

YorkshirePud82

  • Offline
99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
YorkshirePud82
Accepted Solution
Laugh all you want at the following statement but i only bought this to play Doom 1 and 2!

seriously myself and a mate bought the link cable for the PS1 just so we could link the consolse together for death match and coop! ah those where the days hoofing the spare tv down from upstairs....
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

Oldies can still be goldies
Beta Tester
11
/16

TalllPaul

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
97%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TalllPaul
Accepted Solution
I have never played a DOOM :O
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

06
/16

YorkshirePud82

  • Offline
99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
YorkshirePud82
Accepted Solution

TalllPaul wrote:
I have never played a DOOM :O

 

shame on you sir!

 

my copy arrived today btw if anyone is interested, DOOM 1 and 2 are still real fun to play, circle strafing imps in a room full of barrels with a shotty, it never gets old to me.

 

although its stupid that when you go to play one of the 3 games you have to exit the game to the XMB to start the game again to try another!

 

doom 3 looks good so far the graphics are not as good as they were built up to be, human heads look a bit edgy to me, im sure it would look better on PC but on PS3 its enough to enjoy it. anyone fancy a deathmatch or coop on doom 1 or 2 :D

 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

Oldies can still be goldies
Beta Tester
10
/16

ytevo79

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
I'm in no rush to buy this now I've realised Doom is the original PC versions. I can't play them after playing the much improved '95 version that was on PlayStation with no awful rock music, and better sounds and ambience :)

I might ask for it for Christmas just to see what the improved Doom 3 is like and the extra missions. I never completed Resurrection of Evil either so it saves me digging out my Xbox and playing sub HD as well :)

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

08
/16

mike20036

  • Offline
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mike20036
Accepted Solution
I am really enjoying this game again. Since I completed It on the PC couple of years ago. I don't think I played the lost mission before. I just done doom 3 campaign and now doing resurrection of evil :)
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Id announces Doom 3 BFG Edition

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel