93%
10 Rank
Progress

The Borderlands Bungee Jump!

13 Replies 963 Views Created 24-09-2012
24 Sep 2012
By Bearskopff

BungeeJump.png

On the cold, rainy morn of Sunday just gone, I decided to break my usual pattern of sleeping in till, well, Monday...and instead decided to mosey on over to Brick Lane and join a motley crew of eager gamers and adrenaline junkies. The reason being, the lovely folks over at 2K had arranged an awesome opportunity for people to plummet toward a giant infaltable mattress of sorts from quite a siginifact height - and upon doing so, nabbing themselves easily one of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing this year!

Despite my best intentions of arriving early to be one of the first jumpers, the queue that greeted me was nothing short of astonishing, with at least 600 people ready to show the world their courage! Waiting in line, I got chatting with an ensemble of brilliant and rather nervous people. Not a single sour soul was present; proof then that bad weather can't dampen the spirits of many!

With a bit of waiting involved, the first person was lifted precariously into the air whilst some more official friendly folk handed out goodies, including t-shirts and badges (saving the illusive game for those willing to jump!). Once the lift reached it's peak, the crowd counted down, twice, and then proceeded to repeat 'Jump!??!?!' as loud as their vocal chords could cope - until the inevitable happened...

So that was one down, and many more to go! Despite the best intentions and huge morale of many, the one thing that couldn't be changed for the better was the weather. After a few hours of blistering rain and quite a strong, chilly breeze, the show had to come to a close. However, despite that, it was still great fun and a great opportunity. Talking of fun, be sure to check out our Borderlands 2 thread because if one game is packing vast amounts of fun, it's this!

As ever, big thanks to 2K for arranging such a unique event - and hopefully next time, the weather doesn't interrupt too much!

Bear

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

LAClennell

• Beta Tester
97%
07 Rank
Progress
LAClennell
Accepted Solution

Man, I wish stuff like this would happpen in Newcastle

I would have soo did all that for a free copy!

0 Kudos

Re: The Borderlands Bungee Jump!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TalllPaul

• Beta Tester
97%
11 Rank
Progress
TalllPaul
Accepted Solution
I was listening out for your girly screech but heard nothing. Unlucky for not making the jump, lucky for having the experience.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

waltyftm

92%
04 Rank
Progress
waltyftm
Accepted Solution

Me too, i live in Gateshead so i would have been there in a flash.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Jacko_the_lad

• Beta Tester
96%
14 Rank
Progress
Jacko_the_lad
Accepted Solution

You could've just pre-ordered.

Would have been a lot easier. :P

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Playstation Staff
Online Support

LordRoss

• Online Support
LordRoss
Accepted Solution

You would never ever see me bungee jump.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

I wanted to do this but with my health they probably wouldn't have let me. :(

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xElfenLied

90%
08 Rank
Progress
xElfenLied
Accepted Solution
I would've loved to have done that, but my body goes all funny when I'm at a height and looking over, and probably would've chickened out :P
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Bearskopff

• Beta Tester
93%
10 Rank
Progress
Bearskopff
Accepted Solution

xElfenLied wrote:
I would've loved to have done that, but my body goes all funny when I'm at a height and looking over, and probably would've chickened out :P

I know that feeling!

I refer to curbs as 'precarious heights' so I'm not sure how well my stomach would've been at the top of the jump... :D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Dog_Eyed_Boy

34%
02 Rank
Progress
Dog_Eyed_Boy
Accepted Solution

I'd like to offer a more realistic aaccount of the Borderlands 2 Bungee jump event:

Turn up at the bungee jump event at 8:45 (it was scheduled to start at 10:00), there are already almost a hundred people queuing. The PR guys (Premier) are surprised that so many people have turned up... *****ing morons. You're offering a free bungee jump and free newly released game, how many *****ing people did you expect! 10:00 comes and goes, there's probably something like five hundred people queuing now, Still no solid information from the event runners on how many games they have and how many people are likely to be able to jump.

People finally start jumping around 11:30, apparently the crane was new and "stiff"... what the absolute *****! It should have been set up and ready to go in advance. Two of the first three guys, who had apparently been queuing since 2:00 PM the previous afternoon, bottle it. The crowd is not amused; even less so when they discover they still got the game anyway! The initials jumps take some time, especially with people getting all the way up there only to piss about for five minutes before backing out. These people are booed, big time.

The pace picks up for a while, with a bunch of people doing quick and clean jumps. My friend that was with me has already ***** off, but the guys I'm queuing with are a decent bunch and at the current pace we're optimistic we'll be able to jump, even with them sticking to the 4:00 PM cut off point despite starting an hour and thirty minutes late.

Sarah Wellock, the community manager from Rocksteady Studios (who I briefly met at last years Eurogamer Expo), is in the queue ahead, the guy next to me knows her from Twitter and we have a little conversation. She's only really there for the bungee jump (she already has Borderlands 2) and to see how the event goes. She leaves a while later, unwilling to wait 2-3 hours to Bungee jump in the rain (yes, it is now pissing down). She is not impressed.

So yeah, it's raining, and windy, and damn cold. Were it not for the guys near me with umbrellas I would have packed it in at that point. I soldier on though. The PR guys are still a joke, even before it started raining they were barely engaging with the crowd, but now they are just hiding in their tent. One of the security guys does more PR with a single conversation than the Take-Two team does across the whole event. They are still umming and ahhing about numbers and giving no definite answers. They at least tell the people furthest back in the queue that there's no chance, but there are still far more people there than, even under the best of circumstances, they could possibly hope to get through.

The weather worsens and things slow right down, the bungee team keep having hushed conversations with each other. Myself and the people around me are pretty apprehensive because we seem to be just on the cusp of "almost definite" and "maybe not". The bungee guys carry on, but it's clear they aren't happy with the conditions, and it's slowing jumps down an awful lot. The crowd is pretty dejected at this point, still the PR guys do no actual PR. The only time you can get the vaguest of answers from them is by shouting over to them when they dare to venture out of their tent. The bungee crew and security team provide more information than the PR team ever do, a lot of it overheard from conversations between the PR team in the first place! Information they never bother to share with the huddled and soaked masses.

We overhear the bungee guys, apparently it's extremely windy at the top of the crane. They take a short break; the head bungee guys heads up to get a feel and when he coms back down he calls it. It's too windy, and only set to get worse, they aren't doing anymore jumps. This is relayed through the bungee team, Take-Two stil don't come out of their tent to explain anything. We continue to queue, apparently for nothing. After some more conversations with the bungee team and event security we gather that they are taking peoples details and will send them out the game as they no longer have any left (yes, they started late and ended early and still managed to run out). It's nice to hear (would have been nicer to hear from the actual PR team, not a "far as I know" from some women who works for the bungee company), but we are still standing outside in the pissing rain.

We finally get inside the tent, at one point the PR team runs out of paper... this is how un-*****ing-organised and unprepared they are. It's 3:30 by the time I relay my details and am told that I'll receive an email first thing in the morning to confirm. At no point do the PR team ever approach the remaining queue (I believe they had the sense to create a cutoff point and tell the rest to go home) to explain just what they are doing. People further back are still not entirely sure what they are still queuing for, if anything.

All in all it was a pretty *****ing miserable day. I didn't get to jump (which I really wanted to and would have probably managed had they started on time), I spent seven hours queuing in the wind and rain for a game which at this point I would just as much ***** on as bother to play.

The worst PR I have ever seen.

A day later and have yet to receive the promised email about getting me my game and have also had no feedback from Premier, their employee Dan Seto (@AnusMcphanus) who was in charge of the event, or 2K Games UK PR Manager Ben Lawrence (@TheMoop). 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xElfenLied

90%
08 Rank
Progress
xElfenLied
Accepted Solution
Why bother complaining about the weather? You knew the weather was rubbish, don't go if it's that bothersome. Dress for the weather or just go and buy the game and go and buy an action packed bungee jump somewhere!

I am glad they didn't let people jump when it was windy. Oh so you'd rather people just jump whilst it was windy, and have people flying about the place and getting injured, and possibly dead? Yeah that'd be great! :|

You just sound like you were fed up because you didn't get a free game. It was free! The day out, was free!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Dog_Eyed_Boy

34%
02 Rank
Progress
Dog_Eyed_Boy
Accepted Solution

Did you even read my comment! When did I complain about the weather? I described it, yes, but complain... no. What I did complain about profusely was the terrible job the PR team did.

oh, and I did get a free game...

I'd like to point out I'm not the only person who had an issue:

Premier respond to Borderlands 2 ‘Jump for Joy’ event complaints

How Borderlands 2′s Bungee Jump Ended As A PR Disaster

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

xElfenLied

90%
08 Rank
Progress
xElfenLied
Accepted Solution
Sounds like you were complaining about the weather to me.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Me too, as well as complaining about not being told when to cut his losses...

Dog_eyed_boy, try this if you want to bungee for free:

http://www.ukbungee.co.uk/content/5/charity-bungee-jumps

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel