92%
05 Rank
Progress

Feedback on the Singstar XMB icon

[ Edited ]
836 Replies 102,423 Views edited 26-11-2012
24 Oct 2012
By MikLSP

As many of you will now be aware Singstar has become a free app and has been placed on the XMB as a compulsory icon in the Game category.

You will receive this as part of the recent v4.30 firmware update (although it is not listed as a feature of the new version)

You can read more about the Singstar update HERE and I'm sure we all agree that making Singstar free to access is a positive change for PlayStation and its customers, however, the icon (and specifically the placement of it) has become a matter for debate.

While it is beneficial in terms of reaching new customers, the lack of option to move/remove it is detrimental to the user experience of others.

Seeing as Sony are now keen to take on customer feedback and act upon it, I believe it would be useful to gauge public opinion on this new addition to the XMB with a simple poll and discussion.

Please avoid flaming and the general descent into name calling, fanboy-like behaviour and "trolling".

Everyone is entitled to a valid opinion and all should be heard in order to give fair and representative feedback.

UPDATE:

The poll is now closed due to abuse of the voting system in an attempt to unfairly influence the false result, however, the last retrivable statistics are displayed below.

Thank-you to everyone who voted and offered genuine feedback.

Poll Results:

Analysis:

From 2106 votes we can see that 89% would prefer not to have a permanent Singstar icon on their XMB and 98% disagree with its current placement at the top of the games list.

Furthermore, if we discount the 5th option in the interest of eliminating extreme negative bias, we still see a clear vote against the icon with >75% wanting to remove it and 94.8% disagreeing with its current placement.

-Perfectly placed - 5.2% (48)

-Move to Music - 10.6% (98)

-Move to folders - 8.7% (80)

-Option to delete - 75.5% (698)

Total 924

Thanks again to everyone who contributed their feedback, please do continue to offer thoughts and opinions in this topic.

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Vorgrim

91%
03 Rank
Progress
Vorgrim
Accepted Solution

I voted "It should not be on the XMB at all" but I can be satisfied with "I would like the option to disable the icon"

0 Kudos

Rif.: Feedback on the Singstar XMB icon

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

leggy1975

90%
08 Rank
Progress
leggy1975
Accepted Solution

Love it

Saves me having to dig out the disc when I want to "play" and feedback from family members of mine who only really had a PS3 for the blu-ray but have now have been introduced to Singstar is all positive as they have now started buying tracks as well.

For once well played Sony

As for where its located I couldnt really care less as its only a D Pad press away should it bother me

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

remb21

92%
02 Rank
Progress
remb21
Accepted Solution
When I updated my PS3 to FW 4.30, I saw the singstar thing and without knowing what it is about and since I coulnd't remove it, I opened it to see waht it was about (it is on my console so I have the right to know what it is at least) and I quickly noticed this was like a Trial of Singstar (THIS IS NOT A FREE GAME AT ALL, YOU CAN ONLY PLAY DEMO SONGS, STOP TREATING US LIKE STUPID CONSUMERS), and I was very unhappy to see that this thing completly messed up my trophy collection because it is standing there with a 0% completion rate and I will never play it, AND I NEVER PLAYED IT BECAUSE I DIDN'T BUY IT AND I CAN'T PLAY IT BECAUSE IT IS NOT FREE!!!!!

I'm very very unhappy with Sony, this is the same as a game retailer breaking into my house and placing an pre order case for a game between my other games and gluing it there!!!!

I hope to see this mess resolved ASAP, or else I will definitly stop buying Sony Playstation products.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DryCounty

92%
03 Rank
Progress
DryCounty
Accepted Solution

Doesn't bother me having the icon there at all.  Quite like singstar, so having it there makes things a lot easier than farting around with discs.

One thing that annoys me is the fact that this version of singstar comes with a whole new trophy set and platinum.  IMO it should just contribute towards the platinum for the original singstar games.

0 Kudos

Re: Feedback on the Singstar XMB icon

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

freerangeian

38%
02 Rank
Progress
freerangeian
Accepted Solution

This whole thing is a disaster for Sony.  If they want to plug some free content, that's fine--just put the icon there, we can all look at it, and then if we don't want to use it LET US DELETE IT!

I am not the kind of person that wants the ugly icon for some garbage karaoke game on my XMB.  The fact that they are forcing us to have it, without giving us the option to move or delete it is insane, and turning into a total PR nightmare.

P.S.  Have you looked at the price of Xbox360 in the last few days?  I have!  Time to make the jump, I think.

I

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

X-Leper

47%
02 Rank
Progress
X-Leper
Accepted Solution

Just updated my PS3 and ... that Singstar icon needs to be gone from my screen!!!

It's not my kind of game at all; I don't want to install it, and I don't want its icon sat there cluttering up my games menu which (until now) was laid out just the way I liked it.

The way it has been FORCED on us as part of a system update, and - worse - deliberately made impossible to get rid of, is disrespectful and offensive.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

deepershades

96%
03 Rank
Progress
deepershades
Accepted Solution
I think Nina's in a difficult position in that she's been afforded the role of propagandist puppet for a somewhat bullet-ridden iniative. Put succinctly, what will be the first two words you think of when you see a Singstar case on the shelf, or a separate advert for the franchise? The bottom line is that the untapped casual market is being prioritised over those who adopted at an earlier juncture - they just need to take a decision as to whether the next firmware will offer a way out, even if it takes time to implement the solution.......
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

kingchaz

94%
05 Rank
Progress
kingchaz
Accepted Solution
I think just given people the option to remove it or keep would stop all this
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PlayerUMD

80%
02 Rank
Progress
PlayerUMD
Accepted Solution

Wonderful addition to the firmware. Many thanks for this free game!

0 Kudos

Next-Gen Console Picks: Nintendo Wii U & Sony PS4!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Schumi-01

• Beta Tester
85%
04 Rank
Progress
Schumi-01
Accepted Solution

So the Themes i paid for are now redundant. Thanks Nina, and Sony. Any chance of a refund ??? 

Just give people the option to either keep the icon or delete it please. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

pepper_duo

87%
03 Rank
Progress
pepper_duo
Accepted Solution
My feedback. Its in the worst possible place as evident in the anger has received from some. I agree with others it seems should be in the Music section if anywhere but overall I don't think it should have been added as part of the firmware. The new store has a dedicated apps section and that's where I think it should be for everyone that is interested to download it. I think the same with love film and Netflix music unlimited ect admitedly but at least they're a bit out of the way instead of what singstar has done.
Even if determined it must be in games section, and as part of firmware, why on earth unable to sort along with rest of the games people have installed?
Why did they even bother with an apps section when almost off them the apps are cluttering our xmbs anyway?

Of coarse all this made mute if were given option to move or remove. Shame this has been handled so poorly as whilst I have no interest in singstar at all I would have thought it a nice thing they're trying to do and handy for others. As is, persistant annoyance.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Voodoo341

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Voodoo341
Accepted Solution

Sony.... RIP 

Killed by SCEE October'12

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

treymon

88%
02 Rank
Progress
treymon
Accepted Solution

Choice. This entire problem with its many threads, locked and otherwise, would be completely negated   with choice. Its that simple.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

PlayerUMD

80%
02 Rank
Progress
PlayerUMD
Accepted Solution

Honestly, you're all a disgrace, basically just raging about a damn icon that isn't even installed. Get over it, you installed 4.30 FW you gave Sony the liberty to do what they please.

You all accepted Sony's ToS and EULA, so Sony can do pretty much anything they want since you've agreed to.

It's sad this Nina lady has to waste time replying to ya'll because of an icon is too much of a problem. Spoiled users *sigh*. She could be doing something a lot better than replying to a bunch of ungrateful people online.

If none of ya'll wanted, you shouldn't have upgraded to 4.30 OFW, simple as this.

Props for Nina having time to respond to ya'll, that takes a lot of patience.

/out

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Next-Gen Console Picks: Nintendo Wii U & Sony PS4!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

kieranmarsh

67%
02 Rank
Progress
kieranmarsh
Accepted Solution

games are a very subjective thing, what one person likes and enjoys playing isnt necissarily what everyone else likes or wants, so coming here and calling people a disgrace for voicing their opinion on something that is as intrusive as the singstar icon is a little small minded (thats the nicest way i could think of putting it), again, thats just my opinion :)

its all about choice

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TheOrion

• Beta Tester
88%
09 Rank
Progress
TheOrion
Accepted Solution

PlayerUMD wrote:

Honestly, you're all a disgrace, basically just raging about a damn icon that isn't even installed. Get over it, you installed 4.30 FW you gave Sony the liberty to do what they please.

You all accepted Sony's ToS and EULA, so Sony can do pretty much anything they want since you've agreed to.

It's sad this Nina lady has to waste time replying to ya'll because of an icon is too much of a problem. Spoiled users *sigh*. She could be doing something a lot better than replying to a bunch of ungrateful people online.

If none of ya'll wanted, you shouldn't have upgraded to 4.30 OFW, simple as this.

/out

Only a minority of people are as you put it, raging. This thread has mostly constructive feedback.

The icon wasn't even listed as going to be installed in firmware information when you update, when people get caught offguard some tend to overreact.

You refer to complainers as ungrateful... so we should be grateful that an icon that is just clutter for them is added? Surely people would be more grateful if they had the option to have it, would they not?

By the concept of you agreed to the terms they can do almost what they want, there is some truth there. Then again, if say Microsoft did a windows update to offer security patches but also bundled a mandatory permenant advertisement on the desktop which cannot be removed nor mentioned at update, this would also be acceptable to you?

I doubt it. Also I doubt that they would even make such a poor choice to do so. You let something small slip it sets in motion bigger actions, better to as you put it "rage" now then to find down the line that we then have to put up with something far more invasive.

There is a reason only SCEE did this, if it goes wrong it limits the damage.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MikLSP

92%
05 Rank
Progress
MikLSP
Accepted Solution
@ PlayerUMD

This topic is intended to provide balanced feedback from all points of view within the community. We are not here to argue about whether you think others are right or wrong for having their own opinion.
If you are in favour of the icon then please feel free to vote accordingly and post reasons why you like it but please respect the right of others to post their views as you have yours.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SmakInTheFace

74%
04 Rank
Progress
SmakInTheFace
Accepted Solution
Get rid. Clearly just trying to make a raise out of a failing/dwindling in popularity franchise. In order to use singstar don't you have to buy mic's AND songs to sing? Neither of which I will be doing; being that I am a 23 year old male with no interest in prancing around in front of my tv potentially scarring for life anyone within earshot. Hmph!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Noodlesaurus

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Noodlesaurus
Accepted Solution

Mod has now closed the 55 page thread discussing Nina Scherer and the Singstar advert for being off topic. Would have been nice to have had a warning before it was closed, call me suspicious but that thread was gaining a ton of views and was on a promiment area of the forums. Was it really closed for being off topic or just because Sony didnt like 55 pages of complaints being on the most visited area of the forums?

Oh well, here comes another 55 pages full of (according to the poll at least) 89% negative reaction to the advert!

EDIT: On topic, get rid of the icon, its obnoxious and aggressive advertising. Sure, there's nothing stopping Sony from doing this sort of thing but WE are the ones who both purchase their products and recommend them to our friends. I'm all for choice, and dont mind if this becomes the usual for firmware updates, adding icons like FreeRealms etc., but for the love of god, give us the option to hide them. That way, we're both happy, you're given a shot at advertising a dying franchise, and i get to organize my PS3 the way i want to. The way i have been doing for the past 5 years.

25 pages on the blog post

55 pages on one thread discussing Nina and the Singstar ad until it was closed.

19 pages on another with a poll indicating that 89% of 1600 people wanting the option to hide the ad or remove it entirely.

9 days later and Sony are “discussing our concerns”.

What. A. Farce.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Playstation Staff
Community Manager

Envisager

• Community Manager
Envisager
Accepted Solution

Noodlesaurus wrote:

Mod has now closed the 55 page thread discussing Nina Scherer and the Singstar advert for being off topic. Would have been nice to have had a warning before it was closed, call me suspicious but that thread was gaining a ton of views and was on a promiment area of the forums. Was it really closed for being off topic or just because Sony didnt like 55 pages of complaints being on the most visited area of the forums?

Oh well, here comes another 55 pages full of (according to the poll at least) 89% negative reaction to the advert!

EDIT: On topic, get rid of the icon, its obnoxious and aggressive advertising. Sure, there's nothing stopping Sony from doing this sort of thing but WE are the ones who both purchase their products and recommend them to our friends. I'm all for choice, and dont mind if this becomes the usual for firmware updates, adding icons like FreeRealms etc., but for the love of god, give us the option to hide them. That way, we're both happy, you're given a shot at advertising a dying franchise, and i get to organize my PS3 the way i want to. The way i have been doing for the past 5 years.

25 pages on the blog post

55 pages on one thread discussing Nina and the Singstar ad until it was closed.

19 pages on another with a poll indicating that 89% of 1600 people wanting the option to hide the ad or remove it entirely.

9 days later and Sony are “discussing our concerns”.

What. A. Farce.

Absolutely not, that thread was closed as users were breaking the house rules. Believe me, all the sentiment from that thread will be compiled and fed back to the company. This is actually part of our role here, we actually appreciate the feedback given, be it positive or negative, as long as people do it in the correct manner without breaking the house rules then that's fine by us.

If we didn't want people to see it, it would have been removed.

Please do continue to provide feedback in this thread, but just make sure that it's presented in a constructive manner :Thumbs:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

obliviondoll

83%
05 Rank
Progress
obliviondoll
Accepted Solution

PlayerUMD wrote:

/out

Yes. I agreed to the update.

Yes, I agreed to the changes outlined in that update's changelog.

No, I wouldn't be anywhere near as upset with this change IF IT HAD BEEN LISTED IN THE CHANGELOG. But yes, even then, I would be requesting an option to remove the icon. I'd be less offended, because at the moment, I'm NOT looking at changes I agreed to, I'm looking at a change I didn't want and WASN'T advised about in advance.

Also, if the icon wasn't installed, we wouldn't be complaining about it. I think you meant to "an icon for a program that isn't installed" because if the icon istelf (which is enough to be frustrating and in the way) wasn't installed, there wouldn't be a problem to complain about.

No, the icon doesn't take much HDD space. But yes, it does take space, and more importantly, it adds clutter, which is the problem. And it adds clutter which advertises something I don't want, and never will want on my PS3.

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel