SingStar

SingStar

Level 4

obliviondoll

Re: Feedback on the Singstar XMB icon

[ Edited ]

MikLSP wrote:
@ obliviondoll & RoninStretch

I don't think any HDD space is used unless you download and install the game.

@ all

thanks for the good response on this, keep the opinions and feedback coming :smileyhappy:

I'm not saying a thing about the HDD space in relation to the current situation(and the icon alone is space used, so saying it doesn't take ANY space is an exaggeration). My mention of HDD space was purely to stated that IF I was installing it, I'd be asking for money back FOR the space used. Not saying there's already enough space used to be worth mentioning.

My main problem is that it's even THERE in the first place. It shouldn't be. And if it has to be, it DEFINITELY shouldn't be there with no option to remove it. But it shouldn't be there AT ALL.

I don't want Singstar. I don't want to have Singstar shoved in my face every time I start up my PS3. I don't care how often it gets shoved in my face, I will NEVER want it to be there.

Please use plain text.

Level 3

PlayerUMD

[ Edited ]

Honestly, you're all a disgrace, basically just raging about a damn icon that isn't even installed. Get over it, you installed 4.30 FW you gave Sony the liberty to do what they please.

You all accepted Sony's ToS and EULA, so Sony can do pretty much anything they want since you've agreed to.

It's sad this Nina lady has to waste time replying to ya'll because of an icon is too much of a problem. Spoiled users *sigh*. She could be doing something a lot better than replying to a bunch of ungrateful people online.

If none of ya'll wanted, you shouldn't have upgraded to 4.30 OFW, simple as this.

Props for Nina having time to respond to ya'll, that takes a lot of patience.

/out

Next-Gen Console Picks: Nintendo Wii U & Sony PS4!
Please use plain text.

Level 2

kieranmarsh

games are a very subjective thing, what one person likes and enjoys playing isnt necissarily what everyone else likes or wants, so coming here and calling people a disgrace for voicing their opinion on something that is as intrusive as the singstar icon is a little small minded (thats the nicest way i could think of putting it), again, thats just my opinion :smileyhappy:

its all about choice

Please use plain text.

Level 3

deepershades

playerUMD's comments are flawed on any number of grounds, primarily because people can't make an informed rejection of a change they're not notified of - separately, sony are obviously testing the water here and customer feedback is never irrelevant regardless of legal prerogative - the 'disgrace' comment is insulting .......
Please use plain text.

Level 3

fauxtronic

I figured it would be more constructive to meet Sony halfway and selected the following option in the poll:

• I would like the option to disable the icon

I've said elsewhere, that it's hard not to view this kind of product placement as spam, and it puts me off buying anything being promoted in this way.  Just my personal opinion.  :smileyhappy:

The most fascinating aspect of this whole saga for me is perceived ownership of the UI.  The XMB has never really felt like "our own space" in the same way that (for example) the Windows desktop feels like our own space because the customization aspects are far more limited.  It's hard to get attached to a UI when you can't decorate it with designs you personally made in photoshop or have free reign with menu/icon positioning.

Regardless, plenty of us managed to get attached to the XMB and ended up feeling territorial to some degree about it anyway, so when such a blatant marketing decision invades that space... it grates and generates bad feeling.  For some, it's a size large reminder from Sony that the XMB is theirs, not ours... while others simply don't care... and I think that is why we are seeing such passionate, entrenched positions being taken.

Please use plain text.
Beta Tester
TheOrion

[ Edited ]

PlayerUMD wrote:

Honestly, you're all a disgrace, basically just raging about a damn icon that isn't even installed. Get over it, you installed 4.30 FW you gave Sony the liberty to do what they please.

You all accepted Sony's ToS and EULA, so Sony can do pretty much anything they want since you've agreed to.

It's sad this Nina lady has to waste time replying to ya'll because of an icon is too much of a problem. Spoiled users *sigh*. She could be doing something a lot better than replying to a bunch of ungrateful people online.

If none of ya'll wanted, you shouldn't have upgraded to 4.30 OFW, simple as this.

Props for Nina having time to respond to ya'll, that takes a lot of patience.

/out

Only a minority of people are as you put it, raging. This thread has mostly constructive feedback.

The icon wasn't even listed as going to be installed in firmware information when you update, when people get caught offguard some tend to overreact.

You refer to complainers as ungrateful... so we should be grateful that an icon that is just clutter for them is added? Surely people would be more grateful if they had the option to have it, would they not?

By the concept of you agreed to the terms they can do almost what they want, there is some truth there. Then again, if say Microsoft did a windows update to offer security patches but also bundled a mandatory permenant advertisement on the desktop which cannot be removed nor mentioned at update, this would also be acceptable to you?

I doubt it. Also I doubt that they would even make such a poor choice to do so. You let something small slip it sets in motion bigger actions, better to as you put it "rage" now then to find down the line that we then have to put up with something far more invasive.

There is a reason only SCEE did this, if it goes wrong it limits the damage.

Please use plain text.

Level 5

MikLSP

@ PlayerUMD

This topic is intended to provide balanced feedback from all points of view within the community. We are not here to argue about whether you think others are right or wrong for having their own opinion.
If you are in favour of the icon then please feel free to vote accordingly and post reasons why you like it but please respect the right of others to post their views as you have yours.
Please use plain text.

Level 3

SmakInTheFace

Get rid. Clearly just trying to make a raise out of a failing/dwindling in popularity franchise. In order to use singstar don't you have to buy mic's AND songs to sing? Neither of which I will be doing; being that I am a 23 year old male with no interest in prancing around in front of my tv potentially scarring for life anyone within earshot. Hmph!
Please use plain text.

Level 2

Noodlesaurus

[ Edited ]

Mod has now closed the 55 page thread discussing Nina Scherer and the Singstar advert for being off topic. Would have been nice to have had a warning before it was closed, call me suspicious but that thread was gaining a ton of views and was on a promiment area of the forums. Was it really closed for being off topic or just because Sony didnt like 55 pages of complaints being on the most visited area of the forums?

Oh well, here comes another 55 pages full of (according to the poll at least) 89% negative reaction to the advert!

EDIT: On topic, get rid of the icon, its obnoxious and aggressive advertising. Sure, there's nothing stopping Sony from doing this sort of thing but WE are the ones who both purchase their products and recommend them to our friends. I'm all for choice, and dont mind if this becomes the usual for firmware updates, adding icons like FreeRealms etc., but for the love of god, give us the option to hide them. That way, we're both happy, you're given a shot at advertising a dying franchise, and i get to organize my PS3 the way i want to. The way i have been doing for the past 5 years.

25 pages on the blog post

55 pages on one thread discussing Nina and the Singstar ad until it was closed.

19 pages on another with a poll indicating that 89% of 1600 people wanting the option to hide the ad or remove it entirely.

9 days later and Sony are “discussing our concerns”.

What. A. Farce.

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Envisager

[ Edited ]

Noodlesaurus wrote:

Mod has now closed the 55 page thread discussing Nina Scherer and the Singstar advert for being off topic. Would have been nice to have had a warning before it was closed, call me suspicious but that thread was gaining a ton of views and was on a promiment area of the forums. Was it really closed for being off topic or just because Sony didnt like 55 pages of complaints being on the most visited area of the forums?

Oh well, here comes another 55 pages full of (according to the poll at least) 89% negative reaction to the advert!

EDIT: On topic, get rid of the icon, its obnoxious and aggressive advertising. Sure, there's nothing stopping Sony from doing this sort of thing but WE are the ones who both purchase their products and recommend them to our friends. I'm all for choice, and dont mind if this becomes the usual for firmware updates, adding icons like FreeRealms etc., but for the love of god, give us the option to hide them. That way, we're both happy, you're given a shot at advertising a dying franchise, and i get to organize my PS3 the way i want to. The way i have been doing for the past 5 years.

25 pages on the blog post

55 pages on one thread discussing Nina and the Singstar ad until it was closed.

19 pages on another with a poll indicating that 89% of 1600 people wanting the option to hide the ad or remove it entirely.

9 days later and Sony are “discussing our concerns”.

What. A. Farce.

Absolutely not, that thread was closed as users were breaking the house rules. Believe me, all the sentiment from that thread will be compiled and fed back to the company. This is actually part of our role here, we actually appreciate the feedback given, be it positive or negative, as long as people do it in the correct manner without breaking the house rules then that's fine by us.

If we didn't want people to see it, it would have been removed.

Please do continue to provide feedback in this thread, but just make sure that it's presented in a constructive manner :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.