Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: Feedback on the Singstar XMB icon

[ Edited ]

Chiming in with an open letter, stating my point politely.

"Dear Sony,

Choose one: (i) enable the option to remove the Singstar icon from the Games menu or (ii) move the icon to the PlayStation Network menu, for example right above the icon of a similar free to play project, i.e. PlayStation Home.

Why this 'choice'? Well, in the Games menu, I wish to only see the Games and Game Demos I chose to put there. The Games menu should functionally be a reflection of my profile as a video game player. Items which do not correspond with my profile should not be visible in the Games menu of my particular PS3.

I have no problems with others who are intrigued/enamored by Singstar and who wish to keep the icon in their particular PS3 Games menu. I hope they have a great time with the product.

However, my personal gaming profile does not mesh well with Music Games such as SingStar, Rock Band, etc. In my Games list, the icon currently stands out like an eyesore, triggering a negative emotional response (annoyance) every time I go to the Games menu for a playing session. An emotional response which shouldn't be there in the first place, and can only grate more and more as time goes on.

Annoyances such as these should be avoided (now and in the future), if only as a sign of respect towards my custom and to ensure a lasting, mutually beneficial relationship between you and me. As such, I strongly urge for a removal of the icon from the Games menu or allow the option to remove it.

Thanks for reading, Sony. I am kindly awaiting your actions with regards to this matter."

Message 211 of 829 (2,100 Views)
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Sony installed this icon for a single purpose. It is an advertizing and they want to make money with it. Until now there is now response from Sony if this going to be removed or worse replaced by the next advertizing. Therefore my simple answer is denying the very thing they want. I'm not going to buy any playstation or sony products until it is removed.

Message 212 of 829 (2,022 Views)

Playstation Staff

well it goes without saying that many many people will be gaining a negative emotional association with both singstar and sony. the whole thing is a PR disaster any way you look at it.
do they really think I am going to choose a sony console next time i buy big? currently I am planning for my next console to be a Wii U. it took me literally 5 years to eventually buy a ps3 because of how sony were marketing it and the only reason I came to sony is because microsoft were being money grabbing monkeys. and now sony do this? I'm willing to forgive a PR fiasco as long as it is dealt with properly, but sony is treading on think ice.

I have to understand that this singstar has paid sony an awful lot of money for this kind of deal so perhaps their hands are tied by a legal contract. well in that case singstar have shot themselves in the foot. this aggressive marketing has had the opposite effect. if i would ever have considered using singstar (i have been partial to karaoke in the past) I certainly will never buy a singstar product now. they have done massive damage to their brand.

unless they are published by sony... then in that case, they really need to go see a shrink. because the captain of their brain ship is clearly asleep at the wheel.
Message 213 of 829 (2,004 Views)

Playstation Staff

SuperUnknown79 wrote:
Anyone threatening to go the Xbox will be in for a shock when they see the dash there... 80% adverts on every screen. The very reason I came back to ps3. Hate to see the PS dash go the same way though it seems inevitable now.

when i am earning enough money to be buying a brand new game console, I will do what my brother does. I will buy a decent gaming pc and buy my games ffrom steam instead. they understand the value of good customer relations. well at least for now.

Message 214 of 829 (1,994 Views)
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Tremault wrote:

SuperUnknown79 wrote:
Anyone threatening to go the Xbox will be in for a shock when they see the dash there... 80% adverts on every screen. The very reason I came back to ps3. Hate to see the PS dash go the same way though it seems inevitable now.

when i am earning enough money to be buying a brand new game console, I will do what my brother does. I will buy a decent gaming pc and buy my games ffrom steam instead. they understand the value of good customer relations. well at least for now.

This. PC gaming is on the rise once again and right now is the only platform that doesnt force obnoxious advertisement on us. Yes, Steam/Origin etc. have their own share of nefarious tactics but at least there is still the choice to go with DRM (and advert free) with alternatives like GOG and buying direct from the dev.

It might seem like there's a lot of childish "Im switching to another platform" whinging but i'd hesitate to label everyone who threatens to go to another platform an immature  idiot. At the end of the day, businesses have about the same IQ as a mob. Its pretty much the IQ of its CEO divided by the number of shareholders.  All they care about is the bottom line. They're short-term monsters who will do anything to make a quick buck.

Does anyone really think someone in the position to make these changes that we're crying out for is reading our comments? They dont care that we consider this change unfair, obnoxious or arrogant. Do these words make money? No. The Singstar ad does though.

The one thing we can rely on to penetrate blockheaded corporate minds sitting pretty in their 40 storey skyscrapers is to threaten their bottom line. Threaten to boycot. Threaten to switch to a rival platform. Its how capitalism works. Obviously its a complete waste of time to do this every time a company screws up but cmon guys, we're going on for a nearly 2 weeks of silence from Sony - this is an unacceptable amount of time to wait for a statement saying "we're fixing it" or "we're not fixing it" considering the 80% majority that repeatadly call for a fix.

I wont boycot yet - im a patient man and damn it i like the PS3 - its been my preferred gaming platform for 5 years now but if this is indeed the slippery slope that some of us fear, ill have no trouble switching to the PC by the time the next gen comes out - at least there i have adblock.

Message 215 of 829 (1,979 Views)
Level 1

Playstation Staff

About this time of year I would usually use a theme more suitable to halloween, often after having spent way too much time trying to decide which one to use.

This is much better though, that pair of gurning muppets is far more horrifying than anything i could possibly choose from the themes I currently have.

A big thankyou to all involved.

0 Kudos
Message 216 of 829 (1,874 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Consider this,

Placing the Singster icon in it's current location has effectively made the 'Display What's New' option in system systems pointless, that option was to enable users to be able to boot up your PS3 without seeing ads, this icon placement has broken that, I personally don't care that the icon is there, I just don't want my PS3 booting to it.

Please fix that.

Message 217 of 829 (1,793 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Please remove the icon. If I want a demo I'll go & get one from the store. I don't even have the peripheral needed to play it anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 218 of 829 (1,731 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I play Singstar, it was in fact one of the reasons I was bought my PS3, I play normal games more now, but I do love the fact that I can now access Singstar without having a disc in, but please, please can we move it so it isn't always at the top of our games list?

The position it has been placed in is an awful and blatant piece of sales marketing pitching, I'm quite shocked anyone there thought it wouldn't just make most people annoyed. It's forcing an advert for a product on people on there own home games console and I'm not sure anyone will find not find that uncomfortable.

Move it to the music tab asap.

Message 219 of 829 (1,609 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Just want to add my voice to those who hate having the Singstar icon forced to the top of my games list.

I've spent a fair amount of time customising my xmb so it reflects myself and my tastes, which are things like Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma, Magic the Gathering... and now slap bang in the middle of that is Singstar, standing out like a sore thumb.

I know theres other un-removable icons on the xmb, and I couldn't care less about them - but I honestly find the SIngstar one offensive and embarrassing.

Having a Lovefilm icon implies you like watching films - having a SIngstar icon implies you performing enjoy cheesy pop karaoke in your living room and dressing like an X-Factor/TOWIE reject, the idea of which I personally find horrendous. Also its far too prominent in its placement.

I can see absolutely no justification or logic in making the icon so it cannot be deleted or moved. Please make an update that addresses this.

Message 220 of 829 (1,541 Views)