05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Feedback on the Singstar XMB icon

[ Edited ]
835 Replies 99,728 Views edited 26-11-2012

As many of you will now be aware Singstar has become a free app and has been placed on the XMB as a compulsory icon in the Game category.

You will receive this as part of the recent v4.30 firmware update (although it is not listed as a feature of the new version)

You can read more about the Singstar update HERE and I'm sure we all agree that making Singstar free to access is a positive change for PlayStation and its customers, however, the icon (and specifically the placement of it) has become a matter for debate.

While it is beneficial in terms of reaching new customers, the lack of option to move/remove it is detrimental to the user experience of others.

Seeing as Sony are now keen to take on customer feedback and act upon it, I believe it would be useful to gauge public opinion on this new addition to the XMB with a simple poll and discussion.

Please avoid flaming and the general descent into name calling, fanboy-like behaviour and "trolling".

Everyone is entitled to a valid opinion and all should be heard in order to give fair and representative feedback.

UPDATE:

The poll is now closed due to abuse of the voting system in an attempt to unfairly influence the false result, however, the last retrivable statistics are displayed below.

Thank-you to everyone who voted and offered genuine feedback.

Poll Results:

Analysis:

From 2106 votes we can see that 89% would prefer not to have a permanent Singstar icon on their XMB and 98% disagree with its current placement at the top of the games list.

Furthermore, if we discount the 5th option in the interest of eliminating extreme negative bias, we still see a clear vote against the icon with >75% wanting to remove it and 94.8% disagreeing with its current placement.

-Perfectly placed - 5.2% (48)

-Move to Music - 10.6% (98)

-Move to folders - 8.7% (80)

-Option to delete - 75.5% (698)

Total 924

Thanks again to everyone who contributed their feedback, please do continue to offer thoughts and opinions in this topic.

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Kkowboy

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kkowboy
Accepted Solution

Chiming in with an open letter, stating my point politely.

"Dear Sony,

Choose one: (i) enable the option to remove the Singstar icon from the Games menu or (ii) move the icon to the PlayStation Network menu, for example right above the icon of a similar free to play project, i.e. PlayStation Home.

Why this 'choice'? Well, in the Games menu, I wish to only see the Games and Game Demos I chose to put there. The Games menu should functionally be a reflection of my profile as a video game player. Items which do not correspond with my profile should not be visible in the Games menu of my particular PS3.

I have no problems with others who are intrigued/enamored by Singstar and who wish to keep the icon in their particular PS3 Games menu. I hope they have a great time with the product.

However, my personal gaming profile does not mesh well with Music Games such as SingStar, Rock Band, etc. In my Games list, the icon currently stands out like an eyesore, triggering a negative emotional response (annoyance) every time I go to the Games menu for a playing session. An emotional response which shouldn't be there in the first place, and can only grate more and more as time goes on.

Annoyances such as these should be avoided (now and in the future), if only as a sign of respect towards my custom and to ensure a lasting, mutually beneficial relationship between you and me. As such, I strongly urge for a removal of the icon from the Games menu or allow the option to remove it.

Thanks for reading, Sony. I am kindly awaiting your actions with regards to this matter."

Re: Feedback on the Singstar XMB icon

[ Edited ]
/16

tom-359-ds

67%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tom-359-ds
Accepted Solution

Sony installed this icon for a single purpose. It is an advertizing and they want to make money with it. Until now there is now response from Sony if this going to be removed or worse replaced by the next advertizing. Therefore my simple answer is denying the very thing they want. I'm not going to buy any playstation or sony products until it is removed.

/16

Tremault

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tremault
Accepted Solution
well it goes without saying that many many people will be gaining a negative emotional association with both singstar and sony. the whole thing is a PR disaster any way you look at it.
do they really think I am going to choose a sony console next time i buy big? currently I am planning for my next console to be a Wii U. it took me literally 5 years to eventually buy a ps3 because of how sony were marketing it and the only reason I came to sony is because microsoft were being money grabbing monkeys. and now sony do this? I'm willing to forgive a PR fiasco as long as it is dealt with properly, but sony is treading on think ice.

I have to understand that this singstar has paid sony an awful lot of money for this kind of deal so perhaps their hands are tied by a legal contract. well in that case singstar have shot themselves in the foot. this aggressive marketing has had the opposite effect. if i would ever have considered using singstar (i have been partial to karaoke in the past) I certainly will never buy a singstar product now. they have done massive damage to their brand.

unless they are published by sony... then in that case, they really need to go see a shrink. because the captain of their brain ship is clearly asleep at the wheel.

/16

MKR_Bone

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MKR_Bone
Accepted Solution

Please remove the icon. If I want a demo I'll go & get one from the store. I don't even have the peripheral needed to play it anyway.

0 Kudos

/16

Kogia_breviceps

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kogia_breviceps
Accepted Solution

I play Singstar, it was in fact one of the reasons I was bought my PS3, I play normal games more now, but I do love the fact that I can now access Singstar without having a disc in, but please, please can we move it so it isn't always at the top of our games list?

The position it has been placed in is an awful and blatant piece of sales marketing pitching, I'm quite shocked anyone there thought it wouldn't just make most people annoyed. It's forcing an advert for a product on people on there own home games console and I'm not sure anyone will find not find that uncomfortable.

Move it to the music tab asap.

/16

Dragomyrr

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dragomyrr
Accepted Solution

Just want to add my voice to those who hate having the Singstar icon forced to the top of my games list.

I've spent a fair amount of time customising my xmb so it reflects myself and my tastes, which are things like Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma, Magic the Gathering... and now slap bang in the middle of that is Singstar, standing out like a sore thumb.

I know theres other un-removable icons on the xmb, and I couldn't care less about them - but I honestly find the SIngstar one offensive and embarrassing.

Having a Lovefilm icon implies you like watching films - having a SIngstar icon implies you performing enjoy cheesy pop karaoke in your living room and dressing like an X-Factor/TOWIE reject, the idea of which I personally find horrendous. Also its far too prominent in its placement.

I can see absolutely no justification or logic in making the icon so it cannot be deleted or moved. Please make an update that addresses this.

/16

Kogia_breviceps

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kogia_breviceps
Accepted Solution

Dragomyrr wrote:

Just want to add my voice to those who hate having the Singstar icon forced to the top of my games list.

I've spent a fair amount of time customising my xmb so it reflects myself and my tastes, which are things like Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma, Magic the Gathering... and now slap bang in the middle of that is Singstar, standing out like a sore thumb.

I know theres other un-removable icons on the xmb, and I couldn't care less about them - but I honestly find the SIngstar one offensive and embarrassing.

Having a Lovefilm icon implies you like watching films - having a SIngstar icon implies you performing enjoy cheesy pop karaoke in your living room and dressing like an X-Factor/TOWIE reject, the idea of which I personally find horrendous. Also its far too prominent in its placement.

I can see absolutely no justification or logic in making the icon so it cannot be deleted or moved. Please make an update that addresses this.

lol, you may need to expand your narrow-minded view as you maybe mature a bit.

I can understand not liking the Singstar icon, as I said above you, I don't like it either and I do play Singstar, but playing a game on your PS3 (any game, including Singstar), does not say anything more about you than what you like to do for a bit of fun. You like fantasy, cool, someone else likes to sing, that's cool too.

Now get ready for this, I'm going to break into your judgemental world: I play Singstar, I have never watched X-Factor, I have no desire to ever do so. I didn't even know what a TOWIE was until a month ago, when I had the misfortune of being showed a few minutes by my brother's girlfriend, I am not a fan. I love Demon's Souls & Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma is on my 'must get round to playing' list of games. I generally dress in rather stained and grubby clothes because my job as a wildlife tour guide and ecologist usually involves me crawling through steamy bug-ridden insect jungles, or on a more luxurious day, swim shorts because I'm on a boat looking at marine mammals in a tropical sea. The point being, like probably many many other players, I like a good bit of Singstar karaoke, but we're not all from the same mold that you might like to simplify the world into.

0 Kudos

/16

Dragomyrr

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dragomyrr
Accepted Solution

Kogia,

Please learn the meaning of "Implies". This is different to saying "absolutely everyone who plays Singstar is an X-Factor/TOWIE wannabe." The reason it implies it is because of the branding, which suggests it is aimed at that kind of audience.

Also I said "I personally find it horrendous". I'm perfectly entitled to have my view, and that does not make me narrow minded, judgemental or immature, it just means I have certain tastes and an opinion.

Thanks for providing such a mature, open minded and non-judgemental response though ;)

/16

Dragomyrr

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dragomyrr
Accepted Solution

@Kogia again - I've just looked back and realised that how my original post was sat under yours might have looked like it was a direct response to yours and that I was belittling the fact that you, personally, play Singstar. Please be assurred this wasn't the case.

Maybe that's what inspired the reason for (and nature of) your reply, and if so, I apologise for the misunderstanding - I'm new to these forums so I may have made a mistake and hit a button which replied directly to you rather than comment in general to the topic, which is what was intended.

[ Edited ]
/16

Kogia_breviceps

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kogia_breviceps
Accepted Solution

Funny, I was going to type a rant apology after reading your first reply, even before seeing your second post above, no extra one needed from you. I wasn't taking your original post as a personal comment aimed specifically at me, I really just hadn't noticed the 'implied' part, reading it again after you pointed that part out does make my response seem totally out of whack.

Clearly I was suffering from that annoying habit of being too quick to sneer at people on web forums and formulating a smug reply before double checking. So apologies from me for that, I've toned down my web rant today.

[ Edited ]
/16

pepper_duo

87%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pepper_duo
Accepted Solution

another week passed and no progress on moving/removing or adding options to the icon?
not even another acknowledgment?

I've stopped my auto plus renewal now too. I don't feel I'll be missing much as almost all the games offered Ive already played and I wont be purchasing anymore psn content, Most of it's overpriced anyway but I'm glad I never payed for any themes.
This is despicable way to treat customers specially when it's such a ridiculously easy quick thing to fix and make Everybody happy. I'd be happy to wait for next firmware update if that's whats necessary but to be left seemingly ignored with no idea... apparently they don't consider customers worthy of an official response.

:Shame:

;EDIT

Maybe they're holding fix back as an xmas present? :xConfused:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Dragomyrr

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dragomyrr
Accepted Solution

@Kogia - thanks bud, appreciate that :)

Still no official response from Sony, I see. I e-mailed customer services 4 days ago and not even got a response from them. Can't believe they are ignoring such a huge outcry. That in itself is a real slap in the face - for me the issue has gone beyond the annoying icon itself and become more about how Sony treats their customers. I love my PS3 to bits but this treatment has definitely opened my mind up to considering the alternatives for next -gen. 

/16

tom-359-ds

67%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
tom-359-ds
Accepted Solution

@ Dragomyrr

at least for the german support you get an auto reply with a tracking link where you can check if the support simply closed your request. You can send a link to your email for password generation for your login (it’s not your psn account).

@ all

I think I have recognized the software behind the support email. There are a lot of counters in the background to check if you get a quick answer – or more important for the counters – a quick closed status. It is used for some quality check on happy customers. But if you are annoyed about the Singstar icon:

Keep sending emails to the support and make sure via the tracking link your requests are not closed!!!

This will create decent statistics about unhappy customers.

0 Kudos

/16

McPixel

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
McPixel
Accepted Solution

Can't believe this hasn't been quickly removed (or made removable) by now.

Some very clever, creative people made the PS3, now it's in the hands of business people ... same with the epilypsy warning you can't turn off in the settings (thanks Sony lawyers!) ... bit by bit this machine is really starting to suck. I dread to think what's next.

Sony are jealous of the xBox's ability to show new content to its users. Their naff approach to advertising is worrying because what's next, a nice big full screen Resident Evil ad every time I turn the PS3 on? I'd like it better than the Singstar full screen ad (it's not just an icon), but it'd scare the kids every time we try to watch a movie!

Sony, you suck ... hope you get better soon!

0 Kudos

/16

Dragomyrr

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dragomyrr
Accepted Solution

Thanks Tom, I hadn't thought of it but that would explain why I've sent 3-4 emails following up their generic copy/paste response and none of them have been answered.

Great, nice to know my complaint has been shut down without warning and I'm left shouting into empty cyberspace, really nice Sony, thanks.

Fresh e-mail sent. The first of many, if needs be.

[ Edited ]
/16

McPixel

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
McPixel
Accepted Solution

Hi, just wanted to say ...  I've ordered a 360+Kinect ... no more PS3 game purchases from me. Sony, the time to remove this icon was 1-2 weeks ago, you obviously just don't care. I've been buying PS games since the original PS, even bought a Net Yarozee! ... sad ending, you suck.

/16

Smegzilla

98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Smegzilla
Accepted Solution

This is an utter embarassment every time I log into my PS3 now. Why does it have to be so prominent? Oh right, it's a blatant advert for Singstar. Which I'm not interested in. Or know anyone who's interested in. And am embarassed and annoyed to see it every time I turn on my PS3.

Whoever thought that was a good idea deserves a swift knock to the back of the head and a good telling off (to put it nicely :) ).

0 Kudos

/16

andyrome64

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
andyrome64
Accepted Solution

I think the PS3 needs AdBlockPlus!

Sony shows all its arrogance (what's new?) with this forced advertiment approach. While the PSN is an "optional" service the PS3 when offline is a piece of kit I have fully paid and I don't see why I should be forced to watch an ad all the time, particularly when it was not there when I chose to buy the PS3.

How does Sony know that I would have still bought the PS3 if I had known that I was buying a Sony advertising machine and not a game console?

Consider me in the queue for the PS4.... NOT!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

/16

Dragomyrr

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dragomyrr
Accepted Solution

FYI everyone there is another thread here where a petition has been started - http://community.singstar.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-General/European-petition-to-remove-icon-singst...

Please go and sign and keep kicking up a fuss until this is sorted.

/16

thecabbage

81%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
thecabbage
Accepted Solution

I'm a singstar player, but I can't tell you if I mind about this icon, since there's no sign of it on my xmb. updated to 2.31 etc, but it's not there.

Not bothered to be honest, since if I want to play singstar I'll just pop a disc in.

0 Kudos

Sign up for SICK KIDS SAVE POINT - 24 hour gaming marathon for Sick kids - www.sickkidssavepoint.org
/16

Dragomyrr

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dragomyrr
Accepted Solution

Ok, I'm actually that motivated that I went ahead and created a Facebook page - my first one ever :)

https://www.facebook.com/RemoveSingstarFromThePs3Xmb

If we can get enough Likes and Shares, maybe it will be a further prod for Sony to sit up and take notice, so please Like and Share with those you think will be interested.

Thanks all for keeping the pressure up :Thumbs: 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel