23 Sep 2008
Playstation Staff

Singstar Discs - Rip to HDD (Like Harmonix did with Rock Band)

15 Replies 2,767 Views Created 23-09-2008
I think the Singstar Devs could learn a little something from Harmonix (Rock Band).

Harmonix innovated by allowing users to literally rip the songs off of the Rock Band disc onto the PS3/Xbox 360 HDD.
Of course there was a relicensing fee, but I paid for it.

This ripping enables the disc content from the RB1 disc to be available in RB2 or any other Rock Band title for just a $5USD licensing fee.

Now it is apparent that Singstar Devs are neglecting the Singstore's content and not delivering the content that is being distributed on their standalone discs.
I personally am not willing or interested in buying these disc separately so that I can disc swap.

Harmonix has done something really great. And I would like to see Singstar devs follow.
If they do release a patch that can do this to the Singstar discs. I won't mind buying the discs and paying a small relicensing fee like Harmonix did for Rock band.
Having all the songs on the same PS3 with out ever having to swap discs will be awesome on all levels.

Any opinions?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (2,767 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Singstar Discs - Rip to HDD (Like Harmonix did with Rock Band)

hey!

that is a brilliant idea... i am sure there is a reason why we couldnt just have them as dlc on sstore. but if you could rip them as you suggest i would get the discs... as it is its too much hassle to swap discs around all the time.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (2,752 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

It could be possible to do if each disc carried a unique id code. This would allow you to register your singstar to your ps3 and download the tracks onto your ps3 hdd. Simply like downloading from the singstore. As you will have registered that disc to your ps3 no-one else would be able to download the tracks as when they tried sony would know. It could have a feature built in so it could only be done when your online, thus allowing sony to monitor it
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (2,679 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Thats an incredible idea...

It can be something like Call of Duty 4 Game of the Year Edition.
Every copy ships with a unique code to redeem the map pack.

Instead this code could be used to redeem a "ticket" or "patch"  which could then be used to rip that particular singstar disc to the HDD.
The code is void.

Nice suggestion mate.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (2,670 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Another idea

1 time copy al the tracks from vol 1 to your hard drive, also 1 time copy vol. 2 tracks to your hard drive. etc with new volumes

Now if you wanna play singstar, you first have to swap disks, first vol 1, than vol. 2 to load the tracks. The last disk you keep in your ps3 and than you start singing ;-)

So now sony can check that you have the disks because you first have to load the disks and you don't have to disk swap annymore (only before you start playing singstar)

Please sony give us a function like this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (2,664 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

One problem with making the discs unique is that the data on the disc must be changed for each copy that is burnt at the manufacturing company.
Not very feasible in that sense.

But a code system may be much more effective.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (2,650 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Rubbish and would never work. You forget that not only are you licensing the song but your licensing the video as well (something that doesn't happen with Rock Band), and that opens up a much bigger can of worms with regards to getting it sorted.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (2,569 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

YobRenoops wrote:
Rubbish and would never work. You forget that not only are you licensing the song but your licensing the video as well (something that doesn't happen with Rock Band), and that opens up a much bigger can of worms with regards to getting it sorted.

Well I wouldnt say its rubbish. But I do agree that it wouldnt work, due to them being two very different games.

However if it could work I'm sure the community would be happy.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (2,522 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Mr_Writer wrote:

YobRenoops wrote:

Well I wouldnt say its rubbish. But I do agree that it wouldnt work, due to them being two very different games.

I think ur being hasty... it does depend on the licensing deal... if it is based on unit only then all the people using that song would already have the disc. But if it is tied into platform too then there would be a big prob
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (2,407 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Mr_Writer wrote:

YobRenoops wrote:

It would be good but I doubt we'll ever see it happen.

Also, how much use is a one time code if your PS3 bricks? Its already a pain in the a$$ redownloading songs off the store to a replacement PS3.

:smileyindifferent::Help:

Zapping since '07.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (2,387 Views)
0 Kudos