29 Jan 2009
By murfo
Playstation Staff

Singstore DLC audio sync issue

[ Edited ]
2 Replies 383 Views edited 29-01-2009

Has anyone else had sync issues with singstore downloads?

Mine specifically relates to "Never Gonna Give You Up". In the first verse, the backing track skips a bar ahead and when he gets to the "i just wanna tell you how i'm feeling" bit, the backing track skips to the start of the chorus. It cuts perfectly though, so i'm thinking it was something to do with the final edit.

Its really ruining the song for me, has anyone else had this problem? Was it a mastering error? Would re-downloading the track help???

Message Edited by murfo on 29-01-2009 08:19 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3 (383 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Singstore DLC audio sync issue

There is nothing wrong with your download. This is how the audio was mastered for the song. In fact, someone on another forum asked me a similar question tonight, so I'll just repost the response I gave them...

Rick Astley - "Never Gonna Give You Up" was featured on the very first edition of SingStar back in 2004. This title had a number of significant differences to subsequent versions, such as a single player campaign mode, no dashes inbetween syllables, and a slightly modified interface.

One of the unique features of the original SingStar game was the ability to completely remove vocals. Unlike the PS3 editions (which attempts to digitally remove vocal tracks using ADRess), the original PS2 game used master records with an a capella track that could be removed. This was dropped with release of the second title, SingStar Party, as the requirement to have master tracks was too much of a restriction on the song selection process.

Now I always theorised that the a capella tracks would cause some problems with the original music videos. It would be impossible to find a capella tracks for the original music videos, and so the recording would have to come from another source and then the audio manually matched up to the video.

This appears to be the case here; the audio recording of the a capella track (and background track) are not the same mix as what was used in the original music video. That's why it sounds slightly different. And because the PS2 back catalogue on the SingStore uses a modified version of the PS2 SingStar file, that audio was carried over to the SingStore version.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3 (371 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: Singstore DLC audio sync issue

ah i see, thanks for the reply
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3 (351 Views)
0 Kudos