Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: The Official NBA thread

Has been a little quiet on the NBA front recently on the forums. I was just thinking what everyone's thoughts are on the current lockout and no games till after Dec 15th.

As a fan I am pretty annoyed with the whole situation, after the craziness of last season I was really looking forward to this year. I am hoping we do get a season but it looks very unlikely

What do you all think

Pretoria Sig
Please use plain text.
Message 281 of 307 (315 Views)
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Yeah it's pretty average! Last year was the first year i was really getting into the NBA! Pretty pathetic they can't sort it out... 

Please use plain text.
Message 282 of 307 (306 Views)
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Lockouts pretty dissapointing.. You would think the nba bosses would want to come to some sorta agreement even for the people that work at the stadiums and stuff.

Please use plain text.
Message 283 of 307 (286 Views)
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Woot.....

The lockout is over and the NBA will be back on 25th Dec for a shortened season, but a season none the less. What a great christmas present for all the fans.

What do you all think ?

Pretoria Sig
Please use plain text.
Message 284 of 307 (272 Views)
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Can't wait! Should be some interesting movements when free agency starts this week.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 285 of 307 (256 Views)
Level 9

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

braydonh87 wrote:
Can't wait! Should be some interesting movements when free agency starts this week.

Yeh I agree,

I am hoping for some big moves, I am one of those FA fans when the big moves go down.

Also as a massive fan of Chicago & Vince Carter, this following article made my eyes light up like someone shined a flashlight in my ear.

Sources: Suns to waive Vince Carter

Vince Carter isn't a free agent yet, but sources close to the situation say the eight-time All-Star will be thrust onto the open market shortly after the end of the lockout.

Based on an amendment in his contract obtained by ESPN.com, Carter must be waived by the Phoenix Suns within 72 hours of the official start of free agency or his $18 million salary for the 2011-12 season becomes fully guaranteed.

The Suns, sources said, have already decided to waive Carter within that window.

The Suns and Carter amended the contract in June to delay the guaranteed-salary date in Carter's final contract year until after the lockout ended. Waiving Carter inside the first 72 hours after the league's schedule start of free agency Friday means that Phoenix would only have to pay $4 million to Carter and likely ensure that the Suns avoid luxury-tax territory this season even after trying to complete the re-signing of Grant Hill and moves with other potential free agents.

The Suns' plan, sources said, is to bring back Hill if possible and make a playoff run this season, then proceed to the summer of 2012 armed with salary-cap space to make major upgrades to the roster.

Sources said the Suns have yet to receive any indication from star guard Steve Nash that he wants to be dealt to a contender, which is why management clings to the hope that the two-time MVP -- who is also headed for free agency in July 2012 -- will retire a Sun.

Carter landed in Phoenix in December 2010 when his hometown Orlando Magic dealt him to the Suns with Marcin Gortat, Mickael Pietrus, $3 million and a 2011 first-round draft pick in exchange for Hedo Turkoglu, Jason Richardson and Earl Clark. A month later, Carter became the 37th player in league history to reach the 20,000-point plateau, but it has long been assumed around the league that Phoenix wanted him in the deal purely for the payroll relief Carter's contract affords.

Chicago, Miami and San Antonio are expected to be among the teams interested in signing Carter, 34, once he clears waivers and becomes an unrestricted free agent.

written by Marc Stein, a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com & Chris Broussard, a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Pretoria Sig
Please use plain text.
Message 286 of 307 (252 Views)
Level 4

Playstation Staff

VC to the Bulls could work, as he has developed his game into that of a shooter more so than attacking and scoring at the rim as he did in his younger years. I don't think he adds much to the Heat, I could only see them signing him if they waive Mike Miller who didn't really pan out last year as they'd hoped. The Heat are in need of a big man and will be targeting Oden, Dalembert etc.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 287 of 307 (247 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

It looks as if CP3 finally has a new home in LA, with the Clippers agreeing to Paul in return for Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, Al-Faroqu Aminu and the Timberwolves' 2012 first-round pick. Pretty good deal for the Clips, Chris Kaman's had injuries last season and they didn't miss him all that much. Losing Gordon will hurt but he had to go, there's no way the Clips could have structured a deal without Gordon or Griffin. But CP3 more than makes up for it and will benefit both players. It's hard to predict how the Clips will fare this season, since CP3 has been a great player and never had a player even close to Griffin with the ability to finish off the alley-oop. They could use a decent defensive stopper but they've got time to build through the draft and trades. And unless they work so well in tandem that they split the votes, it's possible that one of these players (more likely to be Paul) could work his way up into an MVP candidate.

In other news, the Dwight Howard deal appears dead at the moment, but a trade is innevitable at some point. Shane Battier joins the Big 3 in Miami which will give them a slight boost and will also sting Memphis a little bit, they appeared to come good as soon as Battier got traded back. Lamar Odom has also been traded to the Dallas Mavericks after what feels like an age seeing him in the purple and gold, and Tyson Chandler has signed with the Knicks to make one of the scariest frontcourts in the league.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 288 of 307 (219 Views)
Level 9

Playstation Staff

rcoll_rorscharch wrote:

It looks as if CP3 finally has a new home in LA, with the Clippers agreeing to Paul in return for Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, Al-Faroqu Aminu and the Timberwolves' 2012 first-round pick. Pretty good deal for the Clips, Chris Kaman's had injuries last season and they didn't miss him all that much. Losing Gordon will hurt but he had to go, there's no way the Clips could have structured a deal without Gordon or Griffin. But CP3 more than makes up for it and will benefit both players. It's hard to predict how the Clips will fare this season, since CP3 has been a great player and never had a player even close to Griffin with the ability to finish off the alley-oop. They could use a decent defensive stopper but they've got time to build through the draft and trades. And unless they work so well in tandem that they split the votes, it's possible that one of these players (more likely to be Paul) could work his way up into an MVP candidate.

In other news, the Dwight Howard deal appears dead at the moment, but a trade is innevitable at some point. Shane Battier joins the Big 3 in Miami which will give them a slight boost and will also sting Memphis a little bit, they appeared to come good as soon as Battier got traded back. Lamar Odom has also been traded to the Dallas Mavericks after what feels like an age seeing him in the purple and gold, and Tyson Chandler has signed with the Knicks to make one of the scariest frontcourts in the league.

Hey rcoll,

Good to see you back in the NBA thread and good to see there is a season.  I have been constantly refreshing espn.com/nba lookin and waiting for trades, resignings and all the fun and games that free agency brings. Here is my take on the latest buzz around the league.

CP trade, I think is a good move and the Hornets did as well as you would expect from this whole deal, Gordon is a very good player and a massive scorer & an unprotected Draft Pick from the Wolves could bring a franchise player on board in the 2012 draft. On the Clippers side, they got one of the best point guards going atm and now Griffin has a great passer lobbin him the ball. It is going to be great to see how they go this year and more than likely very entertaining.

Dwight not going anywhere is good imo, I want the Magic to build a good team around him that can do what Shaq couldn't in Orlando, win a championship. I don't think they have the pieces or cap space to make any championship winning moves atm.The biggest problem they have though is if they don't show signs of improvement Orlando will lose him next year though.

Miami picking up Battier only strengthens their team.  

Odom to Dallas was just weird. I didn't see that coming at all. I am certain it was to clear cap space cause the Lakers were expecting a Big Trade to go through. They may still have a left field deal up their sleeve but let's just see what happens. 

Dallas losing Chandler was a pretty big blow though. He is a great defender & was big key in their championship win. Cause of this I think they are going to find it very hard to repeat.  

As much as I wanted to see Vincanity in Chicago, Dallas & reuniting with Kidd is also pretty cool.

Chandler to the Knicks is very scary, maybe he can teach Amare how to play defence as well :-D  

Just recently it has been anounced that Rip Hamilton has inked a deal with Chicago, this is a good move for them as it gives them another dangerous scoring option and another veteran that could help mentor the younger talent & be a floor general.  

And the Cleveland Cavs have given the amnesty chop to Baron Davis. He is out with an injury for 8-10 weeks but could be a big piece for the team who get his services once he clears waivers.   

Pretoria Sig
Please use plain text.
Message 289 of 307 (215 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Interesting trades and signings, NOH did well for C3P imo, however who plays PF. Rip Hamilton could be the Bulls missing piece if he can get back to form and pull his head in.

But the best news, me being a Blazer is JC signing with RIP City. Well and truely needed with the unexpacted departure of Roy. JC is a star and can shoot the lights out, me so happy :BigGrin:

[url=http://bf3stats.com/stats_ps3/bigpav53][img]http://g.bf3stats.com/ps3/1LP76r6C/bigpav53.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/bigpav53][img]http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/212/bigpav53.png[/img][/url]
Please use plain text.
Message 290 of 307 (206 Views)