02 Mar 2011
Playstation Staff

Ah poo, YLOD.

22 Replies 787 Views Created 02-03-2011

So I won't be Warhawking for a short while.

The good news is that HMV have offered me a free replacement Slim or a repair to my near 4-year-old Fat PS3 – thanks to the miracle that is The Sale Of Goods Act. Never forget it, UK consumers.

The dilemma is, should I repair the Fat to keep the PS2 compatibility and the four USBs but wait for the solder to fail again, or should I get the Slim and enjoy a quieter machine with a lower spec?

Missing Warhawk already. :Shame:

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23 (787 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Ah poo, YLOD.

Tough Choice i opted to get another FAT one but with less usb's and more memory off of Sony , but i think next time the Slim due to hopefully it being more stable, the question is when do you ever play PS2 games anymore and would you miss the functionality.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23 (767 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Id go for the slim,chances are the fat will fail again. New gen PS3 = more reliable. PS2 compatability,meh. I only ever put in GTA San Andreas to see the diff,nothing great. Dont hold onto the past. If you need USB ports jus pug in a USB hub.

Sorted

Photobucket
"...To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23 (756 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I say  you go for  the slim, the fat usually breaks down again.

My 60gb Ps3 Over Dosed on Yellow Light too in january . Called sony and was told its £131 for a refurb and 3months warranty.

I thought sod that went on ebay saw and bought a claim a replacement or free repair booklet. it was full of the sales of goods act stuff didnt understand it but it worked for me.

After a couple of weeks of being mugged by the retailer I  manged to claim a free repair even though my ps3 was 3 years old and outside warranty

I have now sold it and got a 160gb slim i am not going through all that again

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23 (742 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Yeah, most people aren't aware of the Sale Of Goods Act. My local HMV said that in the four years since launch no one had returned a PS3 using those rights, though plenty had within the one year warranty!

As for ringing up Sony – you didn't buy it from Sony so you have no contract with them. You did buy it from the retailer, and whether they like it or not you have a contract with them that says, amongst other things, that the PS3 should last for “a reasonable amount of time”. One can argue about “reasonable”, but with Sony claiming a ten year lifecycle for each of their Playstation generations and the PS1 and PS2 being quite reliable, one can argue that one would “reasonably expect” a PS3 to last at least a decade – just as Sony’s TVs and DVD players do.

Anyway, HMV were as nice as pie and very helpful, and I think you’re right – a replacement is probably the best bet in the long term. I could push my luck and accept the repair on the condition that it is an acceptable remedy only if the manufacturing problem does not appear again... but HMV are having a hard time so who knows how helpful they may be in another couple of years. :smileysad:

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23 (734 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks for that guys/girls i'll now have to look into the sale of goods act :smileyvery-happy:

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23 (717 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Nice coup there Nemo, sale of goods act.......gotta say, surprised they agreed to replace it after 4 years! :smileywink:

Slim is the way to go mate, they run cooler, are quieter and imho, look better than the original :smileyhappy:

Now get ya console and arse back to Warhawk soldier!!!! :smileyhappy:
GENERAL MIKE
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23 (707 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

mike_r1971 wrote:
Slim is the way to go mate, they run cooler, are quieter and imho, look better than the original :smileyhappy:

I prefer my fatty :smileywink:

Photobucket

"You can't take the sky from me"

Message 8 of 23 (683 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

good work with the sale of goods act nemo!

i am currently working on modding a 60gb fatty (read: lots of vent holes/cooling slots). i am not so keen on the slims, yes its a later variant so should in theory run cooler. but its now near impossible to get new spares for the fatties :smileysad:

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23 (654 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

sale of goods act? interesting!:smileytongue:

are the hdds on slims upgradeable??

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23 (625 Views)
0 Kudos