02 Mar 2011
Playstation Staff

Ah poo, YLOD.

22 Replies 778 Views Created 02-03-2011

So I won't be Warhawking for a short while.

The good news is that HMV have offered me a free replacement Slim or a repair to my near 4-year-old Fat PS3 – thanks to the miracle that is The Sale Of Goods Act. Never forget it, UK consumers.

The dilemma is, should I repair the Fat to keep the PS2 compatibility and the four USBs but wait for the solder to fail again, or should I get the Slim and enjoy a quieter machine with a lower spec?

Missing Warhawk already. :Shame:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23 (778 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Ah poo, YLOD.

Tough Choice i opted to get another FAT one but with less usb's and more memory off of Sony , but i think next time the Slim due to hopefully it being more stable, the question is when do you ever play PS2 games anymore and would you miss the functionality.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23 (758 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Id go for the slim,chances are the fat will fail again. New gen PS3 = more reliable. PS2 compatability,meh. I only ever put in GTA San Andreas to see the diff,nothing great. Dont hold onto the past. If you need USB ports jus pug in a USB hub.

Sorted

Photobucket
"...To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23 (747 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I say  you go for  the slim, the fat usually breaks down again.

My 60gb Ps3 Over Dosed on Yellow Light too in january . Called sony and was told its £131 for a refurb and 3months warranty.

I thought sod that went on ebay saw and bought a claim a replacement or free repair booklet. it was full of the sales of goods act stuff didnt understand it but it worked for me.

After a couple of weeks of being mugged by the retailer I  manged to claim a free repair even though my ps3 was 3 years old and outside warranty

I have now sold it and got a 160gb slim i am not going through all that again

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23 (733 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Yeah, most people aren't aware of the Sale Of Goods Act. My local HMV said that in the four years since launch no one had returned a PS3 using those rights, though plenty had within the one year warranty!

As for ringing up Sony – you didn't buy it from Sony so you have no contract with them. You did buy it from the retailer, and whether they like it or not you have a contract with them that says, amongst other things, that the PS3 should last for “a reasonable amount of time”. One can argue about “reasonable”, but with Sony claiming a ten year lifecycle for each of their Playstation generations and the PS1 and PS2 being quite reliable, one can argue that one would “reasonably expect” a PS3 to last at least a decade – just as Sony’s TVs and DVD players do.

Anyway, HMV were as nice as pie and very helpful, and I think you’re right – a replacement is probably the best bet in the long term. I could push my luck and accept the repair on the condition that it is an acceptable remedy only if the manufacturing problem does not appear again... but HMV are having a hard time so who knows how helpful they may be in another couple of years. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23 (725 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks for that guys/girls i'll now have to look into the sale of goods act :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23 (708 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Nice coup there Nemo, sale of goods act.......gotta say, surprised they agreed to replace it after 4 years! :smileywink:

Slim is the way to go mate, they run cooler, are quieter and imho, look better than the original :smileyhappy:

Now get ya console and arse back to Warhawk soldier!!!! :smileyhappy:
GENERAL MIKE
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23 (698 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

mike_r1971 wrote:
Slim is the way to go mate, they run cooler, are quieter and imho, look better than the original :smileyhappy:

I prefer my fatty :smileywink:

Photobucket

"You can't take the sky from me"

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 23 (674 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

good work with the sale of goods act nemo!

i am currently working on modding a 60gb fatty (read: lots of vent holes/cooling slots). i am not so keen on the slims, yes its a later variant so should in theory run cooler. but its now near impossible to get new spares for the fatties :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23 (645 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

sale of goods act? interesting!:smileytongue:

are the hdds on slims upgradeable??

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23 (616 Views)