Progress

MB's Starhawk Tactics Thread

[ Edited ]
41 Replies 4,468 Views edited 24-01-2012
24 Jan 2012
By MusterBuster

MusterBuster's Starhawk Tactics Thread

Hello fellow 'hawker!

This thread is dedicated to the sharing of tactics experienced, conjured or borrowed, good or bad, that can be employed by a team of players in Starhawk.

It works in a very simple way...

How to submit a tactic to the thread:

It's really easy!

1. Create a new post in reply to this one. You'll see this post you're reading now at the top of the text editor box.

2. Decide whether your tactic is a good or bad one. If it's good and is likely to help a team win the game, copy and paste the happy smilie into the top of your post. If it's bad and is likely to make a team look like bumble-bees on copious amounts of coca-cola, copy and paste the unhappy smilie into the top of your post:

3. Give the tactic a name. If it's a good tactic, give it a good name. If it's a bad tactic, give it the most ludicrous (but still descriptive) name you can think of. Make sure the name of the tactic is in bold.

4. Describe the tactic, using pictures and illustrations wherever possible. If this means you have to doodle out a diagram on the back of your math book, take a photo on your phone and upload it - so be it! Pictures will really help this thread become an awesome resource.

5. Add any extra information, such as which maps the tactic can be used on, the types of players you'll need to pull it off, how much rift will be needed or specific game modes in which the tactic works best. Be sure to list these as bullet points, just to make the thread look pretty.

6. Submit it!

How to rate a tactic:

This changes a little depending on whether the tactic is a good or bad one...

Good Tactics should be given Kudos if they make strategic sense and are likely to lead a team to victory when followed as described.

Bad Tactics should be given Kudos if they are really, really ludicrous. Giving a bad tactic Kudos should only be done if the tactic really mad you laugh at the thought of a team actually using it.

Other bits:

• First and foremost, stick to the House Rules.
  • Before you contribute a tactic, please make sure that you have read and Kudos'd a few others first. That little bit of extra input will make other contributors feel really good and more likely to Kudos you back.
  • Do your best to make your post look pretty and stick to the format described in this post, it'll help make the thread really easy to read. There's an example from me below if you're unsure what to do.
  • Do not slate other people's tactics. If a submitted tactic is marked as Good but is full of holes and flaws, simply don't Kudos it. If you absolutely must give feedback, ensure that it's either constructive or hillarious and definitely not abusive.

TACTIC OF THE MONTH:
Not Enough Tactics Yet this month! Why not submit one?

MB

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KADAFI316

92%
02 Rank
Progress
KADAFI316
Accepted Solution
haaaaaaaaa bored off that stick them buggers to your hawks haaaaaaaaa and rain down from the heavens with the hammmer of thor!!! wat i love to do is play chicken with the enemy haaaaaaaaaaa mikeyyyyyyyyyy boy i will see you may 8th my friend keep a space for me in your clann im sure it will be great fun playing with you guys i ve only played starhawk with pentex and labarr7 little weee scots man haaaaaaaaa
0 Kudos

Re: MB's Stalwart Tactics Thread

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Leeli67

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Leeli67
Accepted Solution

Not really a tactic. On most maps when you spawn, if you really push that stick you can normally land somewhere you can get a clear shot on some Barrels of Turquoise goodness giving you 4 units within seconds of the start of the game.

0 Kudos

Re: MB's Starhawk Tactics Thread

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

nunchucks2224

61%
02 Rank
Progress
nunchucks2224
Accepted Solution

Sidewinder derbying

As we all know and sometimes hate, at the beginning of every game about half the team jumps on sidewinders and try's to capture each other's flags. The problem is, everybody is going so fast you really have no way of combating them at the beginning of the game. Well look no further. First go ahead and save one rift and grab a bike from someone else's corral. Then, grab some proxy mines and stick them all over your sidewinder. Now, instead of trying to stop and shoot the speedy devils, you just ram into them and they blow up.

I'd like to give credit to whatever genius did this to me on dust. The stupid ones never win.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

wingkong85

97%
04 Rank
Progress
wingkong85
Accepted Solution

Don't forget the basics too!!! There's a lot to be said for simple flanking manoeuvres which was a huge factor in the last game I just played.

It was TDM on Fracture (the one with the red sky?) and we were battling over the left flank where two long bridges met at an island which had a tremendous vantage point over the enemy base. For a while we held the island, set up a shielded outpost but had trouble picking off their tanks who were hiding behind a shield in the HQ.

However, a cloaked hawk dropped in and took out our shield, leaving our island base open to a tank massacre. It wasn't long before, their team had their own outpost set up in that same place.

So I spawned, grabbed a tank and made my way through the centre which was pretty open, bagging a few points along the way. I ended up at the opposite side of the bridge and proceeded up to the outpost, where an enemy tank was causing havoc on our guys struggling to move up. I rolled up behind the tank, who was oblivious, took out their shields, repair arm AND the tank in one swift artillery strike.

The deadlock was broken and our guys were able to advance deep into enemy territory, so that simple flanking move had sealed the win.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cloudburst--

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Cloudburst--
Accepted Solution
I can never find proximity mines on foot in the map
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

wingkong85

97%
04 Rank
Progress
wingkong85
Accepted Solution

I usually make a point of finding the mines for each map, but I forget where they are a lot of the time.

Also, I've been using the grinder (?) a lot lately and it's bloody brilliant for destroying structures and also pretty good in close quarters against infantry.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

POPPA-KLUMP

80%
02 Rank
Progress
POPPA-KLUMP
Accepted Solution
I think I wrote this's somewhere else on the forum, this is my favourite tactic for holding a position.

First off ya need a bit of team coordination.... Yeah I know but bare with it ;).

Then get a small band together, 4 is a good amount, tool up the best you can. Get Your selves in some speedy vehicles and trundle off to some barrels. Good idea also to build up some rift unless you know you will go passed a good amount of barrels on the way.

Now you may have noticed that alot of the barrels are in strategic positions, well find one that is useful to your team I.e. near a zone, choke point or just as close as possible to the enemy base. Then let the building commence!!!

If you all have full rift then this will be really easy to do if not the barrels are your friends. Start with a bunker and tower ( keep that ammo up, ) then a shield ( obvious really, ) then a spawn point. If you all did have full rift use what's left for turrets on the bunker and maybe a vehicle depot of some description ( best for quick get always. ) All the time make sure you collect those barrels and keep building up defences ( walls, turrets, etc )

Now your pretty well protected.... Wait for the incoming enemy, you know as soon as they see that spawn they will be coming that's why it's best left till last. You should be able to see anyone coming from the tower so a good sniper and a few guys with rockets can take out any thing coming. whilst ,( fingers crossed ) the reinforcements drop in.

With a bit of communication you can hold a point with this for a good amount of time.... Plus it's bloody fun just to see how long you can stay put! If you chose a good spot can also win you a match!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KADAFI316

92%
02 Rank
Progress
KADAFI316
Accepted Solution

With a bit of communication you can hold a point with this for a good amount of time.... Plus it's bloody fun just to see how long you can stay put! If you chose a good spot can also win you a match

haaaaaa finaly someone with a style of play that i like amen to that my brother i think more people should have this style of play iuts really fun to defend your base that you built with your freinds sometimes it gets crazy and you can have some real fun playing

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Stezza

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Stezza
Accepted Solution

One very useful tactic when your base is swarmed with tanks is to equip the Bruiser perk and start slashing. It's always immensely satisfying to take out a spawn-camping tanker with your humble blade.

I may be a little slow but it took a while before I realised Bruiser damaged vehicles as well as buildings.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

wingkong85

97%
04 Rank
Progress
wingkong85
Accepted Solution

Ground Pounder Tactic

I just mentioned this in another thread, but it's worth mentioning again and people are already doing this in the game. If you're on Ground Pounder, it's still possible to reach the tallest areas of a map. Build an outpost as close as you can to a column, mountain etc. and then respawn onto the very top ot it. Then you can set up sniper towers and shields to give yourself an impregnable vantage point and if need be, build another outpost within the shielded area. Your team will soon get the picture and join in.

To be honest, this is really suited to TDM only because unless you're a crack shot, you won't be catching flag runners or defending zones.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KADAFI316

92%
02 Rank
Progress
KADAFI316
Accepted Solution

ground pouunder yes i dont no what map it was but from the beta its the acid map but i think a diffrent part ofd it anyhwayz my team had about 10 tanks pounding their base and who ever the guy that built a shiled on top of the pipes was trulley amazing because than they put a towewr and others follow their was no way up their after 22 enemys all on the pipe they built 3 shields 4 towers with in 5 min they were taking out all the tanks

than after no taanks a few got to main base built it back up again this was 1 of the best games i played in they got the win in the end because off tacttics was trulley amazing after we built sheilds and towers was a good sniper stand off v tanks amazing

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

saberdragon

93%
06 Rank
Progress
saberdragon
Accepted Solution

Not a tactic as more of a suggestion!!!!!!

If the enemy are spamming Air Mines over your base then those of you who are not flying & are defending shoot them out of the sky!!!!

Reason......

Your own Hawks are at risk  on taking off & if up will find it hard to come in close to support you if the enemy  ground attack.....

Your a team work as one....

men of the imperium do you want to live for ever!!!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Stezza

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Stezza
Accepted Solution

saberdragon wrote:

If the enemy are spamming Air Mines over your base then those of you who are not flying & are defending shoot them out of the sky!!!!

Yes! Nobody seems to do this but it's so important and easy to do.

Another thing I've noticed is that I think a lot of people don't realise you can shoot Mechs with the rifle. When a Hawk lands don't turn and run in fear, take it on. Two or three infantry can take a Mech out very quickly with just the rifle and grenades.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

saberdragon

93%
06 Rank
Progress
saberdragon
Accepted Solution

Beam/Flak Turrets.....

Whilst playing on Dust eight Turrets all at ground level may seem a good idea  & be quiet effective against vehicles but thy do no good against Hawks as they have a limited  field of fire!!!!

Place some of them higher up & they will be able to engage at longer distances & also deter some of the more cowardly pilots from making bombing runs...(unless they have the Turret Jammer enabled).

0 Kudos

men of the imperium do you want to live for ever!!!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ZootSuit

88%
05 Rank
Progress
ZootSuit
Accepted Solution
It's always good to remember that you are playing a game, don't take things too seriously and scream your head off at other players. Also bare in mind that most people either mute or laugh at those sorts, I'm sure everyone from Warhawk remembers that infamous fella that yelled at people and tried to control games. If you have something constructive to say then do so in a decent manner, otherwise expect abuse back.

A tactic for CTF; always have an your escape planned. There's no point placing a garage/corral down after you've taken the flag, the enemy will already be after you. Instead, build it before you take the flag, that way you have a vehicle ready and waiting for you when you want to flee.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Bilbo_bobbins

87%
06 Rank
Progress
Bilbo_bobbins
Accepted Solution
just use bruiser, wander in to the enemy base and knife everything to dust in milliseconds. DONE !
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

KADAFI316

92%
02 Rank
Progress
KADAFI316
Accepted Solution

what that marky mark guy from warhawk  haaaaaaaaa wat a entertainer loved that guy and towing him off the mapp wat a guy wat a guy haaaaa zootsuit

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ZootSuit

88%
05 Rank
Progress
ZootSuit
Accepted Solution
Yup, good ol', hypocritical Mark.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

rustyrobots

75%
02 Rank
Progress
rustyrobots
Accepted Solution

This one's probably already been posted as I'm sure I'm not the only one to figure it out. spawn in base and set up a Corral straight away. wait til you have 4 rift and go wherever there are proximity mines. set up an outpost in a safe place near the mines and then set up another vehicle spawn when you have enough rift again. whenever the mines spawn attach how many you want to your vehicle.

particularly effective is using sidewinders against tanks, i always use 3 mines but i think 2 or even 1 will do. sidewinders are the fastest vehicle in-game apart from the hawks so you can flank and sneak up to a tank easily without danger. i've lost count of the tanks i've got with this method. even a hawk swooped down on me once and picked up all the mines :D 

i've had a plan in my head for some time and not done it, of driving up a ramp and dismounting just before i launch, leaving the sidewinder flying towards enemy base. probably not a brilliant method. what i do love is placing the mines in supply bunkers right where the weapon pickups are :D

BE WARNED:

try not to drive too close to troops unless you're a suicide bomber, in which case, don't stupidly drive straight past them, keep all up in their face. the mines wil be triggered but will not attach to them. leaving you a split second to dismount and get away before they blow you to kingdom come

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

rustyrobots

75%
02 Rank
Progress
rustyrobots
Accepted Solution

another good tactic is build a sniper tower with a clear view or a bunker near the flag in CTF, with a window facing towards the flag, if possible put some mines on the ladder just in case a sneaky scab tries to stab you in the back. on hollow in particular you can build a bunker literally right next to the flag, if anyone comes to grab the flag, shove a rocket up their ass. it's an added bonus to you if they manage to grab the flag and then you kill them, because you can then go and stand around the flag as it returns and grab a hefty amount of XP.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

preston4488

21%
02 Rank
Progress
preston4488
Accepted Solution
When you first respond capture a bunch of rift energy then take a sidewinder or tank go to high grounds (close to base) and build a (sniper tower, supply bunker, and a depot or a different kind of depot, if you have enough rift get a shield generator) stock up on weapons go up in the sniper tower and snipe people roaming around layout

If your in like huge ground layout you don't really need a shield generator because you can hide the stuff you build... You should always have an outpost so allies can respawned there....

please add psn preston4488
0 Kudos

Smart tactic you should use

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel