26 May 2012
Playstation Staff

My Idea to Stop Base Ravaging

20 Replies 429 Views Created 26-05-2012

Ok, first of all this is purely an idea, constructive criticism is appreciated!

Picture this:

The whole map allows you to continuously gain rift energy.

As in Battlefield 3, you have your spawn zone as an off limits area to the enemy team. This zone is a 'hangar' with sidewinder dispensers that you cannot build structures in.

Instead of building stuff inside your spawn zone, you HAVE to go outside to make a central base and move about the map if enemies invade your base. Tanks cannot go within a certain radius of your hangar so that you get a chance to get away. Your hangar is also inside a 'bowl' shaped canyon with multiple exits. 

This would solve the problem of base ravaging.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21 (429 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: My Idea to Stop Base Ravaging

Remove the visible spawn location ... problem solved.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 21 (407 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Causton97 wrote:

This would solve the problem of base ravaging.

It'd also change the nature of the game.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 21 (395 Views)

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

@Ew_Tux

Thats a good one.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21 (372 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

MB's 101 ways to stop the base rape.

Note, these suggestions are provided with a pinch of salt. Not all of them have merit, or even a hint of decency, and most a aimed at prevention of base raping rather than solving it after it's happened.

1. (as above) Remove the spawn location from the map and radar.
  2. Make players lose Rift when they enter the enemy base, which is given to the nearest player from the opposite team.
  3. In "Blitz" mode, ensure that the base structures which are present from the start respawn after a set amount of time
  4. Provide each base with a self destruct function that kills all players and destroys all structures without discrimination.
  5. Make "braping" (see what I did there?) a gameplay mechanic. If a Brape is detected, the game ends with the brapers winning and a new game begins.
  6. Implement a game mode which includes the ability to call for reinforcements: A pod storm, Apex Warriors, air strike etc.
  7. Add a "DEFCON 1" mechanic which, once all a team's structures are destroyed, allows them to spawn with full rift.
  8. Give players 2x health when in their home base (except in CTF mode).
  9. Implement a new structure designed to set off an alarm when an enemy enters the base and provide massive bonuses for killing the enemy who sets off the alarm.
  10. Implement a new structure which allows a player to adopt a "Command and Control" role, able to mark targets and take sole responsibility for base structures until he leaves the building or it is destroyed. Again, massive bonuses for obeying commands.
  11. Make proximity mines available from Supply Depots (though with a respawn timer far greater than the other weapons available there) to give players an extra "fire and forget" defensive weapon.
  12. Add more bonuses for players who take on a defensive role.

OK, that was 12 and not 101. That's just how I roll.

Discuss please!

MB

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 21 (363 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

MusterBuster wrote:

1. (as above) Remove the spawn location from the map and radar.

This is the most logical place for the devs to start and the easiest to implement.

I do think, though, that the biggest problem is not related to the gameplay but the way servers are hosted. As I mentioned in another thread, there are too many people deliberately setting up unbalanced games and stacking one team with veteran players. 

In ranked servers you should not be able to turn off random teams or team balancing.

In fact, I'm not convinced that team balancing is functioning correctly, it seems to put people from the same clan on the same team all the time regardless of numbers. For example, if there  are 11 people in the game and 7 are from the same clan then the game will commence with 7 vs 4 which obviously distorts things from the get-go.

I would really like to see some official servers with stricter balancing rules or the addition of a 'Split Clans' option in the servers settings.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21 (322 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I don't understand why we need the base and players lit up like christmas trees! Whenever I look on the map I see enemy players regardless of having the perk or not. People should only appear on the map when shooting! We could also have random sub base locations perhaps that are unmarked on the map perhaps that we can spawn at like a pre built outpost...

Or what if bases change when they are conquered? You overwhelm the enemy base and the spawn locations are changed for both teams. So if you take over a base, you take it at the cost of losing all your team structures in the old base and become unable to spawn there. Then the losing time can spawn safely and are given more rift energy upon spawning when losing by a certain score. This gives them a chance to fight back!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21 (309 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Don't we this ever being balanced even with the patch. You can't have team deathmatch that allows teams to sit in your spawn blowing up everything. . .its just fundamentally flawed.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21 (305 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Nate5828 wrote:

@Ew_Tux

Thats a good one.

And yet so simple, i really don't see how this got implimented in the first place.

The first thing i said to myself when i saw the visible spawns,
"Wait, what, I can see where they spawn?",
"How cheap is that" ... :smileyindifferent:

I then played a few rounds and noticed how it ruined the game, I haven't touched the multiplayer since.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21 (297 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Players need to be encouraged to leave the base - this could be increased XP for setting up team based objects such as the spawn beacon, or getting good XP for team mates spawning at your beacon or on you if you have the perk.

It's been mentioned by others, but perhaps each maps should be dotted with Rift Rich energy sources which waiting to be tapped? Like zones, but different - this will encourage exploration and fighting to maintain other areas of the map other than your base (for CTF and TDM, obviously)

The oppo team should not be able to build in your base (within a defined area) period!

No visible spawn or drop points, except to your team

everyone is visible on the map - turn that off unless you have been "seen" by an enemy or you are shooting

reduced cost for team based items, increased cost for lone wolf items

better XP for activities that encourage teamplay and support your team

oh, and more maps please - I feel short changed with what we have - especially with no infantry DM or very small map variants
YOUR FACE!
JUST PLAY IT!
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 21 (263 Views)