Causton97

95%
05 Rank
Progress

My Idea to Stop Base Ravaging

20 Replies 504 Views Created 26-05-2012
26 May 2012
By Causton97

Ok, first of all this is purely an idea, constructive criticism is appreciated!

Picture this:

The whole map allows you to continuously gain rift energy.

As in Battlefield 3, you have your spawn zone as an off limits area to the enemy team. This zone is a 'hangar' with sidewinder dispensers that you cannot build structures in.

Instead of building stuff inside your spawn zone, you HAVE to go outside to make a central base and move about the map if enemies invade your base. Tanks cannot go within a certain radius of your hangar so that you get a chance to get away. Your hangar is also inside a 'bowl' shaped canyon with multiple exits. 

This would solve the problem of base ravaging.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Ew_Tux

97%
05 Rank
Progress
Ew_Tux
Accepted Solution

Remove the visible spawn location ... problem solved.

Re: My Idea to Stop Base Ravaging

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Nate5828

29%
02 Rank
Progress
Nate5828
Accepted Solution

@Ew_Tux

Thats a good one.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

MusterBuster

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
MusterBuster
Accepted Solution

MB's 101 ways to stop the base rape.

Note, these suggestions are provided with a pinch of salt. Not all of them have merit, or even a hint of decency, and most a aimed at prevention of base raping rather than solving it after it's happened.

1. (as above) Remove the spawn location from the map and radar.
  2. Make players lose Rift when they enter the enemy base, which is given to the nearest player from the opposite team.
  3. In "Blitz" mode, ensure that the base structures which are present from the start respawn after a set amount of time
  4. Provide each base with a self destruct function that kills all players and destroys all structures without discrimination.
  5. Make "braping" (see what I did there?) a gameplay mechanic. If a Brape is detected, the game ends with the brapers winning and a new game begins.
  6. Implement a game mode which includes the ability to call for reinforcements: A pod storm, Apex Warriors, air strike etc.
  7. Add a "DEFCON 1" mechanic which, once all a team's structures are destroyed, allows them to spawn with full rift.
  8. Give players 2x health when in their home base (except in CTF mode).
  9. Implement a new structure designed to set off an alarm when an enemy enters the base and provide massive bonuses for killing the enemy who sets off the alarm.
  10. Implement a new structure which allows a player to adopt a "Command and Control" role, able to mark targets and take sole responsibility for base structures until he leaves the building or it is destroyed. Again, massive bonuses for obeying commands.
  11. Make proximity mines available from Supply Depots (though with a respawn timer far greater than the other weapons available there) to give players an extra "fire and forget" defensive weapon.
  12. Add more bonuses for players who take on a defensive role.

OK, that was 12 and not 101. That's just how I roll.

Discuss please!

MB

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Stezza

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Stezza
Accepted Solution

MusterBuster wrote:

1. (as above) Remove the spawn location from the map and radar.

This is the most logical place for the devs to start and the easiest to implement.

I do think, though, that the biggest problem is not related to the gameplay but the way servers are hosted. As I mentioned in another thread, there are too many people deliberately setting up unbalanced games and stacking one team with veteran players. 

In ranked servers you should not be able to turn off random teams or team balancing.

In fact, I'm not convinced that team balancing is functioning correctly, it seems to put people from the same clan on the same team all the time regardless of numbers. For example, if there  are 11 people in the game and 7 are from the same clan then the game will commence with 7 vs 4 which obviously distorts things from the get-go.

I would really like to see some official servers with stricter balancing rules or the addition of a 'Split Clans' option in the servers settings.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Causton97

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Causton97
Accepted Solution

I don't understand why we need the base and players lit up like christmas trees! Whenever I look on the map I see enemy players regardless of having the perk or not. People should only appear on the map when shooting! We could also have random sub base locations perhaps that are unmarked on the map perhaps that we can spawn at like a pre built outpost...

Or what if bases change when they are conquered? You overwhelm the enemy base and the spawn locations are changed for both teams. So if you take over a base, you take it at the cost of losing all your team structures in the old base and become unable to spawn there. Then the losing time can spawn safely and are given more rift energy upon spawning when losing by a certain score. This gives them a chance to fight back!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Cloudburst--

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Cloudburst--
Accepted Solution
Don't we this ever being balanced even with the patch. You can't have team deathmatch that allows teams to sit in your spawn blowing up everything. . .its just fundamentally flawed.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Ew_Tux

97%
05 Rank
Progress
Ew_Tux
Accepted Solution

Nate5828 wrote:

@Ew_Tux

Thats a good one.

And yet so simple, i really don't see how this got implimented in the first place.

The first thing i said to myself when i saw the visible spawns,
"Wait, what, I can see where they spawn?",
"How cheap is that" ... :smileyindifferent:

I then played a few rounds and noticed how it ruined the game, I haven't touched the multiplayer since.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

morgothemighty

• Beta Tester
96%
03 Rank
Progress
morgothemighty
Accepted Solution
Players need to be encouraged to leave the base - this could be increased XP for setting up team based objects such as the spawn beacon, or getting good XP for team mates spawning at your beacon or on you if you have the perk.

It's been mentioned by others, but perhaps each maps should be dotted with Rift Rich energy sources which waiting to be tapped? Like zones, but different - this will encourage exploration and fighting to maintain other areas of the map other than your base (for CTF and TDM, obviously)

The oppo team should not be able to build in your base (within a defined area) period!

No visible spawn or drop points, except to your team

everyone is visible on the map - turn that off unless you have been "seen" by an enemy or you are shooting

reduced cost for team based items, increased cost for lone wolf items

better XP for activities that encourage teamplay and support your team

oh, and more maps please - I feel short changed with what we have - especially with no infantry DM or very small map variants

YOUR FACE!
JUST PLAY IT!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Stezza

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Stezza
Accepted Solution

morgothemighty wrote:
Players need to be encouraged to leave the base - this could be increased XP for setting up team based objects such as the spawn beacon, or getting good XP for team mates spawning at your beacon or on you if you have the perk.

There is a medal for having 10 people spawn on your beacon, can't remember what it's called but I've earned it a couple of times, I think it gives you 75xp. It wouldn't a bad idea to reduce the requirement and award it every 5 spawns.

morgothemighty wrote:
It's been mentioned by others, but perhaps each maps should be dotted with Rift Rich energy sources which waiting to be tapped? Like zones, but different - this will encourage exploration and fighting to maintain other areas of the map other than your base (for CTF and TDM, obviously)

I don't see why there can't be one permanent winnable zone in the middle of each map, the large maps are so enourmous I think it could be incorporated without detracting from the Build & Battle system.

With regards to the 'Rift Rich energy sources', we already have Rift Barrels so perhaps they could contain a lot more Rift (or maybe there could be a couple of über-barrels in prime locations), encouraging people to fight over their control.

morgothemighty wrote:

oh, and more maps please - I feel short changed with what we have - especially with no infantry DM or very small map variants

Couldn't agree more. In Warhawk I loved maps like Grinder, Urban Strike, Garden Showdown etc., they were perfect for small-handed infantry battles. It's a real shame there's nothing like that in Starhawk.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

morgothemighty

• Beta Tester
96%
03 Rank
Progress
morgothemighty
Accepted Solution
cheers Stezza

I think you should get 10xp every time somebody spawns on you/your SB - then an award at 10 or 5 as you suggest

I would rather get rid of the rift barrels and install rift fissures (whatever you want to call them) which need to be tapped - basically it's captuarble zones with gifts!

Some of the maps are just too damn big and fighting from one end to the other with nothing in between is a boring slog

Small maps are definitely needed to break up the gameplay of the large maps - I wanted to re-ignite the MMMM night, but without small maps I don't see the point

YOUR FACE!
JUST PLAY IT!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TheTreeFrog

• Beta Tester
95%
06 Rank
Progress
TheTreeFrog
Accepted Solution

morgothemighty wrote:
cheers Stezza

I think you should get 10xp every time somebody spawns on you/your SB - then an award at 10 or 5 as you suggest

I would rather get rid of the rift barrels and install rift fissures (whatever you want to call them) which need to be tapped - basically it's captuarble zones with gifts!

Some of the maps are just too damn big and fighting from one end to the other with nothing in between is a boring slog

Small maps are definitely needed to break up the gameplay of the large maps - I wanted to re-ignite the MMMM night, but without small maps I don't see the point

Evidently Troop and Tank DMs are on the way, as is the free Cypress map pack.

Personally I'd like to see the option of non-ranking games.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

morgothemighty

• Beta Tester
96%
03 Rank
Progress
morgothemighty
Accepted Solution
Aye, I was aware of that - don't know when it's coming though - they are also reducing the cost of spawn beacons in the upcoming patch.

Having read through the patch notes, it looks like they are trying to address the base ravaging issue, but to me, it doesn't look like it will be enough - like most patches, it will probably anger 40%, please 40% and 20% will go wha?

The game needs some physical changes to how it plays, but I honestly doubt they will happen - the biggest being rift focal points that are to be captured to create strategic game points away from the base - I think this is a step too far from what has been laid down as the core game mechanic - rift barrels are not enough

YOUR FACE!
JUST PLAY IT!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

wingkong85

97%
04 Rank
Progress
wingkong85
Accepted Solution

I think Morgo is on to something with bonus points for team-based activities and buildings (especially spawn beacons) although I think if you hand out points for players using your structures, then people will recall them and put theirs down instead to claim the points.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Shifty_Geezer

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Shifty_Geezer
Accepted Solution
I think people are throwing out too many ideas where only a couple need to be implemented to change things The Outpost is being reduced to 4 rift cost. that means more outposts and more spawning, which means more XP from spawners. If we also add more XP for peope spawning on bases, and even more energy lying around on top of the skills, we introduce more imbalance. Everyone will ahve stupid amounts of energy, skills will be useless, XP farming will become an objective, etc.. The usual response of people to correct a problem is typically to go too far in the other direction, and I'm seeing that now. Let's see how the hotfix changes the experience first, before suggesting large-scale changes are needed. The Beta was working with the current mechanic and in theory we just need tuning to get back to that sort of tight, varied gameplay.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Causton97

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Causton97
Accepted Solution

Yep, I think we've gained 3 solid ideas here that should definitely be put forward to the developers!

I mean seriously put them forward. Spam them if you have to but MAKE SURE they take notice!

1.) Having spawn locations/bases off the radar

2.) Having fissures instead of barrels) although some people could argue that this makes zones pointless...

3.) More teamwork points! I know it was suggested that people would claim the points themselves but I can't see this happening if it's implemented properly and they're equally distributed. Points for the people that supply stuff and points for using stuff too! 

The game could turn into 'xp farming' but perhaps they could do a Battlefield 3 and make the levels take a relatively long time to level up! It would make the game last longer for most people too. Plus they're planning more levels anyway so that'll be good! If you work harder for your bonuses it makes you appreciate them more!

Oh and I still think it would be a good idea for outposts to have some defensive structures with them to protect them because they're quite fragile! Or they could just buff their health up...

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Shifty_Geezer

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Shifty_Geezer
Accepted Solution
XP farming is only a problem with ranks that come with rewards. In Warhawk, rank meant nothing except bragging rights, so people would play the game to enjoy themselves. The introduction of levelling and unlocks means some people will focus on cheap ways to level up. Another serious problem with level unlocks is whne new players are at a disadvantage because they have inferior skills or equpiment. That's not a problem when playing similarly ranked players, but it's a great frustration when high ranked players (who'ce XP farmed maybe) use their rocket launcher or sniper rifle to kill you over and over where your low level means you're stuck with the pistol only.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

rowlands121

96%
02 Rank
Progress
rowlands121
Accepted Solution

jumped in on the usual problem yesterday, Dust Ground pounder.

joined the game to find our spawn with loads of Enemy tanks , a shield , and even a supply bunker.

team were desperatly trying to land on the tanks without success, so i spawned straight into their supply bunker started shooting the tanks with rockets, eventually after a couple of respawns, managed to clear out the enemy tanks, so i built a tank depot, inside the enemy shield next to the supply bunker.

all was well until the noobs on my team all spawned in , shot the hell out of the ememy shield and destroyed the bunker i was using.

just in time for the enemy to roll up with a new batch of tanks, and level our spawn area again.

A SHIELD IS A SHIELD IS A SHIELD. if your up against the wall, use the enemy shield to protect your tanks.

we could have cleared the enemy out by spawing a few tanks and hiding behind their shield.

then replacing it with our own , when we had earned enough rift.

Honestly you cant help some people.:manfrustrated:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

HackenbushPhD

37%
02 Rank
Progress
HackenbushPhD
Accepted Solution

Shifty_Geezer wrote:
I think people are throwing out too many ideas where only a couple need to be implemented to change things The Outpost is being reduced to 4 rift cost. that means more outposts and more spawning, which means more XP from spawners. If we also add more XP for peope spawning on bases, and even more energy lying around on top of the skills, we introduce more imbalance. Everyone will ahve stupid amounts of energy, skills will be useless, XP farming will become an objective, etc.. The usual response of people to correct a problem is typically to go too far in the other direction, and I'm seeing that now. Let's see how the hotfix changes the experience first, before suggesting large-scale changes are needed. The Beta was working with the current mechanic and in theory we just need tuning to get back to that sort of tight, varied gameplay.

Great post! People get quite carried away with ways to change the game, when I imagine it is incredibly difficult for the developers to balance. Every tweak is bound to have a knock on effect, so the first port of call is surely to make subtle adjustments to existing variables, like weapon strength, spawn times and rift costs and see what happens (which they are doing). Plus these things can probably be changed relatively easily, rather than programming in new game features and changes to the actual battlefield. If the tweaks to existing factors don't work, then they can start to look at new mechanics. I have some faith that LBI know vaguely what they are doing and the game will get better and better, I just hope everyone hasn't jumped ship by then!

Some things could and maybe should have been picked up on in the latter stages of the beta, but having said that, they couldn't balance out everything, no developer in their right mind would release a complete set of in-game elements free of charge (albeit on just a couple of maps), when they are about to charge £40 for the final game.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Causton97

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Causton97
Accepted Solution

The devs should have some test servers or something that people can join to give direct feedback to the devs and test out balance tweaks for them! Then they'll know what works and what doesn't with direct involvement from the playerbase! So it's like on Steam where they have beta updates that you can try... except on Starhawk, they would be beta servers!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Shifty_Geezer

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Shifty_Geezer
Accepted Solution

Causton97 wrote:

This would solve the problem of base ravaging.

It'd also change the nature of the game.

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel