84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Servers

16 Replies 247 Views Created 12-06-2012

When I'm looking for a game is that ALL the servers available? Is that the total of players on the planet playing Starhawk at the time? I count less then 300 players in the servers visible on average.

I thought the Warhawk servers were the best I've ever seen in regards to info and set up. Something similar might force everybody to fill the servers instead of having servers that look like 6/32, 7/16, 12/24 etc.

Also the current set up would have to be rife with stat padding/boosting etc. Having the ability to create ranked games containing just 2 players is insane!

I'm not having a whinge but trying to get my head around the thought put into the whole server setup.

LABELS:
 photo PS4Sig2_zps1c32b7aa.png
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Award Winner
/16

Axe99

• Award Winner
92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Axe99
Accepted Solution
I'm actually not against having ranked games with small player counts - for example, if me and FX are on early on a Sunday morning, then we can set the game up, have a min player count of two and just mess around until others come on, rather than sitting there in 'waiting for four players' limbo for 5-10 mins. Have actually had some really enjoyable 1v1s this way. While there is stat padding, there is _always_ stat padding, no matter the game and team size - I've seen stat-padding in domination on MAG, with a team size of 120-odd, so upping the min player count won't fix it. Just making it matchmaking won't help either.

Basically, online gamers need to accept that the only stats worth looking at are those of their friends and of reputable clans - anything else can and often is stat-padded. I've played a whole bunch of online games on PS3 since launch, and all restrictions on game set-ups do is make it less fun for legitimate players, without actually stopping the twits who stat-pad. It's like preventing everyone from drinking alcohol because a small proportion of people turn violent and beat people up after drinking.

Re: Servers

/16

mikeymonty

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mikeymonty
Accepted Solution
Someone posted on the fb page that sh was number 74 on the sales charts and sold less copies than gta4.... horrible marketing yet again...

Photobucket
/16

weezernz

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
weezernz
Accepted Solution
In response to Cal's question, there are actually many more servers going on than are displayed in your list. Try changing the filters around and you'll see different servers come up. Dylan has mentioned (either by tweet or blog) somewhere that they are working to fix this with an update, so that you can view the entire list at one time.

/16

Caltallica

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Caltallica
Accepted Solution

@ Wii, Yeah did that mate. filters set to display the max amount of players and games.

Next server question:

I'm nearing my rift skill badge so there's cake all over the servers and last night only 4 yellow fist servers where available to me.

If I play cake servers I am of the understanding that I will be penalised for playing less skilled players then myself. Correct?

Only 4 yellow servers where available and then they were frustratingly stupid with me stuck on the teams that would:

1. build 32 structures and no hawk base!?

2. Have players demantling our own Hawk base!?

3. Players that just base camped!? (supply bunkers ARRRRGGGHHHHH!)

4. Players giving me advice over the mic in TDM when I was the ONLY ONE scoring points!? (My head still hurts thinking about that one).

5. Rift skill badges stacked on the opposing team!?

6. Teams quiting and I find myself fighting off a base ravage (THIS happens a LOT).

Also I'm sick of feeling that I have to stomp some poor ***** as he respawns to get somewhere in this game. Unfortunately if it's not them it's you.

I hope the game balances out very, very, soon.

Last night I had to turn it off, I was SOOOOO depressed & frustrated over a stupid game.

/16

weezernz

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
weezernz
Accepted Solution

I don't think you'll be penalised for playing the cake servers as such, you just won't improve your skill score by as much as you would if you did well in a fist/skull game. It's still worth playing the cake servers and winning if you can't find a good fist server.

There was another balance update overnight so perhaps the balancing will be better now. Tonight is guaranteed to be fun anyway, you'll be playing with us!

[ Edited ]
/16

Smokin-gunzz

76%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Smokin-gunzz
Accepted Solution

LOl caltalica at being annoyed enough to turn it off, I know where your coming from , i do the same , love it & hate it at the same time

but on topic the server list has had me wondering too , i used to get about 25 servers listed, then after the last update my server list grew to about 50 games available .

I also noticed sometimes ppl on my friends list are in a game that does not appear on the list of available servers,

I think i read somewhere that lightbox are aware of the problem & are working on it ?

I remember when warhawk was new there were around 600 servers to choose from  ,

I cant help wondering how they have so many basic issues after 3 years development .

At least they are working on it

Now if there were just a way to patch the noobs & campers...

/16

Caltallica

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Caltallica
Accepted Solution

@ Wii, Oh for sure mate, tonight is ON! Raven will be there too :Thumbs:

@ Gunzz, all true mate.

Lol CAMPERS! :Stupid: It really does my head in & poor Raven has to live with the state that these noobs put me in :Lol: ARRGGGHHHHH! (there I go again).

Hope to see you join in the festivities tonight too gunnz :smileywink:

/16

mikeymonty

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mikeymonty
Accepted Solution

@ gunzy, there's an option to display full servers under filters

Photobucket
/16

SCARE-KRO

53%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SCARE-KRO
Accepted Solution

What servers do you guys join? NA ones that say full connection? Or EU ones, hoping for aussies? Sometimes I join a game that supposedly has full connection but I am lagging by about 2 secs...... I find the only way I can play properly is to host my own server......

/16

Caltallica

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Caltallica
Accepted Solution

I could have written that exact post KRO :smileywink:

QD do sometimes throw up the "ANZ QUICK AND THE DEAD" server. It's much the same as the Wednesday night server but no password required.

If it hasn't been done I'm gonna suggest everyone on this forum add each other to their friends lists. That will make it easier to get games with players from the same region.

I'll make room on my list before tonights games to start adding ANZ Starhawkers.

Award Winner
/16

Axe99

• Award Winner
92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Axe99
Accepted Solution
Very disappointing run this evening, not a single server that appealed to me - 3/4s were Dust, and all the ones with 'all maps' were 5 capture CTF games with half an hour times, and given how often CTF games end in a stalemate, it'd be faster-paced watching England and NZ playing test cricket. Set up my own, but no-one was about so went off and played Space Marine instead (which, if anyone has PS+, should not be neglected, it's good, simple fun :)).

/16

weezernz

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
weezernz
Accepted Solution
I had a similar experience yesterday. Doesn't anyone like a good game of Zones anymore?! I set the filter to only show zones games and there were only 6 worldwide.

Award Winner
/16

Axe99

• Award Winner
92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Axe99
Accepted Solution
I deffo reckon the game would benefit from having some standard 'medley' servers up there, but it's all good - most important thing is local servers. It's still fun though, GGs yesterday morning (afternoon over your way) Weez :)

/16

weezernz

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
weezernz
Accepted Solution
Yeah those were some good games, despite the handful of smack talking American wallies that joined in.

/16

SCARE-KRO

53%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SCARE-KRO
Accepted Solution

Missed the game tonight :( Writing reports that were due this afternoon instead

Award Winner
/16

Axe99

• Award Winner
92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Axe99
Accepted Solution
We missed ya too Scare-kro, but real life's always gotta take top spot, dag nab it ;). The game'll back next week :).

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel