43%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

So... Use Hawks or just die then?

27 Replies 477 Views Created 20-05-2012

I've been looking forward to this game for months.  I played some single player at Eurogamer last year and then I put some time into the multiplayer beta.  Being a big fan of games like Star Wars: Battlefront, this seemed to be a good alternative (plus I like the Warhawk games).

Unfortunately the multiplayer is really blowing hot and cold for me right now.  IMO, it has the potential to be great - like one of the best titles on the PS3 great.  But it needs some tweaks and changes.  Because at the moment, it feels like you're forced to either use Hawks, or add yourself to the list of Hawk player victims.  I get it, the Hawks are the flagship unit of the series, but they are so OP, it just breaks the game!  It just makes the game very one dimensional.  Hawk players murder everything and ground troops are forced to turtle up and spam turrets at the base.

They can use shielding to land in your base and go on a murder spree, cloaking to avoid any kind of lock on, land in your base and go on a murder spree and if that's not working for you, why not grab a nuke and instantly wipe out a base that costs 10 times the amount of the unit you're flying?  A ground troop's rocket launcher is next to useless against a flying Hawk.  When I fire a rocket, I'm purely firing with the intention of harassing to help an ally Hawk shoot him down.

Of course there's the ground pound option.  But then, take away the Hawk entirely and the tank takes over as king of the field.  The only bright side is that at least it's more expensive to roll out (initially) than a Hawk.  Ground troops are pretty much still forced to sit in the base. and turtle up with turrets.

Here's my ideas to balance everything and make things more interesting...

Hawks:  Get rid of the nuke entirely.  Shielding improves armour a little, but doesn't make the Hawk invincible.  Cloaking only works in aircraft mode - A second after firing or transforming, cloaking disables.  Dodging a ground troop's rocket takes better timing.  A few cluster bombs are added when a Hawk is spawned.

Hawks and tanks cost 8 blocks to initially put down, then 4 for additional spawns.

Red enemy target arrows do not show up on ground troops, but still do for vehicles.  Pod/building landing location only available to allies.  Green ground troop arrows still available so players can see locations of allies.  Maybe a small indication/alert to notify you when you are in enemy territory and at risk of being mancaked.  The lack of a target arrow means ground troops have a fair chance of taking on a tank and avoiding Hawks.  Jump packs put a target arrow over your head when you use them, but not when you're running on the ground.

Building outside the base requires an outpost to be put down first.  This provides a small area to build within so that it limits the amount of buildings/turrets that can be placed around it.

Automated beam turrets can only fire at ground units.  Automated Flak turrets only fire at air targets.  Manning one of these allows you to fire at both air and ground targets.

Add a vehicle which uses an EMP weapon.  The EMP shot disables shield generators for 1 minute.  It takes either a few shots (like 5) on the shield bubble to bring it down, or one direct shot on the generator itself.  Alternate machine gun weapon to help defend itself.  Maybe add a limited shot distance for the EMP shot so that players can't just disable the enemy base from their own.

Take out the following skills:

Ability to melee vehicles/buildings.

Ability to be undetected by automated turrets.

I think these changes would get ground troops to leave their base and enjoy some covert style gameplay.  Hawks would be set up for bombing runs as well as dogfighting and ground vehicles would have the purpose of base/shield attacks to help get the Hawks an opening to attack with less risk of being shot to pieces.  The changes could also make for some cool mid map battles between all types of units too. 

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

goodiechewshoes

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
goodiechewshoes
Accepted Solution

You want to change way too much in one go.

There is nothing really wrong with the perks (bruiser, and the turret evading one)

i agree that the hawk shield should not be allowed in mech form. Invisibility is fine the way it is.

and The cluster bomb needs some work like only 4 rounds or way slower respawn... the rest is pretty good for hawks.

The tank is fine too but I feel it should cost about 4rift to spawn a tank, especially in ground pounder mode where u can't use hawks to balance it as in heavy weight mode.

0 Kudos

Re: So... Use Hawks or just die then?

/16

LocoBoom

33%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LocoBoom
Accepted Solution

Air superiority is much more difficult now that in Warhawk as long as you are playing in a descent team. You can build you base in that way that will be a fortress for the poor hawks. And real strong air weapons are more rare than Warhawk.

But except of that. Now in Starhawk they introduced games with only ground weapons, for all these people that don't deal with hawks. And I think this is very smart in order to not make people get frustated. Let them enjoy the game with their own abilities!!

0 Kudos

/16

POPPA-KLUMP

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
POPPA-KLUMP
Accepted Solution
Bruiser is deffinatly over powered! It's a good idea for a perk, and I get your reasoning about it is because you have to get close, but that and a bike together is just a little silly. To many times have I been defending only to have one guy take out a whole base with a knife, a mech or tank I can handle, 1 guy 1 knife is a bit ridiculous.

It's true you need to get the hang of the hawks but once you do you can protect alot easier, I've started to get there and now I love em, at first u kinda resigned my self to the ground troops now I'm a multi purpose killing machine..... Well kinda😉
0 Kudos

/16

ANW2512

78%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ANW2512
Accepted Solution

I agree......reduce the useage of hawks. Its only [DELETED] that rely on their power........

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Nate5828

29%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Nate5828
Accepted Solution

Yup thats about right.  The game is going to be unbalanced if your team sucks anyway.  Lets not pull a Black Ops and nerf anything, I think starthawk is exactly how it should be.

0 Kudos

/16

Stezza

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Stezza
Accepted Solution

One thing I would like to change would be to disable the shield and cloak whilst in Mech mode, I've no problem with them being used whilst the Hawk is in flight but having them available on the ground is too much.

In the early stages of the beta I thought that infantry vs mech battles were relatively well balanced, the introduction of the shield and cloak skewed things massively in favour of the mech. It will be interesting to see what effect the forthcoming patch has.

/16

saberdragon

91%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
saberdragon
Accepted Solution

Stezza wrote:

One thing I would like to change would be to disable the shield and cloak whilst in Mech mode, I've no problem with them being used whilst the Hawk is in flight but having them available on the ground is too much.

In the early stages of the beta I thought that infantry vs mech battles were relatively well balanced, the introduction of the shield and cloak skewed things massively in favour of the mech. It will be interesting to see what effect the forthcoming patch has.

In the early stages of the Beta I think the R/L was a two shot magazine so you could take on the Mech's...

But it was deemed too unsporting to kill Mech's quickly before they had a chance to Stomp,MG & Swarm the enemy so we now have the one shot R/L we have now....

But yes get rid of the Shields & Cloak in Mech mode if they think there good enough to land in an enemy base then land without them & see how it goes.....

0 Kudos

men of the imperium do you want to live for ever!!!
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel