05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Starhawk Public Beta: Leave your feedback

239 Replies 2,024 Views Created 17-01-2012

Hey War/Starhawk fans.

So just because Starhawk has already been through a much sought after private beta and it's only about to go public now doesn't mean the guys behind the game are going to stop asking for feedback.

The first stage of the public trial is due to go ahead tomorrow (18th of January) for PS Plus Subscribers and anyone who was on the private trial and didn't delete the beta (according to the blog anyway, have a look in your Download List to see if you can find it).

Other stages of the public trial are:

February 1st: Those who are getting access from purchasing Uncharted 3 will receive an email.  In order to get this email you’ll have had to redeemed your Online Network Pass found inside the boxed copy and made sure you’ve opted into receiving marketing emails.

February 22nd:  Anyone who has a PSN Account should be able to get into the beta.  I'm assuming you can just pop into the PlayStation Store and you should see it there.  if not then more info should be available nearer the time.

So when you're playing the trial and feel like commenting on it, just reply to this thread with your feedback and we'll pass it onto the devs.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
yaster's Streambadge
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

Liam511

• Beta Tester
99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Liam511
Accepted Solution

Triazic wrote:

OK but what if I don't like where you want the buildings?

Fact of the matter is this will fail to please everyone, and removes strategy from the game. If you notice in CTF that your enemy loves coming from the left of your base on acid sea, then you should be able to position your bunker and a wall gate to block off that point of entry.

If your team (not just you playing for yourself) think the bunker should be moved, reclaim the pre made one and pt one where its going to help?

If I want to put a garage near the repair tool on the right side of acid sea then I should be able to do that so that I can spawn on the repair tool and make a quick forward movement.

Now, yes, I can still do these things but now the team has multiples of the same buildings... which is a point this patch was meant to address.

Not if you reclaim it... and tbh the way people play it theres multiples of everything right next to each other because a) you get 300 points for building things and b) theres no restrictions on building two (for example) sniper towers directly next to each other. Maybe people think they cant use the already made one? who knows.

As far as slowing down the game at the start, this is absolutely what should be done. With the pre-built buildings the game is akin to having a match of age of empires where each side starts at age four or five or what-not and the game becomes a defensive stalemate.

lolwut this is Starhawk. 

No, the game only becomes a defensive stalemate if you stay in the base. with there being a garage and bunker you can quickly grab a launcher and razorback, head to a rift barrel and get more rift then go to the middle and set up a new pod beacon.

As far as people in public matches being idiots, yes, they can be. But now this situation is punishing players who actually know how to play the game and are more likely to be long term fans of the game.  

People who know how to play the game wont stay in the base building pointless walls and will go out to get the flag/kills.

Finally, in all practicality, just stand behind your team and see what stuff they put down, THEN put down your buildings to prevent duplicates. If your team puts down duplicates, reclaim them and let them know how pointless it is on over your mic that you should have in a game of communication and strategy such as this.

This means watching over your team the whole game, and tbh I dont see how you have the time to both get the flag and btry to build forward bases AS WELL AS reclaim the dozen or so walls you dont need only for them to built again.

I'd far prefer to deal with noobs being noobs than have advanced strategy diminished.

If they really want these buildings, why not give everyone four rift bars upon spawning (first spawn only)? Voila, all the mid-high tier buildings you want.  

Because then everyone builds 2 hawk spawns/ garages at the start for no reason.

By the way, because you already have the bunkers, hawk pads and garages at the start, it's commonplace to spawn on the top of the skyscraper in space, shoot the barrels and have a beam cannon at the start of the game, in addition to all the pre-existing buildings because people now have a lot of rift to burn. With that rift you can also spam turrets. if that doesn't make the game a defensive snoozefest I don't know what will. 

I go to the middle of Space at the strart of every game. It's the best tactic Ive found, claiming a base in the middle of either map if key to advancing, Expecially on Space due to the rift barrels allowing for a full base and walking distance of the flag.

My thoughts.

Re: Starhawk Public Beta: Leave your feedback

this is the last time I'll abandon you
/16

dorokusai

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dorokusai
Accepted Solution
Why cant i lock on to turrets anymore with my warhawk. I loved diving in and blowing stuff up. Another update Another blow for the hawks. Once the enemy has a shield up there safe from from fly by assaults . At least give pilots a chance against beam turrets they shud definatetly be lockable. hawk mg im on about maybe make beam turrets missile lockable
0 Kudos

/16

Triazic

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triazic
Accepted Solution

Hmmm yes the problem is that in public matches EVERYONE seems to be defensive. Pre-patch, I was continually the ONLY one on either team to capture the flag, and regularly had 2-5 flag captures. (now I can barely capture the flag at all on my own anymore)

At the start of the game (pre-patch) just rush in and leave your noob teammates to entertain themselves with pointless walls, get 1, maybe 2 flags (by the way, this created some of the most epic moments of the game, rushing away with their flag with a gunner on the back whilst being harassed by enemy razorbacks and winning) and with all that rift set up a a couple of beam cannons in the main base as well as a forward base (by now the boring players have already attempted to defend the main base enough). Then with jetpack+rocket launcher, take out ONE wall for a point of entry for a razorback, and annihilate the turrets that people spam. 

Chuck down a garage, capture the rest of the flags. Game over. 

With the patch now the first thing you have to do is wipe out the enemy base and then capture the flag... just flat-out slows down the gameplay. 

Oh yeah before I forget, my tactic right there is NOT abusive. It is SO easy to counter by just spawning on an elevated position where you can't be run over and cannot feasibly be shot down by a gunner on the back of razorback whilst moving at speed (on top of your flag in Acid Sea and on a skyscraper in Space); and then just shoot down the razorback and piff grenades when they get out to get the flag. Voila! You have a bunch of XP, 1+ kills and four rift and can built whatever you want anyway. Especially if they managed to actually pick up the flag, then dropped it.. you can return it for bonus. 

As for my age of empires comment, I know it's not entirely in context eh, but the point I was making is that it cuts out an element of gameplay - the early game and skips straight to mid-late game. 

At the very least I would love to be able to create games with this setting turned off. 

As for the duplicate stuff, it happens anyway. Even with the patch, I saw three garages right next to each other regardless. The game REALLY needs an online tutorial, particularly explaining the building limit, reclaiming, weapon spawns and vehicle spawns. I think that would cut down on a lot of the confusion and duplicates. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Triazic

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triazic
Accepted Solution

Or a balance element could be to reduce the rift each player has to 1 or 2 bars, given that each base already has the 'big'/useful buildings. 

With these buildings given for free, it is now perfectly possible (with co-ordination) for a base to have jetpacks, 2 bunkers, walls, turrets, beam cannons and energy shields (using the space method) within 30 seconds. This is absurd. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

terryhill

35%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
terryhill
Accepted Solution

i can see your point, however  i think the whole point of having larger quantities of rift is that you create "advance" bases. for example on the space station map you can jetpack/hawk across to the seperated areas that overlook the enemy base and set up a bunker, tower, drop pod etc there
get  few team mates and its pretty difficult to crack.
i agree that the shield is too good right now, its prety unbreakable without  concentrated foot soldier charge, or a sneaky commando style attack from an unexpected angle.
maybe have the lightning gun for the hawks from warhawk be capable of shorting it out for say, 10 secs?

i dunno, i understand that it needs to be good for the cost, and it isnt completley perfect, but it does nullify a good 75% of methods of attack

0 Kudos

/16

Triazic

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triazic
Accepted Solution

True, but the thing is in public games people tend to not use the rift for forward bases and just make their home base into an impenetrable fortress, turning the game into a 0-0 snooze fest. 

0 Kudos

/16

Triazic

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triazic
Accepted Solution

Yup, just had the exact same experience. This wasn't really a problem before, but now people have rift to burn. 

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Liam511

• Beta Tester
99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Liam511
Accepted Solution
Are you complaining that the game is now too hard for you or what?
Pre made structure quicken the start of the game, I can now spawn, collect my weapons, grab a hawk/razorback and head out to set up a base or get the flag. Nothings changed apart from being able to get weapons.
The problem is the position of the buildings just now, The garage on Acid Sea seems to make people think they need to build walls around it and the flag, wasting about 15 or so slots.

/16

Triazic

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triazic
Accepted Solution

It is harder, because it is significantly more difficult for one person to win a game of CTF singlehandedly. But honestly, that's a good thing. 

The problem is that the game becomes far too defensive. (in my experience, and I basically played the whole day today). 

There are some games where I can continue to rush in, grab the flag etc because the enemy are too busy doing something else but most games I'm left to fend for myself against bunkers, beam cannons, jetpackers, and hawks on my own because my teammates are having fun tinkering with walls and spamming 50 of the same building at the home base.

This patch did nothing to address the duplicates, all that is required is to provide a tutorial. 

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Liam511

• Beta Tester
99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Liam511
Accepted Solution
yeah but remember theres alot of new players, uncharted 3 people only just got in and are still learning. when the full game is out theres going to be new people and veterans who know whats happening and youll be able to play with friends etc.

/16

shika1983

97%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shika1983
Accepted Solution
Toward about the difference between knowing what your doing and not. Watched a player get 3 very quick flag captures, three games on the trot.

It involved the very simple tactic of spawning on the hawk pad, getting himself a hawk, flying to the outer edges and shooting the rift barrels to get himself rift. After that the simple strategy of just flying straight onto the fly platform, grabbing the flag and then building a jeep spawn to drive himself out. It worked every single time because the team didn't know how to deal with it even they nearly all of them were in the base building.

I got killed everytime I tried to stop him but for me that kind of contradicts that this has become harder when you see someone repeat the same strategy over and over and no one can stop him. Not that it is impossible to stop it just the new people aren't aware of how to play properly yet.

Shika1983
/16

Triazic

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triazic
Accepted Solution

You can start chucking grenades as the garage comes down. I think razorbacks go down in 2 grenades... the priority is not to take out the flag bearer (you can just bunny hop and crouch and you're almost impossible to kill) but to take out their transport. Without it they will be completely destroyed because they're on foot. It also takes about the same time to get in the razorback and start driving as it does to get pummeled by 3 grenades.  I know it works because I have been killed many times this way when people focus on the razorback ;)

With that rift build a bunker and you're away. The difference being that you can choose where to put it. I tend to put it along the main path or to the right with a gate to block off that point of entry (the left is almost impossible to block off; I know because I've scooted past enemy walls along that little ridge bit. You're better off setting up your walls further along on the left to deny the enemy the rift and chance of that forward base.)

The hawk is not a threat when in mech form. Bunny hop+grenade+strafe+hip fire machine gun = dead hawk 9 times out of 10 unless they fly away or pummel you with a well-timed homing missile.  In my experience of using the hawk and seeing enemy hawks, the value in them is taking out enemy buildings/walls, distractions, taking out enemy razorbacks (VERY useful - not only are hawks exceptionally good at it but they're basically the only thing that can chase them down - the jetpack is arguably fast enough but you WILL run out of fuel) and taking out hawks that are taking out your team's razorbacks (I have never seen anyone do this due to it being actually intelligent ;) but seems legit)

0 Kudos

/16

Triazic

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triazic
Accepted Solution

Oh right, sorry didn't see your 'not that it is impossible, it's just that people don't know how to play yet'. 

I should hope that they will know how to conquer that in the full game (see above), especially if the developers provide a decent, in-depth tutorial with some strategies OR incorporate it into singleplayer, such as there being a mission where enemy razorbacks are attempting to steal something and a hint thing pops up 'always focus fire on the vehicle; without transport the enemy can not escape with that flag/intel/power core/rift core/whateverthe***they'restealing.'

Free bunker, hawk pads and garages are not required for this... at the very least reduce the amount of rift a player has on the first spawn, since they are given the most useful buildings for free now. In my view half of the strategy comes from not only building up your setups, but in interrupting and harrassing the enemy's efforts... this strategy has been taken out (from the early game) and abusive tactics now need to be taken such as putting a bunker within view of the enemy base, which I don't feel good about on principle haha. 

0 Kudos

/16

terryhill

35%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
terryhill
Accepted Solution

if you have half the team defending and half the team attacking it IS possible to take a flag in the enemy base if they're all defending, you just need some sneaky people to get in and drop the shield, then have enough snipers/bunkers to cover that team grabbing the flag and running like hell

it's not easy (and lets be honest, if it was easy to break a whole teams defense it would be unbalanced the other way) but it is doable. probably my favourite improvement over warhawk is that stealth works even better as a legitimate strategy now.

now if i could only find where the mines spawn i could do some proper sabotage.....

haha

0 Kudos

/16

dorokusai

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dorokusai
Accepted Solution
to terry hill finally found the mines on acid sea they at top of hill up sum ladders halfway between both bases look 4 the green
0 Kudos

/16

barefot

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
barefot
Accepted Solution

the mines are in the middle of the maps.... you will find them ;)

0 Kudos

have fun and play naked
/16

Triazic

54%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Triazic
Accepted Solution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOPb9WxSvM4

Locations of mines and repair tool. 

And yeah, it's better for balance assuming you do have half of the team and half of the team attacking. Which never seems to happen for me lol. 

0 Kudos

/16

terryhill

35%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
terryhill
Accepted Solution

wonderful, thank you all very much!

0 Kudos

/16

ej_the_shadow

49%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ej_the_shadow
Accepted Solution

I want to give some feedback.

I think they should add flinch or damage people near a pod when they open. I was playing a match when my team literally made a bas right next to the enemies', and we were kill spamming enemies when they fell from the pod. 

P.S. It was fun to do that. We finished 152 vs. 56. LOL

0 Kudos

/16

Steaming-Turd

66%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Steaming-Turd
Accepted Solution

FAO Lightbox Team

I have really enjoyed playing the Beta version, and think some good improvements have been made since the first version that I saw (1.2.2).

As a three year 'veteran'of Warhawk, I think that the the potential for games to be spoiled by smart arses has been greatly reduced in Starhawk, mainly due to the hawk's inability to hover - long may that continue. And the host migration concept is brilliant.

I have suffered several system crashes during games and on one occasion (whilst using the PS at a lower resolution) the games list became invisible. The yellow highlight box did move, and you could enter what ever 'ghost' game was highlighted, so they were there, just not shown. Not had the same problem when using HD resolution.

My only major gripe at the moment is that when you stand next to the monitor on the lauchpad to call down a hawk, some other chancer can stand next to the spawn point and pinch your hawk - bloody annoying! It would be nice if selecting square whilst standing next to the monitor not only called down the hawk, but also put you in it! Either that, or make the hawk only available to whoever has coughed the valuable rift to buy it!

Minor gripes -

- it would be nice to have the indicator on the map to show where attacks were coming from.

- the inability to see the full map unless 'dropping-in' is a infuriating, and

- I really miss the number of kills being displayed during the action. In Warhawk, hen killed early on in by someone who already had an amazing number of kills meant that you subsequently knew who to steer clear of!!

BUT, these are all just minor criticisms chucked into the melting pot in case others feel the same. They certainly wont stop me buying the game. Well two games actually, one for me to use whilst working away from home as i do regularly, and the other for my sons who will no doubt take great pleasure in thrashing me! 

Overall, I think that it is a great looking game, and I look forward to seeing the additional equipment/weapons (empty spaves on D pad etc) when they are added.

ST

0 Kudos

/16

DozyHole

49%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DozyHole
Accepted Solution

Starhawk is great so far in my opinion.

Played 200+ hours of warhawk which means I was still a noob:). I think Starhawk is better for the following reasons:

1. No hover - I do miss hover mode but I think the game will be better balanced without it, just need to practice my strafing, but that's how it should be. I like the way the hawks need to land to battle someone on foot and if they are good with grenades or have a rocket launcher they have a fighting chance.

2. Build and Battle - Genius, you could have played it safe and just give us warhawk with better graphics but you took a risk here and the results are very impressive. Defenders are now builders, this makes defending more fun and you get to lay out your defences as you see fit.

3. Shooting - The shooting mechanism on warhawk was pretty lame, very unresponsive and too much auto aim. Starhawk brings it right up to date.

4. Graphics - Obviously a huge improvement.

5. Space - I never liked the look of this level at first but once I flew upside down underneath the map I had a star wars moment and have loved it ever since. Also, I seen the defensive domes are actually spheres and they look awesome on those floating platforms.

There is more, but I would say the above are the main things so far.

I know there are people saying, 'somethings missing'. I just think they may have had alot of quiet games, as I have, but people are learning. I have still had a few hectic games where you are rushing to get to where the flag has been dropped and battling hard to defend or retrieve it. 

So imo, it has the warhawk recipe and more. I can't be certain it will have the lasting appeal as only time can tell, but I can't see any reason why not.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel