Support for notification and background processing

by Potato4H3ad on ‎12-05-2012 09:15 AM

Currently, an inactive app is not able to do anything but sleep until it gets activated again.

Processing is simply prevented by the (PS specific) Virtual Machine.

So while playing another game, your app will just sleep and not process any events.

However, a lot of apps would benefit from a way to notify the user that someting interesting has happened.

A nice (but native) example is what Skype for PS Vita does when a new call arrives on the PS Vita.

A very simple example is an alarm clock notifying you that it is time to wake up.

I can imagine that there are many other examples that may want to notify users in order to inform that something interesting occured (like for instance a new news/chat/alert/call/... item somewhere on the Internet).

This all will not be possible if the Mono VM is really pausing apps during other gameplays.

Therefore, I would like to ask for support for notification and background processing

For this, Sony would need to implement a method that provides a way to disable pausing the VM.

Even if it would mean that this background process would run with low priority (to prevent performance hits for other apps), it is better than having nothing running on the background at all.

This suggestion has come up during discussions on topic "Notificati​ons when app runs in background" with (at this moment of writing) TeamICE1, niwrA and me (Potato4H3ad).

Forum members, can you please let us know if you also have needs for this support by placing a comment (or give a Kudo if you have rights to do give it)?

Comments
by nuekiseki on ‎12-05-2012 15:16 PM

yup waiting ps suite app to complete it's task without doing anything (gaming/browsing/social networking) is boring..
it's nice if we can leave it in background so we can do a lot of things with the device :smileyhappy: 

by L1Blom on ‎27-06-2012 12:30 PM

A light weight solution could be an API-call to register a program and time-to-awake. For an alarm clock that will be enough

by nervouscat on ‎08-09-2012 10:36 AM

Agreed, providing background processing will do wonders in terms of the applications that can be built

by Potato4H3ad on ‎08-09-2012 11:58 AM

Thanks for your comments nervouscat,

Happy to see your support for this suggestion...

About:

"... providing background processing will do wonders in terms of the applications that can be built ..." 

When notification and background processing would be supported, it is up to the developer to create these "wonders".

Currently it is not even possible to implement very basic notification/background processing stuff. 

And without it ... no such wonders.

I mentioned (just as an example) something very basic like an alarm clock that notifies you (while busy with something else) when the alarm time has been reached.

Many more useful apps will become possible ...if this functionalitey is available for developers.

by qwwater on ‎19-10-2012 08:10 AM

My idea will be not come true without background processing!!

by RexK111 on ‎23-11-2012 06:46 AM

That is an easy support by give palyer the choice to stop go into standby mode.

I just don't know why sony didn't allow this?

M looking forward to this, and my app or game really need this choice.

by PSM Dev Support on ‎22-01-2013 17:51 PM
Status changed to: Not Planned

by Potato4H3ad on ‎24-02-2013 13:43 PM

Although Sony has marked this suggestion as not planned, I would like to thank all people who appreciated and voted for this suggestion!

Thank you!

And ... hopefully Sony one day will rethink about this!

by FusionSecond-Dev on ‎06-05-2013 16:23 PM

I think it would be a big mistake if Sony did not provide background processing, its essential for most apps.

by WallyZ21 on ‎02-09-2013 15:55 PM

Yes. Very much wanted.

Will allow:

1) App to run as httpserver and faciliate display of product documentation.

2) Will allow music to play in background or music to play when screen saver kicks in.

How unprofessional is that, having the music app stop because the screen saver starts.

Labels